Conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveller

Registered
Reaction score
I hope I put this thread in the correct forum.

I've never attended a conference, but am considering one in October. Since it's a pricey thing, I figured I'd best get opinions first. Is it worth the price? Do you truly learn? Are they fun?

clueless in Texas

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I went to my first conference last October and I consider the money well spent. I came away with a lot of information, a bunch of new ideas, and a request for a partial. It also recharged my batteries about writing, which I find being surrounded by other writers generally does. They can be fun - my local RWA chapter conference has an after-party on the night the conference closes, and a dessert reception the night it opens (guess that came out kind of backwards, eh?), so it depends on how much effort you put into it.

Some are great for making contacts - you sit next to someone at the bar and start talking, then you realize it's an agent or an editor. If you don't stalk them (corner in the ladies'/mens' room or an elevator, for example), they are usually receptive to chit-chat. You never know what might happen.

It depends on the conference - so look into what they're offering and decide if you can use it.

Hope this helps a little. :)

traveller

Registered
Reaction score
Which conference? What do you hope to get out of it?
The South Carolina Writers Workshop Conference that's held at Myrtle Beach.

And honestly, I have no clue what I could gain, as I don't know what to expect. I'm new to this as it is. I've only written one ms, and it's certainly not polished. I know that everyone that registers gets a critique, but I'm not ready for that. The mss needs editing first.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I went to the Backspace Conference in May and learned a ton. There were some excellent speakers and panels. I also got great agent feedback on the first two pages of both my novels I'm trying to shop (via a two mintues/two pages workshop), so that was very encouraging. And it was fun to put faces and personalities with some of the big-name agents and publishing folk we hear about. (though since the conference was in NY, they tended to skedaddle back to work after their panels, so there wasn't much opportunity for mingling with them) When you're considering a conference, look at who will be speaking and whether the panels sound interesting/applicable to you. I wouldn't count on coming away with a book deal or anything, but conferences can be educational and eye-opening.

traveller

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I'm very much a stand off to the side kinda gal. I keep telling myself that if I go, I can mingle. And, if I manage to mingle, I can chit-chat. And, if I manage to chit-chat, I might get to know some people. Might work. I'm not so much a wall-flower as I am those nice little gold etchings that are drawn around the actual flower.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend attending if you get the chance and can afford it. I'm at a conference right now. The RWA national conference. I don't mingle or chit-chat. I just go to the workshops and I have an editor appointment too. I've always found RWA helpful. I haven't been to any others lately, but there used to be one at UGA every couple of years I attended.

traveller

Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend attending if you get the chance and can afford it. I'm at a conference right now. The RWA national conference. I don't mingle or chit-chat. I just go to the workshops and I have an editor appointment too. I've always found RWA helpful. I haven't been to any others lately, but there used to be one at UGA every couple of years I attended.
What do you do at an editor appointment? Is it like a pitch?

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. And since I'm not a very outgoing person, I'm sure it'll go badly. I can't sell myself at all.

traveller

Registered
Reaction score
You're at one now? Cool. I'm sure you will do fine with your appointment - afterall - you were brave enough to sign up.

What are some of the conferences that y'all like? I did notice that the one in Maui looks good. :D Awwwww - someday, perhaps.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I just looked at the schedule for the conference you're considering, and now I wanna go!

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
The South Carolina Writers Workshop Conference that's held at Myrtle Beach.

As someone else mentioned, it's a great time to meet others who share your affliction. :D The SCWW Conference is also small enough not to leave you terrified by the crowd. You'll enjoy yourself, I'm sure. Lots of nice folks there...in fact my beloved mentor, Faith Hunter, is teaching, so tell her Misty said hey!

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
A tip on paying for the conference: I've had good luck volunteering at conferences. For a few hours of sweat equity, I get a discount on tuition. Plus it's fun to be behind the scenes. I don't know if all conference organizers will reduce tuition, but it sure won't hurt to ask.

As for the face-to-face pitches, just relax and be yourself! Easier said than done, but the person you're meeting is a regular person, too, and they want to hear what you have to say. Practice a short hook, but mainly have a nice time chatting and discuss a bit about your book. You'll do fine.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Anyone know anything about the Florida Writers Association conference that's held in Orlando? It's a $200 entry fee plus $50 for mandatory membership, and it struck me as odd that they would actually sell 10 mins with an agent for 40 bucks a pop. Seeing as I've never been to one of these I really don't know what to expect, but some of it seems like a bit of a rip off.

Any ideas from people who are into the conference scene?

grommet

Registered
Reaction score
traveller,

I went to the Santa Barbara Writer's Conference a few years ago. They offer scholarships to cover tuition via a writing contest (you still have to pony up for travel, housing and food). I found the experience revelatory. I wasn't there for the business side of things so much as craft and camaraderie, both of which I got in spades. I learned a lot from the workshops I attended (I had one instructor who was really eye opening to me). I also had a great deal of fun. I'd never been surrounded by so many writers at so many different stages of their careers before. This sounds terribly arrogant, but it made me feel better about my work in a lot of ways -- I realized I was farther along then I thought. I walked out of there feeling a lot more confident about the project I was working on at the time.

I'm painfully shy, so I went with a friend who had been there before and was willing to take me by the hand until I felt comfortable enough to socialize on my own.

grommet

traveller

Registered
Reaction score
Well - I did it! I signed up. I'm pretty excited about it. My hubby is going with me, but he's more of a recluse than I am. He'll be off exploring the area while I'm at the conference.

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
Well - I did it! I signed up. I'm pretty excited about it. My hubby is going with me, but he's more of a recluse than I am. He'll be off exploring the area while I'm at the conference.

You won't be sorry! I wish I could be there, but I've already committed to dancing at the Carolina Renaissance Faire in October. I'll definitely be there next year!

By the way, does your husband golf? A number of the husbands of writers like to go golfing while their wives are busy conference-ing. *grin* I could find out who to talk to about letting your husband go along with a group if you like...

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
My husband is at this one with me. He's online all the time playing games while I dart out, attend something, then run back in. I rode up in the elevator with Laura Bradford today and my husband told me I should've thanked her for requesting my partial (even though she rejected it). I just didn't want to intrude. I'm such a hermit.

traveller

Registered
Reaction score
You won't be sorry! I wish I could be there, but I've already committed to dancing at the Carolina Renaissance Faire in October. I'll definitely be there next year!

By the way, does your husband golf? A number of the husbands of writers like to go golfing while their wives are busy conference-ing. *grin* I could find out who to talk to about letting your husband go along with a group if you like...
Awww - thanks - but no, he doesn't golf. I figure he'll be either in the pool, or on some backroad stirring up dust.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Just remember, an editor or agent will expect you to be nervous and they probably won't hold it against you. I'm kind of a hang-back-er myself and I found that I relaxed within a few minutes. You'd be amazed at how friendly most of them are. As long as you don't corner one in the ladies' room or follow them to their room, you'll be okay. :)

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Traveller, you should pop into the Meet and Greet forum here in the Roundtable and check it out. There are quite a few AW members in the Texas area. In the Meet and Greet Forum you can find links for writer conferences, meetings, fun conventions (not necessarily writer oriented, but if you like sci-fi you'd have a blast ;) ), all manner of things and you could link up with fellow writers in your area. If there is a conference you might travel to, you can post a thread about it in that forum to meet up with other AW'ers or see if it's something they have attended before, to give you an idea of what it would be about.

Welcome to the community!!!!

traveller

Registered
Reaction score
Traveller, you should pop into the Meet and Greet forum here in the Roundtable and check it out. There are quite a few AW members in the Texas area. In the Meet and Greet Forum you can find links for writer conferences, meetings, fun conventions (not necessarily writer oriented, but if you like sci-fi you'd have a blast ;) ), all manner of things and you could link up with fellow writers in your area. If there is a conference you might travel to, you can post a thread about it in that forum to meet up with other AW'ers or see if it's something they have attended before, to give you an idea of what it would be about.

Welcome to the community!!!!
Cool beans! Thanks for the invite! :D

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I'm very much a stand off to the side kinda gal. I keep telling myself that if I go, I can mingle. And, if I manage to mingle, I can chit-chat. And, if I manage to chit-chat, I might get to know some people. Might work. I'm not so much a wall-flower as I am those nice little gold etchings that are drawn around the actual flower.

Hi traveller:

Usually, the thought of mingling makes me break out in a cold sweat, but I got some excellent advice before my first conference last summer that helped. All you have to do to start a conversation with anyone there is ask, "So, what do you write?" I tried it, and WOW did it work. I met so many cool & interesting people, and even ended up sharing a table with an awesome agent at Friday dinner (with 4 other people, but hey I talked to him!).

Someone mentioned volunteering & I second that. It's fun & opens up opportunities you never would've known about otherwise. Imagine, agents asking you for help/directions. It's a blast. :)

Everyone's there for the same reason you are: to learn & meet people, to have a day/weekend/whatever devoted entirely to writing. Go, have fun, you'll be glad you did. I'm so excited about the con I'm attending in 3 weeks I can hardly sit still sometimes. :)

~C

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
but there used to be one at UGA every couple of years I attended.

The Harriette Austin Writers Conference is at UGA. This year it's on the 20th/21st of July (i.e. this weekend) and it'll be the third time I've gone.

Excellent, as others have said, for refocusing and recharging the batteries.

Rick

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
The Harriette Austin Writers Conference is at UGA. This year it's on the 20th/21st of July (i.e. this weekend) and it'll be the third time I've gone.

Excellent, as others have said, for refocusing and recharging the batteries.

Rick

Oh, man. The last time I checked on it, there wasn't one scheduled (that was a while back). Something about reworking it, I think. If I'd known about it, I'd be going this weekend. I always enjoyed that conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.