Status
Not open for further replies.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
To be filed in the "shameless plug" file!

Check this out...

http://www.evilgeniuscomics.com/the_blog_monster.htm

“You ever have one of those days? For me, every day is one of those days.”

That’s how we meet Buddy Neben, superhero sidekick. Baron Odious is attacking city hall with his ovobot and only Major Hero can stop him. Well, except for one problem…Major Hero has amnesia and can’t make new
memories either.

“[He’s] like that guy in that movie. The one that goes backwards. With the guy who lost his memory.”

That’s the basis for Huddleston and Moss’s Sidekickin’ Hero. A superhero Memento. But where Memento is a dramatic thriller, Sidekickin’ Hero is an action comedy, heavy on the comedy. There are some authentic laughs from Baron Odious realizing parts of his ovobot design were poorly thought out to Major Hero learning about his powers. Mettam’s “A Day in the Life” is a nice introduction to the Demented Duo.

Nichols’s “Kicked” gives us the origin…well, re-origin of Major Hero and his memory condition. We find out what Major Hero and Buddy were like before the accident.

The creative team working on this One Shot puts together an impressive package. Mettam’s writing in “A Day in the Life” is humorous and exciting, with well-timed gags and comedic repetition. The dialogue between Major Hero and Buddy is Seinfeld-esque.

Nichols’s writing, while more subdued in tone, still carries some Abbott and Costello style, so pathetic it’s funny, chuckles, and does its job in showing the disparate lives of our protagonists before and after the accident and showing us the accident itself. Moss’s art, with Dabu’s inks, give Mettam’s script comedic life, and helps make sure we see the comedy carried on Mettam’s words. Huddleston’s pencils, with Dabu again inking and Garcia coloring, are more serious in keeping with the tone of “Kicked”.

Sidekicks have taken on a comedic life of their own from Arthur’s trials alongside the Tick, to Paul Jenkins’s Image comics limited series Sidekick. Viper Comics’ Sidekickin’ Hero is a worthy addition to the sidekick comedy genre. Be sure to check it out today! It’s on Diamond’s Shipping List for today, July 5, 2007."​

HOLY CARP!

Seinfeld-esque!!!!

Even if you're not a fan, but that is a comedy benchmark!

Of course, being mentioned in the same review as "The Tick" is even better!

I'm seriously buzzing!

AzBobby

Ought to be writing instead
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the rave review. Makes me want to find a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.