PDA

View Full Version : Live Earth

Rainy Night
07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Anyone catch the concerts... I tried to watch about as much of it as I could between the web, Sundance and Bravo I think I caught most of it.

Roger Waters was awesome, Pumpkins and the Police all rocked... I was in Rock and Roll heaven for about 22 hours.

ChunkyC
07-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Watched a fair bit of it. Way cool at times, way boring at others. The Police were awesome, though Kanye West could have stayed backstage. His monosyllabic grunts added nothing to Message in a Bottle, though the togetherness message of having him and John Mayer join the Police onstage for that tune was cool enough.

One of the big hilights for me was Madonna's performance of Ray of Light. I've never been a huge fan of hers (I think she has a nasally, flat singing voice), but I had the surround sound system cranked up when the station I was watching switched over to that and it friggin' ROCKED! I have to admit, seeing her with a guitar strapped on was darn cool, even if what she was playing was pretty straightforward. And it wasn't just a prop, her guit was right up there in the mix with everything else. Good for her and her kick-ass band.

Chumplet
07-09-2007, 10:19 PM
I particularly enjoyed Spinal Tap. Fans were waving zuccinis, and one person held up a sign that said, "Turn it up to 11."

aka eraser
07-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I only caught bits and pieces but I was very impressed with the Foo Fighters.

Rainy Night
07-09-2007, 11:58 PM
I particularly enjoyed Spinal Tap. Fans were waving zuccinis, and one person held up a sign that said, "Turn it up to 11."

Spinal Tap was AWSOME... especially when they brought out all the bass players... IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE... *including Madonna's because you know eventually everyone goes Madonna*

ChunkyC
07-10-2007, 12:34 AM
I am like totally bummed I missed SPINAL TAP. And yeah, Frank, the Foo Fighters were great. I love to see performers give 'er like that.

On the other end of the spectrum you had peeps like Kelly Clarkson -- who has a fabulous voice and is the best of the American Idol winners imho -- but she still needs to learn how to perform.

I wonder if they'll have everything from all the concerts on, like, 120 DVD's. ;)

Chumplet
07-10-2007, 12:56 AM
I think you can download 'em somewhere.

Rainy Night
07-10-2007, 01:12 AM
On the other end of the spectrum you had peeps like Kelly Clarkson -- who has a fabulous voice and is the best of the American Idol winners imho -- but she still needs to learn how to perform.

Or just learn to speak in front of an audience without rambling on forever ...

The Foo Fighters rocked it alright... I liked Lincoln Park also.

Storyteller5
07-10-2007, 01:17 AM
The saddest part is the fact that the message didn't seem to really get through. Did anyone else see the news reports showing Wembley Stadium a foot deep in plastic bottles, papre napkins, wrappers and other garbage. I think it was just a big music festival. I doubt anyone really considered the message.

ChunkyC
07-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Based on that, I'd say the message got through more for those of us watching on TV than for those in attendance.

Rainy Night
07-10-2007, 02:25 AM
I got the message, more so through the short films and info-statements broadcast between the performances.

aadams73
07-10-2007, 02:39 AM
There was nothing better than seeing Crowded House live again in Sydney! I was so darn happy.

The_Grand_Duchess
07-10-2007, 03:13 AM
I totally didn't know that it was happening until like nine that night. I missed out on so much! But the Foo Fighters were awesome! I love rock bands.

I watched highlights on NBC. My daughter kept dancing around in front of the screen.

underthecity
07-10-2007, 04:56 AM

We were on vacation and caught only a few minutes of the show, and saw Kelly Clarkson perform.

I disagree with your assessment, Chunky. My wife and I both found that Kelly Clarkson was in very poor form. Her voice sounded very strained and hoarse. In short, it was awful. We noted that by the end of the show she wouldn't be able to sing or talk at all.

Then, the next day, she was hosting American Top 40, sitting in for Ryan Seacrest. Her voice sounded okay, but if she's going to do a radio show more often, she really really needs to learn how to talk on the air. In spite of the fact that AT40 is scripted, she peppered every single break with a lot of "ums" and "uhs."

But I guess I'm picky.

allen

ChunkyC
07-10-2007, 05:17 AM
I agree, her voice didn't sound great, but she does have a fantastic set of pipes when it's in shape. My primary beef was that her performance was weak, I was willing to make allowances for her having strained her voice leading up to this concert.

Justin91
07-10-2007, 06:28 AM
I was having a cookout and missed most of it...I caught The Foo Fighters and The Police and that was great!!! John Mayer and Kanye West didnt add much to Message in a Bottle, but it was great to see everyone having a good time.

Are they going to replay this anytime soon?

Shadow_Ferret
07-10-2007, 04:10 PM
I tried to watch. There was some stupid Asian group in yellow jumpsuits playing some kind of weird violins. I stopped watching immediately and never bothered with it again.

Oh, wait, I watched that until some awful female singer came out prancing around. THEN I turned it off.

