Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there everyone!

I likely should have read the sticky thread in this forum before posting, but hey, it's more fun to wing it and look like a moron, right?

So far, the only writing I do is for myself. Why? Because I'm hopelessly insecure. I write some poetry, a lot of prose, keep online journals, administrate a forum (unrelated to writing), and offer my editing services for people online who write certain fanfiction. (What can I say? It makes me laugh and keeps me sharp!)

I've always been told I should write publicly because I'm bold, amusing, opinionated, odd, and intelligent enough to tell you when the 1-1-1 rule applies and when it doesn't. I've always not written publicly because - while I realize it logically isn't a competition and she is the best writing resource I know - I don't have the confidence to go up against my mother.

Sufficed to say, she is an author. A good one. *sigh*

That
depressing peek into my psyche aside, I can boast a bit of an insider's view of the writing/publishing world. I sit in on meetings of my mother's writer friends, help edit when she holds workshops, read, reread, and re-reread her manuscripts and galleys, and get regaled with tales of her dealings with famous writers, illustrators, publishers, agents, and editors. I also am the only human being other than my mother who knows (or ever will know) the name of Clementine's little brother.

That last sentence probably made sense to no one! Ha! I rock like that.

So I guess I'm here to say hello, and maybe build a bit of confidence. I do want to write and get published. One day. I have one heck of a connection, I just lack the material and motivation.

Thanks for having me, guys.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Okay, fess up. Who's your mother. Only kidding. It sounds like you have a great basis for being a good writer, and when you have that need to write, that motivation, you'll probably be a great writer. Your life as the daughter of a well-known writer sounds fascinating!

One other thing: Maybe try writing something totally different from what your mother would write. This way maybe you'll gain that confidence.

Welcome to AW!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Hillary -- welcome, and what an introduction!

I hope you'll hang with us in Poetry now and then -- the super-secret password is citrus.

Maybe I'll even be able to coax from you the meaning of the cryptic 1-1-1 rule (or is my ignorance showing?).

Glad you're here!

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW Hillary!

If you should choose to dish, the secret of Clementine's brother's name will be safe with us...

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Absolutely! We're the most trustworthy 15000 or so people on the planet.

Welcome to AW... and if you're not gonna actually use those great connections... could I - um - you know, borrow a couple?

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have the confidence to go up against my mother.

What about single handedly saving The Disney Channel, all those albums, that copy cat army thing, the spaghetti jock strap movie and the 300 sequels?

Give yourself a break.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Like it says on RHPS: Donb't Dream It, Be It.

HI Hillary, welcome to AW. I always wondered about the difficulties faced by young writers like the kids of Stephen and Tabitha King, and Anne Rice. It's got to be incredibly intimidating. I say just do your thing, because everyone is different, and she can't write like you any more than you can write like her. It sounds like you love writing because you do it on your own, closeted. Just find your voice and do it! And when you're ready to come out of that closet, imagine the great resources you'll have for honing your craft. So much better than most of us could ever dream of.

Good luck to you and I hope you like it here.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my God, I love you all!

I'm pretty sure the same people won't be re-reading my introduction, but I'm going to address a few things anyway.

stormie - You can figure out who she is. Hint-wise, she is an author of books for kids (mainly), she's not world famous, but she has spent a couple weeks on the New York Times Best Seller List. My most cryptic sentence in my original post is the key to her identity. Let the googling begin!

poetinahat - I could barely make out that password... Citron? Sitrous? Citires? What if I pay you, will you tell me then? PLEASE?!?!? And the 1-1-1 rule is truly boring, I'm afraid. Words with 1 syllable, 1 vowel, ending in 1 consonant get their last consonant doubled when you add an ending beginning with a vowel. Like... run -> running or runner. The rule is also extended to two syllable words that have irregular accenting, such as begin -> beginning. But it gets murky when you start thinking about American English and British English and... I'm going to shut up now before you all die of boredom. *sheepish*

RLB - I admit, I'm tempted to tell you Clementine's little brother's name. However, I'm more tempted to not be poor. And you see, I'm about a trillion dollars in debt from my college education, and my mother has sworn my name will be taken out of her will if I ever tell. She'd do it, too.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
- If you want, I can give you tips on scoring a great agent. Surprise, surprise, it involves trickery and preying on their weaknesses!

