Guitar Hero II

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rainynightproductions.com
Okay, so I’ve played (if you can call it that) guitar for nearly 30 years and two weeks ago I bought Guitar Hero II (the Play Station game) for my wife for her birthday. She kicks my butt at the game and she keeps asking me why, if I’m the guitar player in the family, does she beat me at every song? She’s scored over 200,000 on Freebird at the hard level and I can’t make ¼ of the way through it on medium. why why why …

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Explain the game - how exactly do you play it? What does it have to do with guitar playing.

FWIW, I've been playing guitar for about as long as Jack Benny was alive...

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, in the game you are a guitar player in a band. The game controller is a guitar with buttons at the frets and a toggle at the strings, you have to hit the fret and strum for it to play your part. Notes come down the screen telling you what notes and when to play them, kind of a guitar karaoke. If you miss too many notes or chords you fail and basically the band stops playing and is boo'd off stage. It's a fun game.

I only posted this here because there isn't a "I'm a nerd who plays games and guitar" :hi: forum

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's more a coordination game than anything. I'm terrible at DDR, but I can hold my own for Guitar Hero. I can't actually play a guitar, though, so I'd say you're one up on me!

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Nerd UP! Oh man, we LOOOOOVE GH II in our house...seriously. We play it a LOT. hahaha

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Well, in the game you are a guitar player in a band. The game controller is a guitar with buttons at the frets and a toggle at the strings, you have to hit the fret and strum for it to play your part. Notes come down the screen telling you what notes and when to play them, kind of a guitar karaoke. If you miss too many notes or chords you fail and basically the band stops playing and is boo'd off stage. It's a fun game.

I only posted this here because there isn't a "I'm a nerd who plays games and guitar" :hi: forum
Oh, I see now, it's kinda like READING MUSIC, a context where others may well have an advantage over "guitarists." Remember the old joke, how do you get a guitar player to turn down? Put sheet music in front of him.

So, mods, how do we start that games-and-guitar-nerds forum???:D

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Don't feel too badly. My next door neighbor, John Mayer, told me he's lousy at this game, too.

(By the way, you don't have to believe that, but it's true).

(Yes, THEE John Mayer).

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I suck at this game...which is odd, because as a tuba player I actually have to play music. Personally, I think it's really just a way to listen to cool music while giving your hands something to do. I'd rather just listen to music on my bike via I-pod than play a Rythem game.

Now, one of my freinds can argue that Guitar Hero 1 and 2 are the symptom of America's degeneration into cultural barbarism and will lead to the collapse of society.

But he also owns a complete fallout suit.

In case the Iranians start nuking us.

Back on topic, I really hate the lyrics to Freebird on moral grounds. Has anyone else noticed that he's basically saying: "I'm dumping my girlfriend becuase I'm afraid of change and I'll cover it up by having some of the world's best guitar solo's ever?"

And why do none of the Guitar Hero games have Johnny B. Goode, Hotel California or Comfortably Numb?

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Rock Band looks awesome, don't feel bad about not being able to play well, my hubby has Meduim down, but man the Hard level is just impossible to get through for either one of us or our son. Though I got to hand it the kiddo, he doesn't give up, he's trying it out now whereas he used to sit and watch. I didn't have GH I so I only know about GH II. I really enjoyed it for Christmas last year. There is a new expansion coming out, 80's rock. LOL! Def-initely going to get that. ;) :D

ETA: I actually played this and won on meduim, it was cool! But for fun to entertain my 10 yr old, I play on easy where I can get almost 100%. ;)

Last edited:

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I beat the medium level, but the hard is INSANE! I, too, can't wait for the rock band one... :D And the 80's one will be AWESOME!!

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Don't feel too badly. My next door neighbor, John Mayer, told me he's lousy at this game, too.

(By the way, you don't have to believe that, but it's true).

(Yes, THEE John Mayer).
My wife says I make faces like John Mayer when I play guitar.

I make the same face when I play Guitar Hero.

:Shrug:

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
My wife says I make faces like John Mayer when I play guitar.

I make the same face when I play Guitar Hero.

:Shrug:

But at least you're not on television at the time. Although, I'm sure there's a reality show in the works. Wait a minute while I call my friend at Vh-1.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
We ordered the 80's Encore bundle Friday and it should be here by Weds. I will post about how awesome it is once I've seen it in action. :D Needless to we're all really excited about it. :D