PDA

View Full Version : Need to know of Nonfiction Short Story Contests

col
07-13-2007, 04:49 AM
Does anyone know of any worthwhile, respected nonfiction short story contests that are worth entering in?

I have searched on the search engines and mostly European contests come up. Those are great in all, but I am looking for US contests because I want to get my memoir about my medical miracle exposed to agents and publishers, so I am looking for some they would look at.

I know there are some website that list a bunch in alphabetical order. Any know of any of them?

Any advice will help. Thanks in advance.

cpickett
07-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Hi,
I have a couple of pieces of advice for you.

First, agents and traditional publishers are typically swamped with submissions and have no need to hunt for more. While it may help to put in your proposal that you've won a contest, I wouldn't rely on being contacted because of an entry or win. A good source for contests though are the newsletters at www.fundsforwriters.com (http://www.fundsforwriters.com)

One of the most important factors right now in being picked up by a publisher is having an established platform and audience. If you'd like to be traditionally published, you'll have to send out proposals to either publishers or agents and show that you have the ability to attract buyers and sell your book (the author does 80% or more of promotion whether self-or traditionally published).

There are also several self-publishing options, just stay away from anyone who charges thousands of dollars to provide services.

I hope that helps.
Good luck!

Siddow
07-18-2007, 01:46 AM
Well, to give you some pub cred, can you excerpt any of it and submit it to Cup of Comfort or Chicken Soup? (I'm not sure exactly what they're looking for right now)

Or pitch an article to one of the national magazines--Ladies Home Journal comes to mind as one who publishes medical-miracle-type stories. I actually think an article about it will garner more attention than being in a book of similar stories.

shirah
07-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Writers Digest hosts several reputable contests - their link is:
http://www.writersdigest.com/contests/

I also agree with the alternative ways to promote your memoir, mentioned by Siddow and cpickett.

Stijn Hommes
07-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Non-fiction short story? Are we talking memoir or something that can't possibly exist?