help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritinrider

Here's the problem, I'm working on a western novel set around 1864-66 somewhere between Texas and Arkansas. Well, it starts in TX and ends in AR. Thing is I mention the Starr family (as in Belle Starr) and they were in Texas and Arkansas. But Belle wasn't a Starr until 1880.

Can I just ignore the fact that the dates are wrong, or should I change the premise a litte? Just writing this out I've got an idea how to fix it. Am still interested in ya'lls take on it.

Thanks,
Nita

Gala

Fiction isn't the truth

Unless you're batting for historical fiction genre and readers, don't worry about it.

Dan Brown has historical figures alive long after their death in the DaVinci code, for example. And look at the results.

macalicious731

Re: Fiction isn't the truth

If you mention the Starr family at that point in time, is it necessary in the story that you even name Belle? I don't know anything about the family you're talking about, but if I did I would be put off and wouldn't appreciate the time exchange.

If you're tossing the name around, I'd just leave it out entirely. If it's integral to the plot, see if you can change the period to twenty years later so it fits.

(Or, do a little more research. Was Belle involved in the family before, and then only married in the '80s?)

Writing Again

Re: Fiction isn't the truth

(Or, do a little more research. Was Belle involved in the family before, and then only married in the '80s?)

As a matter of fact she was.

detante

Reader trust

Who is your target audience? Is this going to pull them out of the story? Will the reader hold it against you if they find out later that you didn't have the facts straight?

Personally, if it can be fixed, I would. It seems dangerous to knowingly violate the reader's trust. It may not affect sales of this book, but eventually the audience will catch on if an author plays fast and loose with the facts. In my opinion, it's not worth the risk of losing creditability with some of readers. YMMV.

Jen

HConn

Re: Reader trust

I think you should be as accurate as you can, unless the inaccuracy benefits the story so much that people don't care that you have the history wrong.

Jamesaritchie

Get the dates right. If you don't, critics and readers will eat you alive, and they should.

Greenwolf103

HConn said:

I think you should be as accurate as you can, unless the inaccuracy benefits the story so much that people don't care that you have the history wrong.

Look at Braveheart. (Although a number of historians still complained, anyway.)

annied

I agree with James and the others that say get the dates right. If this is a historical novel (and it sounds like it is), then it's crucial you get the timeline straight. People do notice things like that.

If Belle was involved with the Starr family in the '60's, then you can find out how and when. That would be consistent with the times. If the Starr family plays a crucial role in your story, go ahead and forward the setting twenty years. It would change your story, but it could also open up other possibilities for it.

Just puttin' in my two cents worth. Take it or leave it. :grin

Annie

ritinrider

Thank ya'll kindly for your advice. Sort of what I was thinking. It's more important to me that the story take place following the Civil War, so I think I'll leave the Starr family out of it. Since I've tried to be accurate on other details, seems almost a sin to fudge on this factor. Especially when it's so easy to fix.

Thanks, I'll go write now.

Nita

Elyse

Being a direct descendant of Belle Starr (I'm from OK), I do beg of you to get the dates right.

Elyse

Jyndral

Being a direct descendant of Belle Starr (I'm from OK), I do beg of you to get the dates right.

Elyse,

Nita (ritinrider) & I are both from OK, too. Do you still live in OK? (Just curious.)

I don't have proof, but there's a few stories circulating that Belle Starr & all are somehow tied in to my family tree, too.

Nita,

Call Robbers Cave!! I'd be welling to bet there's someone there who'd be able to answer or at least point you in the right direction.

~Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.