PDA

View Full Version : Ok ladies, what exactly is in that purse? Enquiring minds want to know!

Tornadoboy
07-16-2007, 07:12 AM
At one point my male protag is going to stray into mysterious and highly forbidden territory, my female protag's purse. So I was wondering aside from obvious things like personal hygiene products and makeup what does a woman like to carry with her at all times?

Tasmin21
07-16-2007, 07:17 AM
At the risk of sounding bizarre... I always carry a small screwdriver kit. You never know when it'll be handy.

And, as a mother, I always seem to have suckers in there too.

veinglory
07-16-2007, 07:22 AM
I don't carry any 'personal hygene products' other than a few days a month, nor any make-up or other girly stuff. Think whatever is in your pockets. Money, cell phone, credit cards and driver's license etc.

Siddow
07-16-2007, 07:27 AM
What do you want him to find in there?

Chances are, we'll have it. Since I don't have a cell phone, I carry a small address book, but someone with a phone probably doesn't. I have wet-naps, breath mints, a bunch of coins at the bottom, a little bit of trash (gum wrappers, straw wrappers, whatever I opened without a trashcan nearby). I used to carry a Lady Smith, years ago I always had pot in there, and condoms. Now I'm a married momma and have a spare diaper, a plastic bag with wipes, lollipops, tissues...and pens. Lots of pens.

Tornadoboy
07-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Actually my MP has a bit of fun speculating what is in there, it's a large purse. For the plot I don't really need him to find anything that interesting other than a couple of trashy novels, but I would like to keep it realistic and since he's a natural clown he would take any opportunity to poke fun at easy targets.

Mom'sWrite
07-16-2007, 07:42 AM
I switch handbags almost daily so things are down to the bare minimum.
1 wallet
1 checkbook
1 pen
1 tin of breath mints
1 package of tissue
1 cell phone
1 lipstick
3 dozen assorted lego pieces
2 die cast cars
7 small plastic dinosaurs, heavy on the T. Rexes
1 Hello Kitty figurine
1 Barbie shoe
1 rubber snake

Tish Davidson
07-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Swiss Army Knife
small, sharp scissors
pillbox with aspirin
small notebook, pens and pencil
wallet
matches (even though I don't smoke)
no make up
no personal hygiene products
wallet (no check book, though)
tissues
all those darned frequent buyer/preferred cards for everything from grocery store to pet store to store where I buy my alcohol
paperback book sometimesl

PattiTheWicked
07-16-2007, 07:53 AM
wallet
datebook
cell phone
one tampon
car keys
garage door clicker
one trashy novel (optional)

Medievalist
07-16-2007, 07:55 AM
This is awfully familiar (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54702).

Tornadoboy
07-16-2007, 07:57 AM
This is <A href="http://"http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54702" target=_blank>awfully familiar.

I couldn't get the link to work, did someone else ask this question too?

Medievalist
07-16-2007, 07:58 AM
You likely tried while I was editing; click again. And not the same question, but one that might also be of use.

Jo
07-16-2007, 08:04 AM
At one point my male protag is going to stray into mysterious and highly forbidden territory, my female protag's purse. So I was wondering aside from obvious things like personal hygiene products and makeup what does a woman like to carry with her at all times?

The only things I carry at all times are my wallet (with driver's license), keys, mobile phone and sunglasses. Depending on where I'm going, and how long for, I may throw into my backpack a few bandaids, tissues, a brush, hair tie, lip balm, pen and small notebook. As veinglory wrote, personal hygeine products only go in when required.

I use a bag that's bigger than I need so there's somewhere to put extras I may pick up while out, or carry stuff for other family members *looks squarely at hubby*.

Now if it were the 80s... different story. :tongue

Pat~
07-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Keys
Change-purse with credit cards/frequent user cards, but rarely cash
pens/mechanical pencils
sunglasses
small spiral notebook
lipstick
contac lens case
a few receipts
small hairbrush
cell phone

I carry the minimum in my purse; it's easier on the back that way. But my van is a veritable kitchen sink. (Books, tools, scissors, paper towels, tissues, umbrella, pencil can, mapsco, address book, CDs, spiral notebook, hand sanitizer, hand lotion, flashlight, extra sunglasses, water bottle, paper cups, plastic spoons, snack food, workout equipment and clothes...)

