PDA

View Full Version : [Publisher] Totally Entwined Group / Totally Bound (formerly Total-e-bound)

Pages : [1] 2

BarbaraSheridan
07-09-2007, 06:35 PM
I didn't see any mention in the index or find a topic on TEB with the search feature, so here's a new thread Mods--if I've totally missed an existing thread delete away and try not to yell at me for being an idiot ;)

I recently offered an out of print historical to the brand new UK e-publisher Total-e-Bound (http://www.total-e-bound.com) to use in their "free read" section and was pleasantly surprised when owner Claire Siemaszkiewicz asked if I'd consider upping the heat level between the H/H because she'd like to reprint it. Claire gave some great suggestions for the rewrite. The suggested edits arrived just last week and this morning I received my author's copy of the revised book.

It's inevitable that things will slow a bit as their submissions increase but at this early stage I'm impressed not only with the speed but with the company in general. Claire and her partners have solid background which they have listed on the website--take note new publishers-- ALWAYS list this stuff. It's the first thing many authors look for when considering a new company. for.

They've got a very nice forum for readers set up with a private section for authors/artists. I really like the e-signature contract service they use as it makes things so much quicker and easier than snail mail which would be a nightmare considering their headquartered in the UK. The coverart is top notch and for your artists my friend Anne Cain is very pleased with in her dealings with TEB.

I hope Claire and company keep up the good work.

jennontheisland
09-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Hm. Is this really the only thread about Total E-Bound?

Are any AWers pubbed with them?

Comments??

Stacia Kane
09-19-2008, 01:20 PM
I know a couple of people who pubbed with them, but don't know whether or not they're pleased.

I think they have an advantage in being a UK company because it means UK readers don't have to worry about exchange rates (although given what the rate has been of late it's not like buying things in dollars is a hardship, but most banks do charge a fee.) It's nice to see an epublisher in the UK.

And they do seem like a class operation to me. I like the forums. I understand they also have an author login where their authors can get up-to-the-minute sales figures, which is frankly awesome.

Beyond that...it's still a new epublisher, which means--no matter how experienced the people behind it are--sales are probably not everything you'd get from a bigger, more established house. It takes time to build a name in this business, and Total's been around for, oh, a good year and a half, and beyond the flurry any new house causes when it opens this is the first time I've heard of them.

You could do worse, but you could probably do better. :) That said, if it's a reprint you weren't going to do anything with anyway and you feel like giving Total a try, why not.

I'd be very interested to know how things turn out--I hope if you do go with them you'll keep us updated (either here or through PM?)

jennontheisland
09-19-2008, 05:16 PM
It's an 8k short. So I have limited placement options for it, especially since it includes f/f/m. This one seemed like a decent option. I like the site, the forum, and the covers, despite the glut of mantitty, are quite a bit nicer than most.

The monthly payment of royalties seems a lot of effort. Especially since some pubs don't like to cut cheques for less than $25. Implies reasonable sales to me.

And of course, I will always share any numbers I manage to generate. :)

Stacia Kane
09-19-2008, 05:43 PM
The monthly payment of royalties seems a lot of effort. Especially since some pubs don't like to cut cheques for less than $25. Implies reasonable sales to me.

Nah, it's a simple computer program that generates all the numbers and checks. No more or less effort than doing them quarterly or once a year or whatever.

I don't know what their numbers are like, I'm not saying they're not decent, just that paying monthly means nothing aside from that it's nice to get monthly checks. :)

LfB
12-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Bumping.

Anyone work with Total e Bound recently?

para
01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Must be short on submissions because they have posted to three long dead livejournal communities.

Total-E-Bound is an erotic romance publisher providing top-quality books for the adventurous reader from some of the biggest names in the business. We are now actively seeking submissions from established and début authors.
We are currently accepting manuscripts between 10,000 and 100,000+ words in the following genres:
Action/Adventure, Bondage/BDSM, Comedy/Humour, Contemporary, Cowboy/Western, Fantasy/Fairytale, Futuristic/Sci-fi, Gay/Lesbian, Historical/Rubenesque, Ménage-à-trois/Multiple Partners, Multicultural, Older Woman/Younger Man, Paranormal/Timetravel, Thriller/Crime, Shapeshifters/Morphers, Vampire/Werewolf.
Submissions or queries should be sent to submissions@totalebound.com.
Please see our submissions page at http://www.total-e-bound.com/submissionguidelines.asp? for more details on heat ratings and submission guidelines.

x-posted

newbound
06-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Well, I'm hoping they are doing well, since I'm placing my next erotic romance with them. But they can't be any worse than my previous publisher, which is pitiful as far as book sales. The thing I notice about total-e-bound is that their Alexa rating is much better than many of the others, and their PR is 4, which is the same for many of the other more well known pubs.
And if you do a google search for "erotic romance", the site comes up number 9 on the first page. Heck, my previous publisher doesn't even show up on the first 5 pages. LOL No wonder the sales are awful. Wished I had checked that two years ago. LOL

firedrake
06-13-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm with TeB and so far, so good.
Great cover art (see avatar :D)
Huge amount of books on their web site
Efficient and friendly to work with.

They seem to have a pretty good publicity machine too.

areteus
06-13-2011, 08:07 PM
They've posted a couple of times here asking for anthology shorts as well...

brainstorm77
06-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I am with TEB and I have not heard anything negative about them yet. The editing process was great. I was extremely pleased with my cover art, and they are quick to answer questions. I can't speak about sales, since my first release comes out in August.

I do know that they prefer a high heat level.

michael_b
06-13-2011, 11:34 PM
I do know that they prefer a high heat level.

Could you give some sort of definition to 'high heat level'? Do they expect sex every 10,000 words or do sex scenes fall closer or farther apart? Do you mean the sex needs to be explicit but doesn't need to be frequent?

Each publisher has their own ideas of what 'hot' is and for some it means lots of sex scenes while from others it means a few very explicit ones.

I'm asking because I've been looking at this publisher as one I might be interested in trying.

areteus
06-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Generally best to see a publishers website for thier definitions of heat as they do vary a lot from publisher to publisher...

scarletpeaches
06-14-2011, 01:34 AM
They clearly have no standards 'cause they took me on. :D

brainstorm77
06-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Could you give some sort of definition to 'high heat level'? Do they expect sex every 10,000 words or do sex scenes fall closer or farther apart? Do you mean the sex needs to be explicit but doesn't need to be frequent?

Each publisher has their own ideas of what 'hot' is and for some it means lots of sex scenes while from others it means a few very explicit ones.

I'm asking because I've been looking at this publisher as one I might be interested in trying.

Taken from their website: http://www.total-e-bound.com/submissionguidelines.asp?#bookrating

We accept different levels of ratings:

Total-e-sizzling - Sexy, explicit and highly imaginative, with a sensual side.
Total-e-burning - Explicit, highly imaginative and hot, where almost anything goes. These titles are very uninhibited in both sexual dialect and descriptiveness.
Total-e-melting - These are our XXX stories. They differ from the others only in the content of the plotlines, as they tend to be much more risqué and explicit. These babies are burning hot. Some readers will find them objectionable, so definitely not for the faint hearted!
Total-e-taboo - the taboo line breaks into pure, unadulterated erotica or covers the subjects that could be seen as extreme or offensive, pushing stories to the limits of what some deem acceptable. These books don’t necessarily have to have a ‘happy every after’.

Adam
06-14-2011, 02:21 AM
They clearly have no standards 'cause they took me on. :D

Me, too. :D

Srs - They have been nothing but friendly and helpful. Great editing experience, and swift to publish in the case of my two (shorts). I'd recommend to any and all at this point.

michael_b
06-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Taken from their website: http://www.total-e-bound.com/submissionguidelines.asp?#bookrating

Thanks for the info. I tend to write stuff at the upper end of their requirements, I just don't like writing a lot of sex scenes if I don't have to do so.

scarletpeaches
06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Further to what Adam and Firedrake has said (not ignoring brainstorm; my reasons will become clear) as they're a UK-based publisher, they don't insist on changing Britishisms to US slang, which is a tremendous relief for this writer at least and I'm sure to the other Brits in this thread.

brainstorm77
06-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Further to what Adam and Firedrake has said (not ignoring brainstorm; my reasons will become clear) as they're a UK-based publisher, they don't insist on changing Britishisms to US slang, which is a tremendous relief for this writer at least and I'm sure to the other Brits in this thread.

We still use most of them in Canada anyway.

Adam
06-14-2011, 05:58 PM

My flats, pillocks, and pavements remain!

firedrake
06-14-2011, 06:03 PM
My MC failed to 'connect' with a US editor, so TeB seemed the way to go with my book because it's very 'British'. I haven't had my edits yet *twitches* but I doubt that the 'Britishness' will be touched.

newbound
06-14-2011, 06:05 PM
as they're a UK-based publisher, they don't insist on changing Britishisms to US slang, which is a tremendous relief for this writer at least and I'm sure to the other Brits in this thread.
OMG! I hadn't even thought of that. I am always using dreamt and leapt and my old publisher would make me change them. So I won't have to being with a UK publisher? woo hooo!!! I'll finally be able to write the way I want to. I HATE using dreamed and leaped. LOL

And I'm American, by the way. ;-)

Kensington
06-14-2011, 06:17 PM
I have several titles with this publisher. They're very professional, and responsive. Editing is good, so is the cover art, and the royalties. The latter come in without fail, on the first of every month. I'd recommend them without hesitation. Total-E-Bound makes a dramatic and most welcome contrast to the deadbeat slags that clutter up the industry.

brainstorm77
06-14-2011, 06:19 PM
I have several titles with this publisher. They're very professional, and responsive. Editing is good, so is the cover art, and the royalties. The latter come in without fail, on the first of every month. I'd recommend them without hesitation. Total-E-Bound makes a dramatic and most welcome contrast to the deadbeat slags that clutter up the industry.

Extremely good to know, and thanks for sharing.

scarletpeaches
06-14-2011, 06:56 PM
OMG! I hadn't even thought of that. I am always using dreamt and leapt and my old publisher would make me change them. So I won't have to being with a UK publisher? woo hooo!!! I'll finally be able to write the way I want to. I HATE using dreamed and leaped. LOL

And I'm American, by the way. ;-)Even with my American publisher, they don't make me change anything as such, they just 'strongly suggest'. After that, whatever I write has to get past the proofers, so... :Shrug:

With TeB, I get comments in my edits like, "Well it's up to you, but if you leave that in, I'll laugh at you and everyone will think you're a dinosaur. JUST SAYIN'."

So yeah, very professional. :D

Kensington
06-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Extremely good to know, and thanks for sharing.

You're very welcome, Brainstorm, and it's a pleasure to be able to actually recommend a publisher for a change, rather than condemn them. :-)

BTW, all my titles at TEB have been out-of-contract for a while. But I leave them there because I know I couldn't do any better elsewhere.

