Synopsis

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuliePgh

Hello, everyone,

I don't typically suffer from writer's block, except when it comes to writing a synopsis. I'm not sure what's throwing me, if it's switching from past to present tense or the "worry" of hitting the highlights just right. Yes, 'pretending I saw my novel as a movie last night and telling it to a friend' is a good idea in theory... once I get myself started.

If anyone is willing to provide a portion of their own synopsis, or helpful hints, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

SRHowen

Try this.

From a workshop I have taught at young author's conferences.

Start out by writing a one line plot summery of your novel. What is it about?

Detective uses one serial killer to find another. (Silence of the Lambs)

Supreme being creates a race of beings who then turn against their creator. (The Bible)

One line and one line only.

Once you have that down, make a list of the characters that move that plot along--your main characters. Write a short blurb about each character (note, not physical descriptions unless they are essential to the plot)

Next, write a one line summery of each chapter--but only how it pertains to the one line summery of the complete work.

Now, you start your synop with the character sketches. A lot of info that you would try to work into the synop is no longer needed--you have introed the characters and their place in the story already.

Put the one line chapter summaries together. Fill in to make a smooth transition between them, keeping in mind that one line whole book plot summery, nothing belongs in the synop that does not support that one line over all summery.

Good luck,

Shawn

Jamesaritchie

I hate writing that kind of a synopsis, and as an editor, I hate getting them. I much, much prefer the way Robert Sawyer writes them.

SRHowen

This way often works for those who are having trouble getting the basics down, and different editors prefer different sorts of synops. Shrug. Can't hurt to try both ways and see what works for you.

Shawn

Gala

Jamesa--that ref you gave has problems. Major typos on the main blurbs. If that guy is an editor, he needs to hire one.

What do you think?

I agree, and know editors and publishers who do as well: be able to state the premise of your book in one sentence. Know what you've got.

Some writers make the synopsis before the book, unlike the site jamesa mentions. This is fyi. I prefer to wait until the book is done.

Can you roundtable your synopsis with others?

cwfgal

synopsis

I don't know if it will help or not but on my web site I have posted the query and synopsis for the first novel I sold. They have a few faults, but they worked.

Beth
www.bethamos.com

SRHowen

Re: synopsis

Another advantage to the one line summery is that it prints well on the back of business cards. Include the title of your work on the back, with the one line summery and you have a wonderful conference tool--hand them out when you get the chance to intro yourself to editors and agents.

I write the synop when I am done with the novel. And I use the character sketches and the one line summery of each chapter as a reference to help me see only the facts needed to tell the story. A synop is one place where you want to tell not show. Everything you say should spin out from that one line summery.

And if you have good character sketches that define the character's role in the story--not John likes to roller skate, but-- John, an avid roller-skater meets Sue at a roller rink, half your battle is done in just the character sketches.

Then you can tell the story like you just saw the movie and are telling a friend about it--the hard part or should I say one hard part is that you try to intro the characters as well as tell the story in most synops, but by using the character sketches you don't have to define the role of that character, the reader is already introduced to the characters.

When you say in the synop, John hides a bomb in the bathroom at the roller rink and makes sure Sue gets out before it goes off, the reader already knows Sue works at the concession stand and that John was there skating. And they know he set the bomb because Tom beat him at the limbo contest, it's already been said in the character role sketches--so you just tell the story as if the listener knows the characters and their motivations as well as you do.

IMHO every author should have a one line synop, a two or three paragraph synop, a two or three page synop and a very fleshed out as many pages as it takes synop. BEFORE you start sending out queries. Then when an editor or agent asks for more details or further material, you already have what they want done and ready to send.

Shawn

maestrowork

Try writing synopsis for movies (or books) you've seen/read. I'm a reviewer so I do that all the time, and it helps me in writing one-line or one-paragraph synopses.

It's harder to do when you're writing one for your own story, but if you have allowed enough time to distance yourself from your own work (let the draft sit in a drawer for a month or two, for example) then it becomes easier. Think of it as a movie you want to tell your friends about... what would you say in a sentence or two?

cwfgal

Some writers make the synopsis before the book, unlike the site jamesa mentions. This is fyi. I prefer to wait until the book is done.

Developing a synopsis before you write the book can be a good habit to get into. If you sell one novel, there's a good chance the publisher is going to ask for a synopsis for a second novel (unless you have the second book done already). And thinking out the various plot points ahead of time prevents spells of "writer's block," which helps to keep the writing moving. And it's okay to deviate from a synopsis if, while doing the actual writing, you discover you want to take the story in a different direction.

Beth

macalicious731

When I'm stuck or blocked, I like to write a little synopsis. I think it helps to get everything flowing again, plus it pinpoints themes and direction. If it changes later, it's no big deal.

cwfgal

synopsis

I think it's actually easier to write a short, concise synopsis if you do it before you've written the book. After you've written the book, you know too much.

For me, trying to write a novel without some form of outline or synopsis is like trying to build a house without a plan or blueprint. I have tried it, but invariably I get bogged down and stuck at some point and to get going again I have to develop a synopsis or outline.

Beth

JuliePgh

Thank you, everyone.

I started Shawn's method and I like how it's working. I'm reading through Robert J. Sawyer's website and will try that approach next, then compare. As always, thank you for the wonderful advice!

Julie

macalicious731

FC, that's the link James A put in the second post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.