Message boards about PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, except for the areas in quotes the following is my opinion.

When I started checking message boards for writers that would allow me to express my thoughts about my arbitration I found two initially. I found the Guild, and I found AW. I posted in both places, and often my posts seemed to be lost at AW in part because of the sheer number of posters, and probably in part because no one knew who I was. No problem.

It was easier to maintain my focus and continue a thread at The Guild, and I have done so.

Someone then suggested to me that I take a look at The Author Society, as a number of PA authors were posting there and I did so. I assumed we could have some meaningful dialogue.

Within a day the thread I posted on was closed by Mel. The discussion had been spirted, but polite. Nonetheless it was squelched. I don't like censorship and I deleted my account with them. They reopened the threat and set new rules for posting about certain topics. But the pattern was already clear. I was invited back, but there is no reason for me to be there.

And so I don't post there, and I will not post there. It has nothing to do with the people; it has to do with their policies. I still read their posts though.

I was perusing the posts at The Author Society today. And I found this.

"It sounds funny, but it's true. A crackerjack message board with slushie innuendo said I act as a minor league Mac Stone and they called me a message board god who you must constantly keep happy. Can anyone else see the immaturity and asinine attempts to keep our numbers low? They often put out false rumors that the administration and the moderator bans and deletes posts on a whim. I haven't checked with Mel, but I haven't deleted a post in months.

If you're a lurker to this site, don't believe what the smear merchants would have you to believe. We're not message board bullies. We won't tolerate a blood letting like you'll see on Absolute Write, but we don't put the kabash on topics easily either.

Step out of the shadows and join.

Jeff"

The message he refers to was posted at the Guild in response to my post about the thread being closed. I don't have to defend the author of the original post, although HIM I respect.

And Jeff, this is a post made by Mel on AW on 7/11/2007, "You would not appreciate Jeff's board, ALL those posts I delete. Get real."

No one has to make an effort to keep the numbers low at The Author Society. In my opinion, y'all are doing a fine job of it yourself. You certainly drove me away in record time and I am one of the most stubborn people I know.

I am posting this on AW because the Guild is closing, and although I would have responded privately to you Jeff, you chose to make your statements public and I feel they need to be addressed.

Marie Pacha

Last edited:

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh 'Alien Enigma'... ask him if he really thinks he won the debate with Uncle Jim? If he still says yes than he really is form another planet.

Jeff is just another rabid PAvidian... nothing more. let him play demigod in his little off campus PAvidian playground.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Marie, I'm sorry you were treated so badly there. Jeff has issues, that's the kindest way I can think of of putting it, you only need to read his posts to see that. People look at the Author Society and then choose not to join. It could be how it's run, it could be the censorship issue or the narrow range of authors, the PA focus and experience etc, each to their own. Blaming AW for your own failings and those of your forum is pretty miserable. He's probably only posted that hoping to get a few more guests on site though I doubt that they will join.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
My opinion?

That post he referred to is old and he took it out of context of the discussion. I'm not sure why he felt it important enough to address on his site, except perhaps he wants to explain why their membership is low. Easier to blame it on someone or something else than accept responsibility yourself isn't it?

He didn't respond to the original message himself, but he's read it, so apparently he's "lurking" himself (his word, not mine.)

Treated badly? Nahhh, I just thought it was silly to cut off the thread in the first place. And if I remember correctly Jeff was not around, it was Mel who was in charge in his absence. But it's his site and that reflects on him.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
We're all aware how Jeff (AW member "Alien Enigma") feels about AW. He has issues that have nothing to do with AW.

Every now and then he pops into the PA threads here and takes a swing at Uncle Jim. He posts in a couple other areas and actually placed some of his work for crit in SYW. He's harmless. Many of his posts in the PA threads I find quite amusing. There's really no other way to look at them anymore.

Don't let people like him get under your skin. Not worth the time and energy.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Under my skin? No, it's not that.

It's the fact that the administrator and the moderator of The Author Society come here to post and say things they would close or delete on their own site. If anyone else had made similar comments about the PAMB on The Author Society I bet that thread would have been shut down faster than I can blink.

I don't like the hypocrisy inherent in that policy. I just don't.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
But this isn't the place for inter-board squabbles either. Whatever problems the Author Society has with the Guild, and whatever problems the Guild has with the Author Society, is for them to work out themselves.

Just sayin'.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I posted this as a separate thread so as not to disrupt any other discussions, and took advantage of the leniency of this board in permitting more confrontational issues.

I refuse to post on the Author Society now, and I know both Jeff and Mel post here, and I wanted them to see my comments.

I apologize to the forum if I am out of line; not for my opinions, but for expressing them here.

Marie

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I don't get your point. If you don't think you were treated badly and you don't feel these people have got under your skin, then what are you trying to say in this thread?

Are you trying to "expose" members in AW who aren't what they appear to be? If you are, we already know who they are. No big deal. They are welcome to post and express their feelings in AW so long as they continue to respect fellow AW members.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't like that they shut down the thread when the discussion was getting interesting, but I didn't take it as a personal insult.

Brian, I guess it's just that I wanted to state my personal opinion; no more and no less. And now I have done so.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I just realized that my stubborn nature is preventing me from responding to the irritation in the direct manner I am used to. So I am going to post my message where it belongs; on the Author Society, and respond directly to Jeff.

I apologize again for posting this here, and politely request that this thread be closed or deleted.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Delete this thread? Doing so would lower this particular forum to the level of some where no free speech is truly tolerated unless it's in the form of an ego stroke to those operating them.

As far as not I'm concerned, forums should be held accountable for their operations just as I believe that agencies and publishers should be held accountable for theirs. If a forum isn't permitting true free speech by all authors, then it's not really a forum. It's nothing more than a propaganda instrument even if it's not operated by the business benefitting from the propaganda.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
That is one of the things I appreciate about this forum.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Not to worry, Marie. Jeff may wander over here when the spirit moves him to regale us with some argle-bargle about the censorship on his board (or lack thereof). Until then, I think you're taking the high road, and showing class.

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I posted similiar things about a board, it is in the bewares thread. It was promptly closed after I gave information on the board and what I was upset over. You might be careful disclosing info on some boards, they can be two faced.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Marie,

Don't worry about Jeff. His opinions are not worth fighting over. Just remember, he has a very high opinion of himself. Such an attitude can really bite, especially when that opinion is contrary to the truth about certain things ... in this case PA.

But the way I look at it now, is, would I rather be arguing with someone who doesn't know half what they think they do about the literary world? Or would I rather listen to the opinions of people who do know what they're talking about?

Many here know that I'm highly opinionated myself. Sometimes, this gets to the point I literally explode with anger over little, tiny things. You just have to consider the source, and if it's someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, better to just brush it off than raise your blood pressure. That's something I've just the other day put into practice, and I can tell you, I'm a lot more calm now that I've done so.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

:)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Marie, no problem. :) I'll close the thread, though. We do have a loose policy that issues from other boards remain on those boards, but you've not offended anyone at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.