Soccer Mom
07-16-2007, 08:11 AM
What's in the purse depends on if she carries one of the cute, tiny handbags, or a monster mommy tote.

I carry a monster mommy tote.

You name it, I've probably had it in my bag at one time.

Scrawler
07-16-2007, 08:16 AM
I carry the smallest purse I can find-- a wristlet I think they're called. Aside from the usual (keys, money, ID) I have mints and a hankie. Not paper tissues but a real hankie. These were 2 things my grandmother always had, and when I was a kid, mints and a real hankie meant something special.

WriterInChains
07-16-2007, 08:33 AM
I usually have pages to edit, & a MapQuest printout or two hanging out with the change at the bottom. This time of year, I add allergy meds & kleenex too. :)

BardSkye
07-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Mmm, let me look. No personal hygiene stuff for me anymore; that was back in my pre-menopausal youth.

Keys, home and office
Bus pass
Address book
Cellphone
Wallet/Business card holder
Change purse for coffee
Small "Fat Li'l Notebook"
Pens
Smokes/lighter
3 flashdrives
Benadryl/Aspirin in the same bottle
Fan, for use during hot flashes

Britchik
07-16-2007, 11:03 AM
No makeup
Purse with cash and cards
Mobile phone
Bus pass
Keys
Chapstick
Asthma meds
Hairband
A couple sweets of some kind
A book, if I've got time to read

Nakhlasmoke
07-16-2007, 12:35 PM
book
scrap paper
pens
nail polish for my husband
loads and loads of restaurant mints for emergency child sedating
finger cymbals
rubbish, because there's never a bin when I need one
sometimes even money. :)

Sandi LeFaucheur
07-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Tissues
2 lipsticks
mirror
comb
pass card to get into office
feminine hygiene pads--3 sizes: liners, normal, and suitable to stop a hole in the Hoover Dam
wet wipes
keys
pass card to get into my parents' gated community
umbrella
cell phone
sunglasses
wallet
pay stubs
2 or 3 pens
chequebook
Advil
migraine medicine
Bach's Rescue Remedy (that stuff really works!)
a bandaid
Ricola
anti-histimine

Saanen
07-16-2007, 02:29 PM
I usually carry a small purse, but I switched to a bigger one last week so I could carry a paperback in it. Here's what's in it right now:

wallet
cell phone
change purse
keys
hand lotion
pen
chapstick
flash drive
half a bag of M&Ms

No make-up, currently no tampons or anything (this purse has no zipper compartment in the side, which is where I usually stash a tampon or two), no change in the bottom--that's what the change purse is for! The change purse also holds some dollars and a spare car key just in case. Oh, and obviously I took the paperback out.

scarletpeaches
07-16-2007, 03:49 PM
What do I keep in my purse? Money.

Now my handbag, that's a different matter.

HoosierCowgirl
07-16-2007, 04:20 PM

A billfold with ID and cash; sometimes the checkbook; pens and pencils and scrap paper; keys; library card; candy or gum for the kids; crayons; hand sanitizer, chewable Dramamine, chewable Benadryl, kid's Motrin; band-aids; lipstick; comb; Kleenex; and loose change. YOu never know in dangerous and forbidden territory when you will need to get a Coke from a vending machine ;)

Hope that helps ...

Ann

rhymegirl
07-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Do you really want to know?

Keys, billfold, comb or brush, tissues, pen, small notepad, grocery list, a few cosmetics, cell phone, and a revolver.

(no, not really on that last thing)

Perks
07-16-2007, 04:29 PM
There's a padlock at the bottom of my bag. I don't know why.

Marlys
07-16-2007, 04:30 PM
I tend to cycle between bare minimum and kitchen sink. At the barest, I carry only a little plastic holder with my license, gym card, debit card, and credit card.

