PDA

View Full Version : Drummer question

WriterInChains
07-15-2007, 10:36 PM
I asked this in the Music area, but thought I'd let 'er fly here too. Drummer jokes are easy to come by, but that's not what I'm after. So, here goes nothing:

In my WIP, during a break some guys in the bar are talking about the band & the drummer takes offense at a comment one of them makes. He didn't say the drummer completely sucks (& the drummer wasn't meant to hear it), but that's the way it's taken. I need a good comment for the poor bystander to make before he gets his ass handed to him. I have one I like, but I read it somewhere & can't remember where so I'm not completely comfortable using it.

If you were teaching someone to play the drums or a novice asked what they needed to improve, what're some things you'd say to gently point out their weaknesses?

Thanks a million! :)
~C

Maryn
07-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Dang, six months too late! My daughter used to date this guy (http://www.timyeung.com/gallery_single.asp?catid=2&pictid=4), who makes a nice living and is apparently in demand. (Not to mention lovely.)

If you're into music, you can approach drummers from local bands easily enough. Explain that you're a writer (not "aspiring," "unpublished" or any other negatives, just "a writer") and you want to get a certain detail right. I bet every drummer can talk about the weaknesses he overcame, or sees in other drummers.

Maryn, unafraid of musicians

Bmwhtly
07-16-2007, 05:47 PM
I can't really help with a technical, drumming put-down.

But I thought I'd toss out the comment that I have heard:
"If it's true that men are from mars and women are from venus, then drummers are from pluto"

Just for the sake of it.

WriterInChains
07-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi Maryn,

I work with a drummer, but he was on vacation last week when I realized I had this problem. The more ideas I get the more likely I'll find the right one, & since I've had such great luck here . . . I used to hang out with a lot of musicians (not all as hot as Tim, though), but my ex got those friends in the divorce. Not a shock; he plays guitar.

Good advice, I've used writing as a way to talk to a lot of people I otherwise wouldn't have. :)

Thanks! :)
~C

Bmwhtly -- Cute! Makes me think of Pluto from the Disney cartoons playing the drums. :)

Maryn
07-17-2007, 05:11 PM
FWIW, Tim Yeung's picture is at his website, which has a "contact" link that takes you to his MySpace page. It can't hurt to ask him what you want to know, saying you got his name at a writing site from the mom of someone he dated a few times. The worst he could do is ignore you, and you'd be no worse off, right?

Maryn, who likes the idea of Tim trying to figure out which of the bazillion girls he's dated this traces back to

The Grift
07-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Just make a comment about how drummers aren't actually musicians. Just imagine every comment somebody on this board has complained about in regards to genre-writers not being considered "real" writers, and change the wording to music terms.

WriterInChains
07-17-2007, 07:19 PM
TheGrift -- Thanks, that's a great idea! I'm going with comparing my character to a drum machine. The story's set in the mid-80s, so that just felt right. I asked a guitarist friend of mine & he spit a bunch of great stuff out with hardly a thought -- maybe it should've been a no-brainer to ask a guitarist how to insult a drummer? :)

Maryn -- I would, but I don't know if I could handle the upsurge in impure thoughts that would spark. I'm usually just below the saturation point as it is & I have a lot to do in the next two weeks. :D

The Grift
07-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Well, I am actually a guitarist... but generally a nice polite one ;)

auntybug
07-17-2007, 09:31 PM
You can't even go with a one-arm drummer insult cause the Def Leppard dude rocks!

My brother works with musicians - their favorite is "How many female musicians does it take to change a lightbulb?"

"One - she holds on to it & the whole world spins around her."

Must be an inside thing..... Sorry I'm blank on the drummer but if you ever need to pick on a female band person there ya go!

(please don't yell at me for that - I didn't say I agree - just passing it on:tongue )

waylander
07-18-2007, 02:31 AM
Have him say that the drummer speeds up through the song - it is a fairly common fault with not very good drummers

Bmwhtly
07-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Have him say that the drummer speeds up through the song - it is a fairly common fault with not very good drumemrsThat reminds me "How can you tell when a drummer's knocking on your door?
The knocks get faster"

WriterInChains
07-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks everyone! This has been an enlightening thread for sure. Now I feel a little bad for r/l drummers, it's almost too easy to mess with them. Reminds me of how I felt when I visited an RWA meeting & said I write Womens' Fiction -- I thought they were going to tear me apart.

antybug - I like that lightbulb joke! I've known a few female musicians who'd get really ticked hearing that -- but only because it'd fit so snugly. ;)

rugcat
07-18-2007, 07:18 PM
antybug - I like that lightbulb joke! I've known a few female musicians who'd get really ticked hearing that -- but only because it'd fit so snugly. ;)How many guitar players does it take to change a lightbulb? Five--one to change it and four to say, hey, I could have done that.

Bubastes
07-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone! This has been an enlightening thread for sure. Now I feel a little bad for r/l drummers, it's almost too easy to mess with them.

LOL! Ah, I wouldn't feel too bad for us! We're too simple-minded to get the jokes anyway. :D

How can you tell if a lead guitarist is at the door? He knocks out of time and comes in too early.

How do you make a chainsaw sound like a guitar? Add vibrato.

Tsu Dho Nimh
07-18-2007, 11:34 PM
How many guitar players does it take to change a lightbulb? Five--one to change it and four to say, hey, I could have done that.

One if you give him the tablature for changing a lightbulb.

waylander
07-19-2007, 01:22 AM
q: What do you do if a bass player comes to your door?
a: Pay him for the pizza

MattW
07-19-2007, 03:25 AM
What has seven arms and sucks?

Def Leppard.

(No precisely a drummer joke...)

WriterInChains
07-19-2007, 07:32 AM
waylander - Are you a drummer? :Hug2:
I'm sure you're nothing like my character -- he's one of the worst guys I've ever written, a true misogynist.

MeowGirl -- Love the "vibrato" bit, makes me think of my ex! :ROFL:
And I want to go on record as not falling for your "simple-minded" bit. Hopefully the effect isn't cumulative.

waylander
07-19-2007, 01:33 PM
A drummer? No.
Used to be singer (and rehearsal room booker, gig organiser, transport manager.....)

Rainy Night
07-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Have him say that the drummer speeds up through the song - it is a fairly common fault with not very good drummers

I once played with a drummer like that, we called him "Rhythmically Challenged"