• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

982press

absolutewrite

We're seeking articles of various types for publishers. We sell articles at your price, and pay you through bank check, or through PayPal for article sales. Visit our site at: www.982press.4t.com.

rtilryarms

982PRESS

Do you still charge $5.00 proofreading fee?
How about a list of publishers that have bought from you?

982pressny

*fees

Information regarding fees are inaccurate on this board. 982Press offers free and paid memberships. There was never a mandatory fee whereas a writer had to pay to submit articles. We've always offered optional plans.

magazinewriter

Re: 982PRESS

Hmmm...in looking over the site, I'm only able to find 4 or 5 publishers mentioned by name, and I'm guessing they're small publishers as I've never heard of any of them. When 982 first started, they listed names of some big glossies that they claimed looked for articles on their site. I write for some of the mags they mentioned, and I remember my editors and I shared a good laugh at the notion that these editors would have the time or inclination to search this site for articles.

The site strongly encouarges writers to submit original material, but quotes ridiculously low price ranges. I don't see why a professional writer (as in, one who wants to make a living through writing, as opposed to a hobbyist) would want to bother submitting original articles to this site when they'll only get paid peanuts. It might be a place to peddle reprints, but I can't imagine they'll get many professional writers willing to submit original material.

I'm also leery of any company that hosts their site on a free hosting outfit, rather than getting their own domain.

jazziz1

response

Wow. Although the clarification provided here on this subject my be helpful, this doen't seem like a very "professional" response to me. Not one you'd expect from a "professional" company, anyway. I don't think I'll be submitting any of my work any time soon. Of course, it's my loss, right?

arieltaylor

Whew!

That defensive and snarky response should attract professional writers in droves. And your goal is to attract editors at national pubs? Oy.

magazinewriter

Re: Whew!

982pressny, you do make one valid point - I have no way of knowing for certain whether or not you pay for your hosting (although the fact that you don't have your own domain and instead use a freeservers sub-domain does make it appear to be a free hosting situation) so I apologize if I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

But I do stand by my basic point which is that professional writers simply could not stay afloat if they worked for these kind of wages. I am not putting down anyone who submits articles to 982Press or similar sites. Like I said, this may be fine for a hobbyist, beginning writer or someone who just wants to make a few spare bucks.

But as a professional writer, there's no way I personally could afford to spend an hour or more crafting an orginal article that would net me $25.

keiko

Snarky replies

Can't pass this one up. Professionals don't write articles, then spend their time looking for someone to buy them. Period. And I'm a full-time freelancer who makes a living off my work. And guess what? I don't do it by selling it for $25 a pop.

I think companies like this are the worst -- you exploit people who want to be published by giving publishers who want to pay next-to-nothing a place to do their shopping. Anyone aspiring to write professionally would be better served taking the query-crafting course offered here on Absolute Write, then sending out queries. What this company offers is worse than writing on spec. You're writing for a black hole.

sassenach

KEIKO wrote:

Professionals don't write articles, then spend their time looking for someone to buy them. Period. And I'm a full-time freelancer who makes a living off my work. And guess what? I don't do it by selling it for $25 a pop.

////

Really? I'm a F/T freelancer as well, and have earned my living this way for years. Most articles I write on assignment; some I write and look for a buyer.

The market's been tough for a couple of years, and if I can re-sell something for $25 or $50, I will. Money for reprints is gravy, IMO.

Ravenlocks01

Re: Articles Needed!

Everyone is happy -- the writer gets PAID, we get PAID for selling, and the publisher SAVES money.
So the publisher SAVES because the writer gets paid LESS? Sorry, but no thanks. I'm in it for me, the writer. I couldn't care less about the publisher's bottom line. That's their business.

jmhcreativesolutions

Re: KEIKO wrote:

Really? I'm a F/T freelancer as well, and have earned my living this way for years. Most articles I write on assignment; some I write and look for a buyer.

I've actually done better by coming up with ideas first, then pitching those ideas. Writing, then looking for a buyer has worked a few times . . . but I think the time spent should be on a piece I know will receive pay. A place like 982press is looking for someone to spend time writing original pieces and time is money . . . so the writer is actually spending money instead of earning it . . . unless, of course, they consider reprints. From what I see, they don't and I'm wondering why . . ?

magazinewriter

interesting change

Interestingly, it seems the site's FAQ has been changed. Previously, it stressed that writers were strongly encouraged to submit original material. Today, it just says reprints are fine.