RumpleTumbler
- I should try that. I will try that! But... Where does one go about acquiring this 'break' that you speak of?

sanremoave - Many thanks. Nice to feel welcome, hey?

pollykahl - My mother is no where near Stephen King status, so I'm not all that worried about my sanity. Neither are my ten therapists, my shrink, or my spiritual guru. *nods seriously* Mainly, I just deal with the quirks of writers. And wine consumption. Writers drink a LOT of wine. I think it's a rule.

I have the sneaking suspicion I am going to become obsessed with this forum. That's just what I need, another distraction from trying to memorize the half-lives of various psychotropic drugs. Stupid education gets in the way of my internet endeavors. Hmph.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Hillary. Sounds like you fit right in already. Thanks for the PM telling me Clementine's little brother's name. I won't tell. It really surprised me.

JJ

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
And the 1-1-1 rule is truly boring, I'm afraid. Words with 1 syllable, 1 vowel, ending in 1 consonant get their last consonant doubled when you add an ending beginning with a vowel. Like... run -> running or runner. The rule is also extended to two syllable words that have irregular accenting, such as begin -> beginning. But it gets murky when you start thinking about American English and British English and... I'm going to shut up now before you all die of boredom. *sheepish*
Wait - you forgot you're on a writer's forum. We like that kind of talk. Well, some of us do. There's even a grammar forum here!

Welcome. It's good to have you. I'll google your big secret author-mother later, but mostly, we're actually just glad to know you!

ltd.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the PM telling me Clementine's little brother's name. I won't tell. It really surprised me.

Thank you for the secrecy, you shall be rewarded. *winks conspiratorially*

I confess, I have a weakness... No one else feel left out, but men from Oz just rock my socks.

*gets out True Blue Aussie Slang Dictionary and starts brushing up*

Oh, by the way, I think wombats are extremely cute and need to be hugged, but after I declared this, all my Aussie friends said they wouldn't allow me near them them when I visit next year. I even received a book called "How to Avoid a Wombat's Bum" as a gift a few months back for my birthday. I think this is downright insane. They're JUST LIKE... Um... Kittens! Yes, that's it - kittens! Only bigger and fuzzier! I can totally pet them! What's your take on the situation?

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hello there, Hillary, and welcome! To be honest, I'm glad my mom or dad isn't an author! I think that is very difficult to handle. Imagine that when you try to get published, you get compared, no matter what.
On the other hand, there's this example of a young author, whose father was a bestselling author. He wrote stories himself, and did not want any help of his dad. He used his mother's family name to send his manuscript to an agent (or whas it a publisher?). Anyway, it got accepted and now he's an author in his own name.
So my advice would be: just continue writing, and give it a try!

Nickie

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I'll google your big secret author-mother later, but mostly, we're actually just glad to know you!

Want to know the real reason I didn't just come out and say her name? We literally have the stupidest surname on the planet. It'll be more fun for you to googlegate it (that's like investigate, only online) and go "Ha, that has to be a pen name," and then realize, no, this poor girl has lived with that as her last name for 24 years.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the secrecy, you shall be rewarded. *winks conspiratorially*

I confess, I have a weakness... No one else feel left out, but men from Oz just rock my socks.

*gets out True Blue Aussie Slang Dictionary and starts brushing up*

Oh, by the way, I think wombats are extremely cute and need to be hugged, but after I declared this, all my Aussie friends said they wouldn't allow me near them them when I visit next year. I even received a book called "How to Avoid a Wombat's Bum" as a gift a few months back for my birthday. I think this is downright insane. They're JUST LIKE... Um... Kittens! Yes, that's it - kittens! Only bigger and fuzzier! I can totally pet them! What's your take on the situation?

