Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I am doing a translation for someone and I need to find a legal term for "insult". That is, someone is being sued for "insulting" another. That's not the same as slander, but what is it? It's like if I call you an asshole in public.
The German term for this is "Beleidigung". That's the word I need to translate.

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
Would it be defamation? Maybe that's too much like slander. Assault (as in verbal) is another one I can think of.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Adding to Jo's post . . . both slander and libel fall under the heading of defamation of character, but slander wouldn't apply in the US just for insulting someone unless the insult also included some false statement of fact and actual damage to the person being insulted resulted. Are you translating this for a US audience, or for the UK? The nearest I can come up with is suing for "mental anguish". All of these are hard to win in a US court. And I'm no lawyer, I'm just going by what's generally known.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
No, it's for a friend who works in the German justice system. It applies to the German system, but the client is American, so though there is no real equivalent it has to be something he can understand.

Here's the text of the entire letter, translated as well as I could up to now.

"Insult" charges against you.

The responsible district attorney has passed the above lawsuit to the attention of the court assistance.

The question needs to be clarified whether you and Ms. M can agree to an out-of-court settlement. For example, your sentence can be reduced through an apology, monetary compensation and/or damage reparation, or even dismissed entirely. The procedure is voluntary and free for you. The responsible district attorney has assigned me to undertake a personal inquiry into the matter with you. I would like to ask you to come on x. x. xxx to the court assistance office of the district attorney's building, ground floor, rooms 1010 next to the elevators. Please call if you would want another appointment or if you have no interest in an out-of-court-settlement.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's for a friend who works in the German justice system. It applies to the German system, but the client is American, so though there is no real equivalent it has to be something he can understand.

Here's the text of the entire letter, translated as well as I could up to now.
In that case, I might use the term "verbal assault" and make sure somehow that the reader understood that German law allowed for such a charge.

Do you have to translate it more or less verbatim, or can you add to it in order to clarify?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thanks! No it's just a matter of the client understanding what is expected of him. I'll use Verbal Assault; he'll get it. I thought there might be a specific word for it.

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't verbal assault imply a threat/perceived threat of violence/physical interference? I'm no legal expert mind!!!

Would "foul and abusive language" make sense in context? Or was there an element of violence or sense of endangerment?

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I gather from your earlier post that this is actually a criminal matter (since a district attorney is involved), and the proposed settlement is being offered to lessen or remove the charges. In that case, "suing" is probably not the best term to use for the action (suing would indicate a civil matter). If you have a case to need it, then you might use "proposed settlement" or "fine payable to the injured party" in place of the word "suing". Again, I'm no legal eagle.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If this charge IS a criminal one under German law, then you might use "the criminal charge of verbal assault" or "the legal charge of verbal assault".

Just a thought.

You never can find a good attorney when you need one . . . ;-)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
In the US you can't sue someone for "insulting" you (otherwise, Jay Leno and Don Rickles et el will all be in trouble). However, you can with defamation of character (slander/libel).

Verbal assault or attack carries more meaning than merely an "insult." Belligerence is another word I can think of.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Picking up on the previous post, would "verbal belligerence" work? It doesn't quite imply a threat that verbal assault does.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
By the way, I gather from your earlier post that this is actually a criminal matter (since a district attorney is involved), and the proposed settlement is being offered to lessen or remove the charges. In that case, "suing" is probably not the best term to use for the action (suing would indicate a civil matter). If you have a case to need it, then you might use "proposed settlement" or "fine payable to the injured party" in place of the word "suing". Again, I'm no legal eagle.

Yes, it's a minor criminal offense so the word "lawsuit" I guess has to be changed. Also, I'm not sure if District Attorney would be correct; what about Prosecutor? The German word literally means "State Attorney". I just wanted the client to understand.

Like newmod mentioned, is the insult threatening someone (criminal offense), or is it just insulting them?

It;s enough to insult; you don't have to threaten. You can be charged with insult just by name calling, showing someone your middle finger, or pointing to your forehead. Doesn't happen often, but it is possible.

If this charge IS a criminal one under German law, then you might use "the criminal charge of verbal assault" or "the legal charge of verbal assault".

Just a thought.

You never can find a good attorney when you need one . . . ;-)

Verbal assault or attack carries more meaning than merely an "insult." Belligerence is another word I can think of.

Picking up on the previous post, would "verbal belligerence" work? It doesn't quite imply a threat that verbal assault does.

I'll explain it to my friend and let her make the choice - thanks to all of you. It's not as simple as I thought!

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
How about vilification or invective?

Vilifcation = A rude expression intended to offend or hurt.
Invective = Abusive or venomous language used*to express blame or censure or bitter deep-seated ill*will

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
How about vilification or invective?

Vilifcation = A rude expression intended to offend or hurt.
Invective = Abusive or venomous language used*to express blame or censure or bitter deep-seated ill*will

Bingo! The German wiki says that's another legal term for Beleidigung (Insult) in German is Invektive, so that's pretty close.
So that would do as well. The problem that "Insult" also includes physical stuff such as spitting o someone - anything that shows disrespect to another.

http://www.margaret-marks.com/Transblawg/archives/000054.html contains a little discussion of how to translate this term. It may be useful because its participants speak German, unlike us.

That's a GREAT resource, perfect, thanks! I'll send my friend the link to that article and she can decide. Guess there is no perfect translation.

Last edited:

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is slightly off topic, but what is so bad about 'insulting' someone?

If the word basically covers any mark of deep disrespect, then how do you express disrespect? Surely, the statement "I have utter disrespect for you" is an insult .. and thus illegal ?

What could be so wrong about expressing disrespect and contempt for someone who has earned disrespect and contempt ?

Mac
(PS: Resisted the temptation to invoke Godwin's law...)
(PS: Found this reference: http://www.hqjmtc.army.mil/legal/docs/German Law of Insult.pdf

A nice readable summary. Thanks for the chance to learn more!

It seems rather odd, though. Claiming that a woman is unchaste for example. So if you call a guy a stud, that's a compliment. But somehow it's illegal to use the equivalent compliment for a woman ? Bizarre!)

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I know this is slightly off topic, but what is so bad about 'insulting' someone?

If the word basically covers any mark of deep disrespect, then how do you express disrespect? Surely, the statement "I have utter disrespect for you" is an insult .. and thus illegal ?

Good article, thanks. I guess this answers your question, or maybe not:
Criticizing the shortcomings of another is not unlawful as long as measured language is employed.
So I guess it's not what you say but how you say it.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
OK, I got the lowdown on what the guy actually said to Ms M:

Listen you peace of shit. You ignorant peace of shit. You belong to the street. You need to sell your ass on the street. Slut. You trash.

My friends doubts he'll be willing to apologize. Can't say I don't applaud Ms M for responding this way.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a native speaker of German, but I'm Austrian. In Austrian Criminal Law, "Beleidigung" has two verbal types: "Beschimpfung" (verbal abuse), and "Verspottung" (ridicule). If this was Austrian law, I'd probably, as a layman, use "verbal abuse". ("Verbal Abuse" would be "Beschimpfung" rather than "Beleidigung". The problem with "Beleidigung" is that it's too general and I don't think English makes the same kind of distinction. "Beschimpfung" is concrete behaviour, though: abuse, by flinging words rather than, say, pebbles.)

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Verbal insulting = slandering

Written insult = libelling

Generic insult (includes both of the above) = defaming

Other option = causing him actionable psychological damage

NB - Another word for insult in the Writer's Handbook is 'agent'.

Status
Not open for further replies.