RLSMiller
07-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Massive Kelly Clarkson fan here. I've seen her live and I can assure you, she's usually in far far better shape than that, both vocally and performance-wise. And she can perform her ass off (take a look at the VMAs). People slated her because her vocals were pretty all over the place in that performance, but she still got crowd pumped like crazy. I think she prefers the more intimate crowds, though.

She's working herself too hard, IMHO. Her voice can be amazing for sure, but she doesn't give herself a break with the vocal-taxing songs and constant touring, etc....

She's a rambler for sure, but for me that's part of her charm. She's just an average, every-day, natural sort of star, and that's endearing to me. You get these performers that are just so preened and polished (e.g. Beyonce) that, even though they may be great, they can get boring. It's hard to relate to people that are pretty much perfect all the time.

ChunkyC
07-11-2007, 07:35 PM
She's working herself too hard, IMHO. Her voice can be amazing for sure, but she doesn't give herself a break with the vocal-taxing songs and constant touring, etc....
I think you are right on the money here.

Are they going to replay this anytime soon?
Looks like a lot of it is available on MSN for the next little while.
Live Earth site (http://www.liveearth.org/).
Info about on-demand video (http://www.liveearth.org/?p=226).
liveearth.msn.com (http://liveearth.msn.com/)

ALLWritety
07-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Hi

What's the point in having knees up if nothing is going to be done to the earth that we live in? I only caught glimpses over here but i wasn't sure of the motives.

I'm all for big concerts but has this really impacted the world and changed them to actually DO SOMETHING? I doubt it, well certainly not on a global setting.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Kev

ChunkyC
07-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Has it had an impact? Hard to quantify. I know I'm using canvas bags when I go to the grocery store, for example, but I was doing that before. Hopefully others will start doing such things as a result of having such ideas brought more forward in their consciousness by the messages delivered along with the music. And that's really what this was all about, to cause people to think about such things more than they did before.

Hopefully it will have an impact. I'd like to think it has and will continue to do so.

ALLWritety
07-11-2007, 08:25 PM
I hope so too.
K.

Rainy Night
07-11-2007, 11:57 PM
It brought a lot of things to my attention, and my kids also. We live in Phoenix where we've been in a drought for a few years. We've started to conserve water, my kids have become very aware of the environmental situation. Gives me hope for the future.

Shadow_Ferret
07-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Has it had an impact? Hard to quantify. I know I'm using canvas bags when I go to the grocery store, for example,
You take your own bags to the grocery store? You realize they supply their own, right?

Do they at least give you a discount for that?

ChunkyC
07-12-2007, 08:24 PM
You take your own bags to the grocery store? You realize they supply their own, right?

Do they at least give you a discount for that?
Well yeah, of course I know they supply their own. ;)

BUT -- in Canada at one national grocery chain alone, they will use one BILLION plastic bags this year. These bags are a petroleum product and they are not biodegradable. You can ask for paper, but millions of trees are cut down every year to make paper grocery bags. Both kinds are generally used once then thrown away.

I couldn't care less if I got a discount for using my own reusable canvas bags. I'm doing it because I think it's the right thing to do. But, they do take a few pennies off for each bag of your own you bring, each time you use it.

ETA: Just did a little math -- by using our own bags, my wife and I throw away around six hundred fewer plastic bags per year. That's just two people.

Shadow_Ferret
07-13-2007, 04:24 AM
But I use those plastic and paper bags. I bet I save a ton of money reusing them instead of buying my own.

Mr. Fix
07-13-2007, 04:34 AM
The saddest part is the fact that the message didn't seem to really get through. Did anyone else see the news reports showing Wembley Stadium a foot deep in plastic bottles, papre napkins, wrappers and other garbage. I think it was just a big music festival. I doubt anyone really considered the message.

6 Continents, 8 Venues, 24 hours of performances, 30 million viewers, massive crowds, massive sound systems, massive energy bills, masses of people sitting on their asses for hours - consuming, massive garbage left behind. Just one concert venue could have powered Bangladesh for a month!

Yeah, what was the messege again? Because what I got out of this was mass consumerism, self-indulgence, riding the handbasket all the way down, but who cares - I got it on my IPod now!

:Shrug:

Mr. Fix
07-13-2007, 04:39 AM
It brought a lot of things to my attention, and my kids also. We live in Phoenix where we've been in a drought for a few years. We've started to conserve water, my kids have become very aware of the environmental situation. Gives me hope for the future.

I think the drought in Pheonix has lasted a little long than "a few years," more like a few centuries... YOU LIVE IN A DESERT! there is no water there. It has to be pumped in from other places that are truely having a drought. Like Colorado. There are many places we humans choose to live that make no sense to me. New Orleans IS UNDER SEA LEVEL! You don't live someplace thats underwater unless you have a submarine. LA can support maybe 100,000 residences, not 17 Million. Las Vegas, Pheonix... hell, just about anyplace west of the Rockies and south of Idaho really cannot support the populations that live there. And I guarantee if something like air conditioning and aquaducts didn't exist there would be very few people living in those SW USA locations right now. If we humans are going to be serious about our condition we start by making some tough choices. We need to come together and live in central metropolis' that can provide the necessary care for huge populations. Save the environment by preventing humans from going into it! No more building your home next to the lake in the mountains. Visit in a backpack and tent, sure. expanding the asphalt mini-mall into the wilderness (think Yosemite NP) and this earth is doomed, DOOMED I TELL YOU!

:rant:

Shadow_Ferret
07-13-2007, 07:25 AM
30 million viewers
That many? Because I heard it got lower ratings than the NHL playoffs.

ChunkyC
07-13-2007, 08:51 PM
6 Continents, 8 Venues, 24 hours of performances, 30 million viewers, massive crowds, massive sound systems, massive energy bills, masses of people sitting on their asses for hours - consuming, massive garbage left behind. Just one concert venue could have powered Bangladesh for a month!

Yeah, what was the messege again? Because what I got out of this was mass consumerism, self-indulgence, riding the handbasket all the way down, but who cares - I got it on my IPod now!

:Shrug:
And the whole thing still probably used less energy and created less garbage than Las Vegas did during the same time period. People burn electricity for lazy-ass stuff like automatic garage door openers, can openers ... at least the energy burned for Live Earth was for a positive purpose instead of a bunch of blinking lights on tens of thousands of one armed bandits.

We will never ever stop using energy. The key as I see it is to generate it as cleanly as possible in as sustainable manner as possible and not waste it on silly things.

ChunkyC
07-13-2007, 09:02 PM
But I use those plastic and paper bags. I bet I save a ton of money reusing them instead of buying my own.
My canvas bags (8 of them) cost me a total of twelve dollars. That's pretty darn cheap. I already figured out that we used to use over 500 plastic bags a year. We get 3 off per bag. So in a year, we save $15, a net gain of $3 for us the first year we used them. AND we didn't throw 500 plastic bags in a landfill. The bags are in great shape and should serve us well for many years before wearing out.

Seriously, can anyone really find a use for hundreds of plastic bags a year that would prevent them from ever ending up in a landfill? Because that's the true comparison here. Every time I use a canvas bag, that's one plastic bag that will NEVER get put in a landfill.

Shadow_Ferret
07-14-2007, 09:16 AM
And the whole thing still probably used less energy and created less garbage than Las Vegas did during the same time period. I think you're delusional if you think that whole event was put on without using energy or creating garbage. They are rock STARS. They used private jets and helicopters, giant limos to get around. They used electricity to run their amps at 11 and the crowds probably left enough waste to fill several landfills.

My canvas bags (8 of them) cost me a total of twelve dollars. That's pretty darn cheap. I already figured out that we used to use over 500 plastic bags a year. We get 3 off per bag. So in a year, we save $15, a net gain of $3 for us the first year we used them. AND we didn't throw 500 plastic bags in a landfill. The bags are in great shape and should serve us well for many years before wearing out.

Seriously, can anyone really find a use for hundreds of plastic bags a year that would prevent them from ever ending up in a landfill? Because that's the true comparison here. Every time I use a canvas bag, that's one plastic bag that will NEVER get put in a landfill.
I'm talking about re-using those plastic bags and saving money. I don't have to buy other garbage bags to say, pick up the dog shit or clean the kitty litter. I use the bags from the grocery store. So I'm saving money that way. You're saving $15. I'm saving probably over $100.

Because I'm betting you still use plastic garbage bags to throw out your trash.

Writer2011
07-14-2007, 10:24 AM
I DVR'D it---fast forwarded through about 95% of it

Writer2011
07-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Oh speaking of going green...I drive a 1980 Chevelle..always puffing smoke, and don't recylce...nothing.

ChunkyC
07-14-2007, 10:57 PM
I think you're delusional if you think that whole event was put on without using energy or creating garbage.
Where did I say I thought Live Earth didn't use any electricity? I'm not an idiot, of course I know the concerts used gobs of power. I only said that Las Vegas probably used more power during the same time period.

I'm talking about re-using those plastic bags and saving money. I don't have to buy other garbage bags to say, pick up the dog shit or clean the kitty litter. I use the bags from the grocery store. So I'm saving money that way. You're saving $15. I'm saving probably over $100.
And that's cool. But you said earlier that using the canvas bags was costing me money, the main point of my response was to show that it was not costing me anything. Even so, I'm happy to pay twelve bucks for some reusable bags. I'm not doing it to save money.

Because I'm betting you still use plastic garbage bags to throw out your trash.
Sure. I used to use the plastic grocery bags for that, but I still had probably more than half of them left over and there was no way I could find a use for all of them that would keep them out of landfills. So I'm using an option that results in a net reduction in the number of bags I throw out every year. I suppose I should have calculated that in too for accuracy's sake, which would bring the net reduction to about 250 bags a year.

I'm not saying that using canvas bags is going to save the planet all by itself. Again, I'm not stupid. It's simply one of the myriad of things people can do that will help reduce the amount of non-biodegradable junk we throw away every year.