PDA

View Full Version : Stab wounds

miradoblackwarrior
07-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi, all--
I'm doing a story where the main character (female, 20's) is stabbed in the side, non-lethally, but enough that they would have to take some time to heal. Does anyone know where that location(s) might be?

This character would be treated with pretty much basic first aid, so it would have to be a wound that would put her out of commission, perhaps threaten her life, but would be survivable, with care. By the way, no hospitals are available, so surgery is out of the question. The most medical knowledge on scene would be a registered nurse.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Many thanks!

Monkey
07-13-2007, 07:56 PM
A stab that doesn't hit the flesh straight-on but ends up sliding across the side would be pretty easy to describe that way. Get anywhere around the navel, though, and you start getting into the diaphram/abs area...and I'm pretty sure that nothing around there can be punctured very deeply without serious trouble. Sliced, maybe, but not stabbed.

I'm not a registered nurse, and I haven't been stabbed in the side. My thoughts on this come from 1) my husband's uncle, who was sliced across the stomache with a boxcutter (he ended up holding his guts) 2) what medical knowledge I picked up in school and from my mom, a nurse and 3) my experience having that area sliced during a C-section. I could be wrong :)

Parkinsonsd
07-13-2007, 08:49 PM
You would want to avoid the kidneys, the liver, the intestines, etc. Depending on the depth of the wound, i.e., whether it's a sword or knife your mc is stabbed with, you would probably be safe with a wound between the ribs and the hip as far off to the side as possible. Also, an upper shoulder wound where a lung is not punctured.

Go to an anatomy site, look at the vital organs and just put the blade where they ain't.

Soccer Mom
07-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Up around the ribs might be a good choice. If the knife struck a rib, it wouldn't go in as deeply. A slash wouldn't penetrate as deeply as a stab either, but could still be very nasty.

reenkam
07-13-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't think there's anything vital on the fleshy side of your torso. Kind of right above the hip. It'd probably have to be a slice more than a stab not to do any terrible damage, though.

l_clausewitz
07-14-2007, 11:23 AM
This link might be of some use:

http://www.rpg.net/columns/medical/medical1.phtml

Redhedd
07-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Having been stabbed, I can attest that any deep wound has the potential for peril from infection.

Okay, I admit it, I was stabbed in the lower portion of the side of my buttocks. <g> 4 inches deep. Felt like cold fire going in, then progressed to a constant poounding ache. It sounds funny to be stabbed in that area of the body, but I was exceedingly lucky that it didn't hit either the sciatic nerve or the femoral artery. And any deep wound will hurt like the %$#@%! for quite some time. Also very hard to walk/run/fight.