poisons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a decent internet source for poisons and their effects? I'm not finding anything that looks particularly promising.

I swear, it's only for my WIP. :D

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, WM. :) Oi. I am never, ever, ever picking mushrooms again.

Yup. right here. What sort are you looking for?

Two actually.... 1) something that could be introduced via the skin or a shallow cut - say a scrape from the blade of a knife coated in x substance - and cause a relatively quick and silent death. (I know, how cliche.) 2) something that would cause sensitivity to light within a few hours, and over the course of a few days, extreme thirst and a painful death of some sort. I am utterly open as to how painful and what other symptoms.

This may be too specific a set of requirements, though, I dunno. It's just fun to write. I can change it if I have to.

I'll believe you. Thousands wouldn't, but I'll believe you.

::rubs hands together:: One is all I need...

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Let's have a little look
something that could be introduced via the skin or a shallow cut - say a scrape from the blade of a knife coated in x substance - and cause a relatively quick and silent death. (I know, how cliche.)
I'm not an expert (When I said right here, I was referring to the forums :)) but any poison introduced into the bloodstream needs time to do it's filthy work.
For the death to be quick and quiet, the poison would need to attack a major organ. It could (maybe) be introduced into the bloodstream through a cut, provided the cut isn't treated right away.
If this is necessary to the plot, you may have to fiddle one up. A "designer virus" if the poisonist is Government. Some "Distillation of tropical stuff" if not.
something that would cause sensitivity to light within a few hours, and over the course of a few days, extreme thirst and a painful death of some sort.
There are plenty of drugs that cause photophobia. There are also diseases with light sensitivity as a symptom.

The problem with this scenario is that if it takes a few days to kill them, that's probably time enough for a hostipal to treat them.

Although there are animal bites that take a few days to kill. Komodo Dragons work like that I think.

Let me have a rummage.

Last edited:

5KidsMom

Registered
Reaction score
1) something that could be introduced via the skin or a shallow cut - say a scrape from the blade of a knife coated in x substance - and cause a relatively quick and silent death. (I know, how cliche.)

Cyanide

2) something that would cause sensitivity to light within a few hours, and over the course of a few days, extreme thirst and a painful death of some sort. I am utterly open as to how painful and what other symptoms.

The first thing that comes to mind is something anticholinergic, but the victim needs to be far from medical care since any reasonably competent ED could treat that. Google "anticholinergic" for specifics.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
2) something that would cause sensitivity to light within a few hours, and over the course of a few days, extreme thirst and a painful death of some sort. I am utterly open as to how painful and what other symptoms.

There are plants that do that. There's a specific common flower that I'm trying to remember the name of which, I think, does pretty much exactly what you've described.

I'll get back to you.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

You would not get enough cyanide into the bloodstream like this. The lethal dose required to kill an adult is something over 0.5g

Google 'Destroying Angel'

Last edited:

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I've come up with some definite possibilities. This is a medieval fantasy (also cliche, I know, but it's so fun to write) - or at least that's the closest description I can manage for it - so there's no advanced medical care. People can die horribly without too much interference. :D

My husband just wandered in and scanned this thread while I was typing. Now he's looking all worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.