single or double, one side or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eowyn Eomer

1. Writing a novel on computer using a word based program, should it be single spaced or double spaced?

2. When printing it out, should you print it on one side of the paper only or front and back?

3. Should there be a seperate title page and if so, how should it look? Are there any examples online perhaps?

Eowyn Eomer

Thanks, but I didn't find if it should be single or double spaced or front side only or front and back.

maestrowork

You're talking about final ms, right? Always double spaced. One side only.

Eowyn Eomer

Thanks. You say final manuscript. Should it be single while I'm writing it and later I should double it or does it matter?

SRHowen

In many places in those threads it tells you double spaced. And NEVER NEVER EVER print on both sides of the page--paper quality should be that the letters of the page underneath don't show through.

You might want to subscribe to Writer's Digest, or buy a few how to books for beginners.

This is taken from my agent's web site, it is a good standard guide.

The following are standard manuscript preparation guidelines. Formatting your work to these specifications will make it easier for your book to be evaluated.

Margins: 1 inch all around.

Font: Courier or Courier New is preferred but we also like Franklin Gothic Book. 12 point always. Please note that Smart Quotes and other symbols may not print correctly in Courier, so you may have to turn off Smart Quotes if you are going to use plain Courier.

Italics: Never use italics. Instead, use an underline to indicate italics. This is because typesetters will not respond to italics, only to underlined words. Please note that the punctuation following a word to be set in italics should also be underlined.

Spelling: Preferred spellings may be found in Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Ed. If your word processor has a spell-checker, please use it. Also, please set your grammar checker to on and be sure it checks for two spaces at the end of a sentence and punctuation inside quote marks.

Spacing: Double-spaced, always. There should never be a single space; there should also never be a triple space. If you want to insert a line space to indicate a change of viewpoint or a change of setting, or other break in the narrative, insert a centered pound sign (#) where the line space should be.

Justification: Left for all paragraph text. Chapter numbers can be centered, but please use the centering command. Do not tab over to center your chapter numbers.

Tabs: At the beginning of every paragraph. Some authors don’t bother to indent the first paragraph of a chapter. Please do.

You should never have more than one tab. It is strongly recommended that, during your final review of the manuscript, you set your word-processor to show all non-printing characters, e.g., paragraph marks, tabs, spaces, etc. This will help you to see if you have extra breaks, tabs, etc.

In Microsoft Word,
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the View tab.
Under Formatting marks, select the check boxes next to the characters you want to display.

Tip: To display all formatting marks, select the All check box instead of selecting each individual check box. You can also turn the All option on or off by clicking Show/Hide.

Chapter Breaks: Always start a new chapter on a new page. However, do not just hit return until you get to a new page. Use CTRL-Return or Insert Page Break to start a new page.

Header: Your page header should include the title of your work in the top left-hand corner and also your name, e.g., MY BOOK/Joe Smith/Draft #. We no longer recommend dating it, as it may take a while for your work to sell. The page number should go in the top right-hand corner. They should be in the same font as the body of your manuscript, but may be in a slightly smaller type size, e.g., 10 point.

AutoReplace: Microsoft Word has exceptional AutoFormat and AutoText features that are very useful for most business writing. However, some of these features are best turned off when writing a book. Do not allow the computer to replace two dashes (--) with a long dash (—). Do not allow the computer to replace three periods for ellipses (. . .) with a single character (…).

File: Many authors prefer to write chapters in separate files. This is useful for backing up chapters. However, when we ask for a manuscript, it must be consecutively numbered and when we ask for the file, we want one, single file containing the whole work, please.

Print-outs: Preferably laser, but in no event less than letter quality. If using a dot-matrix printer, please use a new ribbon. This goes even for “draft” manuscripts intended only for the company’s review. Please use a bright white paper intended for the type of printer you are using. Remember, this manuscript may be photocopied by the company several times and therefore should be on good enough paper to produce quality copies.

