Cloverfield

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
If you saw Transformers, you probably saw the trailer for JJ Abrams new movie - supposedly titled Cloverfield. The trailer didn't even have a title attached.

The whole thing is shot on video cameras from the perspective of New Yorkers living through a giant monster attack (ala Godzilla).

Looks like a fun angle on a what is usually a CGI wank-fest, or used to be just a guy in a rubber suit.

Plus, it's JJ Abrams.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I love the idea of this film. Whenever I watch those big disaster/action flicks, I wonder about the little people. The one whose hot dog cart is smashed beneath falling rubble. The secretary whose office building floor explodes when dueling robots fly through it. People who aren't the Marines/cops/heroes fighting to stop the aliens/asteroid/invaders.

Cool idea.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm kind of tired of the "Statue of Liberty" cliche though. Can we have a disaster in New York without a giant Liberty head flying toward me, please?

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh come on Maestro NY must be the most destroyed city in the world in the movies anyway!! So what else is there to destroy in NY???? Its like lets destroy NY! YEAH! COOL Man! Er destroy what? dunno? What is in NY? Er! Oh I know lets be original and destroy the staute of Liberty NO-ONE has EVER done that before!!

Kev

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Count me among those psyched for this one. Looks like a very different, fresh take on the "big disaster movie." Yeah, the Statue of Liberty gets it in all the apocalyptic movies, but I sort of like ticking off all the different things that Hollywood has done to it. Sunk it underwater, buried it on the Planet of the Apes --

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
In doing some research today, it looks like there's a viral marketing campaign underway,with similar elements to last year's Lost Experience. Since the trailer is only a week old, much is still to come out.

Theories abound that it could be anything from Godzilla to Voltron (both licensed to other companies). My favorite is that it is a Lovecraftian/Cthulhu movie.

Check out:
http://www.1-18-08.com/
(The date the movie is supposed to be released - two still photos from the party, one added just in the last few days - confirmed official by JJ Abrams)
http://www.slusho.jp/history.html
(A drink from one ep of alias, also found on a t-shirt in the trailer)
http://www.parasitemovie.com/
(Initially debunked as a fake - I'm not sure, has a countdown to August)
http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com/
(Denied by JJ Abrams - not that it wasn't a red herring, but it doesn't seem in the style. If real, suspected to be a game to win a chance as an extra - has the same data as The Parasite page)

Last edited:

Ab_Normal

Registered
Reaction score
Jerky cam gives me a head-ache. :( Hopefully the whole thing isn't that way...

Norma

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rainynightproductions.com

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
For those wondering about the "Cloverfield" it's NOT being directed by J.J.Abrahms..he's producing it. At this point I don't really care what it's titled...it is however interesting. I'll be camping out two weeks before the movie opens to be the first one :)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I think the answers to those questions remain to be seen, since Ray said he "will" write it. ;) Give the guy at least a week, eh?

Hm, I have to admit I'm a bit bummed it's personal camcorder-style, too. But I love JJ Abrams. Has anyone found the trailer online yet?

ETA: That Ethanwasright website is freaking me out. Could be a fake, but that's a pretty good fake, what with the video clip. Also, it's very reminiscent of some of the hidden LOST sites out there (which could suggest fake). The Parasite one has some similiarites to LOST sites, as well, specifically, the ??? link. And as for different styles -- that's just to play with your head some more. That slusho one's just nuts. :)

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I found one version through the Parasite web posted above. Hard to search for something without a title!

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Is the film's title going to be '1-18-08' or is that another working title?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Slusho.jp is connected Guy in the pic at 1-08-08.com is definitely wearing a slusho logo shirt.

Third picture added at 1-18-08. 9/11 esque shot of people wandering through smoke and debris.

Last edited: