PDA

View Full Version : Is there a place to get feedback on your query letter?

nancyadams
07-16-2007, 01:26 AM
I've followed advice on writing a query, and thought I had a good one. But I keep getting rejections. I have a strong platform, and timely subject, and wonder if my query letter is the problem. Is there a place where you can get CONFIDENTIAL and PRIVATE feedback?? i.e. I'd sure not like to publically post it. lol.

Thanks. Nancy

johnrobison
07-16-2007, 03:21 AM
One thing I hear over and over, is people expressing the thought that the ideas in their query letter are some kind of secret.

Most people here have their own ideas about books to write. They're not interested in stealing your idea. I know it's hard to believe, because you believe it's the greatest book concept, but it's true. Just as you have your great idea, everyone else here has their great idea. And in most cases, your ideas are all different.

Some themes have been written about over and over. In that case, many here may think similar thoughts to what you propose. However, if that's the case, you should know now, because publishers want to see new things, not the same stuff a thousand other writers proposed.

I suggest you post it in the share your work area. If you don't want to do that, join a local writer's group and talk it over there. Of find some trusted friends.

There's less need for secrecy than you believe

jclarkdawe
07-16-2007, 03:32 AM
Go to query letter hell in the share your work forum. It's password protected so it won't show up in searches of the internet.

If you have a manuscript already written or researched, you're so far ahead of anyone who sees your query letter that it doesn't matter. Or another way of saying this is, how long has it taken you to get to this point and why do you think anybody can see your query and beat you to the punch?

Query letters, as any writing, do best with different viewpoints. As you will see in SYW, some people like one thing and other people hate it. The different opinions will be what helps you make the perfect query letter.

best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe