PDA

View Full Version : Water found in outer space

dclary
07-12-2007, 04:43 AM
60 light years away.

ChunkyC
07-12-2007, 04:46 AM
I hope WalMart has a lot of hoses in stock. ;)

traveller
07-12-2007, 04:46 AM
:Jaw:

blacbird
07-14-2007, 02:13 AM
No great surprise. Water, as a chemical compound, is everywhere, and widely detectable in interstellar gas clouds, among other places, via spectroscopy. It might be the most common chemical compound in the universe (rivaled probably by methane and ammonia). My prediction is with the new generation of astronomical instruments, already in development (a big new telescope will be operating from the Canary Islands by next year), we'll be finding a lot of these potential worlds where water may exist in the liquid state.

caw

alleycat
07-14-2007, 02:42 AM
It'd be my luck that the pool would be closed when I got there.

dclary
07-14-2007, 03:21 AM
Yeah, like, 4 billion years previously.

small axe
07-29-2007, 02:29 AM
That stuff they sell as expensive bottled water, some of it's just tap water ...?

Tell that to the space invaders when they come sniffin' around.

shakeysix
07-29-2007, 02:34 AM
that it is cat piss--s6

scarletpeaches
07-29-2007, 02:43 AM
It's Martian micturition.

blacbird
07-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Yeah, like, 4 billion years previously.

Can't be more than 6,000 years. Jerry Falwell told me so.

caw

smoore
11-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Try the poles of Mars, some moons of Jupiter that I can't remember, and Saturn's Enceladus for a little closer to home -- probably better quality than ours now after all the PCB's etc. As for the cat piss, it's mostly water too.

MelancholyMan
11-24-2008, 07:44 PM
They found water huh? Guess there must be life.

I get so tired of NASA (and others) immediatly crying that there may be life just because they've identified water. They've identified formaldehyde in interstellar gasses and nobody said there must be dead bodies out there. Just a marketing ploy to eek more money out of the government, or another dig at the creationists, or both.

shakeysix
11-24-2008, 08:06 PM
hope e.t. isn't in the formaldehyde --s6

TMA-1
11-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Actually, water is one of the important biomarkers that can suggest where life may be possible. That doesn't mean life is likely wherever water is found, but it's certainly a step forward in the search for life, since we know we can find it that far away. Oxygen, carbondioxide and methane are three of the other big biomarkers. Especially lots of oxygen on a rocky planet would be interesting. If there is life on other worlds then we will find it.

JulieJames
12-15-2008, 05:02 AM
you know has anyone ever thought that maybe just maybe we used to be martians, and we destryed mars and moved to earth and became earthlings and now we're following the same pattern as our predicessors and evenutally when we have moved on to another planet there will be 2 matching red planets???

why haven't they tried planting some trees on mars anyways???

smoothseas
12-15-2008, 05:19 AM
They found water huh? Guess there must be life.

I get so tired of NASA (and others) immediatly crying that there may be life just because they've identified water. They've identified formaldehyde in interstellar gasses and nobody said there must be dead bodies out there. Just a marketing ploy to eek more money out of the government, or another dig at the creationists, or both.

now this appealed to the cynic in me.