Selling Time

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
I am a children's author - up until recently I had sold things on my own - but about a month and a half ago I signed on with a top ten children's agent to take projects on for me. We just got started about three weeks ago on the submissions so I was wondering . . . Does the intial response of editors come faster to agents then it does to just us authors who are selling alone? About how long is the general elapsed time for agents to have an answer from on editor?

Waiting makes me kooky. I know my agent is working hard and getting things out there. This is one of those questions I just don't know how to call and ask . . . I don't want to get out on the wrong foot being a buzzing fly in someone's ear! I ask questions all the time - but this one is just still a little too soon to ask my agent. I don't want to sound impatient or rude.

Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated! =)

God bless!

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone? Free left over fruitcake for anyone who answers . . . ;) Hmmm - no takers. . . that's odd.

Hello . . . Is this thing on? :flag:

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
BrookieCookie, I'm sorry to say, no one knows.

Ask your agent how fast they'll read your work. If he spoke with editors on the phone, he may have some idea.

When my book was sent out in January, it was read immediately, withing days. Others have waited months.

I know it's hard to wait.

woof

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks John! :) It's nice to know someone understands the waiting . . . it's driving me to the mad house already! Thanks for your helpful answer! God bless! =)

I'm guessing you will pass on the fruitcake . . . lol

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I'm in the same boat as John (HA HA HA HA) get it???
I live on a sail boat FYI.
Anyway Lottery sold quickly. I see most authors wait months especially during the summer. Publishing slows to a crawl...

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Okay, Brookie, sit back and draw a deep breath. Everything is fine. Now, agent submissions generally do go to the top of the stack, rather than the slush pile. How long? Orion is correct...very hard to say and subject to each particular editor. Prepare yourself for a haul. Please don't be a buzzing fly in the ear. Get right to work on that next project and dream about how THAT one will be received.

And good luck and fortune to you! Well done!

Tri:)

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
The editor that bought my book sat on it for 7 months.

Sometimes it takes a while. Sometimes not. But be ready for the wait. :)

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Just noticed that Brookie mentioned "top ten" agents. I was wondering if you actually have lists of top agents in the US - sorry for my ignorance as I'm in the UK.

Congratulations on getting an agent, Brookie!

Begbie

Quite a character
Registered
Reaction score
The summer is notoriously slow in publishing. That being said, response times vary. A lot depends on the agent's relationship with the editor. Some take weeks, some months. I have an understanding with my agent: as soon as she receives word, she passes it along to me. I rarely contact my agent first, though she is always accessible. Waiting is awful, yes. Cross your fingers for a quick sale, but don't get too discouraged if your phone isn't ringing off the hook during the dog days of summer.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Like they all said, tough to say. For me it was 4 weeks, for others (ie the fab JK Rowling) a year. Yet still others longer than that.

Have patience, or I mean, at least pretend to have patience, it's hard to actually have patience I know in a situation like this.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Just noticed that Brookie mentioned "top ten" agents. I was wondering if you actually have lists of top agents in the US
No, we don't. I'm not sure what "top ten" means, since there are many more than ten top agents, and their "topness" varies according to subject and genre. The best agent for literary fiction, for instance, might be the worst agent for science fiction.

- Victoria

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! =) My agent is one of the best in the children's field. - that's what I meant by top ten . . . top in our genre. Big names and illustrators. Which is an achievement in it's self I suppose . . .the waiting is difficult but I trust that we'll make a sale soon. I have upmost confidence in her. Thanks for reminding me to not be a buzzing fly in the ear! =)

Thanks for answering - it's hard to know what to expect when you've never had any help selling. Thanks!

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
. . .the waiting is difficult but I trust that we'll make a sale soon. I have upmost confidence in her. Thanks for reminding me to not be a buzzing fly in the ear! =)
The waiting is indeed easier if you have complete faith in your agent. I assumed mine knew what she was doing, so I never called or emailed asking about what was going on with the book. (She did keep me up to date and informed when there was actual news, good or bad, however, which made it easy to be patient.)