Status
Not open for further replies.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I just received a rejection for a partial and I know it was not a form. I was told how excited the agent was when he saw this project, and he still thinks I've really stumbled across a fun and unique project, but he had to pass. He said the premise is very interesting but that he felt my writing was a bit too forced and over-the-top. I wrote him an e-mail asking for an explanation of "forced and the over-the-top". Perhaps I just suck at writing and I blame it on my over-the-top personality. I never was one who could just say "the dog ran into the street and got killed". I've got to go into how fast he was going, what kind of car, how many intestines flew out of his body and how long they were. It's 2:30 p.m. here and I do believe I'm ready for a margarita. I hope he responds because at this point perhaps I should just put the ole cap on the pen and hang up my writing shoes. But then I could just be reacting too over-the-top. This is the first manuscript I've ever seriously tried to get published and maybe I just need to face the fact I can keep my friends entertained with my over-the-top stories, but when it comes to writing I don't have what it takes. Where's that tequila bottle.....to hell with the mixer!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
He just e-mailed me back and I do feel a bit better. He told me that it would fit more into a fiction market than anything else, and by the over the top writing, he meant it sounded like "modern fiction". He did say he felt I was doing too much with the "myth sounding" type of writing, whatever in the hell that means. He also said not to dump it, play around with it and put it in another market. I was trying to market as paranormal romance, but perhaps I should look at fantasy. I don't know where to market this book........oh tequila I love you.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a serious bummer. I truly hope it wasn't three intestines, since there are only two intestines in a dog's body. :D

But, ah, don't expect a response. You may get one - but don't hold your breath. Just go forth and submit again !! And feel free to expand Martini hour - rejections don't care if it's time for a drink or not!

ETA: well lookie there, you did get a reply :)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the rejection, but the explanation is a pretty straightforward hint to my eye. Overly dramatic perhaps?

No-one here can say without seeing some of it, can they? Hint, hint.

"forced and the over-the-top".

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
It's nice that the agent took the time to reply. At least it left you something to work with.

Good luck!

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
It's nice that the agent took the time to reply. At least it left you something to work with.

Good luck!

Indeed. I'm glad the agent replied.

Another thing you will need to remember is that every agent is different. What one agent will hate with a passion, another might find highly enjoyable.

It's like the short I submitted to CleanSheets a few months ago. They rejected it, but with good things to say about my writing. But on the same token, a person who critiqued the work hated it intensely. One thing she said that at first stuck in my craw but later I'm glad she did say, was, "This piece didn't do it for me." (My emphasis.) In other words, she herself didn't like it, but that didn't mean everyone was going to hate it.

So like the agent pointed out, sub it to a different market, and just keep plugging away. In the mean time, do what Uncle Jim always suggests: write a new, better book.

:)

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Great feedback. If this is not your first agent opinion...send it out using the same genre and see what happens. Maybe send it out to the fantasy genre people at the same time...Cover all your bases! I wish you the best...

Last edited:

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
Sounds like good feedback. It also sounds like you may want to consider toning down the writing a bit. It's possible to give too many details. Leave something to the reader's imagination. A simple, "there were guts all over the place" can be much more effective than explaining the guts.

FTJoshua

What's a narrative engine?!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. You got personalized feedback, which is gold. Do your best with the advice, and maybe shop around his advice with a paragraph or page of the book at Share Your Work, maybe someone can help you determine what to do next. (If you haven't already done so.)

Good luck!

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I saw your post in the Novels forum about this too. It's an interesting comment to say the least! You must have a distinctive voice, which probably means you're bound to get strong reactions one way or another.

On a postive note, you got great feedback. And after all, you know what they say about opinions. ;) Someone else might love that style (whatever exactly it is).

Enjoy the tequila, it's Friday. And good luck with your other subs!

Bealeblast

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
Keeping distance from subjective criticism

Joyce,
I so relate to what you're going through. There are so many aspects of criticism/rejection that are hard to take...

Maybe it has something to do with creating a protagonist who's a lot like us and then taking it personally when someone, esp an agent or reader, doesn't love every little thing about her. I had one agent say..."SHE just got so annoying after page 100 I couldn't stand her" well, you can imagine. That really hurt until someone else said something very nice about HER...then I quickly got how I had to stand up for my character whether she was like me or not!

Chin up...remember what it is that you like about this character, even if they run their mouth a lot, think about Annie Hall, or another great character who does that too! Dif strokes....

Best,
Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.