Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
If an editor sends you a rejection, but then asks that you write a very specific story for their magazine--isn't that a mixed message?

This-- This isn't different emails, either. o_o "We don't like your story, please write one like this for us."

Is this common?

I wonder if they're desperately short of regular contributors or something...

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Sounds to me they like your writing, but weren't particularly into your plot. Seeing as how they asked you to write it, I'd expect you to stand a good chance of getting published with them if you send them the type of story they asked for.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Hmmm. Sounds like they love your voice and would like to see it morph into one of their ideas. Not unusual. Send that story out until hell wouldn't have it to other pubs, kick back and take a long swig of Jack, and consider the possibility of writing for the house. A lot of times this comes with no guarantees, but they might just work with you on it. I wrote two such stories on spec with a small mag and copped some pay.

My agent just recently dropped a little gem in my pocket and asked me if I was up to trying out a certain genre with a certain paranormal character. It seems that he garnered very specific requests for it from quite a few large house editors. Tri went, "okie dokies, giddy up." Hell, it's worth a shot.

Follow your heart, Bart, my man. And happy hunting.

Tri

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it couldn't hurt to write another story. If they reject it, I've just got something else to sub around.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
There are some similarities between literature production and non-fiction (NF) production-this instance is one of them.

It is not unheard of for an editor of a NF magazine to turn around and request changes to the originally submitted query, or reject it while offering 'his' idea in return. If the latter, the editor generally gets an idea of the writer's interest in doing the piece. If the writer is, it is then possible to proceed to negotiating a proper, signed contract. Perhaps you might be able to negotiate a contract as well...?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Story

Well, if you can write at all well, it's not uncommon. It just means the editor likes your writing, but not the particular story he rejected.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If an editor sends you a rejection, but then asks that you write a very specific story for their magazine--isn't that a mixed message?

This-- This isn't different emails, either. o_o "We don't like your story, please write one like this for us."

Is this common?

I wonder if they're desperately short of regular contributors or something...

Why is it odd? Embrace it. All it means is that he can't publish the one you submitted, but he likes your writing, and would like for you to write one for them (and pay you, I suppose).

Go for it.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Bart! Looks like you might have an In with this editor if you can whip up what he asked for, go for it! :D

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My agent just recently dropped a little gem in my pocket . . . Tri went, "okie dokies, giddy up." Hell, it's worth a shot.

Giddy Up indeed ! ! :) I'd kill three people and a cow for a chance like that.

Bart, I'd say give it a try, if it's something you don't mind writing, see what happens. What could it hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.