What's the worst pain?

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
When I was in high school a Green Beret Vietnam Vet came to our history class and told us about his time as a POW. He said the worst part was when they would hook up a car battery to his genitals. That's pretty much been my standard of "the worst pain" ever since.

I had gall stones a few months ago and that was the worst pain of my life (but still better than the car battery, I'd wager). What was your worst physical pain?

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Toss up between:

kidney stones - and passing them
gall bladder attack severe enough to warrant surgery
having the broken wrist set w/o anaesthetic

I fainted on that last one, just screamed on the others

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Never had kidney stones. I've had two children, but that's definitely not the worst pain. In my opinion, the worst physical pain is being burned. That and paper cuts. :D

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
When I was in high school a Green Beret Vietnam Vet came to our history class and told us about his time as a POW. He said the worst part was when they would hook up a car battery to his genitals. That's pretty much been my standard of "the worst pain" ever since.

I had gall stones a few months ago and that was the worst pain of my life (but still better than the car battery, I'd wager). What was your worst physical pain?

My worst physical pain was heat stroke. I went to a church camp years ago, and on the first day I begged for something to eat for three hours. We did not stop and the youth pastor refused to let me have any food until we got to the camp.

I got sick. Very sick. I've never in my life been in so much pain as the vomiting and massive migraine headache I suffered that day. I was literally down for the count the rest of that day.

And the two Tylenol the camp nurse gave me did nothing for the pain. In fact, they made the suffering worse.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dare you highlight the TEXT O' DOOM DOOM DOOMY DOOM-DOOM-DOOM?!

The worst pain: getting my nipples pierced.
The second worst: getting tested for the clap.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Probably having a tooth drilled without novocaine. That was absolutely awful.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to have my nose cauterized one time because of nosebleeds . . . that hurt a tad. It was like having a hot poker stuck up my nose.

jhtatroe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennifertatroe.com
My worst physical pain was probably my episiotomy.

I think it's funny, in the hospital, when they ask you to rate your pain on a scale of 1-10, where 10 is "the worst pain you can imagine." I always wanted to say, "Well, about a 4, but I have a really great imagination and I've heard a Beefeater describe the process of drawing and quartering in great detail."

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
It's toss up - I had an arthrogram done on my knee when I was fifteen. For those who might not know, dye is injected into a joint and then X-rays are taken to see if there is any cartilage damage. The worst part was the novacaine used to numb my knee. I still get sweaty palms when I think about it, though I don't think they even do arthrograms anymore. It's all MRIs and CAT scans now (I think) and for good reason.

The other would have to be when my daughter was born - they underestimated her weight and her position and her head got caught on my pubic bone. It actually made me throw up and I usually have a pretty high tolerance for pain. The epidural? Did squat for that. No gettin' away from that pain.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That one gall bladder attack I had a couple years ago took the cake.

OOh, and those cluster headaches. Glad they only come around ever couple of years.

Man, I'm getting out of here. I'm reminding myself of all my afflictions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I get migraines. I've had maybe four or five in my life that have been so bad I've wished I was dead.

It was also pretty bad when I had an abscess on my hip and I stumbled and banged my hip on the kitchen door-frame. I went down like a sack of potatoes and I remember going blind for a few seconds with the pain. I couldn't even cry out; I whimpered and crawled through to the living room to recover but I couldn't move my leg properly for hours. (Well, if by 'properly' you mean 'able to walk'...I dragged my dead leg behind me for six weeks 'til the abscess subsided and walking consisted of hopping on my left leg and pulling my right along behind me).

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
It's toss up - I had an arthrogram done on my knee when I was fifteen. For those who might not know, dye is injected into a joint and then X-rays are taken to see if there is any cartilage damage. The worst part was the novacaine used to numb my knee. I still get sweaty palms when I think about it, though I don't think they even do arthrograms anymore. It's all MRIs and CAT scans now (I think) and for good reason.

The other would have to be when my daughter was born - they underestimated her weight and her position and her head got caught on my pubic bone. It actually made me throw up and I usually have a pretty high tolerance for pain. The epidural? Did squat for that. No gettin' away from that pain.

So that's what they call those scans. I had one done on my right hip when I was eleven or twelve years old. Although the procedure was less than fun for me, watching the monitor with the real-time images going on, was just plain cool.

:)

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
The worst pain is listening to my mother tell a story, any story. Just when you are sure there are no more possible non sequiturs that she can throw in, she finds another and another and another.... In the 42 years I've been here I don't think she's gotten to the point once.

Second worst pain?
Ripping all my teeth out at once.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Worst pain is when it's my pain.

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
Worst pain is when it's my pain.

Agreed. I can't stand the thought of you getting hurt.

Also, I hear giving birth while both of your femurs are broken is pretty bad.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to add that I'm not wanting to experience anything worse than I have with gout lest God read my response and want to broaden my horizons. I wasn't saying that was the worst pain for anyone or that anyone could experience only that was the worst I had experienced. Gotta disclaimer for everyone. :)

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I stay away from bad falls, sports, inciting folks who are bigger than me.

You can't stand the thought of me getting hurt?

Bless you.

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Being taken to hospital, and having a needle stuck in my big toe, to kill the pain of my toenail being bent in half backwards. I nearly passed out. I was 20 years old at that time. My toenail was then pulled back in place with what looked like a pair of pliars, by the doctor. After that, no pain at all.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I woke up with a cramp in my calf last night. Worst pain ever.