If I'm carrying a small purse, I'll throw in lip balm, sunglasses, keys, cell phone, a couple of packets of salt (hey, you never know), some business cards and/or bookmarks, about two bucks in change, notepad and a couple of pens, some mints, and usually some hand lotion in the winter. I also sprinkle tampons among a variety of purses so I know that in case of an emergency I'm sure to have one somewhere.

Kitchen sink (used to be frequently, now only when traveling): all of above plus various pharmaceuticals (aspirin, Rolaids, Bonine, cough drops, maybe an anti-histimine, Band-Aids), a brush and/or comb, hair elastics, tweezers, nail clippers, tissues and/or Wet Wipes, a bottle of water, one of those emergency ponchos that's folded up into a little packet, Brush-Ups (from Oral-B--they're little pads you put over your finger and run over your teeth when it's not convenient to brush them), couple of Balance or granola bars, a paperback book or two, a pocket electronic Yahtzee game, Tide To Go stick, a pack of playing cards, day planner, perhaps some make up if I'm currently using it. I used to carry a Swiss army knife, but not since the airlines stopped allowing them--don't want to forget I've got it with me and lose it forever. Oh, and whatever's accumulated recently by way of sales receipts, movie ticket stubs, various pamphlets & free samples, other people's business cards and bookmarks, conference programs, city maps, and candy wrappers from times when there wasn't a trash can handy.

Azure Skye
07-16-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm a small purse carrier so I have a wallet, gum, some papers neatly folded and tucked away in a pocket, small bottle of hand cream, small pillbox for advil, chapstick, pen, and cellphone. I never carry makeup unless I'm going out and it's usually only a lip pencil and feminine products go in only when I need them.

C.bronco
07-16-2007, 06:42 PM
I have an awful lot of change and some crumpled receipts at the bottom of mine. Occasionally I find a paper clip or two in there, possibly a cheerio and a pack of matches.

Jersey Chick
07-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Wallet with license, credit cards, and reciepts in various stages of decomposition. I don't carry cash, but there's at least 6 lbs of quarters, nickels and dimes rattling loose in the bottom.

Cell phone

an assortment of pens, pencils, magic markers, and crayons from Applebee's.

two Matchbox cars

several plastic bracelets that belong to my daughter

a pair of earrings that I took off on Christmas because they hurt my ears. I tossed them in there - some day I'll take them out.

pink eraser (like the kind they used to give out on the first day of elementary school)

Bandaids

bottle of handcleaner (shopping carts get the grossest things on the handles)

2 pacifiers (keeps my son happy)

three Chuck E. Cheese tokens (dunno how they got there)

lip balm - always have at least one of those

photo holder that doesn't fit in my wallet

lipstick (which is funny because I almost never wear it. Still, you never know...)

a flattened penny from San Francisco (I've carried it for 12 years - if I change purses, it goes into the new one)

A guardian angel pin - just cuz.

A remembrance card from a wake I was at about three years ago. It seems odd to just throw it away.

keys

I think that's it - Egads, it needs to be cleaned out like now

MidnightMuse
07-16-2007, 07:00 PM
The answer is as varied as women. I hate carrying a purse, and rarely do. But when I do, it's a wallet, checkbook, cell phone, maybe a little notepad, and a few pennies on the bottom, floating around.

Never makeup, never hygiene products unless they're needed and that's the reason I'm bringing a purse somewhere.

scarletpeaches
07-16-2007, 07:01 PM
The only things I ever carry with me are purse, keys, mobile and foundation + concealer.

kenzie45230
07-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Big purse? Keys, wallet, checkbook, lipstick, mascara, sunglasses, reading glasses, small notebook and pen, paperback book to read, small Bible, mail that I picked up on my way out of the house, bills stamped and ready to mail,
granola bar, bottle of water.

kenzie45230
07-16-2007, 07:31 PM
I forgot. Always a camera too.

Kadea
07-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Tide To Go stick

Yeah, I'll second that one! If I had a dollar for every time I've been accused of being Kelly Rippa for carrying that thing around and whipping it out to clean a spot... I'm always getting a drip of coffee on my shirt or one of my kids is getting something on theirs. I've also lent it to friends to use...that is when I get made fun of!