Shipping: Please box your manuscripts when shipping them, preferably in a hard box, not just a photocopy shop box. The Post Office provides hard Priority Mail boxes at no charge. Put your manuscript in a copy shop box and then into the Priority Mail box for maximum protection. This is to ensure that your materials do not get crushed and become unusable for submission or photocopying.

Shawn

Eowyn Eomer

Thanks!

Tabs: At the beginning of every paragraph. Some authors don’t bother to indent the first paragraph of a chapter. Please do.
This is something I've wondered about. I've noticed in books that it seems new chapters are only about three spaces in and hitting the tab puts it farther in that that. I normally just hit the space bar three times for a new paragraph. So I should be using tab instead?

SRHowen

Aways use that tab key. You want things uniform and consistent--and what a published book looks like has nothing to do with what a manuscript looks like.

Shawn

James D Macdonald

Should it be single while I'm writing it and later I should double it or does it matter?

It doesn't matter what it looks like while you're writing it. If you want to write the first draft of your novel in lipstick on brown paper bags, that's your choice. Whatever you're comfortable with.

Just make sure the finished, submitted, work goes in standard manuscript format.

<a href="http://www.sfwa.org/writing/vonda/vonda.htm" target="_new">Manuscript Preparation</a>.

SRHowen

When I print my first draft (my draft for editing) I use triple spacing, and 1.5 margins, so I have plenty of room to scribble. James is right, what you do for your first draft does not matter---

Shawn

katdad

It depends

Single space may be easier to read on screen because there's less scrolling. It's also less expensive to print out, and the same goes for duplex (2-sided) printing.

But this is for your own reading (or for friends) only.

When submitting to an agent/publisher, always double spaced, wide margins, single sided.

The exact format for submitting has been discussed elsewhere in this forum.

Jamesaritchie

writing

I do, in fact, sometimes write my first drafts in lipstick on brown paper bags. Critics seem to think it would be best if I left it at this stage.

Seriously, I write most of my first drafts in longhand, and early computer drafts are done in a font called "Typewriter Rough" that would never do for submissions. Just make sure the final draft is right.

As for indents, don't go by how it's done in books. Set your tabe for five spaces, or half an inch, and use that.

Writing Again

Re: writing

Heck, you guys left me nothing to say except, "Good luck."

reph

Re: writing

Some of what's above suggests that a novel ms. could never be typed on a Mac. Is that true?

Jamesaritchie

Mac

There's nothing at all in formatting that can be done on a PC that can't be done on a Mac. You can use Word on a Mac, after all, and you do the formatting in Word. But I've yet to see a halfway decent word processor, Mac version or any other, that can't handle all the formatting mentioned here.

Stephen King formats just fine, and he uses a Mac. I think he always has.

reph

Re: Mac

Thanks, James, but is Word required, as opposed to something else that's easier to use?

maestrowork

Re: Mac

Doesn't the Mac come with a word processor? I think most WP (even the lowly WordPad that comes with Windows) supports these formatting tools.

Gala

joke?

I think you're kidding around, reph.

Mac is the best machine around for desktop publishing and printing, and always has been.

As long as the manuscript for submission follows the guidelines already explained, the tool doesn't matter.

One could even use a typewriter, and in fact, Courier and use of underline for italics comes from the typewriter days.

I print my pre-final manuscripts in whatever font suits my fancy, on recycled paper if I've got it, paper that has printing on the other side, colored paper here and there. I make my own cover for the binder.

And write by hand on napkins, business cards, in books, on subway tickets, whatever's handy if I've run out of the legal paper I keep folded in my purse.

But lipstick is too sloppy; sorry. Plus the germs to one's lips later--yuk!

Some of my dearest handwritten pages are rumpled with coffee or tear stains.

:nerd

reph

Re: joke?

Gala, I'm not kidding around at all. I use two Mac laptops, both rather old by this gadget-loving society's standards. One is connected to a printer, and the other has a modem, so they do different jobs. Each came with some proprietary word-processing software. I used Word occasionally at an agency where I volunteered, and I found it awkward. However, it seems that everybody's expected to have a PC and Word.

I have moral doubts about being excluded from this and that unless you buy all the latest expensive machinery and the stuff to put in it. At least, the doubts feel moral to me; to others, they may only seem eccentric. I want to go back to a time when what was in your head counted more than what you owned.

Gala

back in time

you said, "go back to when what was in your head counted more than what you owned."

I've done this...but that's another topic ;)

As for Mac: you already know there's a Mac version of Word. I don't know about WordPerfect. It ain't cheap--you know that too.

Perhaps you're using Claris?

In terms of manuscript, really, that format can be accomplished on the simplest software. That's part of the beauty of it. Perhaps the tool isn't the latest and greatest, but it does the job.

Or is there some aspect of manuscript format you cannot do on your Mac? Heavens, I used Write Now in a Mac Plus and loved it, was productive.

Please don't tell me you cannot do courier, one-inch margins, headers and footers on your Mac?

maestrowork

Re: back in time

I think Reph was talking some of the "fancy" stuff like auto-replace, or chapter/page breaks. In some "low-end" word processors, all you can do is insert blank lines to create a new page.

In some, the margins might not be changeable, or no insert header/footer functionality.

Gala

yep

I understand. Was targeting the topic at hand ;)

Now, if anyone wants to take it outside and discuss the other matter, I'm game.

:nerd

EE--I trust your question has been answered. SRHowen in particular gave a good list. Now go forth!

Jamesaritchie

Mac

I know there are word processors that bad, but there's no reason for anyone to use one unless they just want to. There are many word processors for the Mac that can do anything a writer needs to do, including some free ones.

Every writer should have a decent word processor, but I haven't yet used a Mac that didn't come with a bundled word processor that will do it all, though maybe I'm behind the times.

But you don't have to pay much, or anything, for a Mac ported word processor that will handle all formatting needs.

reph

Re: yep

Please don't tell me you cannot do courier, one-inch margins, headers and footers on your Mac?

I can do Courier and margins of different sizes. I don't know how to make a manuscript number its own pages, for instance. One Mac has Clarisworks; the other has Appleworks. Fortunately, I'm not planning to write any novels.

Jamesaritchie

Mac

I'd say Mac used to be the best for printing and publishing needs, at one time it was tops, but it certainly isn't the best now, and it's losing more ground fast. Most of the publishing houses I know have been shedding Macs fast because they just haven't kept up with the needs publishers have now. I got rid of a Mac for just this reason. I could format and print on it just fine, but I need much more than this for my publishing needs, and Mac couldn't do it.

But I don't think you're expected to have a PC and Word. . . I know several SF writers still use WordStar, and that thing is DOS. I know writers who use nearly every conceivable word processor that exists, and many who use a Mac.

And God only knows how many use Linux now, and Word won't work on most Linux platforms.

But having Word does help, and in my opinion, it is far superior to anything else out there, though WordPerfect comes close in most ways. If Word seems awkward, it's just because it's very powerful, and you do have to learn how to use some of its tools properly. But Word shaves forty to fifty hours off my final drafts, and that's a lot of time. WordPerfect might shave almost as much, but I find new versions of it much less useful than the old ones were.

I don't think a gadget oriented society has much to do with it. It's just business. The world is electronic now, and compatibility is a major factor. Printing is much less the big deal that it used to be, and being able to work in electronic tandem is getting more and more important. It saves time, energy, manpower, and money.

And there are simply things you can do with Word XP and a PC that, as far as I know, can't be done with any other word processor. Not every writer needs some of these functions, but I do, and they aren't to be had with a Mac, or with a word processor other than Word XP.

It's still what you have in your head that counts, but publishing has always been a business, and if you want to be in that business you use the tools that keep you compatible.

My first drafts are in longhand, and I still get out the manual typewriter fairly often, but when it comes time for final drafts and for submissions, and especially for times when I work with an editor in a real time computer link, Word XP and a PC are necessary.

I don't think this has anything to do with morality, anymore than replacing the horse and buggy with the automobile had anyting to do with morality. It was simply a better, faster way of doing the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.