PDA

View Full Version : List of publishers who WILL take direct queries??

nancyadams
07-16-2007, 01:38 AM
I have used P&E, but wondered if there is a list of publishers who WILL allow you to query them directly!! Where is it?

Also, I wanted to find small publishing houses, but when I googled it, all I get is self-publishers!

Thanks for any hints on this. lol

Nancy

johnrobison
07-16-2007, 03:23 AM
May I suggest you go to a large book store. Look in the area that contains books in your topic area. For example, if your story is about the battle of the Coral Sea, look in history, World War II. Look to see who publishes the books there. Look them up and learn more about them.

Small publishers are usually focused. And you want publishers who are already represented on book store shelves, because that shows they have distribution.

nancyadams
07-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Been there; done that. lol. Most of what I see are large houses that don't take direct queries.

So I guess there is no such list. I hope to see it someday, let me tell ya.

Nancy

May I suggest you go to a large book store. Look in the area that contains books in your topic area. For example, if your story is about the battle of the Coral Sea, look in history, World War II. Look to see who publishes the books there. Look them up and learn more about them.

Small publishers are usually focused. And you want publishers who are already represented on book store shelves, because that shows they have distribution.

Lisamer
07-17-2007, 02:55 AM
Depending upon the kind of book you are writing, DreamtimePublishing.com accepts direct queries. They pay a small advance and royalties, and the publisher spends every working moment of her day on book promotion.

Lauri B
07-18-2007, 02:49 AM
Lots of nf publishers accept direct queries. Take John's advice and stretch it a little further. look at a whole section of nf, especially those in niche genres (they don't necessarily have to be yours). See who is out there. Also take a look at some of the publishers that have been mentioned here on the boards. Many of the publishers in BBC aren't "bewares:" they are simply publishers people have asked about.
Good luck!

Oh! I just saw the thread in the AW Roundtable about legitimate small presses, and one of the posters has a link to a list. Go to the AW roundtable and look around--there is a lot of fascinating information about writing in general, and the small press link should be very useful

veinglory
07-18-2007, 03:06 AM
Make sure you are not confusing refuse to take unsolicited manuscripts and/or proposals with refusal to take unsolicted queries.

Billingsgate
07-19-2007, 05:24 AM
Actually, it can depend on the topic as well. For example, publishers of computer books actually prefer direct queries and are suspicious of agented submissions. I received this advice from two authors of computer books. I sent queries for a computer program how-to book to all the major computer book publishers (many are owned by the huge publishing houses). I got more than 50 percent positive, personal replies, asking for more info (in the end, no one bought it, but I did have serious back-and-forth with three publishers).

My wife wrote a book specifically aimed at expatriates, and submitted it to publishers who do a lot of overseas business books, and she got around 90 percent personal replies, at least 4 publishers considered it seriously and put her through the wringers for changes. She finally published it in Hong Kong. The lesson is, if you target your query to the right publisher/editor, they are often receptive. Our method was: look in Jeff Herman's Guide To Book Publishers, Editors... Then (IMPORTANT!) phone each publisher directly and ask the receptionist whether the person in Herman's listing still works there, and if not, whom to write to.

PatriciaL
07-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Nancy,

There are few shortcuts in publishing. While there are numerous directories to help in our quest to locate publishers, agents and book promotion opportunities (reviewers, libraries, etc.), I don't know of one specifically for the type of publisher you seek. I think your best bet is to spend time (perhaps at the beach?) with "Writer's Market." Pay special attention to the small press section. But you'll find plenty of publishers who welcome a query letter (or e-query) listed in the main "Book Publishers" section, as well. For greater ease in using this print directory, check out their book publishers subject index toward the back of the book.

The 2008 edition is coming out soon.

And no, I do not work for Writer's Digest Books. It's just that I've been a freelance writer and author for a lot of years and have found no other publisher directory that is as useful as this one.

Of course, once you select your AB&C list of publishers for your book, go to their Web sites (or write or call them) and obtain their Submission Guidelines.

Good luck.
Patricia Fry
www.matilijapress.com

byarvin
07-25-2007, 07:16 AM
I have used P&E, but wondered if there is a list of publishers who WILL allow you to query them directly!! Where is it?

Also, I wanted to find small publishing houses, but when I googled it, all I get is self-publishers!

Thanks for any hints on this. lol

Nancy

Nancy:

The book and website called "Writer's Market" has this information. When you buy the book, you get a scratch-off number that you enter into the site for a year's subscription to the database. The book has a blurb describing each house and the site allows you to search by keyword. Together, they get the job done.

I sold my first three books this way and highly reccomend it.