Other than that, mostly the usual... cell phone, wallet, water bottle (yeah for the kids), business cards, lip gloss, powder, asthma inhalers (my son's and mine), benadryl (we are all allergic to bee stings around here), small lotion, purell (can't live without that, majorly cuts down on getting sick especially since we are Disneyland once a week), keys, old receipts that I forget to clean out...

Leva
07-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Well, all my stuff fits in a backpack rather than a purse that also has a small laptop in it. :-) But it's about the same size as a monster purse.

Aside from a miscellaneous assortment of the above mentioned items I also carry a pocketknife, a glasses repari kit, probably a few bills that need to be paid and/or mailed, a pad of paper, an I-pod, a couple granola bars, a bottle of water, and a very large assortment of medications.

Oh, and there's a laser pointer in the bottom of mine. I'm not sure why.

And I never seem to have a pen when I need one. When I don't need one, I find one by accident int he depts of my purse, and it's leaking.

scarletpeaches
07-16-2007, 09:37 PM
I forgot. Always a camera too.

I use the one on my mobile. It's 2 megapixels and takes photos of up to 1600 x 1200 in size.

sassandgroove
07-16-2007, 09:50 PM
My Mom doesn't carry a purse. But she has to make sure her pants have pockets. She doesn't wear jeans. A surprising number of women's pants don't have pockets, I suppose because we carry purses. I don't know about her menstral needs. I suppose she carries one in her pocket.

To contrast, I carry a large bag, complete with Ibuprophen, Tylonal, Gas-X, Sinus meds, chapstick, band aids, wipes, purell, etc, a legal pad, a wallet, check book, and various magazines/books, pens and spare keys and I am sure more stuff....business cards, gum, cough drops... (Man! I need to clean out my bag.) Those hand wipes fromBuffalo wild wings, stain remover. Change. lint. bills. Calculator. CELLPHONE.

I use a keeper (http://www.keeper.com/), so I don't carry that stuff. Hope that helps.

Mr. Groove (my husband for those who don't know me....) takes his stuff out of his pockets as soon as he walks in the door. He has a drawer in the foyer table with all his pocket stuff. I don't have the presence of mind to do this for some reason.
ETA: My dad does the same thing. I keep finding similarities between the two men.
Those are what I said in the thread Medievalist quoted up thread.

MidnightMuse
07-16-2007, 09:58 PM
--foundation + concealer.

I tried that once, but it didn't make me invisible like I'd hoped.

Redhedd
07-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Wallet
Checkbook(s)
Shout wipes
spare underwear for 3 year old
tampons
gun (Keltec .30)
swiss army knife
makeup
business cards
chap stick
purse-sized hair spray
comb
credentials/badge
camera
Aleve
purse-sized lint roller
eye drops
pens
PDA
small notebook

It's not a large purse either. I've named it TARDIS, because I'm not quite sure how everything manages to fit.

katiemac
07-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Wallet, keys, phone, chapstick. That's it.

Southern_girl29
07-16-2007, 10:47 PM
My husband calls my purse the Shelbyville Landfill, because we live in Shelbyville and you can find all kinds of junk in there. LOL. I just cleaned it out the other day, so right now, it's kind of empty. I don't carry a wallet anymore, because it was stolen. I have a small change purse that fits in the side zippered compartment that holds all of my cards and my money. I also have loose change floating around the bottom.

At any given time, I'll have pens, paper, a small notepad, mail, candy, my keys, tampons and Tylenol. I now have two rocks in there that my daughter found this morning and thought were pretty enough to give to me. I have other small toys that she's put in there. She thinks it's funny to drop stuff in there for me to find later. Usually, there are dozens and dozens of receipts in there, but I just cleaned those out.

Ziljon
07-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Leatherman tool
ball of twine
flint
magnifying glass
compass
duct tape
vial of morphine
grundig windup world band radio
Zebra telescoping pen
Moleskin cahirs notepad
mini Maglite flashlight
fatty sausage
chocolate

Melanie Lane
07-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Flash Drive
Portable Hard Drive
PDA
Cell Phone
iPod
Digital Camera
Gum
Money
Driving Permit (woo hoo!)
Nine Pens
Three Small Notebooks
Library Book ("The Woman in White")
Tide to Go
Cell Phone and iPod Charger
A/V Cables
Lip Balm
Roll of Green Duct Tape (...where did that come from?)
Drivers Ed Text Book
White Out
Hilighter
Sunglasses
A Fish Shaped CD Case (empty)
Sharpie (silver)
Trash (wrappers, reciets, etc.)

JoniBGoode
07-16-2007, 11:39 PM
I think this is a great opportunity to reveal unexpected things about the girlfriend's character.

I've recently downsized my purse, and developed a theory that the more money you have, (and the less fearful you are) the less "stuff" you carry with you. Just a theory.

(But, mothers tend to get in the habit of carrying everything that anyone ELSE might possibly need. And, I can't count the number of times someone I'm not related to has asked me for a tampon, a pen, a safety pin, change for the parking meter, Tylenol, etc. etc. I always had them. Moms also carry assorted snacks.)

There might well be items in there that your protagonist asked her to hang onto. I once dated a dentist who asked me to carry his dental floss and tiny notepad in my bag. I think it's still in the old big bag.

In the bad old days I would add: birth control pills (or condoms or both...your choice) sunscreen, bandaids, Tylenol, Aspirin (in case someone has a heart attack), eyedrops, sudokus (as well as a novel), printout of movie times at local theater, prescription pain relievers, business reciepts, stamps, bus or commuter train schedule, multiple pens & at least one pencil. Safety pins, needle & thread. Protein bars, bottle of water. I know some women who carry laxatives, cold medicine, Alka Seltzer and antihistimines, even though they rarely take them.

If you want to get technical about it... my current "purse" also has a laptop, power cable, security cable and portable mouse in it.

I also carry $100 in 20's in a zipper pocket, for emergency cab rides, or whatever. BTW, I'm in the "always carry tampons" camp. LYC.

jennifer75
07-16-2007, 11:52 PM

There is a great thread in here somewhere.... is more of a purse or no purse thread but may contain some useful info.

As for me... a wallet with all of the obviously necessary things within it and a set of house keys, lip gloss, cell phone, tons and tons of receipts. My purses generally run pretty small so no real hygeine products can fit in there other than a travel size tube of lotion or hand sanitizer.

I'm pretty basic. I try to do a run through each morning to eliminate the more unnecessary items I may have shoved in there.

BardSkye
07-17-2007, 12:14 AM
What do I keep in my purse? Money.

Now my handbag, that's a different matter.

:D There's the Brit/Yank differences showing up again.

My purse fits in my handbag which in turn fits into a carrysack...

JoNightshade
07-17-2007, 12:50 AM
Opening my purse...

Wallet (ID, credit card, miscellaneous store-cards, and photo of the adorable hubby)
Sunglasses
Cell phone
Keys
iPod
Retainer case
512MB USB drive thingie containing WIP
Scraps of paper/receipts
Pen
Change
Chapstick
A lego-man Robin keychain (dangling off purse)

stormie
07-17-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm not sure if I want to know what's in my purse. http://bestsmileys.com/eek/2.gif

Ab_Normal
07-17-2007, 01:09 AM
I tend to cycle between bare minimum and kitchen sink.
Same here -- I fluctuate from what will fit in my pants pockets to a purse. Since I started taking public transit to work, I'm carrying a backpack:

Notebook + power supply
PDA
Wallet
Umbrella
Keys
4 colored pens
Ergonomic combo stylus/pen/pencil (for the PDA)
2 USB drives
Book
The dreaded maxipads
Bottle of water
Lunch (or empty tupperware from lunch)
Some file folders with notes for my writing
Emergency backup purse -- if I go out to lunch, for example, and want to carry my PDA and wallet
Sometimes my dress shoes, if I forget to change into my walking shoes before I leave work

If we're going to a concert, I'll throw ear-plugs in.

Sometimes I carry my husband's dayplanner/wallet and sunglasses for him.