Good luck with your TEB title.

brainstorm77
06-14-2011, 07:13 PM
You're very welcome, Brainstorm, and it's a pleasure to be able to actually recommend a publisher for a change, rather than condemn them. :-)

BTW, all my titles at TEB have been out-of-contract for a while. But I leave them there because I know I couldn't do any better elsewhere.

Good luck with your TEB title.

Silver-Midnight
12-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Has anyone had any problems with them? Complaints? Issues? Anything?

They really good. Their word count for short stories looks a little on the high end though. However, I'm sure that evens out with everything they provide for their writers. Their definitely a consideration.

firedrake
12-28-2011, 01:27 PM
I've never had any problems with them at all.

They're quick to respond on submissions. I went from submitting the full MS on a Thursday to receiving an offer on the Sunday. But it does depend on how many subs an editor is dealing with.

The content and final line edits are dealt with well ahead of the publication date so there's never any last minute rush. The cover art is done well ahead of publication date. We get a royalty statement every month which shows how many books have sold, whether print or e-book. The royalties are paid monthly directly into my bank account (I live in the UK).

They are very professional and efficient.

SafetyDance
12-28-2011, 09:13 PM
To offer a bit of a different perspective: as a reader, I stopped buying Total E-Bound titles about eighteen months ago because they were pretty damn awful (I buy from a lot of epubs, with Loose iD and Ellora's Cave being faves). I see a fair few AW writers are now with them, so I hope that's a sign that they've progressed (not a dig, just to clarify!).

I have to admit, though--when I came to shop my own stuff, my previous experience was the reason I didn't consider submitting to them. It's a shame because it seems others are pleased with their experience. I hope they continue to grow.

firedrake
12-28-2011, 09:18 PM
To offer a bit of a different perspective: as a reader, I stopped buying Total E-Bound titles about eighteen months ago because they were pretty damn awful (I buy from a lot of epubs, with Loose iD and Ellora's Cave being faves). I see a fair few AW writers are now with them, so I hope that's a sign that they've progressed (not a dig, just to clarify!).

I have to admit, though--when I came to shop my own stuff, my previous experience was the reason I didn't consider submitting to them. It's a shame because it seems others are pleased with their experience. I hope they continue to grow.

Ouch.

TEB have some good writers. I can't vouch for all of them because there are a lot. But Marie Sexton isn't to be sniffed at, nor is our very own Scarlett. My first book has been well received. Given that it's received nominations in three different categories for the M/M Readers' Group on Goodreads, it must be readable (the group has nearly 5k members).

Sorry, you've read some stinkers. But there are some good writers at TEB. Likewise there are some bad writers at some of the other biggies. It's all a matter of taste I suppose.

Silver-Midnight
12-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Well, TEB seems a lot better than some of the other places I recently looked at. I checked out a few of their free reads, and some of them were pretty good. I haven't bought anything from them yet. So, I can't really speak for that section of their site.

scarletpeaches
12-29-2011, 12:34 AM

I have to admit, though--when I came to shop my own stuff, my previous experience was the reason I didn't consider submitting to them. It's a shame because it seems others are pleased with their experience. I hope they continue to grow.The same could be said of any major publisher.

I stopped buying books from one major publisher due to the rapey nature of much of their work. Now, I buy a book here and there to see if their tolerance of forcing sex on their heroines with the excuse "He's a shapeshifter!" has lessened.

Signs are good. But I'm still not sure about subbing there.

Danielle Lisle
01-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Ouch.

Sorry, you've read some stinkers. But there are some good writers at TEB. Likewise there are some bad writers at some of the other biggies. It's all a matter of taste I suppose.

I recently signed with TEB and all I can say is what I’ve seen so far, I’m very happy with.
Before I submitted any MS, I brought books off the publisher’s sites and I must admit I’ve seen some stinkers too. But in saying that there is also some winners. Why is it that the bad always stand out above the good?
Anyway, I submitted to Ellora’s Cave first and waited six months for them to send me a form rejection. I then sent the same MS to TEB and they picked it up in only a few weeks.
I think a lot of the time it comes down to where your MS fits and if the acquiring editor likes your work. I write Regency historical’s and TEB (a UK publisher) obviously saw something in it that Ellora’s Cave didn’t.

firedrake
01-07-2012, 04:35 PM
I recently signed with TEB and all I can say is what I’ve seen so far, I’m very happy with.
Before I submitted any MS, I brought books off the publisher’s sites and I must admit I’ve seen some stinkers too. But in saying that there is also some winners. Why is it that the bad always stand out above the good?
Anyway, I submitted to Ellora’s Cave first and waited six months for them to send me a form rejection. I then sent the same MS to TEB and they picked it up in only a few weeks.
I think a lot of the time it comes down to where your MS fits and if the acquiring editor likes your work. I write Regency historical’s and TEB (a UK publisher) obviously saw something in it that Ellora’s Cave didn’t.

This is my experience too. I subbed Stolen Summer to one of the so-called Big ones and after a revise and resubmit it was kicked back because the editor couldn't connect with the MC. I had this blinding flash of ... something.. and realised it was probably because the novels is very 'British'. So that's when I subbed it to TEB. Best thing I ever did.

areteus
01-08-2012, 04:53 PM
With regards to the comment above about Total e bound posting for more submissions... I've heard rumours that all erotica publishers are short of subs at the moment. They all seem to be pushing for decent content on a number of boards.

Danielle Lisle
01-14-2012, 09:41 AM
that's when I subbed it to TEB. Best thing I ever did.

I feel the same way. :D

brainstorm77
01-31-2012, 02:41 PM
TEB have been great to work with. My sales have been high with them and they always pay on time.

Filigree
01-31-2012, 08:17 PM
I've been reading their submissions guidelines on their site, and I'm a bit confused. Do they want synopsis, first three chapters, and last chapter as attached files in .rtf or .doc format, or in the body of the email?

michael_b
02-01-2012, 12:36 AM
With regards to the comment above about Total e bound posting for more submissions... I've heard rumours that all erotica publishers are short of subs at the moment. They all seem to be pushing for decent content on a number of boards.

The surge of authors convinced that self-publishing is the way to go has left a lot of submission inboxes bereft of publishable work. This is the case with Shadowfire Press as well as a number of other publishers I've conversed with recently.

veinglory
02-01-2012, 12:54 AM
I also think the sheer number of publishers and new digital imprints has created so many avenues for submission that authors are a bit spoiled for choice.

Cassie Knight
02-01-2012, 02:26 AM
Definitely. I work for two houses and while submissions are coming in, it's not to the level they used to get. Although, thank goodness, neither houses have resorted to taking whatever comes in submissions. They are still evaluating the submissions and those with a great story written well are the ones receiving contracts. I know that makes me happy.

scarletpeaches
02-01-2012, 02:27 AM
*drools over shiny new TeB cover art* :drool

Filigree
02-01-2012, 03:35 AM
Squee?

michael_b
02-01-2012, 04:15 AM
I also think the sheer number of publishers and new digital imprints has created so many avenues for submission that authors are a bit spoiled for choice.

That might account for some of it, but I'm hearing stories from other publishers of authors pulling work so they can go the self publishing route.

Of course, some of them then regret the decision and try to come back to the houses from which they pulled said books...

scarletpeaches
02-01-2012, 04:17 AM
That might account for some of it, but I'm hearing stories from other publishers of authors pulling work so they can go the self publishing route.

Of course, some of them then regret the decision and try to come back to the houses from which they pulled said books...I know of more than one author (and I'm going to be discreet for once in my life and keep the names to myself) who has had a falling-out with their editor(s) and done exactly as Michael said -- pulled their books and self-published...this done not with a view to developing their career in a particular way, but simply in a fit of pique.

Just to make it clear -- none of the writers I know who have done this, have been with TeB. It might have happened there, I don't know, but I've not heard of that being the case.

Danielle Lisle
02-12-2012, 09:49 AM
I've been reading their submissions guidelines on their site, and I'm a bit confused. Do they want synopsis, first three chapters, and last chapter as attached files in .rtf or .doc format, or in the body of the email?

Regarding submitting, include your cover letter in the body of the email and attach a single .rtf file with your synopsis and your first three chapters only (or full MS for a short story). They will contact you if they want the remainder.
I have found them very quick in their turnaround and have not had a single problem with them as a publisher.

Filigree
02-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks, Danielle. I ended up doing just that last week. So I have a few weeks to go to hear back.

Silver-Midnight
02-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I think they have a few submission calls up right. I don't know all of them though. The due dates are coming up fast though.

areteus
02-13-2012, 12:10 AM
I am still waiting for one from them... it may be due soon...

Silver-Midnight
02-26-2012, 04:07 AM
Have you heard anything from them yet?

acelticdream
05-12-2012, 09:17 AM
I have kind of an "opposite" question ...

Since they are a UK publisher, do they have a problem taking on works that is written in American English, or would I have to "convert" to British English?

Silver-Midnight
05-12-2012, 09:32 AM
I have kind of an "opposite" question ...

Since they are a UK publisher, do they have a problem taking on works that is written in American English, or would I have to "convert" to British English?

I wouldn't think they'd do that. However, I was wondering about the language differences myself, as far publishing and stuff anyway.

michael_b
05-12-2012, 09:57 AM
I suspect there isn't a problem vis-a-vis American vs British English. If they want something done in 'the Queen's English' I'm sure they convert it themselves. Most publishers correct things like that as part of the edit, usually with a notation on their preferred house style.

Adam
05-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Yup, they'll switch it for you.

firedrake
05-12-2012, 12:31 PM
What Adam said.

The editors will change to UK spelling and point it out in 'track changes'.

TEB has a lot of authors from the US so it's second nature for the editors to do the changes.

brainstorm77
05-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I wanted to chime in by saying that my experiences with TEB have been good all around.

acelticdream
05-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone! =)

brainstorm77
05-14-2012, 06:03 PM
As far as complaints go, I heard her say once that TEB have a rule that, for the first three months, you can only sell your books via the site and sales over there are kind of slow? After three months, they'll start selling your book on Amazon and other stores.

This is true, but my onsite sales have been good. I guess it depends on the book/author.

TEBeditor
05-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Just to clarify the post above, I'm the friend Pinguicha posted about (I'm a TEB author and also an editor for them). Sales info at TEB is actually confidential between the CEO of the company, the publisher and the author, so I don't know how any of our other authors sell. I'm just going from my own experience - I tend to sell better on distributor sites (Fictionwise in particular) than I do on the TEB site, but I think it varies from genre to genre and author to author.

In my editor role, I haven't heard any complaints about initial royalties from any of the authors I manage, so I'm pretty sure it's just me. :) I'd come clean about my author pseudonym, but for confidentiality reasons I have to keep my editor and author roles separate.

Hope that makes sense! I'd hate to think anyone was put off submitting to the publisher I love so much that I applied to work for them, just because of my own slow start with sales. I've published with other places as well, but with TEB I just seemed to click.

Plus, if there's a better small press cover artist out there than TEB's Posh Gosh, I haven't found one yet. ;)

firedrake
05-18-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm another one whose on-site sales have been good.

I'm with TEB for the long haul. Where else would I get such brilliant covers?

*pets Endersley cover*

Lorna Peel
05-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Are there any other UK based e-publishers out there?

brainstorm77
05-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Are there any other UK based e-publishers out there?

Xcite Books: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130395&highlight=xcite+books

I'm sure there are others, but this one stuck out to me for the erotica and erotic romance genre.

michael_b
05-19-2012, 11:01 PM
I know some of the authors with this press and they only have good things to say about Total e-Bound.

TEB has been added to my list of possible publishers. These days it's a very short list. *sigh*

greeneyes
09-01-2012, 02:09 AM
I'm so happy I can finally share the news! My story has been accepted by Total-E-Bound for its Emergency Servicing-Medical Anthology. I received the news a couple of weeks back but didn't want to announce anything until I signed the contracts, which I did today! :D

I'm really excited and looking forward to working with this publisher. I owe this board and this thread a debt of thanks for the information and insight shared.

WildScribe
09-01-2012, 02:26 AM
Xcite Books: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130395&highlight=xcite+books

I'm sure there are others, but this one stuck out to me for the erotica and erotic romance genre.

Also HarperCollins Mischief.

imogenenix
10-16-2012, 07:55 AM
This is all great news. I have an R&R with them at the moment :)

greeneyes
10-17-2012, 03:45 AM

Good luck!

imogenenix
10-17-2012, 04:35 AM
Thanks greeneyes... I have no idea how I am going to stay level headed for the next little while... :Shrug:

michael_b
10-17-2012, 05:31 AM

Congratulations! Good luck with the revision.

imogenenix
10-24-2012, 07:29 AM
And received an offer this morning. Wahoo!

michael_b
10-24-2012, 08:18 AM

Congratulations.

Anna_Hedley
10-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Hi. This might not be the best place for this, very sorry if it isn't, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether Total E Bound accepts femdomme works? I looked through most of their BDSM section (admittedly not all of them) and all of the works I could see seemed to be either M/M or male dome/female sub(s) but I couldn't see anything expressly forbidding works that didn't fit that format either. Could anyone clarify for me please?

firedrake
10-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Hi. This might not be the best place for this, very sorry if it isn't, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether Total E Bound accepts femdomme works? I looked through most of their BDSM section (admittedly not all of them) and all of the works I could see seemed to be either M/M or male dome/female sub(s) but I couldn't see anything expressly forbidding works that didn't fit that format either. Could anyone clarify for me please?

Yes they do. I've certainly read a book they published, 'Shadow and Darkness' by Natalie Dae. Both of the MCs are dommes working in a 'private establishment'.

Anna_Hedley
10-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Yes they do. I've certainly read a book they published, 'Shadow and Darkness' by Natalie Dae. Both of the MCs are dommes working in a 'private establishment'.

Excellent. Thank you very much for your help.

michael_b
10-25-2012, 01:28 AM

This is good to know since I have this story arc with a domme.

greeneyes
10-25-2012, 07:16 AM

Congrats!! :partyguy:

Eriador117
10-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Congrats :)

michael_b
10-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Some Numbers:
Submitted on 10/8
R&R 10/25
Resubbed 10/26
Offer 10/27

EDITED TO ADD: Declined the contract. Took them over 4 months to actually send the contract.

imogenenix
10-27-2012, 02:15 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm very pleased.

Just some dates from my perspective:

Subbed 2 Oct
R&R Rec'd 13 Oct
Re-subbed 16 Oct
Offer 24 Oct

E. S. Lark
03-14-2013, 04:17 AM
I have seven titles with TEB. My first offer was last January, which released August 2012.

They do a decent amount of edits, and I love their covers.

That said, I'm not subbing any of my new stuff to them due to lower sales than I'd like, their ebook pricing compared to other publishers and the one month exclusivity they have on their site before releasing the titles elsewhere.

There are authors who have done very well with TEB, but even after a year, I can still only afford a small dinner, while my wages from other publishers are substantially higher.

Like I said, some authors do very well, and as much as I love my editor and their cover art, it just hasn't worked out for me.

You mileage may vary. Good luck.

E. S. Lark
03-14-2013, 04:31 AM
Of course.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

elindsen
04-30-2013, 02:29 AM
MS sent:Feb 17
R&R asked: March 20
R&R sent: March 26
Editor on vacation notice until April 8
R&R asked second time: April 11
R&R sent: April 11
Contract offered April 14

greeneyes
04-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Congrats!! :partyguy:

I have a couple of stories with TEB and I'm very happy there.

elindsen
04-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks. I'm waiting to hear back on a contract question before I sign. They have gorgeous covers and from what I've heard great editing. Can't wait.

WriteMinded
04-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Many congratulations to you!

Happy Jack
08-11-2013, 11:11 PM
I've read a couple of books from TEB recently and the editing was DIRE. Even to the point of not using American English in books set in America and containing American characters. Typos, formatting glitches, and even downright spelling mistakes.

I'd be embarrassed to put my work out with them at the moment.

Also, I don't now how authors are supposed to make money when they give away all their stuff for free, or at 99c.

Not for me.

nkkingston
08-11-2013, 11:21 PM
To be fair, quite a lot of books from US publishers set in Britain with British characters don't use British English.

greeneyes
08-12-2013, 03:07 AM
The $0.99 price applies to the first book in a series and Total-E-Bound gives the author the option of not participating in the promotion.

I have several books with Total-E-Bound and another coming out in November. Each book of mine has undergone several rounds of editing, but obviously I can't speak to every book published there. However, I'm happy and proud to be published by Total-E-Bound.

gingerwoman
08-12-2013, 03:25 AM
I've read a couple of books from TEB recently and the editing was DIRE. Even to the point of not using American English in books set in America and containing American characters. Typos, formatting glitches, and even downright spelling mistakes.

I'd be embarrassed to put my work out with them at the moment.

Also, I don't now how authors are supposed to make money when they give away all their stuff for free, or at 99c.

Not for me.
lol it seems publishers can't win. Total Ebound started doing that for promotion because of authors complaining that their books weren't selling well because they couldn't compete with all the self published authors offering books so cheap.
This is a great move for Total Ebound! They aren't giving all their books away at those prices, just a few to drive interest. The reason you're seeing all those books at those prices must be that you are looking at the best seller lists.

michael_b
09-19-2013, 03:59 AM
I declined their contract because it is nothing short of awful. PM me if you want details.

c.m.n.
10-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Total E Bound has rebranded themselves including changing their name to Totally Bound.

Any old links will still direct to the new address, but here it is:

http://totallybound.com/

Filigree
10-15-2013, 02:44 AM
That actually makes a hell of a lot of sense.

veinglory
10-15-2013, 02:47 AM
I went all over the website looking to see if they are romance-only or all-genre but romance focused. Couldn't find an answer.

c.m.n.
10-15-2013, 03:04 AM
Yeah, their new website is hard to read, imo.

The main issue I had was the text: It's too "pretty", and bright colored on white background, plus certain letters for me look weird. Took me a while to find my name under the "authors" tab because the letters are missing lines ? I may end up contacting them about that last bit.

Also, you have to scroll down to see their new releases, coming soon releases, etc...

I don't know, I much preferred their older site. But I do look forward to their new "publishers" site with information for aspiring authors and contracted authors. I'm hoping this might (finally) include the opportunity to get sales data (real-time?) from their site.

ETA: Veinglory, if you have a look at the page entitled "Authors", you're greeted with a paragraph about what TB is looking for -- erotic romance authors.

girlyswot
10-15-2013, 03:42 AM
That new logo is very clever and very nicely done.

veinglory
10-15-2013, 04:30 AM
I see it now. "The home of erotic romance". That's ... confident.

Lyrainthedark
10-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Hello all! Brand new to these forums, and this site, because it looked like this might be a good place to soothe my seething brain.

I recently had my debut novel and its series accepted for publication by TEB, and I've been waiting for them to send me my contract. It's been three weeks, and since I haven't any clue how long this usually takes, I thought I'd ask: how long should I expect to wait before I actually receive the contract? I'd rather not harass my editor, but I'm getting...antsy, especially since they use e-signature processes and not snail mail.

firedrake
10-31-2013, 11:48 AM
i think some of their staff were at GLR and that may have led to a bit of a hold up in issuing contracts. Plus, I'm guessing they were pretty busy with the re-branding.
Worth dropping your editor a line. I'm sure they won't mind. :)

Lyrainthedark
10-31-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm sure you're right - I noticed the new website several days ago and I've been waiting to see what kind of publisher site they come up with. Excuse my ignorance, but what's GLR? Some kind of publisher...meeting thing?

firedrake
10-31-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm sure you're right - I noticed the new website several days ago and I've been waiting to see what kind of publisher site they come up with. Excuse my ignorance, but what's GLR? Some kind of publisher...meeting thing?

It's a big LGBT readers/authors convention that's held in the US every year. Publishers sponsor events there and I do know that TEB had three staff members there this year, including the person who deals with the contract requests.

Lyrainthedark
10-31-2013, 06:14 PM
It's a big LGBT readers/authors convention that's held in the US every year. Publishers sponsor events there and I do know that TEB had three staff members there this year, including the person who deals with the contract requests.

Thanks so much! That makes a good deal of sense; now I can hope they get caught up with their backlog soon instead of being afraid I'm forgotten!

elindsen
11-01-2013, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't worry either. My editor accepted my book and I think it took around 18 days to get my contract. Yes, like Mouse said, I believe they group and send out in batches. If you're worried, ask. I told my editor up front that this was my first go-around and she was very cool about it. She emailed back and said I would get this, possibly around then, cover art would come around X, edits around Y, ect.

Silver-Midnight
11-02-2013, 09:46 AM
The new website looks nice. It is pretty. But I have to admit that it's hard for me to navigate.

Has anyone found their submission calls page yet?

gingerwoman
11-02-2013, 11:47 AM
There is a link under "Authors", but it only leads to the email address for submission with a note saying that more information will be coming soon.

Lyrainthedark
11-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the information! Apparently posting here was a better idea than I thought; one of the publishers from TEB saw my post here as well and sent me an email message; certainly not my intention but very promising!

Also, their submission page appears to be becoming part of their new publishers/authors site, which is coming soon.

PS: this bit of communication from the publisher just adds to the excellent experience I've had with TEB so far - should teach me not to get paranoid!

c.m.n.
11-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Hope this is okay to add here:

For anyone looking for their submissions guidelines, this is the most recent snapshot from "Wayback Machine" before TEB changed their website. I do believe these guidelines are still correct.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130815044546/http://www.total-e-bound.com/submissionguidelines.asp

elindsen
01-08-2014, 10:36 PM
UPDATE:

My first book, a "Lust Bite", was contracted in April 2013. It was released for pre-order in September 2013, and general released in October 2013. So, in the four months it's been available for purchase, I've sold...1 copy. ONE!

I've done blog tours, giveaways, social media...Nothing. I've asked for rights back but the best I get is that it will be marked in their calendar for when the contract is up.

I liked my editor, and I do think my cover art is good. But, I will never send another thing to them. One copy sold is more than ridiculous. I'd recommend people avoid these guys. I know from speaking with several of their authors that I'm not the only one with bad sales.

triceretops
01-09-2014, 02:55 AM
I've done blog tours, giveaways, social media...Nothing. I've asked for rights back but the best I get is that it will be marked in their calendar for when the contract is up.

Oh, man do I hear you loud and clear on that. I've also blasted my book/s with every conceivable social media tactic known in the universe. I have wasted hundreds of hours pushing, exposing, announcing and asking. Nothing so far has worked. My campaign worked about a year ago, I could always pick up several sales from some type of event. It's not working for me now and I'm kind of at wit's end.

tri

HSLane
03-18-2014, 10:40 PM
I sent in the query and manuscript for my short story on the 28th, and got a reply on the 17th offering a contract and a question about turning the short into the first of a series (which I planned to do). I was originally pretty excited (it's the second contract offer I've gotten for it), but reading the stuff on the last page has kind of made me rethink it.

Lyrainthedark
04-14-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm quite surprised to see the bad turn this thread has taken since I was here last - I found it in my bookmarks when I was cleaning them out, and checked mostly for fun, but I think a bit of the other side is warranted here.

Firstly, I found TB's contract excellent, with terms profitable both to me and to TB, as it should be.
Secondly, while I am sorry to hear of a sad experience such as selling only one book, I can't equate it with my own at all. My debut novel is still on early release, meaning it won't even be available off Totally Bound's website until May 9th, but I'd already sold at least a half dozen copies to random people in my Nanowrimo group when it was on pre-order. Considering it's the debut novel, first in a series, of a debut author, I find that quite encouraging - and of course that's only the books that have been sold that I personally know about, because individuals have commented on posts and such.

Those of you considering contracting with TB, please make your own decisions based on what you feel is best for your book with this in mind as well as what others have said. It saddens me to see much negativity here when I, at least have had such an excellent experience!

WriteMinded
04-15-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm quite surprised to see the bad turn this thread has taken since I was here last - I found it in my bookmarks when I was cleaning them out, and checked mostly for fun, but I think a bit of the other side is warranted here.

Firstly, I found TB's contract excellent, with terms profitable both to me and to TB, as it should be.
Secondly, while I am sorry to hear of a sad experience such as selling only one book, I can't equate it with my own at all. My debut novel is still on early release, meaning it won't even be available off Totally Bound's website until May 9th, but I'd already sold at least a half dozen copies to random people in my Nanowrimo group when it was on pre-order. Considering it's the debut novel, first in a series, of a debut author, I find that quite encouraging - and of course that's only the books that have been sold that I personally know about, because individuals have commented on posts and such.

Those of you considering contracting with TB, please make your own decisions based on what you feel is best for your book with this in mind as well as what others have said. It saddens me to see much negativity here when I, at least have had such an excellent experience!Hope you will let us know what happens after May 9th.

shelleyo
04-15-2014, 06:24 PM

So, to your knowledge, you've sold 6 copies?

Lyrainthedark
06-02-2014, 02:48 PM
A small update: I continue to be pleased with Totally Bound on all fronts. My book reached three bestseller lists thanks to their excellent handling, and with minimal marketing on my behalf. This includes reaching #11 in its genre on ARe, spending a few weeks between the top 35 and top 60 in its genre on amazon, and being nominated in several "best debut" lists on goodreads. Their payment of royalties has been timely and well documented, so it's easy to keep track of what books are being sold.
I definitely recommend them to any romance author!

https://www.totallybound.com/dark-side-of-the-sun
https://www.totallybound.com/image/cache/data/Covers/D/darksideofthesun_exlarge_PNG-210x336.png

elindsen
06-02-2014, 10:56 PM
My update: I've sold about 27 copies, which is a far cry from my 1 a few posts back. The thing I'm wondering is length. My book is in their Lust Bite line. So maybe the shorts don't sell that well? I do think the price is a bit high, but some publishers can get away with that. I am happy my sales picked up, but I'm not sure I couldn't have at least matched that on my own.

Again, editing was excellent. I loved my editor and I think she is amazing. The cover art is always gorgeous, but sales are not good. My other current publisher sells that much opening month, not over the span of 6 months.

c.m.n.
08-23-2014, 03:40 AM
There are no email addresses listed on their site. My email attempts are bouncing. Does anyone know who to contact about contracts?

brainstorm77
01-23-2015, 07:10 PM
I got an email from them today announcing they are creating separate imprints for their GLBT fiction, crime/thrillers, and YA. Totally Bound will be reserved for their hetero fiction. The imprints are:

Finch Books: YA
Pride Publishing: Gay Fiction
Evidence Press: Crime/Thriller

sharkjumper
01-30-2015, 09:21 PM
I know some pubs sell M/F romance better than others and I'm considering subbing my M/F steamy romance to Totally Bound, but I'm wondering how they sell?

Thanks in Advance.

amergina
02-02-2015, 11:56 PM
I got an email from them today announcing they are creating separate imprints for their GLBT fiction, crime/thrillers, and YA. Totally Bound will be reserved for their hetero fiction. The imprints are:

Finch Books: YA
Pride Publishing: GLBT
Evidence Press: Crime/Thriller

Can anyone confirm if the Pride Publishing imprint is actually GLBT? Or is it just Gay Fiction, like their submission page suggests?

brainstorm77
02-03-2015, 12:43 AM
Can anyone confirm if the Pride Publishing imprint is actually GLBT? Or is it just Gay Fiction, like their submission page suggests?

They do publish gay, lesbian, and bisexual fiction. I haven't seen anything with transgendered characters from them. I went back and looked at the email again and it states 'gay fiction'. I'm assuming that is inclusive, but I could be wrong. I guess for anyone who is curious the best thing is to shoot them an email. I will correct my other posting to make it accurate in this thread.

Added Note: I have always enjoyed working with this publisher, and whenever I have had to ask questions they have been quick to answer.

SarahSmea
02-04-2015, 04:23 PM
:hi:

I'm Sarah, Senior Editor for the Totally Entwined Group.

2015 sees the birth of three new publishing houses in addition to Totally Bound: Finch Books, Pride Publishing and Evidence Press, diversifying and expanding the group.

Finch Books submission call

Guidelines:

Finch Books is actively acquiring quintessential YA literature that is enlightening and influential, typically consistent with the age and experience of the main character and his or her journey.
• 30 - 80k word count per story.
• Send us stories to inspire, featuring memorable characters, an authentic voice and moving plots that contain real-life or coming-of-age situations young people can relate to.
Please send your full manuscripts to submissions@totallyentwined.com with the header Finch Books Submission along with a synopsis in the first instance. We look forward to hearing from you.

If you have any questions please let me know :-)

Sarah

Unimportant
02-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Adding link: http://www.totallyboundpublishing.com/about-us/

And adding: the four "entwined" imprints are YA, crime/thriller, gay, and erotic romance (in case that might be a conflict of interest for anyone).

Unimportant
02-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Reading through this thread, they sound established and legit, but their new "Entwined" website (http://www.totallyboundpublishing.com/about-us/) says:

The team at Totally Entwined provide a unique service to our authors and readers. We are a royalty paying, full-service Publisher. This means that there are no fees to the author to become published with us.
unique /= standard

I checked the submission guidelines for their Pride imprint, but all it says is
Pride Publishing is currently acquiring fabulous gay fiction from new and existing authors. All genres considered.

There was, once upon a time, a notion that fiction more often than not had to include a hero and heroine at the center of it. Times have changed. This is the revolution, this is where we stand proud to say that gay fiction now has an independent place to call home, and this is your chance to become a part of it.
gay =/ GLBTQ

Filigree
02-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Interesting. I've held off querying them again, because of some privately-shared editing and sales issues from other authors.

I wish more e-rom pubs would figure out gay is *not* GLBTQ.

SarahSmea
02-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Just to clarify, Totally Entwined is a group. Totally Bound (Erotic Romance), Finch Books (YA Fiction), Pride Publishing (Gay Fiction) and Evidence Press (Crime and Thriller) are all individual publishing houses that are run separately from each other.

Undercover
02-05-2015, 11:18 PM
Are there advances? What are the royalties? Is there a site I can go to?

SarahSmea
02-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Yes, for more information please head to our Totally Entwined website (http://www.totallyboundpublishing.com/submissions/submission-calls/)

Thanks,
Sarah

oceansoul
02-08-2015, 09:00 PM
I've had a browse of the website, but I can't find a few bits of critical information on the new imprints.

Will Finch books be released in ebook and print? Will their release be simultaneous on Amazon?

SarahSmea
02-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Yes, all of the publishing houses under Totally Entwined Group will be book ebook and print. For details around royalties head here (http://www.totallyboundpublishing.com/submissions/submission-calls/)

As with our flagship publishing house, Totally Bound, we will indeed be releasing our books through the usual retail outlets as well. Hope this helps :)

SarahSmea
03-04-2015, 06:52 PM

I'm Sarah, senior editor at Totally Entwined Group. Just wanted to let you guys know of some really exciting changes that are happening over here.

Our flagship publishing house, Totally Bound Publishing, has been offering Erotic Romance books for eight years, working with more than 400 authors, and releasing six – nine books per week.

2015 sees the birth of three new publishing houses: Finch Books (YA Fiction), Pride Publishing (GLBTQI fiction) and Evidence Press (Crime/Thriller), diversifying and expanding the group.

For more detailed info please head to our website, where you can check out our new guidelines (http://www.totallyboundpublishing.com/submissions/submission-guidelines/).

quicklime
03-04-2015, 07:42 PM
I suspect your thread is going to get shuttled to Promotions or Announcements or whatever shortly, but congrats on the new divisions

SarahSmea
03-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Not a problem, I'm pretty new to AW, so just wanted to share the word where I thought people might be interested :-)

amergina
03-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Yup, it'll get moved, since Novels isn't the place for promo or announcements. :)

But I need to discuss with the other room mods where the best place for this thread to go is so it's not bounced around AW.

Please stand by. ;)

hikarinotsubasa
03-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Are the print books returnable? Has anyone actually seen books from this press in stores?

triceretops
03-26-2015, 06:50 AM
An offer here for my YA urban fantasy. They'd like me to be part of the first batch of Finch titles launched. Very nice comments from someone who actually read the book and "got" it. And wouldn't you know it, I'm having computer meltdown problems right now that hampered my opening their attachments for writer bio and such. This sucks. I'm getting download failure and timeout notices.

Otherwise, very welcomed and happy news.

chris

Undercover
03-26-2015, 07:26 PM
An offer here for my YA urban fantasy. They'd like me to be part of the first batch of Finch titles launched. Very nice comments from someone who actually read the book and "got" it. And wouldn't you know it, I'm having computer meltdown problems right now that hampered my opening their attachments for writer bio and such. This sucks. I'm getting download failure and timeout notices.

