PDA

View Full Version : Avatar: The Last Airbender

Pages : [1] 2

PattiTheWicked
07-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Normally I'm not a cartoon watcher, other than the occasional episode of Fairly Oddparents, but I am totally hooked on Avatar.

As if it wasn't cool enough that the story is a neat mix of eastern mysticism and mythology blended with a Tale of Three Friends, it's also got really cool guest voices like Jason Isaacs and Clancy Brown in there.

Anyone else watch this?

auntybug
07-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Guilty. It was the only one I would watch when my daughter had her shows on. We've cancelled Tv...how the Bison (Apa?) doing? He was lost last time I watched;)

Soccer Mom
07-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Guilty. My son has a stuffed lemur named Momo.

And sometimes I watch it when the kids aren't home. :Ssh:

Sheryl Nantus
07-11-2007, 10:12 PM
excellent show - we've got the first season boxed set and am anxiously waiting for the second...

it's a darned good show for kids and adults - and if you check the credits, there's actual martial artists credited for creating the movements.

double bonus points!

:D

Rainy Night
07-12-2007, 12:04 AM
M. Night Shamalyn is currently working on a live action Avatar movie for Nickelodeon.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117956950.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

reenkam
07-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I think it's the best cartoon to be made, as far as I'm concerned...

III
07-12-2007, 12:16 AM
My kids watch it all the time on TV and YouTube. I haven't logged any time with it, though. I don't want to get hooked.

Ab_Normal
07-12-2007, 02:16 AM
M. Night Shamalyn is currently working on a live action Avatar movie for Nickelodeon.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117956950.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

*bah* *gah* *bloop* (pushes reset button) (restarting, please wait...)

I hesitate to contemplate the twist ending... maybe they won't let him write the screenplay.

Norma

oh, and we just Netflix'd the second season on DVD... :D

maxmordon
09-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Great TV show; always watch it with my godson while I babysit him

dolores haze
09-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Love it. Especially those very complex villians.

Sheryl Nantus
09-16-2007, 05:38 PM
just got the second season boxed set last night - Season THREE premieres THIS FRIDAY on Nick!!!

w00t!

PattiTheWicked
09-16-2007, 05:40 PM
I've already got my DVR settings ready!!

The_Grand_Duchess
09-16-2007, 05:53 PM
I love it!! I am all about team Ang! Don't forget Sulu was a voice guest.

I love when Ang goes all Avatar. That's awesome. And Zuko is the man.

I got cable just in time for season three. Go me.

P.H.Delarran
09-16-2007, 10:51 PM
I agree, this is a good one.

Writer14
09-17-2007, 01:03 AM
I watch this show. ^_^ i love it.!

Leva
09-17-2007, 06:25 AM
A friend brought over season one, sat me down, made me watch it. Hooked. Shamelessly. I won't say it's the best cartoon I've ever watched, but maybe #3, after Gargoyles and Fullmetal Alchemist. (The quibble I have with it is that sometimes things are resolved a little too simplistically.)

I went to buy season 2 this weekend and it was $89!!!! *coughs* For five disks!

Anyone know a cheaper place to buy it than Best Buy retail?

Shadow_Ferret
09-17-2007, 03:55 PM
My kids watch it if there's nothing else on. Just bores me.

Nit's also got really cool guest voices like Jason Isaacs and Clancy Brown in there.

Who?

Writer14
09-17-2007, 04:18 PM
A friend brought over season one, sat me down, made me watch it. Hooked. Shamelessly. I won't say it's the best cartoon I've ever watched, but maybe #3, after Gargoyles and Fullmetal Alchemist. (The quibble I have with it is that sometimes things are resolved a little too simplistically.)

I loveeee Fullmetal Alchemist. Favorite show =]
Anyway, I need to buy the first two seasons of Avatar. I've missed so much of it, i'm really behind.

Sheryl Nantus
09-17-2007, 04:23 PM

Best Buy actually had it on sale for $45 - even with the 89 label it was different at the cash... might want to go back and see if the sale is still on - got ours on Saturday!

PattiTheWicked
09-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Who?

Jason Isaacs (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005042/)plays Lucius Malfoy in the HP series, and was Captain Hook in the most recent incarnation of Peter Pan. He's on my Short List of celebrities I'm allowed to leave my husband for.

Clancy Brown (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000317/) is a brilliant character actor who appears in damn near everything, including The Shawshank Redemption, the series Earth 2, and the original Highlander movie.

Avatar has some really cool people doing guest voices.

C.bronco
09-17-2007, 04:35 PM
I like it, but I'm hooked on The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Camp Lazlo also has its merits, as does Foster's Home and My Gym Partner is a Monkey.

Leva
09-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks Sheryl -- it's possible it was on sale, the DVD section was a mess there. It was tucked in with the anime, which probably wasn't where it was supposed to be on the shelf ... Alas, I spent my DVD money this month on other things. I'll probably get it from Netflix.

Anyone know if season 3 eps can be downloaded legally anywhere? I don't have satellite or cable TV. (I've found it cheaper just to pay for the TV episodes that I want off I-tunes or whatever, or wait and get 'em from Netflix.)

-- Leva

Best Buy actually had it on sale for $45 - even with the 89 label it was different at the cash... might want to go back and see if the sale is still on - got ours on Saturday!

The_Grand_Duchess
09-22-2007, 05:32 AM
Fullmetel is not a cartoon, its anime. There's a difference.

And I just saw the premiere episode. It was the awesome.

And there was a cute little cartoon afterwards. :)

Soccer Mom
09-22-2007, 06:28 AM
I like it, but I'm hooked on The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Camp Lazlo also has its merits, as does Foster's Home and My Gym Partner is a Monkey.

All of these are popular choices at my house.

Sheryl Nantus
09-22-2007, 06:50 AM
this season is SO GONNA ROCK!!!

*does happy dance*

Shadow_Ferret
09-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Fullmetel is not a cartoon, its anime. There's a difference.

Yeah. A cartoon has 7 letters and anime only 5.

Writing Jedi
09-23-2007, 03:03 AM
I opened up a book to read while my son watched Avatar...I wound up not reading one word of the book but getting hooked on Avatar instead. LOL.

Prince Zuko is my favourite character.

The_Grand_Duchess
09-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah. A cartoon has 7 letters and anime only 5.

You just don't understand. . .

I opened up a book to read while my son watched Avatar...I wound up not reading one word of the book but getting hooked on Avatar instead. LOL.

Prince Zuko is my favourite character.

Because Avatar is the awesome! Zuko is the best character becuase you see more of a full person in him. I think it might be becuase he's older than the other chars but you see more of a gray area in him than you do in the others. The other people, good and bad, that's it. Zuko has a real struggle going on there.

I don't think he's really a bad guy. I think he's going to redeem himself at the end and become the next Fire Lord to ensure that this mess never happens again. . . and also he's going to marry that cute girl from the earth kingdom.

Jcomp
09-24-2007, 07:12 PM
I'll freely admit to being hooked on Avatar.

Sheryl Nantus
09-24-2007, 08:29 PM
and also he's going to marry that cute girl from the earth kingdom.

you know, I keep going backwards and forwards on this - I'd love to see Aang and Katarra together, but... the evil side of me wants her to hook up with Zuko to just settle them both down and create a harmonious society.

:Shrug:

I just wanna know what happened to Suki! If she's really gone... I'm gonna be mad!

:Soapbox:

PattiTheWicked
09-24-2007, 09:32 PM
I heart Sokka. He's just adorable. If I was a fifteen-year-old animated character, I'd totally date him.

And Zuko? I love the way his character has evolved. There's so much depth to him, and clearly he's not letting his Evil Sister in on what COULD have happened to Aang.

Oh, and Tof kicks butt too. I'm wondering if she'll ever end up back with her family in the palace.

The_Grand_Duchess
09-25-2007, 12:22 AM
I heart Sokka. He's just adorable. If I was a fifteen-year-old animated character, I'd totally date him.

Me too!

maxmordon
11-20-2007, 11:45 PM
AH! I can't watch any episodes of the 3rd season nor the reruns of the 1st and 2nd season because they showed it right on the time of my nightly French classes :(

maxmordon
12-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Newsflash for fans! Third season is the final one for this arc. There will be other 3 seasons but seeems to be hinted that will continue a whole new set of characters in the same world...

Straka
12-27-2007, 07:07 AM
I think its a good path in to real anime for people. Certainly ideal for kids. I like how they handle some aspects of the story.

Personally I prefer anime for its more adult themes and darker stories. Though oddly enough many of those shows are designed for kids in Japan

regdog
09-27-2008, 11:36 PM
I thought the series was great and am sorry it ended. Though I think the final movie Sozin's Comet was great. A lot of show's don't have an ending episode that good.

Really disappointed with what they did to Azula though. She never struck me as being so mentally frail that she would have fallen apart like she did.

Bartholomew
09-27-2008, 11:50 PM
I got the impression that the writers and the producers were both trying to go in different directions with the fate of Azula and the Firelord. Like the producers wanted something kid friendly with a positive message, and the writers wanted something extreme, realistic and powerful. The compromise between kid friendly and realistic struck me as unusual.

Just an impression I got.

regdog
09-27-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm wondering if they did it as a set up to another Avatar movie where Azula and her father escape where they are and go after Aang and Zuko

maxmordon
09-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Thank you for spoiling it over me, some of us are still waiting that Nickelodeon Latin America airs Escape From The Boiling Rock!

Elonna
09-28-2008, 10:34 AM
I love this show and will be really bummed if they don't continue it. We own the first 2 seasons on DVD and can't wait to get the 3rd. It's one of the few shows that actually makes me laugh out loud...I love Sokka! :D

maxmordon
09-28-2008, 10:46 AM
He is so lovable...

I have heard the creators are talking of making another series set in the same world...

Elonna
09-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Yes he is...I think he and Zuko really had the most personal growth throughout the series. I'm not sure how much I'd like a new series without the regular characters, but I'd give it a chance and see I guess.

maxmordon
09-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Same here, better a wait and see approach...

What are your feelings about the live-action trilogy?

Darzian
09-28-2008, 08:54 PM
I just LOVE Avatar. Episodes didn't come on for months, and then it all ended. While the ending was mostly awesome, I am terribly said it's over.

Oh, and Avatar is classified more as an 'anime' than as a cartoon. Cartoons are more.....cartoonish.

I would love to talk about the ending, but won't post spoilers. Maybe we can have another thread for people who've seen the whole thing, and wish to discuss the ending?

Darzian
09-28-2008, 08:58 PM
People who love Avatar and Full Metal Alchemist (which is even better IMO) would also likely love Bleach and Naruto.

maxmordon
09-28-2008, 10:46 PM
I like Avatar and Full Metal Alchemist; yet, I don't like Naruto nor Bleach...

Elonna
09-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Same here, better a wait and see approach...

What are your feelings about the live-action trilogy?

I hadn't heard about it. My son usually keeps me up on things like that. He sometimes writes fan-fiction on Nick.com. I'll have to ask him about it. But in theory, as long as they had the right actors, I think it would be fun :)

maxmordon
09-29-2008, 12:23 AM
And it will be directed by M. Night Shaynalan

regdog
09-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Sorry of I posted anything that is going to spoil it for anyone. I didn't realize some places had yet to see the end of book 3. :(

I don't know about a live action movie. I think I'd have a hard time seeing anyone as Aang Sokka Katra Toph and of couse Azula other than the animated versions.

