Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Both. :D In my mind, it's a false dichotomy.

But if I had to choose, I'd pick the bucks. I'm practical that way. And reaching as many readers as possible is important to me. Besides, I'm the type of person that will write to the best of my ability no matter what, and if my personal best means being critically dissed by the literati, so be it.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Like a well-respected actor would say: "I make the big bucks with big budget popcorn movies so I can go off and do the critically acclaimed indies and earn an Oscar."

That's my career aspiration.

:)

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Jack Nicholson?

I want neither of these options. I want to have a mid-lister's readhersip and make a mid-lister's money. And my reviews will be decent, but I won't win any prizes.

Aahh, the quiet warmth of the middle road...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Choice

I suppose I'd rather have both, but since I place far more stock in the opinion of the reading pubic than in any panel of judges, if I had to choose, I'd take the bestseller.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Money? Yeah. I'll take that.

I have no grand aspirations. Don't want to make a statement. :D

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take the money. Call me a hack, I'll still write to the best of my ability whether the literary fame comes my way or not.

You're a hack, Nakhla. Welcome to the club. :D

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take the money, please. If the public likes me, I don't give a rat's ass whether some small group of critics like me.

greg 1

Registered
Reaction score
money

I've always felt better being in the trenches. Walking around with my nose in the air, critics swooning over me telling me what a great author I am, does'nt pay the bills. Sure, it's good for the ego. So what.

Give me a yellow tablet,pencil, tobbacco for my pipe, a glass of bourbon, and let me write something that people want to read. Yeah. I'll take the money.

MathRules

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll take the money. I'd rather read Robert Howard or Robert Asprin or Dave Barry than Hemingway any day, and Faulkner just bites (personal preference; maybe I'm just not smart enough to get the work of the giants).

Give me something that sells from a practical standpoint; baby needs a new pair of shoes. Give me something the public enjoys from an ego standpoint; I respect education as much as anyone- I'm working on a PhD as we speak (dodging a paper I have to write as I speak), but I'd rather be doing something accessible to everyone rather than something so esoteric or vague that only the very elite of intellectuals realize that my mountain range is actually a juicy, ripe set of breasts.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I want people to read my work, I want to be popular with the book-buying public. I'd go for money over the prize because the money means more people are reading and enjoying my work.

I don't care enough about the prizes.

Ab_Normal

Registered
Reaction score
My daughter's starting private high school this year. Four years of that, followed by who knows how much college... give me the money. :D

Norma

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
Show me the money.

No, not really. Give me the money.

No, wait, that's not it either. Seriously, I want to still be read 100 years after I'm dead. Maybe 1000. Why not?

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
ROFL--I want the $$, too...that means I could quit my day job.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Show me the money-I get paid for writing-don't give a damn about art of any kind-literarty or otherwise!

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
I don't consider good literary fiction to be opaque. I've liked some NBA winners and detested others, but I don't rush out to read award-winning books of any kind, and I don't rank opacity as a literary virtue.

I can't read Faulkner, and I find Hemingway's novels boring and pompous, but both authors are poor examples in the hackwork vs. literary argument. For one thing, they sold very well (and continue to); for another, these guys were Nobelists, which puts them in a different category from the author who lands an NBA for reasons nobody can figure out.

Besides, though an NBA doesn't necessarily guarantee bestsellerdom, it generally helps sales a great deal; the prize money would be nice; and it sure would make a nice addition to any query letter I've written. Hell, I'll take the NBA and have it both ways.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take the money, thanks. I'm just here to entertain the masses...I have no grander aspirations. To hell with the critics. I'm a hack and have no problems with that.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
The money, because it would allow me to continue doing what I enjoy - writing. Admiration won't pay the mortgage.

Status
Not open for further replies.