Otherwise, very welcomed and happy news.

chris

YAY!!! Happy day!!! (sorry about the computer problems tho) but this is great news. You'll have to fill us in on how it goes. Congrats, C!!! and I was just saying about wanting to hear good news too, haha!

triceretops
03-26-2015, 09:03 PM
Thanks, lil bud. You're the apple of my eye.

I just fixed the computer problem--it was truly one of the dumbest mistakes I've ever made in my life. Short version--the wall where the telephone jack wire comes out goes to a small box with two hookups. One is Phone and one is DSL. When i disconnected that line and pressure cleaned the fitting last week, I plugged it back into the Phone side instead of the DSL side. Which slowed down everything--like running on regular phone modem or some such thing.

Happy day, unless I'm mistaken. Computers is balls to the wall now at the present. It damn well better keep that up.

tri

SarahSmea
05-08-2015, 07:13 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share our latest Pride open submission call;

Pride Publishing Submission Call
The written word can remain with a reader for a lifetime, such is the power of literature.
Pride Publishing is actively acquiring empowering, enchanting and endearing storylines that are sure to capture the reader’s imaginations from start to finish. We’re looking for contemporary stories with lead characters who identify as GLBTQI. 10-100k words. Series and serials will be also be considered. Please send your full manuscripts to submissions@totallyentwined.com with the header Pride Publishing Submission along with a synopsis in the first instance. We look forward to hearing from you.

Any questions, please feel free to shout :-)

Thanks,

Sarah

oceansoul
05-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Sarah,

I have a question on your Pride imprint. I submitted my last YA novel to Finch. It contains lesbian romance.

I received an R&R request which, although I think it was intended to be nice/and I genuinely believe the person writing it liked the story and wanted me to resubmit, it really made me doubt how LGBTQ friendly Totally Bound really is a company. I am happy to forward you this email. I was told that they would love to publish my book *if* I took out the lesbian elements and made the girls buddies because historically f/f does not sell for Totally Bound.

This makes me wonder -- is this stance unique to the Finch imprint? Are you not publishing f/f YA at all? There are many great M/M imprints and publishers -- Dreamspinner, the parent company of Harmony Ink, who signed the manuscript in question, only publishes M/M Romance while Harmony Ink does the full LGTBIQA spectrum. However, they are upfront about what they publish and their market, as are lesbian romance only publishers like Bella Books.

My question in all this is -- is it worth authors time to submit lesbian, bisexual, queer-spectrum etc. books to your Pride Imprint, or are you actually only looking for M/M?

Filigree
05-09-2015, 06:17 AM
I'd really like an answer to this question, too.

triceretops
05-09-2015, 01:11 PM

I'm Sarah, senior editor at Totally Entwined Group. Just wanted to let you guys know of some really exciting changes that are happening over here.

Our flagship publishing house, Totally Bound Publishing, has been offering Erotic Romance books for eight years, working with more than 400 authors, and releasing six – nine books per week.

2015 sees the birth of three new publishing houses: Finch Books (YA Fiction), Pride Publishing (GLBTQI fiction) and Evidence Press (Crime/Thriller), diversifying and expanding the group.

For more detailed info please head to our website, where you can check out our new guidelines (http://www.totallyboundpublishing.com/submissions/submission-guidelines/).

Hi, Sara. Thought this might be quicker--I was offered a contract and my agent is hard to get a hold of right now, but she's well aware of the offer. My apologies--you are at the top of our list. I ask you to please be patient with us and we'll get to you. Toss me on the back-burner like a fat hamburger. I haven't forgot about Totally Bound.

Sincerely,

Chris Stevenson

Tink01
05-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Hi guys,
was just wondering if anyone has sent a submission to totally bound recently and if so and you have heard from them, what was the turn around time?

BarbaraSheridan
05-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Hi guys,
was just wondering if anyone has sent a submission to totally bound recently and if so and you have heard from them, what was the turn around time?

I subbed to the new Finch Books imprint March 7 and haven't heard back yet.

Tink01
05-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Thanks for reply Barbara. I take it they are busy with submissions then. Thought I might get lucky and get a quick response as a couple of people on here have had replies within a couple of weeks. Let's hope that waiting longer means good news.

ironmikezero
05-12-2015, 09:12 PM
They've expressed interest in a M/T/S of mine for the new Evidence Press imprint, tentatively scheduled for (imprint) launch in November 2015.

I queried in early March; the response was a bit over three weeks. By late April the manuscript was forwarded to an editor, and I was advised to await further contact. I've not yet been made an offer, or seen a contract . . . bear in mind only interest has been expressed thus far.

Since I'm not certain of their protocols/procedures, I've elected to remain patient. After all, the workload stress of launching a handful of new imprints almost simultaneously must be staggering; the logistics alone could set one's head to spinning.

Under the circumstances, patience may be well advised for all who have subbed. Good Luck to All!

P.S., Sarah has been a sweetheart to deal with...

triceretops
05-13-2015, 05:28 AM
Hi guys,

If I forgot to say it, my response from sub to offer was 53 days. Hope that helps.

Tink01
05-14-2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the responses.
Triceretops how are you finding them as a publisher?

J.S.F.
05-15-2015, 02:55 AM
I just got an e-mail from them saying that they want my YA novel The Menagerie. I'll check out the information and see how it goes. All these books coming out...my brain is going to explode... :)

triceretops
05-15-2015, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the responses.
Triceretops how are you finding them as a publisher?

Well, I'm still new, and waiting for my agent and I to receive the contract so we can gander at them. As far as my research and correspondence with them, I think they are a very promising small/independent, as far as that goes. They have good reps all around. I think they had an incredible amount of top 100 Amazon hits for their romance line. The Finch line for YA is going to be a new launch.

Tri

SarahSmea
05-20-2015, 06:56 PM
Hi guys,

Finch Books are pleased to welcome Epic Fantasy titles. Your story will feature an original plot, spanning a trilogy of novels and following your protagonist on a journey that encompasses several years. Based in an alternate reality or an entirely new, undiscovered world, your relatable characters will face their trials and tribulations alongside their eclectic mix of friends and foe, be they mythological, unique creatures or more familiar beings. Immerse your readers in their adventures and inspire them with your characters’ integrity and strength. See what our submission image (http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/sarahsmeaton/media/EpicFantasy_SubCall_zpsdnzptc99.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0) says to you. We’re looking for 30 - 80k per book in the trilogy. In the first instance, please send your series synopsis to submissions@totallyentwined.com with the header Finch Books Submission. We look forward to hearing from you.

For more information about guidelines and exciting opportunities with Finch please head to our website (http://www.totallyboundpublishing.com/submissions/submission-guidelines/).

If you have any questions or would like to know anything else I'd love to help out :hooray:

Thanks,

Sarah—Senior Editor, Totally Entwined Group.

JaneD
05-21-2015, 01:17 AM
Hi Sarah, I've sent off an email asking this question but it won't hurt to ask it twice—do you accept previously self-published novels?
Thanks!

SarahSmea
05-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Hi Jane,
Yes we certainly would consider previously self-published novels as long as the author owns all of the rights. Look forward to hearing more :)

SarahSmea
05-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Hi, Sara. Thought this might be quicker--I was offered a contract and my agent is hard to get a hold of right now, but she's well aware of the offer. My apologies--you are at the top of our list. I ask you to please be patient with us and we'll get to you. Toss me on the back-burner like a fat hamburger. I haven't forgot about Totally Bound.

Sincerely,

Chris Stevenson

Hi Chris,

Sorry I do try to get on here as often as I can, but seemed to have neglected it for a while. My email is sarah.smeaton@totallybound.com if you need anything urgent :-) Thanks for the update, that's no problem at all. Looking forward to having you on board :) Thanks, Sarah

oceansoul
05-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Hi Sarah,

I asked a question over on the other thread, but I think this one is possibly more relevant. Does your Finch imprint accept submissions for LGBTQ YA books, or does Pride publisher YA?

SarahSmea
05-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Sarah,

I have a question on your Pride imprint. I submitted my last YA novel to Finch. It contains lesbian romance.

I received an R&R request which, although I think it was intended to be nice/and I genuinely believe the person writing it liked the story and wanted me to resubmit, it really made me doubt how LGBTQ friendly Totally Bound really is a company. I am happy to forward you this email. I was told that they would love to publish my book *if* I took out the lesbian elements and made the girls buddies because historically f/f does not sell for Totally Bound.

This makes me wonder -- is this stance unique to the Finch imprint? Are you not publishing f/f YA at all? There are many great M/M imprints and publishers -- Dreamspinner, the parent company of Harmony Ink, who signed the manuscript in question, only publishes M/M Romance while Harmony Ink does the full LGTBIQA spectrum. However, they are upfront about what they publish and their market, as are lesbian romance only publishers like Bella Books.

My question in all this is -- is it worth authors time to submit lesbian, bisexual, queer-spectrum etc. books to your Pride Imprint, or are you actually only looking for M/M?

Hi,
Sorry for my delayed reply, I don't always get on here as much as I'd like.
It appears that there has been some miscommunication somewhere along the line and we would like to clarify so that authors are aware of what we accept in each publishing house within the Totally Entwined Group.

The new group structure and publishing houses within it can be found here (http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/sarahsmeaton/media/TotallyEntwinedGroup_Tree_zpsmbhggi9k.png.html?sor t=3&o=0)

Totally Bound Publishing: Historically we have published MF, MM, and ménage erotic romance for the most part. Moving forward Totally Bound will accept MF & MFM ménage books in any genre.
Pride publishing: We accept MM, FF, MMF, FFM, Trans, Questioning, Queer, Intersex (the full spectrum of GLBTQI). Pride is open to publication for all categories of GLBTQI adult fiction both erotic or non-erotic and in any genre.
Finch Books: We accept all Young Adult and New Adult in any pairing and any genre. No erotic content will be accepted in this house. Content must be appropriate to the age and plotline.
Evidence Press: We accept crime/thriller/suspense stories.

Obviously there will be a transition period from where Totally Bound stops publishing GLBTQ and where Pride takes over, and that will occur when we launch the Pride Publishing store in July.

If you have any further questions please contact Nicki Richards @ nicki.richards@totallybound.com. She is more than happy to answer any questions. :)

SarahSmea
05-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Hi Sarah,

I asked a question over on the other thread, but I think this one is possibly more relevant. Does your Finch imprint accept submissions for LGBTQ YA books, or does Pride publisher YA?

Thanks for the question. Finch Books is open to submissions of GLBTQI YA fiction that is age appropriate. Pride Publishing is open to submissions of GLBTQI but does not publish YA fiction. Hope that clarifies. :) Thanks, Sarah

thethinker42
05-21-2015, 06:54 PM
I'm very confused about how this...

Thanks for the question. Finch Books is open to submissions of GLBTQI YA fiction that is age appropriate. Pride Publishing is open to submissions of GLBTQI but does not publish YA fiction. Hope that clarifies. :) Thanks, Sarah

...meshes with this:

(bolding mine)

Is F/F accepted or not?