And I have to admit to not being a big fan of M Night Shamaylan.
I will have to keep an open mind.

Maybe Darzian is right and we could have an avatar thread that has spoilers so those who haven't seen everything yet won't have it ruined.

maxmordon
09-29-2008, 03:34 AM
Don't mind about that, but at least it would be good to have a warning on the thread title.

I bet you don't want to see anyone else, besides you, as Azula, eh Heather?

Darzian
09-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Or rather, we'll wait until Book Fire is officially broadcast everywhere. I've never found spoiler warnings to be particularly effective.

ChaosTitan
09-29-2008, 06:50 AM
I would love to talk about the ending, but won't post spoilers. Maybe we can have another thread for people who've seen the whole thing, and wish to discuss the ending?

If you'd like to talk about episodes that haven't been broadcast everywhere, please use Spoiler Warnings. It prevents the need for multiple threads (hence, the reason the latest was merged with this one).

maxmordon
09-29-2008, 11:48 AM
I hadn't heard about it. My son usually keeps me up on things like that. He sometimes writes fan-fiction on Nick.com. I'll have to ask him about it. But in theory, as long as they had the right actors, I think it would be fun :)

Aww, reminds me to my godson. He hasn't written any fan fic but we both share a passion for avatar (he even gave me his trading cards!)

regdog
09-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Don't mind about that, but at least it would be good to have a warning on the thread title.

I bet you don't want to see anyone else, besides you, as Azula, eh Heather?

Is there anything wrong with that?;)

maxmordon
09-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Is there anything wrong with that?;)

I hope not... :tongue

"burns Fire Nation soldier cosplay uniform sketches"

maxmordon
10-26-2008, 11:39 PM
I finally saw it and it was awesome!

I understand why they let Ozai live, but it bugs me that Aang didn't had the moral dilemma before. I mean, what he was going to do on the Day of the Black Sun?

Darzian
12-13-2008, 09:55 PM
I thought of raising a question.

Why can't fire benders fire bend during a solar eclipse? Do they depend on sunlight reaching the earth to bend? If so, then what about night? Or maybe the moon reflecting the sun;s light is enough? If so, then what about new moons nights?

Maybe I'm digging too much but I was just curious.

Greenwolf103
12-13-2008, 10:43 PM

I understand why they let Ozai live, but it bugs me that Aang didn't had the moral dilemma before. I mean, what he was going to do on the Day of the Black Sun?

I think he had the dilemma when it got closer and closer to D-Day. IMO There were earlier parts of the show in which he was struggling with this and, as the time got closer and closer, it became just really hard for him to deal with. He didn't resolve it before but he HAD to come to terms with his responsibility now. So that's why I think it was such a big thing towards the end.

I, too, was disappointed with how Azula turned out. And I was sad to see it end. Thank goodness for reruns.

Wavy_Blue
11-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Old thread revival time!

I finished this series a couple of months ago (I was able to watch the DVDs over the course of a few weeks) and I'm stilled awed by how good it was. I started watching it on the recommendation of friend, and I was just expecting it to be a good cartoon, but I was completely blown away. About half-way through the first season it hit me: "Wow, this show is actually really good." By the time I watched the series finale, I was so emotionally invested that I was sitting hunched in a ball in front of my computer, bawling my eyes out. I don't remember being that emotionally invested in a television show, well, ever.

So, if you've never watched Avatar: The Last Airbender, you really ought to. Especially before the botched film comes out next summer.

Zoombie
11-26-2009, 12:45 AM
I'll put it on my list!

Canotila
11-26-2009, 11:04 AM

Why can't fire benders fire bend during a solar eclipse? Do they depend on sunlight reaching the earth to bend? If so, then what about night? Or maybe the moon reflecting the sun;s light is enough? If so, then what about new moons nights?

I always thought it was because moonlight is sunlight reflected off the moon, and waterbending power was affected not by moonlight, but by the physical presence of the moon itself. Kind of like how the moon affects tides, that aspect of it doesn't have to do with the light as much as it's position.

Ugh, I'm such a nerd.

When I was pregnant I had to be on bed rest for twenty weeks, and I watched every episode (which was season 1, 2 and half of season 3) four or five times.

maxmordon
11-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Any info on the movie?

regdog
11-26-2009, 11:24 PM

On the Day of Black Sun, Aang might have believed he could defeat Firelord Ozai without having to kill him because Ozai would have had no firebending. I don't think Aang really believed he would have to kill Ozai until Zuko made it clear that Ozai would never surrender and fight to the death.

I always thought it was because moonlight is sunlight reflected off the moon, and waterbending power was affected not by moonlight, but by the physical presence of the moon itself. Kind of like how the moon affects tides, that aspect of it doesn't have to do with the light as much as it's position.

Ugh, I'm such a nerd.

When I was pregnant I had to be on bed rest for twenty weeks, and I watched every episode (which was season 1, 2 and half of season 3) four or five times.

Good idea, I was thinking along the lines of the eclipse upsetting the natural balance between the sun and moon. Firebenders can still bend at night, just as waterbenders can bend during the day. But Uncle and Aang always talked about the need for balance for all benders. Perhaps the eclipse is unnatural for benders.

Any info on the movie?

Besides that I'm not interested in it. Try here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938283/)

Greenwolf, I agree with you about how the ended Azula. I think she deserved better than that. In one episode she went from being tough, cold, calculating, driven and a master bender to an unhinged paranoid basket case.

MsGneiss
11-30-2009, 02:11 AM
My four-year-old is obsessed with Avatar, and I actually approve (he doesn't get much TV media, but I'm ok with this show). I think it's so clever and pretty, and I watch it with him and enjoy it thoroughly. I am not sure about the upcoming live-action movie, so I'll wait for the reviews to determine whether to take him to see it.

Cyia
11-30-2009, 02:31 AM
Did I see right - that this is directed by M. Night Shyamalan? If so, this better be done better than Lady in the Water.

Ratiekae
03-05-2010, 02:11 AM
I'm a total Avatar super-geek! If I had any money at all, I'd buy the books on DVD. But alas, I am broke.

Anyone else here fantasize about being able to bend? I'd love to be a waterbender!

Because.
03-05-2010, 03:13 AM
I remember when it first premiered, I think I was 11. My little sister and I would act like the characters as the episode went along. I would wait anxiously for the next episode. And I remember freaking out during that long (almost a year) hiatus. I remember my mom yelling 'It's a cartoon!' when I started screaming when Zuko was struck down during the finale (and they went on commercial).

I think Avatar and Rugrats should duke it out so they are no longer tied as my favorite animation.

Ratiekae
03-05-2010, 03:35 AM
I agree! I love the Rugrats!

At a summer camp one year, a group of us were swimming in the river and tried to come up with actual waterbending moves. Basically, the point was to see who could soak the opponants the most, and our techniques got pretty involved. One guy actually managed to inflict pain through splashing. Best group nerd-fest I've ever seen at a Bible camp.

Wavy_Blue
03-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Don't worry, you're not alone. My best friend introduced me to Avatar, as well as two of her roommates from school. Well, we were all riding the public light rail downtown one fine evening, and our conversation quickly came to Avatar. We discussed which nation we would be a part of, the best characters, episodes, etc, who we would dress up as for Halloween...I think we decided I would be an Earthbender. Though I think I'm a little bit of a Firebender, too. :D Then we went to dinner in the city, went to the planetarium, went home, and...watched more Avatar.

I've been rewatching the series the past few weeks. Currently near the beginning of Book Two. I just watched the Cave of Two Lovers episode, and I had forgotten how hilarious the Nomads were. Secret secret secret secret tunnel!

Man, I love this show so much.

Ratiekae
03-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Great, now I'm gonna have their songs stuck in my head all night.

I believe last weekend and a few before that, I sat down and practically watched the entire series all over again. Good times.
Just last night a friend and I freaked out for about an hour over the movie trailers we hadn't seen. I wasn't aware two new ones came out after the Super Bowl...huh.

Bartholomew
03-05-2010, 07:56 AM
The movie needs to come out. :(

maxmordon
03-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Soon, Bart, Soon.

Ratiekae
03-06-2010, 02:08 AM
July 2nd is NOT soon enough!! graarg!

maxmordon
03-06-2010, 02:16 AM
Perhaps we could cryogenically froze ourselves until then!

Ratiekae
03-06-2010, 04:48 AM
We'd need to leave someone behind to melt us. hmmmm....who should sacrifice their sanity?
NOT IT!!!

regdog
03-06-2010, 05:31 PM
We'd need to leave someone behind to melt us. hmmmm....who should sacrifice their sanity?
NOT IT!!!

Well, I guess it's me once I go back to my usual avvie

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/176.jpg

kaitie
03-06-2010, 05:47 PM
July 2nd is NOT soon enough!! graarg!

Oh the really sucky thing is that it doesn't come out until August in Japan, and I'm going to be going back to the states in August, so I might be gone before it's released. I'm just hoping I can still get to go see it in a theater.

regdog
03-06-2010, 06:50 PM
I've been rewatching the series the past few weeks. Currently near the beginning of Book Two. I just watched the Cave of Two Lovers episode, and I had forgotten how hilarious the Nomads were. Secret secret secret secret tunnel!

Man, I love this show so much.

Badger moles coming towards me, come on guys help me out

Wavy_Blue
03-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Badger moles coming towards me, come on guys help me out

"I just remembered the rest of that song! ....And die!"

S.J.
03-07-2010, 12:36 AM
"I just remembered the rest of that song! ....And die!"

"Nobody react to what I'm about to say... but I think that kid might be the avatar."

Sokka: *facepalm*

:tongue

regdog
03-07-2010, 04:08 PM
"Nobody react to what I'm about to say... but I think that kid might be the avatar."

Sokka: *facepalm*

:tongue

"Yeah we're separated, but don't worry, you've still got us"

Wavy_Blue
03-20-2010, 04:43 AM
"Yeah we're separated, but don't worry, you've still got us"

Poor Sokka. He facepalmed a lot in that episode.

I'm just about through Book Two right now. Just two more episodes. Man, the end of this season is brilliant. I just love the Lake Laogai episode. The way everything comes together and the reunion between Appa and the gang...and the way Toph says "he's lying" when Jet says he's going to be fine is heartbreaking.

Also, doing good deeds makes Zuko violently ill. Bahaha...

maxmordon
03-20-2010, 04:50 AM
Woohoo! The Earth King has invited me to Lake Laogai! What could possibly go wrong?

Because.
03-20-2010, 05:15 AM
"Don't let the cave in get you down!"

Toph: "Hey, wait a minute. Has anyone noticed that Momo is missing too?"
Sokka: "Oh no. I knew it was only a matter of time! APPA ATE MOMO!"

Sorry love these quotes...:D

S.J.
03-22-2010, 03:49 AM
Toph: "Hey, wait a minute. Has anyone noticed that Momo is missing too?"
Sokka: "Oh no. I knew it was only a matter of time! APPA ATE MOMO!"

"Get out of the bison's mouth, Sokka..."

maxmordon
03-22-2010, 03:57 AM
http://www.foroswebgratis.com/imagenes_foros/9/7/0/8/1/427661friendly%20mushroom.jpg

"it's...a..giant mushroom! Maybe it's friendly!!!"

