Spiderpig!

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
I went to the cinema on Sunday and found a giant plastic Simpsons Couch (and characters) in the lobby.
And before DieHard 4.0 started I saw the trailer for the Simpsons Movie.

Apart from the fact that it's shot animated digitally (They learned from making Futurama apparently) and has the odd good gag, what did y'all take away from the trailer?

Can a 30 minute cartoon make the jump to the big screen successfully?

Opinions, Thoughts and Insults welcome

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
You'd be amazed.... My friends hubby is 36 & has every simpson toy imaginable. It is a cartoon for adults - not kids. Scary that the kids love it and get most of their education there. I can't speak too ill of that - my daughter (4th grade) came home from sex ed class & said "I finally understand that Family Guy episode". *hangs head in shame*

It sparked from a 3 minute blurp on Tracy Ullman into 30 minutes so why not stretch to 2 hrs. I am saving my $30 though & passing on seeing it in the theaters. I stopped watching it years ago - no insult to fans - we just cancelled TV all together.

There, Can I have my 2 cents back now?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I hope they succeed and have a great story... but the truth is, it's difficult to do. Even South Park (and what a laughfest) dragged at the end -- it was at least half an hour too long. And I don't remember the last time a 30-minute skit show turned into a good movie... color me skeptical.

(I, too, stopped watching the Simpsons a few years ago, after being an avid fan for years -- I think after a while, there is usually fatigue...)

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
It is a cartoon for adults - not kids.
That's true, but there are plenty of "grown-up" cartoons that wouldn't stretch 90 minutes.
It sparked from a 3 minute blurp on Tracy Ullman into 30 minutes so why not stretch to 2 hrs.
Well, films based on TV shows have a habit of trying to be big and grand because they're on the BIG SCREEN and end up losing what makes the show great.
There, Can I have my 2 cents back now?
Thank you for the donation to the Bmwhtly retirement fund. THis donation is tax-deductable and non-refundable.

I hope they succeed and have a great story
So do I. Not least because if this does really well, mayhaps someone'll let them make more Futurama.
but the truth is, it's difficult to do.
Exactly. As the saying goes "Hope for the best, expect the worst". I hope this is superb, but I doubt it.
color me skeptical.
No need.

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
If Matt Groening wrote the script, I'd be willing to check it out. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'll have to pass. Lost faith in The Simpsons a long time ago... :(

Now Futurama, on the other hand...

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a time when I wouldn't have missed an episode of the Simpsons. Now? Meh. I'll just go see Ratatouille again.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
I realise there is a lot of apathy about The Simpsons later episodes.

But a thought occurs (from time to time). One of the Problems with more recent Simpsons episodes is that the basis' become more and more outlandish. Well isn't that something that could be handled better over Ninety minutes, rather than shoe-horning it into 22?

I'll let you know once it's out.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
The Simpsons is my favorite TV show of all time, although I've hated it passionately for the last few years (the true sign of an entitlement-mentality fan). Unless they've been hoarding all the good jokes from the last few years, I think the movie will stink (and of course I'll be in the theaters on 7/27). The animation looks great a-la-Futurama, but the jokes on the previews have been weak at best. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised? Lord help me, I AM Comicbook Guy.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the Simpsons' funnier stuff was written a long time ago by different writers/producers than they have now.
Example: Conan O'Brien.

Last edited:

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
Part of the problem is the characters have become caricatures of themselves, now that those good writers are gone.

Once upon a time, Homer and Bart actually got to say smart things once in awhile. The show was a satire with insightful/incisive comments on family and society.

Now Homer acts as if he's been repeatedly lobotomized. It's all slapstick with no real connecting sense of coherent story in the episodes. .Has been since 1999 or so, as far as I can tell.

Last edited: