Status
Not open for further replies.

Afinerosesheis

The One and Only Romantiac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
What do we deserve as published authors? How long did it take us to write a story and produce a clean copy? Should we settle for less? Are we willing to do the research and face the rejection to better ourselves?

We deserve to get our books out there and noticed without doing it all ourselves.

We deserve to be respected AT ALL TIMES by our fellow authors.

We deserve the very best in editorial services. Not only grammar but also content.

We deserve to be treated with respect AT ALL TIMES by our publisher.

We deserve books that are priced competitively against the current market.

We deserve the right to voice our thoughts without fear of censure.

We deserve the right to ask questions if we need help...again without the fear of censure.

We deserve the right to feel proud of our work.

We deserve the right to adequate royalties and advances.

We deserve much more than to hold a book in our hands to share with a few friends and family.

We deserve to have the readership buying our books, not buying them ourselves.

We deserve to be welcomed into all writing communities.

These are our rights for being masters of the written word. Are we the best? No. Can we do better? Yes.

If we are willing to put ourselves out there then these are just a few of the things that we deserve. I believe them with my whole heart. I do not wish to settle for less again.

If you have any others, put them here.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
So, then, you've joined the NWU, or some other union, right? I mean, it's a good attitude to have, but toothless if it stops at a mere position paper.

(I'm already in the Communication Workers of America, fwiw.)

The problem with "deserving" any of this is that there's ravening hordes of wannabees who figure all they got to do is declare "I AM A WRITER" & this qualifies them to go toe-to-toe with established, producing professionals. Case in point: SFWA, where (IMNSHO alert!) I keep encountering lackwits who barely made the join-up requirements, have written nothing since, & apparently don't even read the genres, yet declaim loudly about the status of hopefuls & pros alike.

Afinerosesheis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Forgive me, but I don't know half of what you just said. I'm not a member of any union or such group. I am, however, a decent romance writer who is quite familiar with the genre. Does this make me feel as if I am someone special? Absolutely not.

I was just giving writers something to think about.

Thanks for stopping by. ;)

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
Forgive me, but I don't know half of what you just said.
It's in English, & doesn't use many big words.
Does this make me feel as if I am someone special? Absolutely not.
You just went off on a tirade, a call-to-action, about the rights of anyone who wants to even pretend to be a writer (conveniently avoiding mention of parallel responsibilities). Are you screwing around, or just doing what the little voices tell you?;)
I was just giving writers something to think about.
The polite term for that is "pot-stirring."
Thanks for stopping by.
Thank you for being the structural equivalent of a speed-bump.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No one ever deserves my respect, they have to earn it.

I believe that all people start out deserving of respect, but that they can lose it by misdeeds.

Admiration, now, that's a different story.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
Each to their own. I treat all people as equal, no more, no less... until they do something for me not to treat them as such. People have to earn my respect and admiration, it is not a given right.

I believe that all people start out deserving of respect, but that they can lose it by misdeeds.

Admiration, now, that's a different story.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect we're operating from different definitions of respect. ETA: To me, respect in this context means essentially treating people as equals, and recognising that they are entitled to basic considerations, such as personal dignity.

In that regard, to me, respect and admiration are not the same thing, but I'm not fussed about the terminology.

Last edited:

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
How about health care, either through a Writer's Union or somehow through the publisher as an employer?

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Rose, is there something that has led to this declaration? From where does it spring? Have you recently encountered a situation that has you chaffing or where you feel that you were disrespected?

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I deserve to have my work judged on its merits not mine.

That's as far as I'm willing to go. I spent some years working in a call center, and while I was there I usually found the words "I deserve" were followed by an explanation of why this person shouldn't pay for services they had received.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Deserve

I don't think any of us deserve a damned thing, other than the right to try.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Bartholomew, I like that. I figure it this way -- my personal sense of self worth requires that I treat everyone with a basic level of respect. The level may change based upon experiences. i.e., you are Mr. or Miss/Mrs./Ms. "Smith" until such time as you indicate otherwise. (Yes, this forum is an exception, as we don't use full names.)

I don't know that "we" deserve most of what Rose listed. What was it that ragged piece of paper said? We have the right to the pursuit of happiness. Doesn't say we get to actually be happy.

We have the right to have ideas, and to express them. But, "our rights end at our nose."
Those to whom we express them have the right to express their own points of view. (Son of a gun. It's a forum!)

And as Mr. Ravenscroft pointed out. You can't expect to "deserve" something without shouldering on the responsibilities that come with it. Or, for that matter, proving your qualification.

Without that, it's just a wish list. And I deserve a pony.

(Please note, that was meant as flippancy, not actually disrespect. There are only so many words that I'm allowed to string together with serious intent. It's a union thing.)

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Good Lord.
I don't know what to say.

I don't deserve anything as it relates to writing.
Discipline + skill + talent = the opportunity to try to earn something from writing. And what it is I earn is in direct proportion to the amount of the first three things mentioned along with Luck and researching the best places to earn.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Guys I don't think this is one of those times for a blunt wake up call or anything. Afinerose has just had to deal with PA and I think is just stating what she feels she deserves as an author as opposed to what they have provided for her. Yes of course we can go into the debate about whether authors "deserve" anything, that whole we are now living in a time when everyone thinks they have a right to everything. But I really think she was just standing up and basically saying she deserves an editor, to be paid etc, as opposed to the PA mantra of "you should be happy you're published in the first place". I really don't think she meant she didn't have to put in the hard work.

Call off the hounds guys, come on.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
PA deserves to be kicked, burned, tortured, and hanged like a dry piece of dead skin for everyone to spit on.

Howz that? :)

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Guys, if you read it properly, you'd see it comes from the POV of someone who's work has already been accepted.

Before the acceptance, all we really deserve is a chance to query.

I agree that we deserve to have decent publishers to submit to. And once we've been given a contract, we deserve to be treated as professionals and to have our books treated as something that is to be sold to the general populace.

Yeah, it's not about what we deserve as a writer, it's about what we deserve from a publisher, which is different.

Afinerosesheis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm sorry you all seemed to miss my point. Some of you were very rude. That isn't called for. I didn't expect to get the pi* knocked out of me on this one. Just food for thought.

I will reply at a later time.

Status
Not open for further replies.