Etola
03-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Woohoo! The Earth King has invited me to Lake Laogai! What could possibly go wrong?

Are you honored to accept his invitation? ;)

maxmordon
03-23-2010, 02:41 AM
Are you honored to accept his invitation? ;)

Yes and meet the Dai Li, the protectors of our culture.

regdog
03-25-2010, 12:15 AM
What are you doing firebending your tea? For a wise old man that was pretty stupid.

Wavy_Blue
03-25-2010, 08:27 PM
http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/File:Joo_Dee_Training.jpghttp://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080601003034/avatar/images/d/d7/Joo_Dee_Training.jpg

You're in Ba Sing Se now. Everyone is safe here.

Etola
03-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Wavy_blue, that has got to be one of the creepiest shots in the ENTIRE SERIES.

Gah, love the Ba Sing Se plot, but man it gave me the shudders!

regdog
03-26-2010, 10:27 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/340.jpg

I'm saying I'd rather kiss you than die. What, that's a compliment

Jane Poirot
03-29-2010, 03:17 AM
I got into this series a while ago. I've got to say, it's friggin' epic. I can see how it could easily be mistaken for an anime, as it is done in a similar style, and it contains a lot of references to Eastern culture.

Btw, has anyone read the infamous fan comic How I Became Yours ? It is just...so bad...it's hilarious.

regdog
04-06-2010, 03:42 PM
"If we're discovered by the Earth Kingdom we'll be killed."

"If we're caught by the Fire Nation we'll be turned over to Azula."

"Earth Kingdom it is."

Ratiekae
04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Who lit Toph on fire?

regdog
04-07-2010, 04:30 PM
I used to be boomerang guy.

regdog
04-07-2010, 04:31 PM
"You've been hallucinating on cactus juice all morning, and then you just lick something you find on the wall of a cave."

"I have a natural curiosity."

S.J.
04-07-2010, 05:15 PM
"Delectable tea... or deadly poison?"

kaitie
04-07-2010, 05:29 PM
My friend just linked me this and I had to share. :D

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs15/f/2007/050/9/e/Safety_First_by_rufftoon.jpg

regdog
04-08-2010, 02:57 PM
EPIC WIN!!!:ROFL:

regdog
04-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't think boomerang is coming back, Toph.

Wavy_Blue
04-09-2010, 01:04 AM
http://th00.deviantart.net/fs22/300W/f/2007/363/8/5/Aang__s_Father_by_angelwingkitty.jpg

regdog
04-09-2010, 09:40 PM
:ROFL:

Ratiekae
04-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Sparky Sparky Boom-Man!

regdog
04-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Sounds like you're going to Omashu

regdog
04-13-2010, 04:36 PM
No, you miscalculated. You should have feared me more.

PoppysInARow
05-16-2010, 01:48 AM
http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/TyLuko4Ever/toph.jpg

"Oh Sokka, you saved me!" *smooch*
"Actually... it's me."
"Oh. Well, you can go ahead and let me drown now."

Katrina S. Forest
05-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Sparky Sparky Boom-Man!

"Wait a minute, YOU sent Sparky Sparky Boom Man after us?"
"Well, that's not really his name, but..."

^_^

I need to rewatch this show. I remember far too few of the awesome quotes.

smsarber
06-24-2010, 07:40 PM
"Aang, it's great to see you. You haven't changed a bit... literally."~King Boomie

smsarber
06-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Anybody have the whole show on dvd I can borrow for a week? lol Wanted to buy all three seasons cuz our whole family watches, but it would cost me 120 bucks. I'll just burn it...

Wavy_Blue
06-24-2010, 07:47 PM
You can find most of the episodes on Nick Online. Also, the Nicktoons channel (if you have it) has been showing tons of Avatar lately.

Or, check out your local library!

smsarber
06-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Nicktoons is on all day and night. I love it as much as my son. We both quote Avatar, FoP, Penguins of Madagascar, etc... My wife hasn't seen all of Avatar; she always misses certain episodes. One good thing for being disabled: lots of cartoons!

Smileycat
06-24-2010, 10:24 PM
I've never seen it. I thought it was about (of all things) a frisbee catching dog! NOT kidding!!

I am looking forward to it now.

MsGneiss
06-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Anybody have the whole show on dvd I can borrow for a week? lol Wanted to buy all three seasons cuz our whole family watches, but it would cost me 120 bucks. I'll just burn it...

Our public library had all the DVDs, so we now have the complete series. The public library rocks.

dirtsider
06-25-2010, 05:37 PM
LOL - I just picked these up last night. Haven't had the chance to watch them yet, though.

smsarber
06-26-2010, 02:50 AM
Our public library had all the DVDs, so we now have the complete series. The public library rocks.
Ours doesn't have a good selection of dvds, really... well, last time we were there, before I got sick in Dec. I'll check them out this weekend.

dirtsider
06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Started watching this over the weekend. Already finished season 1 and started season 2. Sokka is hysterical. Love Zuko's uncle (can't remember his name off the bat). All the MC's are well done but those two are so the comic relief.

Wavy_Blue
06-30-2010, 10:42 PM
IGN posted an article of their ten best Avatar episodes: http://tv.ign.com/articles/110/1102486p1.html

Pretty solid list, but I wouldn't say that The Storm is the best. Also, it's missing Into the Inferno and City of Walls and Secrets, two of the best in my opinion.

dirtsider
07-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Ok, finished season 2. (What can I say? It's a fun show and it's been too hot to go outside...) I think one of my favorite episodes so far has been "Tales of Ba Sing Se". Especially the Tale of Zuko. Gotta love the fact that Zuko didn't recognize the fact that girl was interested in him. Then he stomps back into the tea house as if in a huff but admits he had fun. Iroh knows his nephew too well.

firedrake
07-01-2010, 01:15 AM
IGN posted an article of their ten best Avatar episodes: http://tv.ign.com/articles/110/1102486p1.html

Pretty solid list, but I wouldn't say that The Storm is the best. Also, it's missing Into the Inferno and City of Walls and Secrets, two of the best in my opinion.

Very interesting, that list contains three episodes that stand out for me:
1. Tales of Ba Sing Se (see my comment below)
2. Siege of the North (gorgeous animation, music, fantastic storyline)
3. The Firebending Masters (the dragons, Zuko and Aang doing the Dragon Dance with the dragons and, again, the music...beautiful)

Ok, finished season 2. (What can I say? It's a fun show and it's been too hot to go outside...) I think one of my favorite episodes so far has been "Tales of Ba Sing Se". Especially the Tale of Zuko. Gotta love the fact that Zuko didn't recognize the fact that girl was interested in him. Then he stomps back into the tea house as if in a huff but admits he had fun. Iroh knows his nephew too well.

I loved the Tale of Iroh. I can honestly say that I have never come across a cartoon series (made for TV) that has made my eyes well up and my throat sting the way Avatar has. I thought this was such a sad, sweet little tale and I loved that they dedicated it to Mako, which made me even weepier.

I liked the Tale of Momo too, but then I want a Momo of my very own. :D

dirtsider
07-01-2010, 01:25 AM
The entire "Tales of Ba Sing Se" was well done. But I love any scene with Iroh in it since he's just a funny character. It's because he's soooo laid back. He pretty much steals every scene he's in. Then to see that last bit in the Tale of Iroh where he's having the picnic in honor of his dead son - that's definitely a tear jerker. And it's so obvious that Zuko really loves his uncle despite his teen-aged angst.

firedrake
07-01-2010, 01:28 AM
The entire "Tales of Ba Sing Se" was well done. But I love any scene with Iroh in it since he's just a funny character. It's because he's soooo laid back. He pretty much steals every scene he's in. Then to see that last bit in the Tale of Iroh where he's having the picnic in honor of his dead son - that's definitely a tear jerker. And it's so obvious that Zuko really loves his uncle despite his teen-aged angst.

I love Iroh too, for the same reasons.

I'm really glad Nicktoons is showing everything all over again. I just never get tired of watching it. All the clever little things going on in the background, the humor, great animation.

I could go on and on and on about how much I enjoy it.

willietheshakes
07-01-2010, 03:23 AM
SCATHING review of the film from Roger Ebert today, with a significant amount of space given over to just how good the series was, and how crappy the film is, both on its own and by comparison.

ceenindee
07-01-2010, 08:23 AM
^Aww that depresses me. :( Won't stop me from seeing it, of course...but I want it to do well.

Mr. Anonymous
07-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Just got back from the 12:00 premiere. I wasn't expecting much, having read the Roger Ebert review, but I have to say he was right across the board.

Bad acting.

Bad writing.

Special effects were ok, but nothing all that "special."

And the fight scenes were also only adequate.

The last movie I saw that was this bad was Eragon. But I think Eragon had better acting. Not by much, but better. lol.

It may be the worst movie I've ever seen.

This is coming from someone who is not a "follower" of the show but who has enjoyed a couple episodes here and there.

smsarber
07-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Who cares what some idiot critic says? They gave terrible reviews to just about every one of the 1,000 movies in my collection. I just watched the short on it, with M. Night Shamylan and the actors, and thought it looked amazing.

Of course, regardless of what anyone says, we'll see it. The whole house sits down daily for Avatar-time. I'll happily hand over my $20 dollars, and another x-amount for my son's ticket, and if it sucks, who really gives a damn? He'll have fun at the movies with me.

Katrina S. Forest
07-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Okay, I was really excited for this movie. I've seen the show in its entirety. Then I read the reviews. Every movie I look up on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes as the worst I've ever seen did better.

So my question to people who've gone to see it and have seen the show - can I at least get some enjoyment out of laughing at how much they butchered it? Or does it seriously fall into the category of completely unwatchable? I will still watch it eventually, but right now I'm leaning towards waiting for the DVD so my best friend and I can MST3K it aloud instead of in our heads and so we can stop or skip scenes as needed.

regdog
07-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I could care less what any critic says. Their opinion is not going to stilt my opinion one way or the other. Nor would it make me see a movie I don't want to or stop me from seeing one I do.

Katrina S. Forest
07-01-2010, 04:00 PM
*shrugs* I disagree. I find critics useful. I would not have gone to see "How to Train Your Dragon" if not for the amazing reviews. It looked silly in the previews to me. It was actually endearing. I'd have missed a lot of good films if I had just based my decision to watch them on previews alone. If a movie breaks 95% on RT, I'm willing to give it a chance, and I've rarely been disappointed.

Now, that being said, I've gone to see films in spite of bad reviews, and often, I've had to admit I agree with the critics there too. (I went to go see, "Clash of the Titans," and though I only hoped for a fun, mindless adventure film, I didn't even get that much. Medusa looked cool. That's the only good thing I could say. EDIT: This is, of course, my opinion on the film, and I am not trying to say anything bad about people who feel the opposite.)

Last Airbender reviews are far worse than Clash of the Titans. They're worse than Transformers 2, and that movie was, by all definitions imo, unwatchable. I'm certainly not discouraging people from going to see it who really want to, but from my perspective, I want to know if it's worth the effort and if I can at least get a good laugh from the writing (which even fans of the film seem to agree is bad). So any insight from fans of the series who do go to see it would be greatly appreciated.

smsarber
07-01-2010, 04:06 PM
See? My wife and I liked Clash of the Titans. Does that make us brainless media-junkies? Hell no. Make up your own opinions, and don't wait for anyone to tell you how you should feel about a movie, a cd, a book... Everybody, icluding critics, are different. They will see each (insert media form here) differently. I might love Iron Maiden (I do), you may think they are talentless screaming hacks. That's the beauty of it: we all get to make up our own minds in life.

Off the:Soapbox:now.

Of course, watch the movie, don't watch the movie--it's still going to make millions for the actors, producers, theaters, director, agents, and even the cartoon creators and cartoon dvd sales.

Amadan
07-01-2010, 04:24 PM
See? My wife and I liked Clash of the Titans. Does that make us brainless media-junkies? Hell no. Make up your own opinions, and don't wait for anyone to tell you how you should feel about a movie, a cd, a book... Everybody, icluding critics, are different. They will see each (insert media form here) differently. I might love Iron Maiden (I do), you may think they are talentless screaming hacks. That's the beauty of it: we all get to make up our own minds in life.

True enough. But we also like to have a way of filtering out crap without having to sample it all personally ourselves.

I'd rarely base my desire to read a book or see a movie on the opinion of a single critic (unless I know that critic's tastes consistently match mine), but when there is a very large degree of consensus (i.e., just about everyone is saying "This sucks!"), it's usually worth paying attention to.

Katrina S. Forest
07-01-2010, 04:34 PM
True enough. But we also like to have a way of filtering out crap without having to sample it all personally ourselves.

I'd rarely base my desire to read a book or see a movie on the opinion of a single critic (unless I know that critic's tastes consistently match mine), but when there is a very large degree of consensus (i.e., just about everyone is saying "This sucks!"), it's usually worth paying attention to.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say. (Only you said it much better.) I didn't mean to start a debate about how much critics' opinions should be weighed. (Nor did I mean to bash anybody who did enjoy Clash of the Titans, I just meant it as an example where I agreed with the reviews that a film wasn't good.)

The bad reviews of Last Airbender aren't deterring me from seeing the film by themselves, but they are convincing me to seek second opinions before I buy a ticket, which was really all I was looking for in this thread.

Again, if I irritated people, I apologize.

smsarber
07-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Fair enough. Still, don't like feeling like a sheep following everyone else's direction. That's just me...

smsarber
07-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Again, if I irritated people, I apologize.

If I came off as irritated, I apologize. I say things in a straight manner that comes off a little harsh at times. No offence taken, or meant.:Hug2:

*looks for disclaimer key on keyboard... grumbles dammit*

And for the record, I haven't read a review, seen a review, or heard a review in ten years or more. I instincively tune them out. So I'm biased in this discussion.

Amadan
07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Fair enough. Still, don't like feeling like a sheep following everyone else's direction. That's just me...

I'm sure you weren't implying that anyone who thinks a movie universally panned by critics is probably worth a pass is a sheep.

smsarber
07-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm sure you weren't implying that anyone who thinks a movie universally panned by critics is probably worth a pass is a sheep.

No, seriously, to be clear: Listening solely to others to guide you through various parts of life is, uh, sheeplike. Taking advice is good sense. If the advice comes from art, film, literary critics, and you choose to listen, great. If it comes from Crazy Uncle Fred and you choose to listen, great. If you mold your life to everything the critics, newcasters, DJs, friends, and Crazy Uncle Fred says... well there may be a problem.

I fall into that category, so don't listen to me either. Any of you. Seriously, I'm just a nutcase with a computer. I can tell you're listening to me--stop it!

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
*ListentoMaidenpeanutbutterisyourfriend
clickmysigeggieandmakeithappywatchgoodmoviestravel toParaguay...*

ceenindee
07-01-2010, 05:45 PM
To those who have seen it--is it based off the whole series or just the first season (and by that I really mean, is Azula a main character or just background material)? I can't tell from most the reviews I've read.

Sheryl Nantus
07-01-2010, 05:56 PM
We'll be catching the movie this weekend - not expecting much, since we're not fans of Shama-ding dong.

When I heard they were doing a live-action film it really annoyed me - I'd much rather have seen MORE of the post-series stories, like what happened to Zuko's mother and how Aang was going to resurrect the airbenders...

Definitely not expecting much now.

:(

smsarber
07-01-2010, 06:04 PM
I'd much rather have seen MORE of the post-series stories, like what happened to Zuko's mother and how Aang was going to resurrect the airbenders...

My wife and I are in total agreement there. We keep hoping Mike Dimartino & Co. will do even a one season series to follow up the kind of open ending of Season Three. What did really become of Zuko's mother? How did Aang and Zuko work together to repair the damage to the world--were there differences of opinion of how things should be handled? Did Aang and Katara become boyfriend/girlfriend after that closing kiss?

A lot of ground to still cover, really.

regdog
07-01-2010, 06:33 PM
One thing I think critics forget is their taste isn't the same as everyone else's. What appeals to one person can be loathed by another.

Not all movies have to be deep, thought provoking, have a bigger meaning, tell a fantastic story, etc. Some can just be a fun time that you watch, enjoy and go home.

Case in point is back on cable now, 1941. Universally ripped to shreds by the critics, still one of my favorite flicks to this day.

Also in the case of The Last Airbender, it is primarily a kid's movie, that ironically has a huge adult fan base. The writers may not have wanted to exclude the kids or adults from enjoying it.

The movie may have suffered because of it's director, who admitted to never seeing one episode. We have had a lot of discussions here about Shamalyan as the choice.

I say, if you want to see don't let anyone else's opinion stop you.

A devoted fan of the series may love the movie regardless

smsarber
07-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Echoes EVERYTHING Regdog just said.

"Canyon Crawlers. A lot of them."
"We barely survived one."

smsarber
07-01-2010, 07:01 PM
If I remember right, Pulp Fiction didn't get all that great reviews, yet it's like #5 of the All-Time Movie List at our Family Video. And definitley one of the most-quoted movies of all time. Sam Jackson's Ezekiel speech is just one of the many quotes.

Could be mistaken...

Amadan
07-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Yeah, well, critics can be wrong sometimes (Star Wars didn't get great reviews either -- but then, Star Wars was a dumb, unoriginal story with bad acting, it became popular because its special effects were eye-popping for its time). But from what I'm reading in the reviews of Avatar, I kind of doubt that this time around they're all missing the hidden genius that will turn it into a cult classic.

smsarber
07-01-2010, 07:23 PM
:ROFL:
You so funneh.

smsarber
07-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Oh. That wasn't a joke?

regdog
07-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Should I do my "I find your lack of faith disturbing" now

Mr. Anonymous
07-01-2010, 07:49 PM
To those who have seen it--is it based off the whole series or just the first season (and by that I really mean, is Azula a main character or just background material)? I can't tell from most the reviews I've read.

It is not based on the entire series.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS
it ends after the attack on the northern water tribe city.

regdog
07-01-2010, 09:22 PM
There are going to be two more movies, each taken from the series. The second movie will be from Book 2-the earth Kingdom, 3rd movie, Book 3 the Fire Nation

Sheryl Nantus
07-01-2010, 09:25 PM
There are going to be two more movies, each taken from the series. The second movie will be from Book 2-the earth Kingdom, 3rd movie, Book 3 the Fire Nation

Not if this one crashes and burns.

Word has it that Rotten Tomatoes has it at about 6%. (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/)

:(

Wavy_Blue
07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

You guys, the movie is so bad. So, so bad.

The screenplay was AWFUL. The pacing was AWFUL. The direction was awkward. There was absolutely zero character development, chemistry, or personality.

The bending was ridiculous. It was not we're-moving-the-element-with-our-body-movements type of bending. It was watch-me-do-this-fancy-dance-move-so-something-magical-happens type bending.

The sets and costumes were gorgeous. One of two good things in the movie.

The other good thing was Dev Patel and Shaun Toub. While the script horribly mangled the Zuko character, Dev Patel actually managed to salvage some character out of it, which was something none of the other actors managed to do. The relationship between him and Iroh was the only one in the film which was at least somewhat believable.

The only scene I enjoyed was the one where Zuko and Iroh went to the feast on Zhao's ship. The fist fight between Zuko and Aang was okay, too. Other than that, I kept wanting to facepalm the whole time.

Oh Nighty, you totally shot this one in the leg. And stomach and arm and face.

smsarber
07-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Yeah, well, critics can be wrong sometimes (Star Wars didn't get great reviews either -- but then, Star Wars was a dumb, unoriginal story with bad acting, it became popular because its special effects were eye-popping for its time). But from what I'm reading in the reviews of Avatar, I kind of doubt that this time around they're all missing the hidden genius that will turn it into a cult classic.
You mean Jabba the Hut ISN'T the GREATEST actor ever?

willietheshakes
07-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Who cares what some idiot critic says?

I do.
And I resent the use of the word "idiot" as a blanket characterization for critics.

You've conceded that you don't read reviews, so I don't feel you're entitled to comment on the process, or on this review in particular, which was grounded in VERY specific observations and which, from the sound of the couple of viewer-responses we've seen in this thread, seem to be valid.

You are certainly entitled to your own taste, and your own opinions. As are we all. As are critics and reviewers.

willietheshakes
07-01-2010, 10:27 PM
If I remember right, Pulp Fiction didn't get all that great reviews, yet it's like #5 of the All-Time Movie List at our Family Video. And definitley one of the most-quoted movies of all time. Sam Jackson's Ezekiel speech is just one of the many quotes.

Could be mistaken...

You are.

Pulp Fiction was a huge critical and festival darling.

Mr. Anonymous
07-01-2010, 10:43 PM
For the record,

Star Wars has 94% on rottentomatoes http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars/
Empire has 97% http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/empire_strikes_back/
Return has 77% http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/return_of_the_jedi/

Pulp Fiction also has 94% http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pulp_fiction/

Critics aren't always right, IMO, but they're a good guide. Occasionally I like a movie they aren't jumping head over heels for, but I very rarely dislike a movie they rave about.

smsarber
07-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I do.
And I resent the use of the word "idiot" as a blanket characterization for critics.

You've conceded that you don't read reviews, so I don't feel you're entitled to comment on the process, or on this review in particular, which was grounded in VERY specific observations and which, from the sound of the couple of viewer-responses we've seen in this thread, seem to be valid.

You are certainly entitled to your own taste, and your own opinions. As are we all. As are critics and reviewers.
It wasn't blanket. It was Ebert-based. One particular critic. I'll retract that, since it is an unfair term as I do not know the man's intelligience quota at all. He may be very smart, not an idiot at all.

You are.

Pulp Fiction was a huge critical and festival darling.
I said I couldn't remember. But the entire, blanket, point is: use your own judgement on selections of movies, or any media. If critical reviews are what works for you, go for it. I watch the movie, read the book, eat the apple. If it turns out to be rotten then I don't do it again.

Besides, I was only having fun. Appearantly my own opinion is much more highly regarded than I'd thought.:hooray:

willietheshakes
07-01-2010, 11:17 PM
It wasn't blanket. It was Ebert-based. One particular critic. I'll retract that, since it is an unfair term as I do not know the man's intelligience quota at all. He may be very smart, not an idiot at all.