Why wouldn't anyone love us Aussie blokes. Check out my picture in the avatar. So you are coming 'Down Under' next year, actually coincides with my 'experimental being single again' phase. ;)

I'm not far from Steve Irwin's crocodile farm and he'll probably have wombats there so if you're really nice I'll take you there.

JJ

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Welcome aboard, Hillary! Hope you feel right at home. The wine jug is over in the corner. Hey, stormie, we have any clean glasses?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Hillary. The beauty of the boards is that you can be who you want to be. Don't be bashful about sharing your work!

:welcome:

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Why wouldn't anyone love us Aussie blokes. Check out my picture in the avatar. So you are coming 'Down Under' next year, actually coincides with my 'experimental being single again' phase. ;)

I'm not far from Steve Irwin's crocodile farm and he'll probably have wombats there so if you're really nice I'll take you there.

• I really want to read what your avatar says, but I've forgotten my microscope.
  • I'm extremely glad out schedules will coincide! I also plan on being single while in Australia. Hell, I could get married between now and then, and I'm still going to pat my husband on the shoulder when he drops me off at the airport, plop my wedding ring in his palm, give him a sad little smile and say "But, honey... They have accents. You understand," and slip out of the car.
  • Since you pass my "Couldn't be my father" age-test (I refuse to hang around, date, go to crocodile farms with and/or marry men who could be mistaken for my father, because I'm classy) I'll let you take me to the farm! YAAAAAAY wombats! I can practically hear my friend Jasmine telling me off for trying to find a way to get near wombats. She seems to think they are going to bite my face off.
Thank you Soccer Mom and Mel!

Nickie, I actually used to think if I ever tried to publish, I'd use my mother's maiden name. Unfortunately, my mother beat me to it, and decided to use her maiden name as her surname for her novel to distance her from her children's work.

And JennaGlatzer... Come now, glasses are for armatures. I demand only the best - a full bottle pressed firmly to my lips, or at the very least, dirty plastic party cups.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Hey, stormie, we have any clean glasses?
Wha...me?? Know where the clean drinking glasses are? I mean, geez, just 'cause I love white wine and my shot (or two) of peppermint schnapps on ice. Nah.
(Okay. I'll turn on the dishwasher. All hundred or so glasses need washing.)

Last edited:

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks stormie! But actually, I got my tongue pierced last week, and I've sworn off the grog until it heals. Apparently, 'tis bad for oral piercings. Hmph.

But, you can still have the glass of wine for the name-game.

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
  • I'm extremely glad out schedules will coincide! I also plan on being single while in Australia. Hell, I could get married between now and then, and I'm still going to pat my husband on the shoulder when he drops me off at the airport, plop my wedding ring in his palm, give him a sad little smile and say "But, honey... They have accents. You understand," and slip out of the car.

:roll:
I'll so have to remember this if I ever get married again!!

Welcome, and thanks for providing me with another distraction from work, googlegating your mom!

:hi:

P.S. Your mom thinks you (plural) are absolutely fabulous!

Last edited:

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
P.S. Your mom thinks you (plural) are absolutely fabulous!

You've found me out! But don't trust her bios, half of them spell "Stuart" wrong because they spelled it wrong in the Disney/Hyperion Books for Kids annual catalog, and now the net is clogged with misspellings of her first series. So really, I'm not fabulous. It's just another misprint.

BTW, I specialize in distractions from work. If you haven't gone to this web site, you'll never known true distraction from work...

http://home.planet.nl/~Qwyzzle/

I became that website's bitch for an embarrassingly long time. It must have been mentioned here on the site at some time. I should check, really... But anyway, click on the hat if you dare enter the world of qwyzzle! It'll suck you in, I promise. And yes, use Explorer, like it recommends. I use firefox for most things, but this needs explorer for your status bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.