SarahSmea
05-21-2015, 07:01 PM
I'm very confused about how this...

...meshes with this:

(bolding mine)

Is F/F accepted or not?

Finch Books considers each submission on a book by book basis and will accept age-appropriate FF submissions, yes. If you'd like to discuss specific stories or synopses please email submissions@totallyentwined.com and either I or Rebecca Douglas will be happy to answer any queries :)

thethinker42
05-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Finch Books considers each submission on a book by book basis and will accept age-appropriate FF submissions, yes. If you'd like to discuss specific stories or synopses please email submissions@totallyentwined.com and either I or Rebecca Douglas will be happy to answer any queries :)

Right, but the user above specifically stated that their book was rejected *because* of the lesbian romance element. The author was specifically advised to make the characters "buddies" rather than romantic partners because lesbian romance doesn't sell.

But here, we're being told that lesbian (and other queer identities/pairings) are accepted. That's a pretty strong contradiction, hence the confusion.

oceansoul
05-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what I wanted clarified as well. I was asked specifically to resubmit, but to remove the lesbian element of the story because F/F didn't sell.

thethinker42
05-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what I wanted clarified as well. I was asked specifically to resubmit, but to remove the lesbian element of the story because F/F didn't sell.

Exactly. It'd be one thing if it was too hot for the imprint, or if the lesbian content wasn't handled well, or whatever. But "we won't accept X because it doesn't sell" when "X" is specifically listed as something that is accepted...is problematic. If it's not accepted, then it should be stated upfront so authors don't waste their time.

JaneD
06-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Has anyone signed with Finch Books yet? Seen the contract?

triceretops
06-15-2015, 03:54 AM
My agent and I are still in negotiations with them, for the Finch line. Yes, I've seen the contract, but can't dispel anything at this time. Needless to say, it needs a little work to be favorable, but this is not outside the skills of an agent or author. The Finch line will be a huge launch for them--that's my understanding.

JaneD
06-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Thanks Triceratops! Contracts scare the daylights out of me.

triceretops
06-15-2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks Triceratops! Contracts scare the daylights out of me.

Oh, yes, ditto on that one. Legalize is not my normal language.

c.m.n.
06-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Just got an email that Totally Bound is now part of the adult fiction division of Bonnier Publishing. They have bought out the entire company and its imprints.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/bonnier-buys-totally-entwined-group-304986

(http://www.thebookseller.com/news/bonnier-buys-totally-entwined-group-304986)

oceansoul
06-26-2015, 07:37 PM
This is very, very good for Totally Bound authors and anyone considering signing with them. Bonnier's imprints have great distribution. The company I work for does extensive trading with Templar in particular for children's books. If they're taking over, then it's probable that the new Finch imprint will do well and become available through mainline distributors ... but eventually, as it wouldn't happen overnight I'm sure.

I still would really like to know the answer to the LGBTQ submissions for Finch question, though!

triceretops
06-26-2015, 11:25 PM
This is very, very good for Totally Bound authors and anyone considering signing with them. Bonnier's imprints have great distribution. The company I work for does extensive trading with Templar in particular for children's books. If they're taking over, then it's probable that the new Finch imprint will do well and become available through mainline distributors ... but eventually, as it wouldn't happen overnight I'm sure.

I still would really like to know the answer to the LGBTQ submissions for Finch question, though!

OMG, this is a massive and a very lucrative, distribution thrust in the right direction. My agent is still in negotiations with them at this time. And I'm right in the Finch line, one of the lines they want to spend time on and expand.

Aside from the writing end of it, I swear that the crew from the TEG has been so comforting and friendly (multiple hugs from all directions) that I'd love to work with any of the staff. They're right on the ball, efficient and accommodating. I' think it's time I call the agent and let her know about this buy-out. I see nothing but good in it. Bonnier is more than huge--they're a North European legacy over 200 years old.

Filigree
06-26-2015, 11:30 PM
That's very good news - potentially puts the Totally Bound lines into similar ranks to Kensington and the Big Five. I'll keep a close eye on them.

triceretops
06-27-2015, 12:01 AM
That's very good news - potentially puts the Totally Bound lines into similar ranks to Kensington and the Big Five. I'll keep a close eye on them.

Yes, worth watching. Of course, their expansion and distribution arm make take some time for both adult and YA. But I'm eager to see what happens. I left a phone and email message with my agent so she could weigh this information according to her decision. I would like to avoid any type of deal breaker at this point, knowing what I know now, Hah!

J.S.F.
06-27-2015, 03:45 AM
I just saw the news a short time ago. It IS potentially a very lucrative deal not only for Totally Bound, but also for its imprints. The caveat, of course, is to wait and see.

Undercover
06-28-2015, 12:07 AM
Yes, this is definitely good news. I'm really happy to see it!

brainstorm77
06-28-2015, 02:01 AM
They were a great publisher even before this. I have three novellas with them and they have been great to work with.

triceretops
06-28-2015, 04:35 AM
That's good to know, brainstorm77, but I suspected that after perusing the Amazon ranks of a dozen or more of their books. Quite an impressive show of top 100s, even with their older titles. This screams rabid fan base, albeit for their romance titles, but they must be doing something correct in the marketing arena. No wonder they caught the eye of a buyer.

tri

Sage
06-28-2015, 05:16 AM
Hi guys,

Finch Books are pleased to welcome Epic Fantasy titles. Your story will feature an original plot, spanning a trilogy of novels and following your protagonist on a journey that encompasses several years. Based in an alternate reality or an entirely new, undiscovered world, your relatable characters will face their trials and tribulations alongside their eclectic mix of friends and foe, be they mythological, unique creatures or more familiar beings. Immerse your readers in their adventures and inspire them with your characters’ integrity and strength. See what our submission image (http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/sarahsmeaton/media/EpicFantasy_SubCall_zpsdnzptc99.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0) says to you. We’re looking for 30 - 80k per book in the trilogy. In the first instance, please send your series synopsis to submissions@totallyentwined.com with the header Finch Books Submission. We look forward to hearing from you.

For more information about guidelines and exciting opportunities with Finch please head to our website (http://www.totallyboundpublishing.com/submissions/submission-guidelines/).

If you have any questions or would like to know anything else I'd love to help out :hooray:

Thanks,

Sarah—Senior Editor, Totally Entwined Group.
So I have two questions. I went to see submissions guidelines for Finch Books, and I saw the Open Submission Call for epic fantasy. Does this mean that you only accept epic fantasy for YA books right now, or that it's a specific preference at the moment?

The second question I have is the wording on "in the first instance." Maybe I'm being really stupid, but I can't make heads or tails of what it means, and it's in the submissions guidelines as well as this post. With this wording: "Please send your full manuscripts to submissions@totallyentwined.com with the header Finch Books Submission along with a synopsis in the first instance," I feel like it's important to know what you're referring to (where you want the synopsis, maybe).

Laurasaurus
06-28-2015, 05:25 AM
I think that means that's what they want you to send in as your first contact with them.
ie, some people ask for 'just the query in the first instance'. Whereas from what you've quoted they seem to want the full MS and the synopsis right away.

(But I could be wrong!)

KimJo
06-28-2015, 06:57 PM
I agree with Laura's interpretation. "In the first instance" usually means "the first instance of you submitting to us."

Sage
06-28-2015, 07:25 PM
I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't submit a synopsis with future queries. They'd be for different books.

Or does it mean "submit all this stuff right away so you don't have to wait for a request" with any query? I guess that makes sense for the general submissions, though I'm still confused on the post I quoted. It's just weird (and extra) wording. This isn't a complaint; I was just trying to figure it out because it was included everywhere and I'd never seen anything like it.

Jeneral
06-28-2015, 09:21 PM
I take it to mean the latter, Sage. As in "the first time you contact us, include this info, as opposed to just sending a query and waiting for us to ask for more." Does seems like an odd wording choice to me.

Parametric
06-28-2015, 09:32 PM
This may be a UK-US English issue, because the usage is perfectly clear to me. "Send your full manuscript along with a synopsis in the first instance" = Send the full manuscript and synopsis.

Parametric
06-28-2015, 09:37 PM
Aha, it seems this is indeed a Britishism (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/first):

in the first instance
UK
› as the first attempt or effort:
Enquiries about the post should be addressed in the first instance to the personnel manager.

Thedrellum
06-30-2015, 09:47 PM
Yeah, in the US it would imply there was a second instance as well, or at least that the "in the first instance" was differentiating between two choices. In short, I was also flubbered by the wording.

Undercover
07-08-2015, 02:52 AM
Well I submitted to them finally. Hopefully I'll hear something.

Sage
07-08-2015, 04:02 AM
Aha, it seems this is indeed a Britishism (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/first):

Yeah, in the US it would imply there was a second instance as well, or at least that the "in the first instance" was differentiating between two choices. In short, I was also flubbered by the wording.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I was feeling dense.

And, yay, new Britishism!

triceretops
07-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Well I submitted to them finally. Hopefully I'll hear something.
Good for you, L. I know they're trying to launch their Finch line and are setting it up now. Agent has to give me the go-ahead on it.

ironmikezero
07-13-2015, 11:16 PM
They've expressed interest in a M/T/S of mine for the new Evidence Press imprint, tentatively scheduled for (imprint) launch in November 2015.

I queried in early March; the response was a bit over three weeks. By late April the manuscript was forwarded to an editor, and I was advised to await further contact. I've not yet been made an offer, or seen a contract . . . bear in mind only interest has been expressed thus far.

Since I'm not certain of their protocols/procedures, I've elected to remain patient. After all, the workload stress of launching a handful of new imprints almost simultaneously must be staggering; the logistics alone could set one's head to spinning.

Under the circumstances, patience may be well advised for all who have subbed. Good Luck to All!

P.S., Sarah has been a sweetheart to deal with...

13 July: After four months on a full, got a "R" today . . .

JaneD
07-13-2015, 11:53 PM
I subbed to the YA imprint March 27, signed the contract last week and have just started edits for an October release. Everybody has been very easy to contact, helpful, friendly, and easy to work with. Fingers crossed, but so far everything's gone like clockwork.

triceretops
07-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Agent and I had to decline this contract. Suffice to say, it was a mess for us. They staff are wonderful and enthusiastic--I got along with everyone. But there was some no budging on deal breakers for us. I wish everyone else luck!

JaneD
07-15-2015, 05:52 PM
I've seen more author-friendly contracts, it's true, but if they can sell books, I don't have any problems with it. Musa after all had a very author-friendly contract, but they couldn't sell books.

triceretops
07-15-2015, 07:29 PM
I've seen more author-friendly contracts, it's true, but if they can sell books, I don't have any problems with it. Musa after all had a very author-friendly contract, but they couldn't sell books.

My agent said this too--TE could very well sell a lot of books on the back-end. Now that Bonnier has bought them out, this could snowball into even bigger sales and massive distribution.