Retraction aside, that actually makes the initial comment worse.
You were commenting on the idiocy of something that you had not read, from a critic who you were not familiar with. And yet you felt that YOUR opinion carried more weight than, say, his?

I said it before -- you are willfully uninformed on this matter (you've said it yourself), and your comments should, and I hope are, being viewed with that understanding.

I said I couldn't remember. But the entire, blanket, point is: use your own judgement on selections of movies, or any media. If critical reviews are what works for you, go for it. I watch the movie, read the book, eat the apple. If it turns out to be rotten then I don't do it again.

How many movies do you watch a year? New movies, in theatres. What percentage of the movies released each year do you watch?

How many of those do you write about, leaving yourself open to feedback and criticism?

How many decades have you been doing that for?

I'm not saying that your opinion is any less relevant than Ebert's, for you. I AM saying, though, that I believe you have much less in the way of foundation for those opinions: I suspect, and I may be wrong, but I suspect, that for you it comes down to taste, whether you liked it or not, whereas for a critic -- like Ebert -- objective measures come into play to a much greater degree, and he is able to put aside whether he likes something or not to evaluate it with a greater degree of fairness on its merits than the purely subjective response.

And for the record? I fucking hate being referred to as a "sheep" simply because I look beyond the borders of my own experience and preconceptions at the wider world.

Besides, I was only having fun. Appearantly my own opinion is much more highly regarded than I'd thought.:hooray:

Ah. The "I was only joshin'" defense. Nice.
"Highly regarded," though? Right.

Wavy_Blue
07-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Listen to the critics. The movie is bad bad bad. It's not bad in the way, say, Prince of Persia or A-Team was bad, in the still-completely-watchable-and-entertaining-and-a-fun-time sort of way.

It's just ridiculous and not fun at all. I went in with really low expectations, and I was still disappointed.

smsarber
07-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I never said you were a sheep. Fucking or otherwise. I said I don't like to feel like a sheep. Me, personally.

No I was only joshin defense. I don't defend anything. I was playing around, but of an issue that seems to be much more hot-button than I initially thought.

I don't know how many times I have to say it to make it more understandable: If you want to listen to others DO IT. I don't. My initial statement was "who cares?" Now I know who does. And the fact that it's so important to you tells me it's time to move on with my life, because this will just drag on.

I own over 1,000 movies, but can't go to as many as I'd like due to major health issues (lung removal, coma, bowel surgery, osteoperosis, broke neck & back... do I need to go on? I can...), so I can't sit in the theater long enough to enjoy a movie. But I watch many on DVD. I rarely comment on them in public writing because I feel it's up to others to decide what they want to watch.

If I made you feel like a sheep, or other barnyard animal, I apologize.

smsarber
07-01-2010, 11:35 PM
"Highly regarded," though? Right.
Highly regarded here, at home. WHERE IT COUNTS.

smsarber
07-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Now can we let the thread get back to more important things?

willietheshakes
07-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I never said you were a sheep. Fucking or otherwise. I said I don't like to feel like a sheep. Me, personally.

Unlike the other people who are fine feeling like sheep, right?

I don't defend anything.

No, you seem to prefer to move the goalposts.

My initial statement was "who cares?"

Like this goalpost here.
Did you forget about the "idiot critic" part?
There's a BIG difference between "I prefer to watch movies with as little foreknowledge as possibly, and I'm not fond of film criticism." and "Who cares what some idiot critic says?"

Highly regarded here, at home. WHERE IT COUNTS.

Another moving goalpost, that: you were clearly referring to this thread when you posted that initially.

Now can we let the thread get back to more important things?

Sure. Works for me.

smsarber
07-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I love it here:D

Sooooo warm and cuddly:)

willietheshakes
07-01-2010, 11:52 PM
I love it here:D

Sooooo warm and cuddly:)

Hey, I've got no problem with you, whatsoever.

But when you throw a firebomb into a room, it's gonna get warm.

smsarber
07-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Dude, I don't have a problem with you either. I can have a heated discussion without there being a problem later. Life's far too short for grudges.

willietheshakes
07-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Dude, I don't have a problem with you either. I can have a heated discussion without there being a problem later. Life's far too short for grudges.

:Hug2:

smsarber
07-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Cool!

mario_c
07-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Um, anyway...saw the trailer twice on the big screen and I'm not delighted by it. I watched one episode of the original show on Netflix, may watch more but really, it's for kids.
Frankly I think it's gonna exceed expectations, but Shyamalan is in deep trouble career wise. And I (got the asbesto shields back up again?) liked Lady In The Water, and didn't passionately hate The Happening. Like Kevin Smith, he has milked one classic for every last drop of rep it can give him, and has kept afloat by co-financing his own work, but he needs to come back with something real and inspired if he wants a job in two years.

smsarber
07-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Sokka: Perfume? Maybe we could dump some on Appa. Because he stinks so much. Am I right?

Toothpaste
07-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Saw the film. Many opinions, the biggest being the writing failed it most. However, the actors gave a valiant attempt, I will say, especially Shaun Toub who is one of those actors who is far too good to be "that guy, you know, he was in that other movie, he was awesome in that one too" - seriously every thing I see him in I make a note of him and then have to look him up to learn his name only to discover he's that guy I think is awesome and always have to look up.

The absolute highlight however is seeing Aasif Mandvi (The Daily Show's Senior Middle Eastern (or Asian depending) corespondent) play the villain. Now that was a serious shocker.

smsarber
07-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Sokka: Yeah, because we always leave before we get into trouble.

smsarber
07-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Regdog...er... Azula: ...My own mother thought I was a monster. She was right, of course, but it still hurt.

Wavy_Blue
07-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Um, anyway...saw the trailer twice on the big screen and I'm not delighted by it. I watched one episode of the original show on Netflix, may watch more but really, it's for kids.

It's not a kid's show. It's an everyone show. Like how Toy Story 3 is an everyone movie.

This movie will probably make a good chunk of money with families over the weekend, but I doubt it will get a sequel with how dismal the reviews and reception are. If they do, they had better get a new director who won't mess it up. (I nominate Raiders-era Spielberg!)

Toothpaste--you hit it right on. With the awful script the actors had to work with, I thought they made a great effort. The "villains" had more personality than anyone else. Shaun Toub and Dev Patel actually seemed like real people, something that the three main actors were not able to accomplish.

dgiharris
07-03-2010, 03:07 AM
How can you spend $130M+ making a movie and have a horrid script? That is just so so sinful...

I really wanted to see this movie, but the reviews are overwhelmingly bad. And i'm not just talking about critics. I'm talking about Rotten Tomatoes, Yahoo users, and IMDB.

The people have spoken and 80% of everyone thinks the movie is a D or an F.

Which is a shame really. I loved the trailer. Then again, the trailer only showed the special effects and i've noticed that when trailers do that, the movie usually isn't all that good.

Toothpaste
07-03-2010, 05:11 AM
How can you spend $130M+ making a movie and have a horrid script? That is just so so sinful...

It is my opinion that writing is often the last consideration when it comes to movie making. There's a fabulous parody out on the net about a production company putting together a movie about pinkberry (http://www.hardcorenerdity.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2239098%3ABlogPost%3A105725 ) and one of the lines is, "Movie's already made, nothing has to be done, we just need somebody to write it." Even though that's a joke, it's still pretty darn accurate.

Think about AVATAR - which critics all agreed was good DESPITE its script (and I'm not talking about the story - I'm not entering into the "there's no new plots out there" debate - I'm talking the actual writing of what people said). Look at the TRANSFORMERS movies, tons of money spent there, horrible scripts. Those films totally still did amazing at the box office. So many scripts for major movies are written by committee, heck even Casa Blanca was written that way (it just happened to work out).

What's odd is that when a movie has an excellent script, people stand up and notice. Look at Pixar, almost all of its movies are huge successes not just because of the animation but the quality writing. So you'd think people would want better written films. But when movies earn a ridiculous box office on the back of a terrible script, why should the production houses care?

The big difference, though, with this film, is that it was written by the director which can be a very dangerous prospect as then you have no outside eye able to go, "Uh, dude? All you have here is exposition, we need a bit of, you know, character building?"

Again, I'll say, it's such a pity, because I'm not like most of the reviewers out there, I think there are some good ideas in this movie, the world building is different and interesting, there are some stunning visuals and decent performances. I see good potential there, and I almost hope they do make a sequel so that maybe there's a second chance to make a good thing out of this. But the writing utterly failed this film so completely, and it makes me very very sad.

Wavy_Blue
07-03-2010, 05:28 AM
Again, I'll say, it's such a pity, because I'm not like most of the reviewers out there, I think there are some good ideas in this movie, the world building is different and interesting, there are some stunning visuals and decent performances. I see good potential there, and I almost hope they do make a sequel so that maybe there's a second chance to make a good thing out of this. But the writing utterly failed this film so completely, and it makes me very very sad.

Agreed. Apparently, the film was pared down a lot, so I can't help but wonder if there was any character development that got cut out. There were some scenes in TV spots with Sokka saying sarcastic things, as he would, but they were cut. But even then the script would have suffered from too much exposition. I think a lot of the problem lied in trying to cram story from 20 episodes into one 1 hr 45 min movie.

Toothpaste, if you liked the world, you should give the series a shot. It's wonderful and has really strong characters.

smsarber
07-03-2010, 06:20 AM
I've had some time to rethink earlier staements, and read more of what has been said here. I'll still see the movie becasue I have an 8 year-old dying to see it and we promised. I don't think I'll have any expectations anymore. What a shame. Oh well, it's just an hour-and-a-half out of my life.

I apologize for offending anyone with earlier posts. Sometimes I have too much fun stirring up shit, and forget that there is a time to let it go and say I was in idiot.

PS: This still didn't quite sound right, but it's all I have at the moment.

Toothpaste
07-03-2010, 06:24 AM
I definitely plan on checking out the series, yes. But I don't think we should give this film too many excuses. Creating a film based on rich complex lore can be done, and done well (LOTR is an excellent example of condensing a dense material into a work that gave us both exposition and heart). This film could have kept every scene exactly in the same order, and simply changed the quality of the writing, the way people interacted with each other, while still getting across the same information. It didn't have to be as didactic as it was. It could have been much cleverer, without adding time to the length.

Writing is difficult, and I think there are many film directors who see writing as a means to an end, as the thing you use when the visuals don't explain enough. That so long as the writing gets the plot and themes across it's cool. But of course we here all know it is so much more than that.

smsarber
07-03-2010, 07:01 AM
The series is SO worth checking out!

nighttimer
07-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Well, I'm impressed.

Not by the movie. I have no interest in seeing it. Neither does my son who loves the animated series. No, what I'm impressed by is how The Last Airbender is apparently so putrid that it's getting worse reviews than Killers, Marmaduke and Jonah Hex. It's presently pulling down a 8% at Rotten Tomatoes with 9 positive to 98 negative reviews.

The thing with those turkeys is nobody knows or cares who misdirected those other flops. They can slink back to doing music videos, dead teenager on a stick flicks or some other kind of hackwork. But M. Night Shamalang-a-ding-dong was a major leaguer. An A-lister. However, with this one swirling down the toliet, following the twin misfires of Lady in the Water and The Happening, M. Night's next directing job might be working with that talented actor, David Caruso on an episode of CSI: Miami.

Oh well, since most of the critics hate hate hate The Last Airbender that means Armond White will probably love love love it.

smsarber
07-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Nah, David Caruso'd just kick his ass.

smsarber
07-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Biggest peeve: Just saw the special on the movie with M. Night, and I didn't catch it before, but he kept the Kyoshi Warriors out of the movie. They filmed many sequences with them, but he felt they would take over the movie if he kept them in.

So, who wants to write a screenplay for a new Airbender movie with me and get it right?

Sheesh, see why I don't watch reviews and read them? Then I get all depressed...

Darzian
07-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Movies was horrendous. SPOILERS below.

1) The characters don't have the same personalities as the ones in the anime.

2) Several scenes were just awkward. When he said "I need to speak to the dragon spirit!," people were actually laughing.

3) The level of condensation (unavoidable) voided character development.

4) They say his name wrong!!!!! It's Aaang, not "Aong"

5) I thought the bending was done better in the anime.

6) His stance at the closing scene was weird. I'd say the closing wasn't done very well.

I think the movie itself was a bad idea. I really don't think one entire season of episodes can be condensed into a 2 hour movie and still retain the essence of the anime. What disappointed me most was the personalities of the characters were so different (Aang wasn't cheerful ANYWHERE in the movie).

regdog
07-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Do you think the problem was the director and story in general

smsarber
07-03-2010, 11:22 PM
The Great and Powerful Mr. Night (coff-coff, hack-gag) decided to make it the "Asian" pronunciation of Aang because he's Asian himself. That irritated me in the interview. I'll do a movie about the Stones and call him "Mike" Jagger because my middle name's Michael.

The movie, IMO, wasn't a bad idea, but instead of loosly basing it off the cartoon they should have gotten DiMartino and crew to write it. No original writer, no movie. That's my two-and-a-half cents.

Sheryl Nantus
07-03-2010, 11:46 PM
The Great and Powerful Mr. Night (coff-coff, hack-gag) decided to make it the "Asian" pronunciation of Aang because he's Asian himself. That irritated me in the interview. I'll do a movie about the Stones and call him "Mike" Jagger because my middle name's Michael.

The movie, IMO, wasn't a bad idea, but instead of loosly basing it off the cartoon they should have gotten DiMartino and crew to write it. No original writer, no movie. That's my two-and-a-half cents.

Hubby saw the interview last night and told me such today - what crap.

I'm astonished that Shamblahblahblah had the GALL to take a successful television series and turn it into a bad movie. He was handed a guaranteed money-maker and blew it. Badly.

We're going to see it tomorrow because we want to - but I'm hoping that this kills his career. Dead like Raid.

I mean, really - he changes the way the NAME is pronounced, but doesn't have the energy to cast ethnic actors? Really?

bah.

smsarber
07-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Aang was found from a video off the internet. He did do some wild martial arts moves, though.

regdog
07-04-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm holding out hope this won't kill the movie trilogy and Nick will give the rest of the books a chance with a director who knows the story

smsarber
07-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Cheers to that thought.

Darzian
07-04-2010, 02:43 AM
Do you think the problem was the director and story in general

Not the story. The anime wasn't properly converted to the movie and I'm not sure whose task that is- but that person failed miserably.

MDSchafer
07-04-2010, 07:02 AM
I saw it tonight, it felt like a fan fiction script, also slightly racist.

Wavy_Blue
07-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm holding out hope this won't kill the movie trilogy and Nick will give the rest of the books a chance with a director who knows the story

That's the thing, though. M Night is a HUGE fan of the show. That's why he wanted to make the film in the first place. The whole thing was literally his doing. But he should not have written AND directed it.

I could live with it if he stayed on as director, but he needs a new writer asap.

K. Taylor
07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
It's making good money so far this weekend despite the reviews.

I'm holding out hope this won't kill the movie trilogy

smsarber
07-04-2010, 10:29 AM
That's the thing, though. M Night is a HUGE fan of the show. That's why he wanted to make the film in the first place. The whole thing was literally his doing. But he should not have written AND directed it.

I could live with it if he stayed on as director, but he needs a new writer asap.
I'll say it again: We should write a screenplay (for Book Two:Earth) and send it to him. We know the show, we love the show... However, I have no idea how to write a screenplay...

At least we'd do it right:D

dgiharris
07-04-2010, 05:14 PM
It's making good money so far this weekend despite the reviews.

Not really.

They spent $150M on making the movie and another $130M on advertising.

Films make around 80% of their total revenue in the first month of their release.

In order for AtLAb to be on track it needs to be the #1 movie every week for pretty much the entire month.

The only way it does that is if it has a massive opening weekend, grows legs, and has repeat viewings

So compare it to Twilight's Eclipse. They both released roughly on the same date June 30 and July 1st.

Eclipse is up to $121M in the US.
AtLAB is up to $32M.

I'd say after this opening weekend AtLAb will be at around $40M. With its toxic word of mouth, the next weekend it will be lucky to clear $60M and then it will go the way of Land of the Lost where virtually no one goes to see it.

You can also look at the opening weekend of Iron Man 2

Opening weekend, IM2 made $128M

So basically, AtLAb is screwed and destined to be on the All Time Loser's list.

If you count advertisement costs, AtLAb is poised to lose around $200M which is no small chunk of change.

Mel...

dgiharris
07-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Not the story. The anime wasn't properly converted to the movie and I'm not sure whose task that is- but that person failed miserably.

I think this is the key.

I've always thought of Screenwriting as a special subset of writing.

Converting mediums: Books to movies, video games to movies, TV series to movies, comic books to movies, etc is one of the hardest things to do successfully.

Just because M. Night is a writer doesn't necessarily mean he can convert a TV series into a successful movie script.

IMO that requires a team of writers as well as input from focus groups. And based on the whole name pronouciation debacle, it would be my guess that M. Night was not that keen on taking input.

Mel...

Darzian
07-04-2010, 05:40 PM
^ Ah, so it's the screenwriter that does that part? Badly done. I think the lapse of character development can be forgiven because it would be extremely difficult to develop the characters to the same extent as the anime (2 hours versus 25 episodes) but the change in personalities is, IMO, unforgivable. This movie has made me realize just how important characters really are to any fiction setting.

What I liked most is the more complex arrow. That was nice. :D

Jcomp
07-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Not really.

They spent $150M on making the movie and another $130M on advertising.

Films make around 80% of their total revenue in the first month of their release.

In order for AtLAb to be on track it needs to be the #1 movie every week for pretty much the entire month.

The only way it does that is if it has a massive opening weekend, grows legs, and has repeat viewings

So compare it to Twilight's Eclipse. They both released roughly on the same date June 30 and July 1st.

Eclipse is up to $121M in the US.
AtLAB is up to $32M.

I'd say after this opening weekend AtLAb will be at around $40M. With its toxic word of mouth, the next weekend it will be lucky to clear $60M and then it will go the way of Land of the Lost where virtually no one goes to see it.

You can also look at the opening weekend of Iron Man 2

Opening weekend, IM2 made $128M

So basically, AtLAb is screwed and destined to be on the All Time Loser's list.

If you count advertisement costs, AtLAb is poised to lose around $200M which is no small chunk of change.

Mel...

The foreign intake might help boost it, but it'll be interesting to see if that can salvage it. It's not going to make back its budget domestically, but internationally "epic" flicks often do surprisingly well. Prince of Persia bombed in the states but did over $200 million overseas. Even so, that only takes you a bit closer to being able to hopefully turn a profit down the road with DVD / Blu-ray sales and rentals and television rights, as opposed to resulting in immediate profitability.

Toothpaste
07-04-2010, 07:11 PM
IMO that requires a team of writers as well as input from focus groups. .

Wow I so disagree. The more people you ask for opinions, the more muddied a script gets. Look at something like Jonah Hex. The scripts that are often written by committee and trying to please everyone wind up pleasing no one. In fact one of the biggest signs that you're likely to get a flop (which is why I don't get why Hollywood can't figure this out) is when you see a massive list of writers working on the screenplay.

The problem with adaptation is that you need someone who really understands the source material and is, hey here's an idea, a good writer. And that's the crux. Blame Shyamalan for many different things, the fact is, he simply isn't that great a writer - and certainly has no idea how to use humour to defuse and even augment a scene.

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boynes all worked on LOTR, true. But that was hardly a committee script. That was a group of writers who always worked together and knew how to work together. Jackson didn't have any focus groups telling him "You know, if you don't include Bombadil people will get mad. . .". They created the script they wanted to create and took great license with the books, but they still made it work.

Personally I find focus groups the absolute worst choice in creating any art. Especially focus groups of rabid fans who don't understand that things need to change from source material to film. Yes a writer needs an outside eye, but they need an expert in writing, not some random group of people who just really like the source material and will invariably announce that it's impossible to make a movie of it and if you cut out their favourite character then the movie will totally suck.

dgiharris
07-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Wow I so disagree. The more people you ask for opinions, the more muddied a script gets. Look at something like Jonah Hex. The scripts that are often written by committee and trying to please everyone wind up pleasing no one. In fact one of the biggest signs that you're likely to get a flop (which is why I don't get why Hollywood can't figure this out) is when you see a massive list of writers working on the screenplay.

The problem with adaptation is that you need someone who really understands the source material and is, hey here's an idea, a good writer. And that's the crux. Blame Shyamalan for many different things, the fact is, he simply isn't that great a writer - and certainly has no idea how to use humour to defuse and even augment a scene.

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boynes all worked on LOTR, true. But that was hardly a committee script. That was a group of writers who always worked together and knew how to work together. Jackson didn't have any focus groups telling him "You know, if you don't include Bombadil people will get mad. . .". They created the script they wanted to create and took great license with the books, but they still made it work.

Personally I find focus groups the absolute worst choice in creating any art. Especially focus groups of rabid fans who don't understand that things need to change from source material to film. Yes a writer needs an outside eye, but they need an expert in writing, not some random group of people who just really like the source material and will invariably announce that it's impossible to make a movie of it and if you cut out their favourite character then the movie will totally suck.

Bah,

ok, you're right. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of Pixar. Basically as you describe, a team of writers used to working with each other.

That is what I meant.

I do agree, too many chefs can spoil the broth. I guess it just seems criminal to me to spend this amount of money on a movie and to have a bad script.

IMO there is just no excuse for a bad script nowadays.

Personally, I feel that we get these shit scripts whenever Hollywood loses respect for the viewing public.

Take Pixar. For Toy Story 2, the first script wasn't that good. The powers that be at Disney said, "Well, its good enough, go with it."

Pixar stood up and said, "No, the script is dogshit and we are going to rewrite it, schedule be damned."

Seems there are too many in Hollywood that do the former and not the latter.

I guess it just seems so insane to me to spend $100M+ on a bad script.

It is an unforgiveable sin.

Mel...

regdog
07-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't know why the three guys who created the series didn't write the screenplay

Michael
07-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Wow. This is all so very disappointing. I liked Night's earlier films (Sixth Sense and Unbreakable), and thought his work was rather innovative. My son and I have been really looking forward to this movie, plan to see it tomorrow in fact. Sounds like Night really let us down, though.

