Parts-of-speech finder software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
There is a lot of software for helping writers organize their manuscripts, but is there any software for various parts of speech? I am looking for software that would help me find all adverbs, all adjectives, etc. I can't seem to find any writing software that offers this specific tool.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's all sort of programs to analyse your word usage, but I think it would be next to impossible for one to do what you're asking. Too many words can be used as multiple types.

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Try a google search for "POS tagger" to pick up some links. Most are probably going to be research tools used in the NLP field (Natural Language Processing), but you might be able to get some use out of them. Accuracy due to word sense disambiguation will of course be an issue, but there might be some POS tagger and WSD combos out there. I haven't actually looked since our company already has their NLP tool chain pretty tight for the moment (and I am just a programmer, not one of the awesome researchers who thinks of cool new approaches to NLP issues). I am not sure what the accuracy is on standalone POS taggers either since ours is chained in with other grammatical tools to boost its score, but you can probably find that info on the research papers associated with each POS tagger. Good luck!

:)

-Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.