What's your genre?

jordijoy

In pursuit!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandrafoy.blogspot.com
I'm currently writing a fantasy, but I've done romance and multicultural/women's fiction in the past. So far fantasy is the hardest thing I've ever tried. There are days when I think "CRAZY" me. Then there are moments when a sentence comes together...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of writing do you enjoy most, elisabeth? If you tell us, we may find some common ground for discussion.

As for me, I only write stupid fishin' stuff fit for the creel. :)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Oh, I'm not sure a thread on writing is allowed here.

Is it?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
My genre? Pain...

rockyanthologycap.jpg

I write non-fiction (political/economic/social theory) and what I would describe as a psychological drama/thriller, though I fear publishers and agents may describe it as crap. We shall see...

elisabeth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elisabethwrites.blogspot.com
Well, I love reading non fiction, especially about history and the Middle East. I prefer journalism to fiction. My current library books are all non fiction. When I do read fiction it's from time of Jane Austen to John Steinbeck, so I have to confess, I haven't really read a lot beyond that. The last gothic novel I read was Frankenstein. I have never read a romance novel, I've read one detective novel, and the only fantasy novel I've read is Lord of the Rings.

I love David Sedaris and Sarah Vowell. Sarah Vowell is the reason why I started writing non school related essays. So, I guess my genre is (hopefully) humorous essays, despite the garbage on my blog. In high school I wrote comedic plays. I still love writing plays and skits.

Do I come off as a total snob? That's how I'm reading it. Sorry!

Justin91

Registered
Reaction score
I am still searching for a home. I used to write horror but I am losing a taste for it. Now I am writing just about anything that comes to mind. I read all genres…so it could end up being anything!

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I primarily write horror/dark fantasy fiction, and sometimes the occasional poem. I also do a monthly column for Absolute Markets.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...When I do read fiction it's from time of Jane Austen to John Steinbeck, so I have to confess, I haven't really read a lot beyond that...
Stop right there! Well, I don't mean you should really stop reading there, but Steinbeck is one of my favs of all time. :)

His son, Thom, published a book recently. The physical resemblance to his father is uncanny:

Thomphotobig.jpg

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
steinbeck's been a big influence. cannery row, the moon is down, and pastures of heaven steinbeck. not so much east of eden. not that i wouldn't give a couple fingers to write something as good as e of e (besides the two i type with), but i'm a sucker for the simple stuff.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mostly write dark and/or urban fantasy and horror. I'll just leave it at that for now...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
steinbeck's been a big influence. cannery row, the moon is down, and pastures of heaven steinbeck. not so much east of eden. not that i wouldn't give a couple fingers to write something as good as e of e (besides the two i type with), but i'm a sucker for the simple stuff.
And in that list, not a mention of Mice? We'll have to saddle us a Red Pony to find The Pearl in search of Tortilla Flat in God's Country to arrive at the simple stuff. :)

Poor Steinbeck never gets his due, even after winning that Big Award and all.