Why don't they make them the same size???

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
So, ten days from now, the movers are coming to remove everything from the house. My parents are leaving for Peru and *gasp* they are taking all my books with them.

I don't know how I'll survive but that's a topic for another thread. Right now, I'm facing something of a tricky problem. How the heck do I properly package books? The books to box are our responsability, the movers only do furniture. I've tried them facing one way, facing the other, switching... Honestly, I've completed 1k pieces 3D puzzles that were easier than this mismatched connundrum.

I've googled for answers but only get advice on preventing humidity from getting to them, or bugs...

Is there some sort of freeky mathematical formula for making books fit inside a box???

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, you're female. Women know how to pack. It's in our genetic code.

Are you mutant or something?

But no, seriously, are we talking hardbacks or paper? First stack your books by size. Then get the right-size box. Shove them in. Done!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Packing books????

What are you? Anti writer?

What you do is you give all of the books away now.

Then you buy all new ones.

That way your favorie writers get more royalties!!!!

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
>__< I would but I have a sentimental attachment to my books.

Most of them are paperbacks but I do have some freakishly big hardcovers. And there are NO proper size boxes, I swear :S It's like they decided to annoy me enough to throw away all the books I have so they will have to carry less into the container. So what if I have more books than I have everything else (clothes, DVDs...) combined? *whines*

I have my books separated by size and thickness but there's always some space in between rows of books or books and sides of the box. I'd put the books vertically but my guess is that they'll get squashed. Can't let that happen to my babies.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live for puzzles. I love doing crap like packing books. Find some other puzzle nut to help. We really do get off on that kind of stuff. Place a big book wedged up in the corner. turn a smaller one the opposite direction. It's like laying bricks.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
So, ten days from now, the movers are coming to remove everything from the house. My parents are leaving for Peru and *gasp* they are taking all my books with them.

I don't know how I'll survive but that's a topic for another thread. Right now, I'm facing something of a tricky problem. How the heck do I properly package books? The books to box are our responsability, the movers only do furniture. I've tried them facing one way, facing the other, switching... Honestly, I've completed 1k pieces 3D puzzles that were easier than this mismatched connundrum.
Having been involveed with booksellers' forums, and having done this before (let's see, two moves of 1,200 miles and 7,000 book is about 8.4 million book-miles), I can offer experience.

I've used 12 to 13" cube boxes, and 13x13x16 (a little heavier) boxes, but for best packing (of the boxes around each other), just get a huge number the same size. http://uline.com is a good place to get boxes, I've ordered from somewhere else too, but I forget their URL.

Pack books flat, horizontal. If you must put books vertically (such as for filling in small spaces), be sure the spine is to the side, not on top or bottom else the spine and hinges WILL be crushed and damaged. I've done hardbacks horizontally as many as will fit, then filled the holes with MMPB's or digest-size magazines (Analog, Ellery Queen). This usually hurts the paperbacks, but saves the 'real' books.

Years ago I built bookshelves out of 6-foot 1x8 pine (1x10 for Quartos and magazines), six feet tall by about three feet wide. But when I moved I had to box the books... I started making bookshelves that are only about 18 to 24 inches wide, they only hold 100-200 pounds of books, and they are sturdy enough that I can turn one on its side without it falling apart, and move it around easily with a handtruck. Next time I move I can just move these shelves with the books on them, saving much labor.

Here's a pic of some of my books and other toys when I lived on Long Island:
guitars_books.jpg

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Really! I thought no one cared that I was out. Sweet. I have a small internet job that I need right now.

C'mere and let's sandwich rob and ray and zach for a group hug.

Terri, my friend, I noticed that you were missing. It just wasn't the same without you.

Okay. Sure. A hug sandwich with Rob, Ray and Zach. And that guy Ol Fashioned Girl posted for Maryn. We are gonna share him.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
This is the price I pay for getting into this thread which I thought to be about the difference in sizes of testies and breasties-woe is me!!!! Books? Boxes? Little ones together large ones together-if they do not fit just rip out pages or get bigger boxes-no need to thank me for my help-selbstverstandlich!