It's funny, but Nike Richards, publisher, contacted me four days ago, chasing me down for a decision. My agent emailed me two hours ago and said we have to talk about them on the phone. This could be a last ditch acceptance. In other words, they might be willing to negotiate some clauses and make it better for us. We have been bickering back and forth with them for nearly three months! Five of their staff members sent me contracts and welcomed me aboard. Jesus.

I'm calling my agent in one hour. From everything I've heard, I thought we rejected them. I hope I don't have to eat crow on this one. I loved them from the start, especially their dozens of top 100 Amazon ranks and huge sales.

Will let you know the outcome, and the reasons for an acceptance or rejection.

tri

Sheryl Nantus
07-15-2015, 08:44 PM
It's funny, but Nike Richards, publisher, contacted me four days ago, chasing me down for a decision.

I can't find this publisher through the search engines. Can you give more information, like their web site?

Thanks!

:)

Parametric
07-15-2015, 08:46 PM
I can't find this publisher through the search engines. Can you give more information, like their web site?

I assume he means Nicki Richards (http://www.totallyboundpublishing.com/about-us/the-team/) - her title at Totally Bound is Publisher.

triceretops
07-16-2015, 12:57 AM
I assume he means Nicki Richards (http://www.totallyboundpublishing.com/about-us/the-team/) - her title at Totally Bound is Publisher.

Thank you, Parametric. Oxygen starvation to my brain. It is Nicki. And that is the correct web address.

Parametric
07-16-2015, 02:02 AM
Thank you, Parametric. Oxygen starvation to my brain. It is Nicki. And that is the correct web address.

No problem. Just clarifying the misunderstanding that a third-party publisher was getting involved rather than a member of staff at TB. :) I've met Nicki and she was charming, as were the rest of the TB group.

triceretops
07-16-2015, 04:01 AM
No problem. Just clarifying the misunderstanding that a third-party publisher was getting involved rather than a member of staff at TB. :) I've met Nicki and she was charming, as were the rest of the TB group.

There's no doubt about it. The staff at TE are a bunch of sweethearts and I've met every one of them. Totally focused gals, sharp and extremely talented and capable. Prematurely, they sent me a first round of editing and the book cover before I and agent had accepted anything. It was a huge foul up. It was with great sadness that my agent rejected them today. It was kind of shocking, but I agreed, as a result of three major deal breakers. They could not, would not budge on some fairly common issues, which are too complicated to go into. Caveat: they might sell a hell of a lot of books, but watch very carefully for a complete right's grab, no mention of the contract duration, and failure to provide paperback publishing. Then there was about 10 other minor issues that needed re-writing very badly.

I personally rejected Novel Concept Publishing and Twilight Times today, also. That makes 10 contract offer rejections.

My agent is going for a round two with this book to NYC. And that's that. I'm moving on...

tri

JaneD
07-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Funny. My contract has a term. For the rights grab, I look at it this way: I can't do anything with foreign rights and I wouldn't even try with TV or film, so if TE don't use them, nobody will. The paperback might come, might not. But if a book won't sell in e format it isn't going to sell millions of paper copies. I don't have an agent so I'm effectively writing off the Big 5 (6?). The staff are friendly and communicative, and this deal suits me so far. The future can be rocky with the very best publishers.

Undercover
07-16-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm not understanding this. They're not doing paperback? Why? Is that only on some novels?

Sheryl Nantus
07-16-2015, 08:27 PM
My agent is going for a round two with this book to NYC. And that's that. I'm moving on...

tri

Who's your agent, Tri? Just wondering... he/she sounds very hard-working!

thethinker42
07-16-2015, 08:39 PM
For the rights grab, I look at it this way: I can't do anything with foreign rights

I thought this too, and let my foreign rights go to several publishers who are doing absolutely nothing with them. Now I'm in the process of having a number of my books translated into multiple languages (either by freelance translators or via foreign publishers who I've sold books to on my own). The German version of one of those books has already out-sold its English edition. Some of the Italian books are selling quite well too.

So you'd be surprised at how much you can do on your own, even a few years down the line. If a publisher isn't going to use those rights, or can't provide a definitive plan for trying to use them, then there's no reason for them to claim them.

brainstorm77
07-16-2015, 09:00 PM
It was my understanding they always did paperback for novels over a certain word count back when they only published romance. Has that changed?

triceretops
07-16-2015, 09:16 PM
I'm not understanding this. They're not doing paperback? Why? Is that only on some novels?

In a conversation my agent had with Niki, the publisher, she asked about paperback publication and Niki said they were primarily an e-book publisher. The contract duration was four years, as verbally stated by Niki. But that figure did not appear in my contract. And other such things...

Sheryl--My agent is Sara Camilli, and she is a true champion for my welfare and business dealings. She's also one of the sweetest gals I know. About foreign rights--I could be the exception, but my agent actively tries to sell these and domestic rights for all my books. I got a small movie option because of her. She covers all the bases and works very, very hard for me.

If a publisher cannot use the foreign rights and never does anything with them, why do they want them, tying them up from you or your agent? The Big 5 can have my movie rights anytime they want, with a certain amount of my controlling interest. No guarantees, but their chances of a Big 5 movie deal, along with audio rights, hardback and other amenities are so much better.

This has been my experience with this publisher, and is not a reflection of other writers and their dealings. If you haven't had anything like this, then you've just copped the Golden Ticket. Because, they are a wonderful outfit.

thethinker42
07-16-2015, 09:19 PM
In a conversation my agent had with Niki, the publisher, she asked about paperback publication and Niki said they were primarily an e-book publisher. The contract duration was four years, as verbally stated by Niki. But that figure did not appear in my contract. And other such things...

Wait, wait. Back up. The contract didn't state its duration?? Or it was a different figure in your contract vs your conversation?

If a publisher cannot use the foreign rights and never does anything with them, why do they want them, tying them up from you or your agent?

That's just it--foreign rights are potentially very lucrative. If a publisher isn't going to make a good faith effort to use them, then they shouldn't claim them. Of course, they may not actually use them -- selling to foreign publishers can be a slow process, and it doesn't always work out. But if attempts aren't even being made (and maybe they are at TB? IDK), then there's no reason to hold on to the rights.

triceretops
07-16-2015, 09:23 PM
It was my understanding they always did paperback for novels over a certain word count back when they only published romance. Has that changed?

Brainstorm 77--It might have changed because I was being set up for the Finch line, which is the new YA imprint. The same contract conditions most probably wouldn't apply until they tested the sales figures for this new venture. Hence, it could have been a basic boilerplate contract I received. Gosh, it's hard to know. Just guessing. I can certainly see where the tremendous romance book sales across the board would have allowed dozens of authors a chance for paperback. Their romance numbers are truly outstanding. Finch? Who knows what's going to happen. But I'll bet Bonnier comes to the rescue and boots this new imprint.

triceretops
07-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Wait, wait. Back up. The contract didn't state its duration?? Or it was a different figure in your contract vs your conversation?

It did not appear in the contract at all. The conversation revealed it. I urge any author signing with them to check this out. I just hope TE will change that and add the figure. It's really a minor issue, and I don't think it was a deliberate stab. It just irritated my agent to see it absent, when she claims she's never run across that before. ETA: I just checked their books with Amazon and found many paperbacks for their romance line.

JaneD
07-16-2015, 09:37 PM
As Triceratops says, Finch is a new imprint. They say they are going to try to use foreign rights, and paperback too. I expect they'll wait to see how sales and everything else pan out before committing. That's fine with me. I know I'll never do anything with those rights. No time and no real inclination to get involved with the expense and the hassle.

brainstorm77
07-16-2015, 09:46 PM
I hope they do well. They've always treated me fairly. It's been a couple of years since I published my last work with them, but I have nothing bad to say about them.

I'm currently writing historical romance with a medium heat level. I would consider them again in the future.

thethinker42
07-16-2015, 10:26 PM

It did not appear in the contract at all. The conversation revealed it. I urge any author signing with them to check this out. I just hope TE will change that and add the figure. It's really a minor issue, and I don't think it was a deliberate stab. It just irritated my agent to see it absent, when she claims she's never run across that before. ETA: I just checked their books with Amazon and found many paperbacks for their romance line.

No, that's not a minor detail. I'm not saying it was a shady thing, but it's a HUGE thing. NO AUTHOR should ever sign a contract that doesn't explicitly state its term, and I'm stunned that any publisher, least of all one who's been around for a while, would leave that out.

triceretops
07-16-2015, 10:41 PM
No, that's not a minor detail. I'm not saying it was a shady thing, but it's a HUGE thing. NO AUTHOR should ever sign a contract that doesn't explicitly state its term, and I'm stunned that any publisher, least of all one who's been around for a while, would leave that out.

Well, agreed. But I didn't want to come off like I was pounding on them. I'll bet that the romance writers had that figure in their contract. That would denote that the Finch contract was brand new and that detail/clause might have been left out inadvertently. Still, with the number of Finch contracts that have already gone out, I'm surprised nobody brought this up.

thethinker42
07-16-2015, 10:45 PM
Well, agreed. But I didn't want to come off like I was pounding on them. I'll bet that the romance writers had that figure in their contract. That would denote that the Finch contract was brand new and that detail/clause might have been left out inadvertently. Still, with the number of Finch contracts that have already gone out, I'm surprised nobody brought this up.

I don't want to pound on them either, but contract term isn't exactly a small detail. That's right up there with royalty rates in the "don't even think about signing a contract without it" category. When you and your agent were negotiating, was this corrected in the offered contract? Or was there mention of it being something that needs to be corrected?

JaneD
07-16-2015, 11:27 PM
Excuse me (raises her hand) but the term is clearly stated in my Finch contract.

Maze Runner
07-16-2015, 11:33 PM

Hi, Thinker. Coincidentally, I'm looking at a contract from different house that runs for "an indefinite period of time". However, the contract also states that the agreement can be terminated at any time by either party by written notice.

Can you tell me if that would make a difference to you? I'd really appreciate your take--thanks!

thethinker42
07-16-2015, 11:44 PM
Hi, Thinker. Coincidentally, I'm looking at a contract from different house that runs for "an indefinite period of time". However, the contract also states that the agreement can be terminated at any time by either party by written notice.

Can you tell me if that would make a difference to you? I'd really appreciate your take--thanks!

I'm not an agent/lawyer, so I can't really offer advice on that one. I mean, it *has* a contract term, which is good. The one being discussed in the thread doesn't have one at all, which is....no. No way in hell would I sign that.

Different publishers offer different terms. Personally, I won't sign longer than a 5-7 year contract unless the money is exceptional (i.e., a large advance). Most of my contracts are around 5 years.

Maze Runner
07-16-2015, 11:47 PM
I'm not an agent/lawyer, so I can't really offer advice on that one. I mean, it *has* a contract term, which is good. The one being discussed in the thread doesn't have one at all, which is....no. No way in hell would I sign that.

Different publishers offer different terms. Personally, I won't sign longer than a 5-7 year contract unless the money is exceptional (i.e., a large advance). Most of my contracts are around 5 years.

