Web sites for medical info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marykayems

Hi,

I haven't posted to this forum before, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong place. Please redirect me if I am. I'm working on a novel and am looking for any Web sites that have medical information. Specifically, I'm looking for a pediatric disease. I've tried asking my child's pediatrician for information, but the lists of diseases they gave me didn't quite suit my requirements. So, I'm going to have to do more digging. Other than WebMD, what else is out there? Anything specific for writers?

Thanks for any help!

reph

If you type the name of a disease into Google, you'll get numerous medical sites that describe that disease, treatments, and so forth. Or are you looking to make a young character ill and you don't know with what?

Tish Davidson

Tons of websites

If you read medical language well, try www.emedicine.com

If that is too technical, try

American Academy of Pediatrics - Health topics
www.aap.org/

There is also the National Instutute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
www.niaid.nih.gov/default.htm

And for pediatric diseases Children's Virtual Hopsital (University of Iowa)
www.vh.org/pediatric/

If you're looking for something exotic, try NORD -National Organization for rare Diseases
www.rarediseases.org/

There are also special sites for congenital diseases and genetic disorders. I can probably come up with them if you need them, but I don't have them bookmarked. If you can't find what you want there, ask again and I can suggest more sites - or tell us what kind of disease/disorder/condition you need and maybe we can suggest one that fits.

HollyB

Marykayems,

I'm a pediatrician with a bizarre recollection for arcane diseases and medical trivia. Email my EZ inbox with more info and maybe we can figure something out.

BTW, welcome to AW! I think you'll find it a very supportive forum with lots of valuable infomation for new writers.

Holly

edited because I can't spell this morning

marykayems

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I need a pediatric illness, but I don't know what it is yet. I'm writing about a reclusive society and the child lives in this society. Here are my requirements:

-Makes her susceptible to illnesses (immune problems) and has to stay away from people
-Requires surgery or treatment every few years
-Could be curable in modern world, but not in this society
-Without treatment, could be fatal

This doesn't even have to be a serious disease. In fact, it could be something like asthma. I'm trying to create a situation where the mother has gone out into the modern world to get the initial diagnosis, returns to the reclusive society with meds or treatments she can do herself, but in a few years is forced to leave again because her daughter's health is failing (except this time the reclusive society won't let her leave).

I will start checking out the Web sites you recommended, Tish. Thanks!

Holly, I may need your help. I would really like to avoid spending hours and hours researching this if someone else has the info on the tip of her mind!

Mary Kaye

HollyB

Mary Kay,

I don't want to bore everyone here with a long discussion... so check your ezboard inbox.
13.gif

Holly

evanaharris

wiki

Want to point out, here, that www.wikipedia.com is an INVALUABLE resource for ALL SORTS of knowledge. Quite literally has almost every topic you can come up with, in MANY different languages, Basque, anyone? Esperanto? Latin? Even English ;)

Tish Davidson

DiGeorge Syndrome

A mild case of DiGeorge Syndrome might fit your needs. You can do a google search on it. It can be quite severe, but apparently has varying degrees depending depending on how much genetic material has been lost. Symptoms include susceptibilty to infection (compromised immune system) and cardiac problems often requiring surgery.

Samueel

Re: DiGeorge Syndrome

Ask someone at www.allexperts.com would be my suggestion. They give FREE advice and do it within a very short time period (usually 1-2 days).

Samuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.