Opening chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherilnc

How long does it take you get nail your opening chapter? do you write it after the majority of the book?

Any tips on adding fire to hook the reader immediately?

A controversial first line? A fight? A joke? nah...nix that, everything isn't funny to everyone.

Help.

Jamesaritchie

first chapter

Darned if I can tell you how to hook a read, just that it is necessary.

I can say there's no way on earth I could write the opening chapter last. Everything in the novel depends on that opening chapter. Everything springs from it.

As for time, it varies, but often it will take me almost as long to write the first ten pages of a novel as it does to write the rest of the novel. Those first few pages must be right, must set up the rest of the novel, or there's no way I can write a good novel.

cherilnc

Re: first chapter

Hi,

My problem with this book is that I started writing it online...and when I decided to turn it into a book I felt like it needed more background info on the characters to get rid of a lot of flashbacks.

I changed my idea on the opening I had because the comments in here made me look at it another way, bad idea opening with a dream. For the most part, this book is dialogue driven save for the first chapter, I just don't want to bore my reader before they get to the good part. I think the beginning of my book is somewhere in the middle and I have no idea how to properly reorganize it on my own.

maestrowork

Re: first chapter

I'm still trying to nail the first chapter, six months after I'm "done" with it. :lol

We all know it's important. But how exactly do we do it is not precise science (unless you're writing a formula book). But Uncle Jim's suggestion seems to help:

Put someone in an interesting setting and present him/her with a problem. Then make it move.

Tish Davidson

first shall be last

Tony Hillerman, the mystery novelist, said in an interview I read that he has a whole file cabinet full of first chapters that he has never used. He said he writes a first chapter so that he can get on with the book, and then when he is done he goes back and writes a new first chapter (or 2 or 3 new first chapters) based on how he then knows the story turns out - so whatever works is what works. If you can't get past the first chapter, try his technique. Write something, then move on and revisit chapter 1 later.

ChunkyC

Re: first shall be last

I agree with Tish. Get the story down. My original first chapter for my first novel finally ended up on page 325 or so, in a severely truncated form. Once the story is done, you should be able to decide if the existing opening is strong enough, or if you need to move some stuff around.

maestrowork

Hmmm... startling statement: check.
Action: check (not action packed stuff, but still some action and movement)

Not to mention: some kind of suspense.

And interesting characters.

And a hint of what the story is going to be about.

Flawed Creation

i re-wrote my first chapter several times. much like the aforementioned novelist. the first two chapters i wrote were the beginning and the end. then i started writing the middle. periodically, i go back/forward and changed the end and the beginning to match the middle.

currently, i'm trying something different. i'm not sure if i'll stick with it, but i used the end of the story for my first chapter.

after the war, the king gives a speech about the evils of the rebellion. one of the last surviving rebels (who is reconciled to the king ) stands up and shouts "that's not how it was at all", gives a short speech

cut to beginning of story...

i did this for a few reasons:

it foreshadows the eventual rebellion, explaining what the story is about;

it adds some tension to the beginning of the actual story;

it introduces immediately the most important facet of the book, the moral anbiguity. who is right, the rebels or the king?

SRHowen

Questions--you want the reader to ask questions: who? What? Why? How? Where? And you want there to be conflict or something out of the ordinary that makes the reader think--I got to know --see the questions.

Then you have a hook. It can be action, car crash, dead body, fight --but by action the idea is not to start out with a bunch of descriptions that don't raise questions.

Shawn

maestrowork

You also have to be careful about starting your book with a big bang. Depending on the genre, you may have a hard act to follow (unless you have more, bigger bangs later) and set up expectations that are too high. Again, it depends on the genre. Obviously if it's a thriller (as in Timeline, for example) you can start with something relatively exciting to set the stage. If it's mainstream, you can start with something relatively subdue but still "exciting" such as a death... just watch out because you will have to follow up with something bigger and better so don't use the biggest bang at the beginning.

Jamesaritchie

chapter 1

I know what I do in the opening chapter. I place the protagonist in a situation that leads to the rest of the novel. I also make sure the opening chapter either asks a question or introduces a problem. The rest of the novel will answer the question or solve the problem.

But how to do it is another matter. It's different each and every time.

And you don't have to start a novel with action, or with a startling statement, or in media res, or with dialogue. Each novel is different, each story is different, and you shuldn't apply rules haphazardly.

