PDA

View Full Version : Colleen McCullough

Justin91
07-12-2007, 12:53 AM
I am a big fan of the Masters of Rome series written by Colleen McCullough. I have read the series several times. I have tried to read other historical novels about the Roman Republic since, but everything else seems bland and poorly written.

Any other fans of the masters of Rome series?

aadams73
07-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Of that series, I've only read Caesar's Women. But my all-time favorite book is The Thorn Birds. She's an amazing writer and it's a shame she is now blind.

Marian Perera
07-12-2007, 03:01 AM
I've often wished I had enough time to do an in-depth review of The Thorn Birds. I read Tim as well - sweet love story - and really enjoyed The First Man in Rome. She did a lot of research on that one.

Justin91
07-12-2007, 03:13 AM
The Thorn Birds is on my TBR list! I will probably fit it in this winter.

ned
07-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Yes, I've read them through about three times each. Wonderful stuff! The last was my favorite; I fell in love with all of her characters progressively, and since Octavian was the most enigmatic, of course I'd love to read more. I almost cried when she said she was done with it after Caesar's death. I mean, isn't it just getting started?

The research this author has done had to have been alarmingly tedious. I'm sure it's so hard, but how can she stop now? Maybe they just aren't selling that well?

aruna
07-26-2007, 10:11 AM
The Thorn Birds is one of my favourite all-time novels. I would also describe it as the type of book I aspire to write, or already write - big, lush, multi-generational, lifetime-spanning, where the country is a character; and of course a great love story.