I never went through the "mommy has everything in her purse" phase; I guess I was a neglectful mother. :D

Norma

Saanen
07-17-2007, 01:30 AM
You know, this is fascinating to read! I don't think I've ever been in anyone else's purse except my mother's (which is full of old eyebrow pencils and change). I know my grandmother carries about 400 keys with her.

I only started carrying a purse about five years ago. Before that I carried stuff in my pockets or in a tote bag. Now I often put my purse down in a tote bag, where I always have a notebook and day planner, hairbrush, used to have a travel-sized deodorant but the last time I needed to use it it had melted, library books that need to be returned, odds and ends of receipts and papers, umbrella, bottled water, mail I need to drop off, etc. I never realized until now that the tote bag is actually a second purse.

TrainofThought
07-17-2007, 04:37 AM
So I was wondering aside from obvious things like personal hygiene products and makeup what does a woman like to carry with her at all times? Money
Credit card
License
Pen
Checkbook
Insurance card
Flash drive
Keys
Eyeliner
Lip liner
Mirror
Business cards
Lipstick
Lip-gloss
Phone
iPod
Protection

I think thatís it.

Skyraven
07-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Well, here goes:

2 pens - black and blue
refills (for the pens)
writing journal
Bible
wallet
address book
calendar
work and school ids
card key for work
money
articles - to read for class
and finally, drops for my contacts!

Hope this helps!

Skyraven

Check out my blog:

www.skyraven.blogspot.com

glendalough
07-17-2007, 05:52 PM
I have been known to carry an EMPTY purse. I know, that's weird. But it could work for your book. I LOVE LOVE LOVE purses, they are so pretty, like works of art. But I HATE carrying one. I know..weird. So I usually have my money in my pocket, credit cards etc in back pocket. Purse....empty. Or just coupons..out of date usually...because I don't carry my purse enough to have them when I need them.

LOL

Stressed
07-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Much prefer the fanny pack myself: itís great to strap it on and be hands-free, especially when you have kids to tend to. In mine live my wallet, keys, local beach pass, chapstick and a handipack of Kleenex. So, very boring! :Shrug:

threedogpeople
07-18-2007, 03:13 AM
wallet
keys
reading glasses
lip balm
lipstick
hair pick
RX bottle

job
07-18-2007, 05:17 AM
I carry a small backpack, rather than a purse.

Leesee ...

a wallet with
money,
credit cards,
all those buy-ten-cups-of-coffee-and-get-one-free cards for the places I go a lot
much ID
drivers license
picture of family
little buck knife about three inches long
antique silver case with asprin in it
St Christopher medal
checks
grocery list, generally
a few old receipts I've stuck in there to throw away
a small plastic chip that broke off my tail light that I mean to super glue back on but haven't

Then .. in the larger knapsack

small lined notebook about 2X4 inches
red, blue and black pens
hard candies
three pair reading glasses in cases
key ring with keys, library cards, grocery cards and a small flashlight
cell phone
a book
packet of kleenex
digital camera

Tornadoboy
07-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the help!

Here's another question to go along with the first, how would you feel about it if a man went through your purse without permission?

I imagine the answer is obvious, it's an invasion of privacy no matter what the purse contains and is overall considered rude. Although my female protag is a bit high-strung and would be alarmed no matter how the average female would feel about it, but it is done in an emergency situation so after some squawking she'll have to cut him some slack.

Fern
07-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Nobody touches my purse without first asking! Well, except around Christmas time when the kids sneak the receipts out of it to see if they got anything good for Christmas. You can find out all kinds of things reading people's receipts you know.

Usually they'll just bring it to me or ask if they can get something out of it (kids & hubby). I might also add that hubby gets the same respect regarding his billfold.

It doesn't happen often so around here they usually just get a stare down look and "stay out of my purse" comment and that's it.

I guess I watched too much "The Price is Right" when I was a kid. It's amazing what items they would ask ladies if they had in their purse & swap for cash. I guess subconsciously I keep hoping someone will offer money for something I carry.

There is a buckeye I carry for good luck & the small striped rock my kids gave me (also carry for good luck). I always have old receipts and a bank deposit slip or two.