Chapter one must fit the novel you're writing and the story you're telling. What it must be is interesting. What it must do is give the reader a reason to keep reading. Each novel and each story demands a rule of its own, and a chapter one to match it, not the various rules of thumb you "should" use for a given genre.

Vanessa99

Re: chapter 1

~~~I like to make the reader curious. I will make my characters talk about something that happened but never actually tell them what happened. I will tell them how it changed everything and how everyone is gossiping about it, but i still don't tell the reader exactly what it is. I just add an extra word about the situation as a hint every paragraph or so. It stimulates the reader's mind trying to piece all the hints together rather than reading one of those detached paragraphs about whatever may have happened in the past. Basically I bring my reader into the story rather than bring the story to my reader.

Samueel

Still on first chapter

Yeah, I find myself constantly going back to write my first chapters...*sigh*...perhaps I'll just forget about it until the revision.:gone

Samuel.

maestrowork

Re: Still on first chapter

I just got a good fortune cookie:

Good beginning is half done.

killerkellerh

My first chapter starts with a murder. the first few paragraphs describe a mysterious unknown character driving a large van through a neighbor hood after midnight dressed in black and it is snowing.

my point with the open of the 1st chapter was to create suspense, then it progress 13 pages to a horrible murder. i hope i suceeded in my attempt at getting the reader to race through the first chapter as fast as possible, and the man (murderer) is never revealed, therefore setting up the mystery to follow.

:snoopy

I wrote the basic body of chapter 1 first, then as I have written 30 page segments, i have been going back and editing based on refining my technique and vioce and such. So since the original typing, i have added more to the begging of the 1st chapter and more to the end to beef it up and complete some ideas, but i am satisfied at this point with it and don't plan on changing the content again.

Keller

SpeedRacist

gotta open with a bang. I took some time over the opening of my mystery novel, but it already existed as a script, so I just went kinda with that.

I write the kind of openings that I would want to read. I realize that sounds :smack , but I think some writers forget that.

novelator

Ok, I have to ask and forgive me if the question's been answered a thousand times.

It's bad to open with a dream? Too cliche, too trick, overused, what?

Suppose the dream's a killing, that's bad?

Just wondering here.

Mari

Flawed Creation

probably. the question to ask yourself is why the dream is there.

what purpose does it serve?

will the reader feel cheated?

macalicious731

Unless you have something truly spectacular, I would advise against it. It's not necessarily that your sequence is bad, it's that there are so many out there that cheat the reader, most people are going to associate that with yours.

If dreams are a common reoccurence or have a very significant meaning in your story, keep it for now and you might find something better (or not) later. If it works, you'll know.

If it's there merely for "the hook," then you should probably figure out another opening. Action, suspense - all sorts of emotions are built up in a dream sequence, and even faster than they were made they're dropped when the character wakes up. There will be plenty of other actions, "hook" moments that occur later in the story and will be more relevant.

Good luck!

maestrowork

Cheating the readers right off the start is not a good idea. Remember, the author has a contract with the readers. If you break that trust right off the bat, it's hard for the readers to want to continue.

That said, if you make it CLEAR to the readers that the beginning is a dream sequence and that it is important (it's part of a plot, for example, because the protagonist is a psychic or something) and it's well written, the readers will give you a chance.

cleoauthor

Opening Chapter

I just finished the seventh rewrite of the novel I'm currently writing. And, of course, it was the first chapter I'm still tinkering with to get it exactly right. I can't imagine the number of hours I have spent on that chapter.

There's so much to accomplish in that first chapter: setting the tone, introducing characters, and most importantly hooking the reader.

A lot's riding on that first chapter. Makes me nervous and giddy and anxious just thinking about it.

macalicious731

Re: Opening Chapter

A lot's riding on that first chapter. Makes me nervous and giddy and anxious just thinking about it.

Sounds like you're on to something!

novelator

Thanks for your replies to my question. They've really helped me make up my mind.

While there is a paranormal aspect to the story and dreams figure into it to a minor degree, I have a staunch beta-reader who's insisted all along that my original opening--without the dream--is best. I think I changed it a few months ago when I was deep in the throes of what I call my "I suck" syndrome, a chronic disease that periodically riddles me with self-doubt. At least I've learned to stay away from the delete key when I'm in that mindset. Now if I can just quit trying fix everthing that ain't broke, I might get ahead of the game. ;)

Thanks so much.

Mari

Status
Not open for further replies.