FYI: for more info on this company, see
www.writersweekly.com/war...press.html

Keiko

Freelancing

sassenach wrote:

The market's been tough for a couple of years, and if I can re-sell something for $25 or $50, I will. Money for reprints is gravy, IMO.

/////////////

My bottom line was close to $100,000 in 2002. I'm single and self-supporting. Writing is my day job and I don't have any other source of income. And I didn't make that kind of money writing articles and looking for buyers.

If $25 or $50 bucks a pop trips your trigger, then have at it. You won't have any competition from me. I'm not interested in those markets.

emeraldcite

Re: Freelancing

Right now, we don't care about negative comments about our company and we will NOT respond to anything else -- especially stupidy. This is a professional company.

i'm glad they won't put up with "stupidy." I was worried they wouldn't put up with stupidity, being a professional journalist/writer/company/[fill in the blank.]

thanks for the chuckle. :)

absolutewrite

In response to the ridiculous statements made by 982pressny (who is this person?!), I'm moving this fascinating thread to the bewares board, which is, I believe, its rightful home. 8o

Emerald, you're so stupidy!

emeraldcite

was that an insult or a complement?

I think i'll take it as a complement ;) I like completments. :rollin

Dave Kuzminski

Regarding 982

I found this to be interesting particularly as I'm in the middle of devising a rating for them at Preditors & Editors (tm). So far, they haven't impressed me, but not enough to rate anything above or below a neutral rating.

sfsassenach

"Devising" a rating?

Dave:

Maybe yours was a quick post, but I'd appreciate some clarification on how P&E rates. Is there a checklist, standards, etc.?

thanks

Dave Kuzminski

Rating information

Yes, P&E uses stated criteria in formulating its ratings. Those are listed within the P&E sites in several places, usually in the front of each section. There are different criteria for agencies, publishers, promoters, and so forth. Furthermore, most ratings are based upon significant multiple complaints or other verifiable information such as direct information from the agency's or publisher's web site. This is one of the reasons why P&E has never been sued in its seven years of operation.

P&E doesn't post the criteria for gaining a favorable recommendation as those should be rather obvious from reading the criteria for negative recommendations. In other words, be fair in contracts to writers, treat them with respect, and don't cheat them. At the same time, P&E considers other information such as whether there's a track record of successful sales, length of time in business, and other pertinent facts.

WritersWeeklycom

982Press should be avoided

When we first investigated 982Press.com, we were shocked at their lack of professionalism and the fact that they charged writers who wanted to submit their work.

We also find it disgusting that they continue to post numerous "ads" for writers on the Internet, but rarely if ever mention the name of their company in those ads. But, we've never found an ad online where they're soliciting buyers of the articles they have listed for sale. I guess charging writers to submit articles is pretty lucrative business. And, they never provide firm information on who is buying their articles (if anybody) or how many articles they're selling monthly (if any), or who the writers are who are supposedly raking in the money using their firm (if anybody).

Also, we've been spammed by their representatives (freelancers trying to earn commissions?) on numerous occasions. And, no, they weren't spamming us to get us to buy articles from them. They were spamming us to try to get us to pay them to sell our articles.

We strongly recommend all writers avoid this outfit. Just read their insulting and unprofessional post above for a hint of what you're in for if, heaven forbid, you have a disagreement with this firm. Also see the link below for another sample of their attitude.
www.writersweekly.com/war...press.html

Read more about why you should avoid online syndicates at: www.angelahoy.com/writing...00298.html

See the paragraph under the heading - "Let us sell your articles!"

sassenach

"Online" syndicates aren't all bad...

Featurewell.com, for example. I've worked with them, and they're excellent.

982pressny

RETRACK FOR WRITERS WEEKLY

By the way, there IS a post on Freelancewriting.com and other sites soliciting publishers to buy articles from 982 Press. 982 Press does advertise for both writers AND publishers. And you can tell by our ad from the very top that we advertise our name as well. Some ads don't - but most do. We apologize for any misleading information from WritersWeekly.