I don't always agree with critics or even other movie watchers myself. Actually have no idea what critics said about Catwoman, but I've heard many people say that they hated that movie. I loved it. Seems to work that way a lot for me. But this time ... the consensus is just too overwhelming to ignore. And you're pointing out too many specifics that are jarring, like Aang never being playful. What? Shame on you, Night!

We're still going to see it, because I promised my son. But, man, I really feel defeated right now. I hope there's at least something redeeming about it.

nocturneequuis
07-05-2010, 12:57 AM
I might be repeating someone here but though I love the series, I refused to see the movie even before I knew how terrible it was. The thing that really gets me about it is the casting choices--or rather the white washing of the whole thing. Katara and Sokka, while their origins can be debated, they are most definitely brown skinned in the series, in the movie, white. I wouldn't mind Aang being white so much if at least there was a balance of other ethnicity in there and not just as supporting cast. It's about time for other ethnicities to be able to star in a movie and still have a wide appeal. That's where the greatest ball was dropped, I think.

Toothpaste
07-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Oy. Okay, first of all, it is just a movie so don't feel "defeated" or anything.

Second, for the sake of some kind of balance (I think I'm truly stunned at the hatred that is being spewed towards this film, which, yes, is bad, but no worse than other bad films - for example I totally agree about the whitewashing issue being disgraceful, and yet no one seems to be as up in arms with the idea of the white man saving the stereotyped noble savage in AVATAR which in my mind is equally racist), I will try to list some positives to help a least get you through the experience:

Shaun Toub as Uncle Iroh is wonderful. He is by far the best thing about the film, as many of the critics have also noted.
Dev Patel as Zuko is sincerely believable.
Even Aasif Mandvi as the bad guy (sorry, I don't know the series that well, can't remember all the names) is clearly having a good time, and has his moments.

I don't mind Noah Ringer, and in the flashbacks (which have no dialogue) he does actually come across as playful and full of life. Just unfortunately not in the current timeline.

I'm one of the few people who really enjoyed the bending/tai chi sequences, I thought they were beautiful and was impressed by the skills of the kids.

Some of the action sequences are unique, and some of the visuals stunning.

So there you go. It's not a great film, not even a good film. Okay, one could even call it bad. It is, as I've said before, utterly let down by its script, but I am totally flummoxed by those who think there is not a thing redeemable about it. There are good moments, and my screening even had a few sincere chuckles at the very rare jokes hidden deep in the turgid writing.

All hope is not lost.

But even if you don't like it, don't despair. It is just a movie.

dgiharris
07-05-2010, 02:53 AM
I think the hatred is more or less justified because it was a franchise film.

And that is the risk of doing a franchise film. THe pro is that you have an almost guaranteed fanbase. The con is that fanbase comes with expectations and are easily pissed off if you are not 'true' to the spirit of the franchise. Another con is that sometimes creating a plot with the constraints of the movie world (i.e. a complete story, conflict resolution that caters to the enormity of the franchise wolrd yet is resolved in 2 hours or less) can be difficult

Had this been a 100% original film, I bet you the response would be a little more positive or at least more nuetral and not so much hatred.

A good example would be LotR and Harry Potter films. They were able to stay true to the spirit of their respective franchise as well as come up with plots that work within movie constraints.

A bad example would be AtLAb.

The other stuff like the whitewashing of the characters would have been forgiveable if the film had been good.

That is the rule of life, if you make something good, then you are pretty much forgiven any transgression. But if you don't, then all transgressions are fair game.

Mel...

Toothpaste
07-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Well that's a reason I suppose, but hardly a good excuse in my opinion.

But whatever. It's not like I'm a fan of this film, but I will say when I came away from it I expected to see 2 star reviews and the like considering there were some decent moments, not the vitriol that is being spewed.

Quite frankly, while your reason is a sound one, I'm leaning more towards the theory that the fervour has more to do with a general attitude people have towards M. Night as a director. Considering most of the reviews I've read begin with an evisceration of his film career, as opposed to, you know, discussing the work in question, I'm thinking my theory might be right. And that's why I'm getting a little frustrated. It isn't just that fans were let down, it's that the critics are taking the time to attack the man himself. As if he is evil incarnate or something. It's ugly and I don't like it.

Toothpaste
07-05-2010, 03:29 AM
Also, I just want to point out I'm one of the few people in this thread who've actually seen this film. I know everyone is convinced since the film is universally hated they will hate it too, but I'd ask people to maybe use their own judgment. After all AVATAR was almost universally loved and I rather loathed it. It is possible that you won't follow the crowd :) .

Michael
07-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I can see that. There's a good chance I'll still like it too, since I often do like what others don't.

Oh, I did say "shame on you," didn't I? Oh, well ... a but hasty there. I should see the movie before saying something like that.

On the other hand, do you really think Avatar is "white man saving stereotyped noble savage?" My interpretation is exactly the opposite: "noble savage saves some ignorant, imperialistic white men from themselves."

Jcomp
07-05-2010, 06:37 PM
40 mill over the weekend, probably just shy of 60 mill over the five-day span in which it's been out. That's with the boost of 3-D ticket prices. This does not bode well.

Jcomp
07-05-2010, 06:41 PM
and yet no one seems to be as up in arms with the idea of the white man saving the stereotyped noble savage in AVATAR which in my mind is equally racist

Type "Avatar racist" in google and watch the results flood in. It got a great share of people "up in arms" over the issue, even though its "noble savage" aspects involved a fantastic setting which made it a little less close to home, whereas the "whitewashing" in the Avatar casting involves actual actors potentially being passed over for questionable casting choices.

Toothpaste
07-05-2010, 07:11 PM
On the other hand, do you really think Avatar is "white man saving stereotyped noble savage?" My interpretation is exactly the opposite: "noble savage saves some ignorant, imperialistic white men from themselves."

Absolutely. There is no question that is what it is. First off the noble savage trope alone is racist, none of the Na'vi are anything other than wonderful with child like naivte, even that one jealous Na'vi eventually realises he was wrong to feel that way. And up until Jake joins their ranks the Na'vi have been passive, almost trusting of the white men. It's Jake who gets them to fight back. Not only that but there hasn't been a Na'vi in generations able to unite all the tribes and tame the mighty dragon, and guess who winds up able to do both? The white guy.

Just because the Na'vi are blue and not Native Americans does not mean that stereotype isn't incredibly prominent.

And Jcomp - I do know people discussed the racism in AVATAR, but it was mostly dismissed because people loved the film so much (I still have no idea why, in my mind it's hardly any better than The Last Airbender - especially comparing the writing). It's just a bit hypocritical in my mind. If people love a film they can overlook the racism, if they hate it, then it is deeply offensive.

maestrowork
07-05-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't mind the "racism" in Avatar because it's a allegory of what happened in the past, right here in America. White guys with big guns. Check. Racial "savages." Check. White guy saving the savages... Check. Etc. Etc. It's Pocahontas set in space. Cameron was using an old story in a new setting to make a point. Had he made them the same race, or reversed the races, it wouldn't have worked.

How come no one was up in arms about Disney's Pocahontas? Beats me.

It's very different than casting white people in roles which was written for minorities. It's doubly offensive when the director is a minority himself. It's as if Wayne Wang cast a bunch of white women in the Joy Luck Club. You can debate if The Joy Luck Club is racist (especially with the white males in the film being mostly jerks), but at least they did the casting right.

If we want to discuss Avatar being racist, fine. But to use it as an excuse to say, "so what's the big deal with Airbender" goes along the line of "two wrongs don't make a right." If you're so pissed off by Avatar, then you should be even more pissed off by Airbender.

AceTachyon
07-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Saw it.

AdaptationFail.

Everything that made the animated series come alive was sucked out in this movie.

Visually stunning does not a movie make. Lucas knew this in the early Star Wars. I got the feeling Night was more interested in the visuals rather than the people in the story. What we got was cool effects and fights but crappy writing and bland performances.

I'm gonna stick with the 3 seasons on DVD.

Toothpaste
07-05-2010, 08:35 PM
If we want to discuss Avatar being racist, fine. But to use it as an excuse to say, "so what's the big deal with Airbender" goes along the line of "two wrongs don't make a right." If you're so pissed off by Avatar, then you should be even more pissed off by Airbender.

Uh dude? I've been indignant about both. And I didn't use it as an excuse with "what's the big deal with Airbender", I used it as the opposite of "so why isn't it a big deal in AVATAR". And just because you think the racism is stronger with what happened in Airbender doesn't mean I have to agree. To me the invisibility of the noble savage stereotype and the ease with which people accept it bothers me far more than the obvious racism of casting whites in asian roles. To me hidden accepted racism is far more scary and worrisome than when it is overt. But I digress. My point is, I believe both are racist, though not on purpose. I have discussed my feelings about the racism in AVATAR, I won't go into it again (though let's just agree to disagree), and I have blogged (http://www.hardcorenerdity.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2239098%3ABlogPost%3A93902) a fair bit about the whitewashing of The Last Airbender (here (http://www.hardcorenerdity.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2239098:BlogPost:100692&page=1#comment-2239098:Comment:100698) if you scroll down to the comment section you will find a very long blog length comment where I discuss my concern with whitewashing). In fact out of the two, the latter I have a far more personal connection to as I have more friends who are Asian than I do Native American, and many of these friends are actors desperately trying to find work - so a project like this when finally there should be work for them and then it is given away to white people, really annoying. Further the fact that all the extras are asian in the film just makes the obvious whitewashing even more . . . obvious.

I just think that if The Last Airbender had been a good movie, the whole racism thing would have slowly faded to the background. But because it was bad it's another nail in the coffin. And to me that's a little hypocritical. But, then again, I'm the one who didn't like AVATAR in the first place, couldn't understand why TRANSFORMERS 2 did so well, and am thoroughly disgusted by the career evisceration going on in every single review of M. Night. Also, there were moments I *gasp* actually enjoyed in The Last Airbender despite it's general suckiness. I'm definitely on the other side of public opinion. I expect people to disagree with me.

Jcomp
07-05-2010, 10:52 PM
And Jcomp - I do know people discussed the racism in AVATAR, but it was mostly dismissed because people loved the film so much (I still have no idea why, in my mind it's hardly any better than The Last Airbender - especially comparing the writing). It's just a bit hypocritical in my mind. If people love a film they can overlook the racism, if they hate it, then it is deeply offensive.

Well, I wouldn't say it was mostly dismissed so much as overwhelmed by the film's record-breaking popularity. Mind you, I only saw the flick once and thought it was solid, but by no means very good or great, so I have no interest in defending the film, but that appears to have been the experience. The racism thing kept coming up, but most of the attention went to the fact that it put up gargantuan numbers. Just like I think Airbender's casting issue has been mostly overwhelmed by the film's negative feedback from critics and many moviegoers. I hardly see the "whitewashing" thing brought up as often as it initially was on film discussion sites because the alleged badness of the film itself seems to have taken center stage.

As for Shyamalan's career evisceration... I tend to think of that as something he might have brought on himself. I don't read every single (or even very many) critics reviews, so I can't attest to having seen much of it. But for a guy to go from being hailed as a genius-in-the-making to releasing a string of critically reviled flicks over the course of about two flicks (everything started to turn with The Village and the pre-released mockumentary about his vaguely mysterious and supernatural upbringing, then just got infinitely worse when he took shots at critics with Lady in the Water while casting himself as a messianic writer) would seem to indicate that Shyamalan's shares some blame for why he gets such harsh treatment. It doesn't help that his last four movies have apparently sucked. Haven't seen Airbender, but nothing about the trailers or commercials has given me any faith that I need to shell out dough for it, and even its "defenders" are mustering an argument that merely amounts to "well it's not quite that bad."

So yeah... if you crack a window and give people a glimpse into your righteous egomania, then turn around and repeatedly deliver awful product, you might have to expect people to take potshots at you. I'm more amazed that Shyamalan's even still being given the reins to big budget and beloved properties.

Michael
07-06-2010, 05:25 AM
Hmm. This is a big issue. I mean, I could argue that the human had to live with the Na'vi, learn from them, in order to see the error of his ways. That was my interpretation, anyway. But then, you make a very strong point about the him being able to unite the tribes and tame the dragon.

Still, considering how BAD most of the other humans were, would they have listened to him if he hadn't? As far as the plot went, it seems to me that they needed some reason to believe this one particular human wasn't like the others. There could have been another way to do that, however. Such as a prominent Na'vi all the others really trust unites the tribes and tames the beast, but he (or she) also happens to have high regard for the human for reasons specified early in the story.

Anyhoo, back to the subject at hand. I just saw The Last Airbender and I don't think it's quite as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Sure, it's missing a lot of the charm the series has, which might have everything to do with the lack of character development and bad acting. It could have been a LOT better. But it had some moments that worked for me.

The casting choices seems a big problem, though. I had no idea some actors were passed over for less appropriate choices, and that's disturbing.

smsarber
07-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Sokka: What happened to the seal jerky?

Aang: Oh, that was food? I used it to start the fire last night.

*Quote is probably a little off, as am I tonight.

Wavy_Blue
07-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Relax, Sokka, where we're going you won't need any pants!

regdog
07-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Get out of the bison's mouth Sokka.

The Last Airbender might not be winning in the review column but it made $70 million

smsarber
07-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Katara: He's got pentapox.

Michael
07-06-2010, 04:14 PM
"Katara!" says Sokka.

"Oh ... sorry...."

dirtsider
07-06-2010, 06:10 PM
I saw this over the weekend and I wasn't too impressed. I generally don't listen to critics since I tend to like movies that get negative reviews. But this... I had a few issues with this movie. The story moved too fast and cut out far too much. This is one of the rare cases that I think the movie could've used a longer running time. Then again, trying to condense 10 hours of really dense material into a 90 minute film is hard. It went from "ok, let's start a rebellion" conversation to Aang going to the Air Temple and getting captured without much in between besides a short scene on Katara and Aang practicing waterbending. Personally, I think having a quick montage of them going to different towns and stirring up the rebellion would've helped.

The special effects weren't that great, imo. It felt like they were trying to do most of it using physical effects rather than CGI. And it also felt like most of the extras were just miming the different martial arts. The actors playing Katara and Aang were good but the extras were off. It's like the roll-call for the extras didn't include the requirement of having any martial arts skills.

So, yeah, I was disappointed.

On the other hand, I thought Mr. Toub did a wonderful job as General Iroh. Definitely caught the spirit of the character and how he was such a father figure to Zuko.

Jcomp
07-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Get out of the bison's mouth Sokka.

The Last Airbender might not be winning in the review column but it made $70 million

$70 million over five days. For a $150 million dollar budget, that isn't great, particularly for a movie with less-than-stellar word of mouth. It's not a disaster, and I'm still interested in seeing how it fares overseas, but if it nosedives in the coming weeks the front-loaded opening isn't going to matter much.

regdog
07-06-2010, 09:23 PM
FireNation Solider: I think I've heard of pentapox. Didn't your uncle die of that

Cyia
07-06-2010, 10:35 PM
As for Shyamalan's career evisceration... I tend to think of that as something he might have brought on himself.

I wish the man would learn how to transition scenes. Every movie he's made, it's just "jump...jump...jump" without anything to connect them.

Michael
07-06-2010, 10:39 PM
On the other hand, I thought Mr. Toub did a wonderful job as General Iroh. Definitely caught the spirit of the character and how he was such a father figure to Zuko.

Most of us seem to be unanimous on this point. He was quite good in the role.

dirtsider
07-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Toph: Hey, everyone else went on a life-altering adventure with Zuko. Now it's my turn.

S.J.
07-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Sokka: What happened to the seal jerky?

Aang: Oh, that was food? I used it to start the fire last night.

*Quote is probably a little off, as am I tonight.

"No wonder the flames smelled so good..."

Zuko: I DON'T NEED ANY CALMING TEA!

Michael
07-07-2010, 04:36 AM
Zuko: I DON'T NEED ANY CALMING TEA!

That's the one!

The Emissary
07-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Don't mean to run this off topic, but I just have to say....that this series has to be one of the greatest pieces of epic fantasy I've ever seen....imo. I used to gloss over Avatar when it first came out. I kind of had a bias against Nickelodeon back then, and I only watched it for Danny Phantom. Then my brother got into the show, then my girlfriend turned out to be a huge fan of the series, and eventually I had to see what, exactly, was so special about this TV series. And now I see...and automatically regret being so close minded when this show originally aired.

And I LOVE...LOVE...the interaction between Iroh and Zuko. Every time they're on screen I know I'm either going to laugh, or learn something about Zuko. Perhaps bot

nocturneequuis
07-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Well I saw it today and I have to say while I thought half the cast was wooden as thick planking and the dialogue was stilted and wayy to expositiony I really loved Uncle Iroh. He was the strongest member in the cast and played against Zuko it was really good. :) So I enjoyed that part. Though I can't say anything was a disappointment since I didn't go into it with high expectations to begin with.

And I absolutely agree with you, Emissary. I think it would have been even more awesome if the original creators had more sway but even as it is, it's pretty epic. :D

regdog
07-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Zuko: What are you doing here?

Azula: Isn't it obvious? I'm about to celebrate becoming an only child.

S.J.
07-12-2010, 02:21 AM
"Hey everybody! LET'S RIOT!"

bethany
07-12-2010, 03:29 AM
My son's best friend had been planning an Last Airbender themed birthday party for months, so we were pretty worried when the movie started getting such horrible reviews.

We are halfway through the series right now, and while we didn't think it was as good as the series, it was watchable.

CharmedMethod
07-12-2010, 06:10 AM
All right, so on the 5th me and my ex-boyfriend (he broke up with me sadly, ending our third relationship that day, and after the movie) went to go see it, and before the trailer even came out, I had a bad feeling many things were gonna be wrong with the movie. My ex and I being fans of the cartoon, we saw it in 3-D, and man, except for the trailer to The Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole, the rest was pretty much a waste. Characters say the word "Ugh" or "Oog" instead of pronouncing Aang correctly, very few benders used their own abilities to create elements, most of them used the elements of their surroundings to fight. Also, they tried making Zuko look like the bad guy when he really isn't, and I still felt empathy for him. I swear, if anyone is a hardcore Avatar: The Last Airbender fanatic like me, don't waste your money and time at the movies. Wait til it comes out on DVD at least, then it'll be cheaper to rent from Netflix or whatever without spending money and time which you could have had for something else better.

regdog
07-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Sokka: I do believe in the power of stuff

Camilla Delvalle
07-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Yesterday I finished watching the first season of the series. It's very cute and fun and has a lot of good dialogue.

I like that the characters are intelligent and change their opinions about things. Like Sokka was misogynist in the beginning but changed his mind. This is refreshing compared to e.g. Xena where Joxer is a slap-stick idiot most of the time, or Merlin, where the characters don't change at all from one end of the first season to the next.

It's also nice that Aang makes mistakes sometimes, and even does immoral things once in a while, despite being the avatar.

I have begun watching the second season and it's probable that I will see all of the series.

smsarber
07-20-2010, 04:14 AM
Katara: I even do all the laundry. Have you ever smelt your dirty socks? Let me tell you... NOT PLEASANT!

Camilla Delvalle
07-20-2010, 05:10 AM
Yes, I love all the fun things they say. I wish I could write such fun stories.

bethany
07-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Anyone know if they have or are planning to release a box set of the entire series? I'm going to be buying them, and I like to have one nice neat box.

I also saw the movie a second time (I didn't pay the first time due to it being a birthday party) with my seven year old, and while seeing more and more things wrong with it, I still enjoyed it. ETA though there were aspects that were increasingly annoying.

dirtsider
07-21-2010, 05:40 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/nickelodeon-sets-last-airbender-sequel-2011-ap

Looks like Nickelodeon's gearing up to do a sequel. This time the Avatar's a female and it looks like she's from the Water Tribes, from the picture in this article. Wonder if she's going to be from Sokka's and Katara's tribe, given Aang's interest in Katara.

S.J.
07-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Looks like Nickelodeon's gearing up to do a sequel.

That. Looks. BADASS. :)

Katara: "'Both'?? ... I'M COMPLETELY CALM!"

rebelcheese
07-22-2010, 12:30 AM
This series is going to have a lot of pressure on it from the getgo, not just because it is a sequel to a highly successful series but the character Korra has to prove that a girl can lead an action series, something that rarely happens in the Western world (and not that often in the Eastern world either, not without her looks being exploited anyway). If this series struggles there's no way anybody will try an action series with a female lead for some time.

dirtsider
07-22-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm willing to take a chance on it. The creators did a good job with creating a fantastically rich world to begin with. Personally I think they pulled off some very strong female characters with Katara and Toph (as well as Suki, Mai, and Ty Lee).

Wavy_Blue
07-22-2010, 02:54 AM
To the new series, all I have to say is this:

http://piandao.org/screencaps/ep4/ep4-264.png

Camilla Delvalle
07-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Here's more info about Korra from the press-release:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nickelodeon-greenlights-new-series-from-the-creators-of-the-animated-television-hit-avatar-the-last-airbender-98925659.html

Korra is to learn airbending from Aangs son. Also there will be steampunk.

regdog
07-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Toph: You said to put a muzzle on him.

Aang: You muzzled Appa!

Camilla Delvalle
07-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Yesterday I saw episode 45 where the Fire Nation heroes go on vacation to a resort island. It was so good I was laughing and crying.

It seems many anime series have a beach episode. It's nice to see the heroes in a relaxed environment sometimes.

regdog
07-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Azula is at her bi**** best in that episode :D

S.J.
07-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Yesterday I saw episode 45 where the Fire Nation heroes go on vacation to a resort island. It was so good I was laughing and crying.

It seems many anime series have a beach episode. It's nice to see the heroes in a relaxed environment sometimes.

I didn't really like that episode - but Azula was SO HILARIOUS in it.

Also, this Korra thing looks better and better! It seems it won't be a repeat of the previous show: no race to learn all four elements etc. That was my main worry.

Wavy_Blue
07-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Yeah, it looks like it won't just be a rehash, which is what happens, unfortunately, in a lot of animated series. I like the idea that Korra already knows three of the elements.

Also, steampunk for the win.

I don't know how I feel about the name, Republic City, though. Feels very Star Wars-prequels to me. Also, since it's only 70 years after the original series, I hope we don't end up playing spot-the-original-series-character (also a crime of the Star Wars prequels). I'm fine with them being mentioned, but if they're in there, I want it to be for a good reason, not just an Easter egg for fans.