Novel format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Writer1

Is there a correct font for submitting?

What is the page width and length?

What are the basic rules for formatting submissions to publishers?

Sorry if these questions seem silly, but since I'm used to writing screenplays, I know that format issues can make readers dump manuscripts based on the look instead of the content.

Thanks in advance.

Writing Again

If you haven't written you novel yet, and you are writing on a computer where it is easy to change format, then I suggest you wait until you are ready to submit.

Reason I say this is that, much like screenplays, the desired format does change over time. More slowly than screenplays, I think, but there is no point getting too picky about this years format if you are going to submit next year.

The same courier 12 you've been using will do fine.

Also it is a good idea to go to the publisher you wish to submit to for the latest update of what they want.

The things that have never changed since I started writing is wide margins all around, at least an inch, and double space. Indent each paragraph. The indent use to be five spaces, I was told it is four now. I'll double check when I'm ready to submit.

The latest writer's market provides up to date templates. Most libraries have one on hand.

Jamesaritchie

format

Format really doesn;t change at all. The best site I've found to look at proper format, along with an actual sample manuscript, is that of Robert J. Sawyer, and award winning writer and editor. www.sfwriter.com/mschklst.htm

Do as he says, and not a editor in the world will do anything but smile happily at the way you've formatted your novel.

Writing Again

Re: format

Well, I have to say that Sawyer hasn't changed since the days of the typewriter.

If that is acceptable then I won't have to learn any new tricks.

Jamesaritchie

Sawyer

In the ways that matter, print publishing hasn't changed since the day of the typewriter. Publishers still have to turn a paper manuscript into a paper novel, and the vast majority of novels are still edited by hand.

This means editors still need room between sentences to write, still need room between words and letters to insert proofreader marks, still need to be able to write in the margins, and still wraps flags around the pages.

Even when a print publisher takes electronic submissions, once a novel is bought it's nearly always printed out and the editing done in the old fashioned way because it's still the easiest and most efficient way.

As long as novel manuscripts are edited by hand, and it doesn't appear this will change anytime soon, format needs will remain just as they were in typewriter days.

The thing is, once a novel manuscript is printed out, you can't tell it from one that was written on a good typewriter. So it isn't the technology used to write the manuscript that matters, but the way in which the manuscript will be edited.

katdad

The format isn't as hard coded as the screenplay format. Generally, wide margins, 12pt. doublespace, as follows:

Use generous margins, 1" on all sides.

Use Courier New or Times New Roman font, 12 pt only, never smaller

Use ragged right (not full justify, left margin justify only)

Double space, and 3 or 4 lines between paragraphs.

Number all pages. I use a small footer that is 10pt with the page number and the title.

James D Macdonald

Is there a correct font for submitting?

Courier, 10 or 12, not justified.

What is the page width and length?

Double spaced, one inch margins all around (25 lines/page).

What are the basic rules for formatting submissions to publishers?

Running head with title/author/page number in the top right of each page.

Each chapter starts on its own page, half-way down the page.

Your name, address, phone, email on the first page, top left. Title and byline halfway down, centered.

Much more on this here:
<a href="http://www.sfwa.org/writing/format_betancourt.htm" target="_new">www.sfwa.org/writing/format_betancourt.htm</a>

mr mistook

Hold on... I never heard that you put extra space between paragraphs. Do I still indent the first line?

Jyndral

Double space, and 3 or 4 lines between paragraphs.

This is news to me. In fact, at a conference recently, an editor from NAL said do not put extra lines between paragraphs unless it's a scene/time break. And even then, to use those sparingly.

~Jen

maestrowork

No lines between paragraphs (every thing is double spaced), but do indent (five spaces).

Jamesaritchie

format

Never, ever put three or four lines between paragraps. Everything is simply double-spaced. There should NEVER be extra lines between paragraphs. Never.

SRHowen

Re: format

I'd be curious to know where the idea of multiple lines between paragraphs came from--Internet publishing maybe?

But never never never put extra lines between paragraphs.

Shawn

Jamesaritchie

lines

My guess is the notion of extra spaces between paragraphs comes from internet publishing where you single space between text and double-space between pagagraphs. But even there a writer should put three or four spaces between paragraphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.