I promise I don't smoke, dip or chew, but I live in Redneck Country and you might very well find a can of snuff, pack of cigarettes or tobacco pouch in a girls purse. Might be an all time thing and might just be something done when stress levels are high.

TrainofThought
07-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the help!

Here's another question to go along with the first, how would you feel about it if a man went through your purse without permission? He had better have an athletic protective cup on. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
07-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Ol' Boy won't even hold my purse, let alone scrabble around in it... not 'cause I forbid it, but because he respects my 'territory'. I don't go through his wallet, either.

And talk about your coincidence, the lead story in today's Sunday Oklahoman is about this very subject. Here's a link:

"Purse Contents Carry Significant Value for Many Women" (http://newsok.com/article/3087247)

Mom'sWrite
07-22-2007, 09:54 PM
The kids rummage around through my handbags at will. They are more apt to put stuff in (candy wrappers, half eaten lollipops, rocks and leaves that simply can't be left behind.) M puts his stuff in there too. (sunglasses, keys, cell phone. He can't stand to put anything in his pockets.) I'm the official family stuff schlepper. Watch me do my impression of a pack mule.

Saanen
07-22-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't want anyone in my purse without my permission, but my young nephews are an exception. My mom doesn't mind me going through her purse and never has, but I wouldn't dream of getting into another woman's purse just as I wouldn't dream of going through a guy's wallet.

Aeryn
07-23-2007, 03:16 AM
This is an interesting thread. ;)

So much interesting *stuff*! :)

I don't do purses or bags - well, occasionally if I'm going to the library or shopping I'll take a recycle-type library bag or 'green' bag to carry things in - so generally I just wear stuff with pockets so I can have a small wallet & keys floating around somewhere.

Is this a femininity thing I wonder?
Does having a purse stuffed with goodies correlate with a degree of femininity? Just pondering out loud.... ;)
I often wonder the same thing about high-heeled versus flat shoes....
Hmmm.
What is femininity anyway? LOL.

Not surprisingly, I wouldn't care if anyone rummaged through my wallet or pockets because there isn't really anything in there - including no money! LOL.

I feel differently about my computer though....no rummaging through my email or someone's head will end up on a stick! Heh heh....but that was not the question. ;)

Aeryn (possibly a man trapped in a woman's body)
xx

stormie
07-23-2007, 04:39 AM
As I stated previously:
I'm not sure if I want to know what's in my purse. http://bestsmileys.com/eek/2.gif
And neither does my husband and my two sons. :D

Symphony
07-23-2007, 11:42 AM

I always have a first-aid kit (mini one), a lighter (even though I don't smoke, but somehow people are always asking me for a light) and a bottle-opener!!

If your protag is a mum, then depending on age of children she'll often have a spare nappie (clean lol) left over from last visit out ... scraps of paper and colouring pencils, possibly a set of keys she doesn't recognise (!!?) and a half-finished packet of biccies

Symphony

LilliCray
07-23-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm the only one in my miniscule group of school friends who carries nothing of value in her purse... unless, like me, you think books are worth only slightly less than a fortune.

Last year, I had:
Writing Magic, by Gail Carson Levine
Pocket dictionary
Pencil bag
Assorted notepads
One or two novels
Pencil sharpener
Miniature stapler
Extra staples

And assorted odds and ends, such as a broken piece of plastic spiral binding... still don't know where that came from.

Kate Thornton
07-24-2007, 12:04 AM
No one goes through my handbag without my permission.

It contains:

wallet w/ID & debit cards, phone lists, discount cards to supermarkets, etc.
cell phone
comb
lipstick
compact
challenge coins
keys
one pen
business cards
gum
mints
hard candies
tissues
money
S&W .32
sunglasses
reading glasses

Chumplet
07-24-2007, 01:54 AM
Wallet
Business Cards
Digital Camera
Nose powder (no, not THAT kind, the kind to make your nose stop shining like a freakin' beacon)
lipstick
notepad
pen
assorted receipts
dental floss
keys with two novels on a USB data holding device (whatever...)
had to give up the cell phone for lack of funds, but there's a neat little cell phone pocket on the side *sob*