What's a book packager?

• Thread starter La Belle Dame sans Merci26
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

La Belle Dame sans Merci26

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this question or not (if not please move it :) ), but what's a book packager? I keep hearing the phrase. Is it a good thing? Is it for fiction and non-fiction?

Writing Again

I googled "book packager" and it looks as though each and every packager has their own definition of themselves.

Writers tend to get paid one time flat fees and no royalties or rights, so I would not want to work for one.

James D Macdonald

You know those annoying people who come up to you and say "I have a great idea for a book -- you write it and we'll split the money"?

Well, that's a book packager, except they really do have an idea for a book (which they've already sold to a publisher) and there really is money on the line.

Usually this is work-for-hire. Sometimes you can get a royalty deal.

It's a source for a quick cash-infusion, but for a long-term career living in Packager Gulch isn't a good idea.

La Belle Dame sans Merci26

Thanks James.
IIRC you've been commissioned to write books, but that seems to be something different, (I thought at first book packages were simply commissioned work, but that was wrong).

Tish Davidson

I don't know what Jim's actual experience with book packagers is, but my experience and impression of the ones I have worked with is not nearly as negative as his.

I have worked mainly with textbook packagers.
A lot of textbooks are put together this way. The packager gets one or several experts to do a detailed chapter outline for a book. Someone else with research expertise in the field does much of the research, usually with direction from the expert and concentrating on what is new in the field since the competitor's books have been published. Next a writer is hired to write anything from one chapter to the whole book based on the outline and research. The packager then hires artists and photographers to do the graphics and often another writer to do side bars and textbook features (those little half page bits that are usually highlighted in colored boxes) and a professional indexer for the book.

The "package" has already been presold to a textbook publisher, who in this case is more of a printer than a publisher, although throughout the project people on the publisher's staff have editorial input. However, the writer never deals with the publisher directly. Everything gets hammered out between the publisher's staff and the book packager's project manager, who is normally the only person the writer has to deal with.

Jim is right that the pay is work made for hire (with payment usually a flat rate per chapter or word length), but if you have expertise in a technical area, the pay can be good, and since the structure and research are already given to you, you can move along quickly. The last time I did a project like this (several years ago) the flat rate came out to anywhere between $50 and $75/hour (I was writing about a topic I was already familiar with.) Plus, you normally only write one (high quality) draft and once it is accepted then you're done and you can move on to the next project. I don't see this work as any more degrading than any other kind of corporate writing. The downside is that you usually get a teeny tiny writing credit somewhere in the front or the back of the book that only your mother will look for. But if you write to pay the bills, a project like this can be a godsend in a slow freelancing period. I wouldn't dismiss all book packagers simply because you aren't the sole creator of the book. It isn't the only kind of writing you'll want to do, but it can be a legitimate form of paid writing.

vstrauss

A book packager is NOT...

...a person who "packages" your manuscript (i.e., tarts it up with various items such as fancy bindings, illustrations, a marketing plan, a cover mockup) and pitches it (usually extremely ineffectively) to publishers, for a fee of $1,000 or more. I mention this because there are a few people like this who dub themselves book packagers.

Some vanity publishers also call themselves book packagers. More accurately, they're book manufacturers.

- Victoria

James D Macdonald

I don't know what Jim's actual experience with book packagers is...

<a href="http://www.sff.net/people/doylemacdonald/pseudo.htm" target="_new">The answer is here</a>.

Tish Davidson

Gee, Jim, don't jump down my throat or anything.

Maybe non-fiction and fiction book packagers operate differently. Are you saying that all those pseudonymous novels were book packager deals? I've known writers who do novelizations of movies, but they don't pay very well. I suppose they could be considered book packager books.

The whole nonfiction textbook book package thing is more about getting experts and writers and graphic artists with specific technical knoweldge together, not, as Victoria says "tarting up" manuscript.

Status
Not open for further replies.