Reaction score
Reading_Test.jpg

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
The only thing is that all the letters have to be there. So you can switch them around, but you can't add or subtract any. So you have to be able to spell THAT much at least.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing is that all the letters have to be there. So you can switch them around, but you can't add or subtract any. So you have to be able to spell THAT much at least.

Hmm. So we don't just read by the first and last letter, we read by word length as well.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Tihs gvies me ieads. I tihnk I wlil witre my nxet nvoel lkie tihs. It'll be sicecne-fciiton aubot how the end of the wrold is buroght on by popele rfeuisng to slpel tihgns poreplry.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
That reminds me of a mind-puzzle a woman I knew at work kept in her cubicle. It was the words red, yellow, green, blue repeated, but each in a different color other than what the word said (the word "red" was in green ink, etc). The whole trick was to say the color and not the word. It took a little doing to get it right. I used to have a book of optical illusions and stuff like this - it was pretty cool.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
It's creepy that I can read that without faltering and just as quickly as I could have if the letters were in order.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
And here I am always trying to get stuff spelled correctly. Now I realize it doesn't matter!

That sucks, you know? Just think of all the time we've wasted over the years looking up words.

If nothing else, the test proves it's a losing battle for folks who feel spelling phonetically is the way to go...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing is that all the letters have to be there. So you can switch them around, but you can't add or subtract any.
Yeuo cnant?

This thing was put up on thousands of blogs as well as email lists and such somewhere around 2002-2003. It's been around the block a few times, and no doubt it's been analyzed, re-synthesized and re-analyzed a few times. It was around the same time as the "The world is going crazy, the best golfer is black, the best rapper is white..."thing that was going around. And there was the "miserable failure" search result, attributable to "the power of blogs."

Here's the original full-length version of World Going Crazy:

You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon. Need I say more?
At least we don't have Colon to kick around anymore.
So you have to be able to spell THAT much at least.

THAT. Sew their. Eye spieled eut.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't know the difference between a burro and a burrow doesn't know an ass from a hole in the ground.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
This has absolutely nothing to do with spelling, and more to do with the one true miracle of the human brain: unrivaled pattern recognition.

What spelling is, is setting down the established patterns of each word. Once you know these, reading that shit becomes easy.

Which is why I can read and understand a modern public-schooled loser's writing, but he probably can't read mine.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Weird how I couldn't get "phenomenal" without thinking about it, but I got "Amazing, huh?" even though the words were connected. I also had to think about "ideas" in a later post to get it. Does that say something about my mind, or suggest that certain words just don't work as well.