I understand. Thank you very much.

JaneD
07-17-2015, 12:16 AM
Okay, I'll say it once more then I'll shut up. The Finch contract that I signed just over a week ago DOES have a clearly stated term of four years. I don't have an agent to negotiate for me, so it must be just the standard contract and it's for four years.

thethinker42
07-17-2015, 12:53 AM
Okay, I'll say it once more then I'll shut up. The Finch contract that I signed just over a week ago DOES have a clearly stated term of four years. I don't have an agent to negotiate for me, so it must be just the standard contract and it's for four years.

Good, so it may have just been an issue with one contract, or any number of things. I would sincerely hope the lack of a date isn't standard operating procedure.

Mclesh
07-17-2015, 03:06 AM
I subbed to the YA imprint March 27, signed the contract last week and have just started edits for an October release. Everybody has been very easy to contact, helpful, friendly, and easy to work with. Fingers crossed, but so far everything's gone like clockwork.

Congratulations, Jane! I wish you every success with this one.

JaneD
07-17-2015, 11:15 AM
Thanks Margaret ;) After Musa I vowed I'd never touch another small, no-promotion-no-marketing publisher with a ten foot pole. Fingers crossed my hunch about TE is right.

triceretops
07-17-2015, 09:22 PM
The no mention of contract term was probably a fluke in my case. Like I said before, it was verbally given over the phone. There could be multiple boilerplate contracts. I HAVE seen that before.

TE just counter-offered my agent and myself (Cc'd) after we rejected them. They want to change two major option clauses. Here is my letter to them so you understand my feelings and what happened. She said she would be very sorry to see me go:

Hi, Nicki,

I'm sorry too. You can't believe how so. I love your staff and have met nearly all of them. I'd like to wrap up Jamie Rose and take her home as my permanent editor! I've singed the staff's praises at the one of the largest writing groups on the web. They are talented, no-nonsense, dedicated and highly communicative. Several of my AW friends have signed contracts with you and told me all about their experiences, and these PM messages have gone on for dozens of pages. Not one of them has had anything negative to say about TE. You have glowing reports EVERYWHERE. Your romances sales are the highest I've ever seen for a small press, and that goes for your many top 100 Amazon ranks, which I lost count of, heh!

Bonnier is the best thing that has happened to you. I'm sure, in time, you will experience mass distribution and extensive marketing. My eyebrows went up when I found out about this buyout. It can only be a major, positive thrust.

Dear, Niki. Those are not the issues here. For instance--my ex-girlfriend is Vice President in charge of taxes for 20th Century Fox. She also owns her own movie production company, which has a dozen successful films produced and out on the market. She has massive pull in the industry. Screamcatcher is so visually stunning, it is almost Disney-esque. I can exploit those movie rights through my agent. This goes for other rights, to a lesser extent. If you cannot put these rights into use, why do you need them? Will Bonnier even exploit these rights? After all, I'm only one author in your massive stable of authors.

Yes, the paperback thing is a big thing to me. Enormous.

No offer, of even a small token advance, is mind boggling. Considering the revenue that TE is bringing in from the past and the present. Yes, I know about some of your sales figures. I investigate these types of things.

You should spell out the duration of the contract. This is really a minor thing that might have been overlooked while drafting the contract. My agent couldn't find it. No biggie.

There are other clauses in the contract that need simple re-writing. They are either unclear or omitted.

Your are English. We are American. There should have been a meeting of the minds here or a comfortable compromise for both parties. As Americans, we rarely see contracts like these. We call them "mom and pop rights grabbers." These are the types of contracts we typically see in the small press arena, owned by uncaring, sometimes greedy, publishers. So it was kind of a shock to see such a boilerplate rendition. And, I'm not implying at all that you are such a publisher. You have much more prestige than that.

About Sara, my agent. She is not the type to come at a publisher with a knife in one hand and a money bag in the other. She is the sweetest, most kind person I know. I'm smitten with her dedication to me. She is my Goddess, the one who hawk-eyes my business deals. No publisher on Earth knows contract law like she does. She has a huge stable of authors, many of which are bestsellers. This makes her incredibly busy with the important concerns of other authors. My last YA book, a grand prize award winner and almost identical to Screamcatcher, was sold by Sara, with a hefty advance and fair contract. And, sold to a very, very small press indeed. This publisher couldn't even afford it. Yet they had to have the book.

This book (Screamcatcher) has been offered 10 contracts. You were the last negotiation we had. Sara would now like to take this book to the bigger guys and I totally agree. If by chance, that Sara accepts your changes, then hey! You can pipe me aboard the U.S.S. Entwined. If not, I would like to put you in the #1 position for a publisher spot (on the back-burner), mostly because you have more to offer than other publishers. How do you feel about that? Will you forget me and shun me? Or can you wait to see what happens, knowing that I still have all the faith in the world in you.

Please talk to Sara. Never be afraid of contacting an agent. They really are on your side. Publishing is a business--it's not a family outing. We ALL do well when sales are high.

Most gratefully and faithfully yours,

Chris

triceretops
07-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Let me clear something up: My agent is going on the second round to NYC. She had done a first round ages and ages ago. Since then we've taken note of the editorial changes for the major houses and their imprints. Screamcatcher has also been re-edited with professional help. After the first round, I was allowed to go pro-active and sub to the best small presses I could find. That's when all the offers came.

Laurasaurus
08-03-2015, 03:37 PM
I am rather liking their newly launched (and very pretty) Pride Publishing site. https://www.pride-publishing.com/

(Not sure if it needs a separate thread, now they've officially branched off?)

amergina
08-04-2015, 12:17 AM
Generally, imprints of a publisher remain under that publisher's thread, I believe.

oceansoul
08-04-2015, 04:39 PM
I can't get the Pride Publishing page to load :( A shame, because I imagine it answers a lot of my earlier questions/reservations about this publisher.

S.C. Wynne
08-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Loaded just fine for me.

Brusselsprout
08-24-2015, 07:11 AM
I'm currently waiting to see a contract also for the Finch imprint for a YA book, first of three. My submission was accepted end July, but I was on holiday with no real internet access (French wifi is insanely expensive for non residents) so have only really got the ball rolling this week. But am feeling very positive so far about the experience which is much better than with two previous publishers.

summontherats
08-31-2015, 08:04 PM
OK, I've submitted to agents before, but going straight to a publisher's new to me. So I apologize for these suuuuuuper basics questions. I'm looking at Finch Books for a YA fantasy, and the website says they want a synopsis and the full manuscript. Do you toss in a query letter with that, or does that literally mean they want nothing but a synopsis in the email with the full manuscript attached?

And are they only accepting epic fantasy trilogies at the moment, or would a standalone fantasy work, too? My fantasy's essentially a standalone novel with an open door for sequels. So I'm trying to figure out if querying Finch means I'd need to outline a plan for a trilogy or if I could pitch the novel I have and just go with the flow if they liked it.

...Oof. I haven't felt like such a newbie in ages.

triceretops
08-31-2015, 09:52 PM
TE is fine with standalone fantasy novels. I do know this. You wouldn't have to have a sequel or series completed or in the making. Good luck with your submission. Some of the nicest people I've ever met work there.

Laurasaurus
08-31-2015, 10:29 PM
OK, I've submitted to agents before, but going straight to a publisher's new to me. So I apologize for these suuuuuuper basics questions. I'm looking at Finch Books for a YA fantasy, and the website says they want a synopsis and the full manuscript. Do you toss in a query letter with that, or does that literally mean they want nothing but a synopsis in the email with the full manuscript attached?
I would definitely send a query letter as well. :)

Undercover
08-31-2015, 11:53 PM
What are the response times? I'm going on 7 weeks with mine.

triceretops
09-01-2015, 12:33 AM
What are the response times? I'm going on 7 weeks with mine.

Lil, Bud. I sent on 2-2-2015 and they sent a bio package for me to fill out on 3-25-2015. I think I had to answer questions and write descriptions of about three pages or so. I think I got a contract about 1 1/2 weeks after that. I hope that helps. That was just my experience.

summontherats
09-01-2015, 12:59 AM
I would definitely send a query letter as well. :)

TE is fine with standalone fantasy novels. I do know this. You wouldn't have to have a sequel or series completed or in the making. Good luck with your submission. Some of the nicest people I've ever met work there.

Thanks so much! That's just what I needed to know. :) (Also, triceretops, I'm so glad! This thread really has me excited to submit to them.)

All righty then, fingers crossed!

Brusselsprout
09-01-2015, 09:24 PM
I sent a query letter with synopsis and completed manuscript in April/May. I was contacted first in mid-July. I completed a book profile, an author profile and some other admin around August 20 and am now waiting for the contract. I've been told informally that they want the book ready for publication in November...August is a slow holiday month with public holidays as well here in the UK, so I'm hoping the contract will turn up in the next week or so. They are interested in a trilogy, but I need some information on timings as I have another project on the go. I don't have an agent, so will be submitting the contract to the Society of Authors which offers a vetting service. Hope this helps.

oceansoul
09-02-2015, 04:44 PM
That really doesn't leave much time for editing, production and promotion ... If you haven't even received the contract and it's September 2 ... How long is your story?

Brusselsprout
09-02-2015, 09:41 PM
The novel is 84,000 words and needs pruning...Just got the contract today, but it will be another week-ten days before Soc of Authors gets back to me. I've asked some questions about rights and length of contract so far.

michael_b
09-03-2015, 11:58 PM
Note, they've added a new imprint: Pride Publishing. https://www.pride-publishing.com/

Apparently it recently opened.

amergina
09-04-2015, 12:13 AM
Note, they've added a new imprint: Pride Publishing. https://www.pride-publishing.com/

Apparently it recently opened.

FWIW, they've added three new (but they were announced in March, so that's back a couple pages):

Brusselsprout
09-11-2015, 09:41 AM
I've just had a response from the Society of Authors which checked out the boilerplate contract I was sent and suggested I go back to TE and renegotiate as the SoA felt the terms were pretty unfavourable. I've gone back to TE with proposed changes,Mao will see where we go with this. I feel wary after being burnt some years ago by a contract with a U.S. Publisher which still won't relinquish rights and reissued the book with a new cover and title without any consultation. We'll see how TE responds....

- - - Updated - - -

That should have been now....not Mao. ;)

Pisco Sour
09-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Back in July I submitted my previously published novella to Totally Bound after my erotica publisher suddenly closed shop. I didn't think I stood much of a chance because a) the story had already been published and b) the subject matter and no HEA. To my delight, I rec'd an e-mail yesterday telling me they really enjoyed the story and would like to publish it, and to send them the syns for the sequels I'd planned to write. I'm in the process of due dilligence right now, but just wanted to share that it is possible for them to pick up previously published stories from authors not yet a part of their stable. Good, right? Now to sort through their initial paperwork. I have to say I've never seen a publisher do it this way--send you author info and book forms to fill in before you see the contract--but then I've never had anything picked up by a UK publisher before. For those who track these things:

Submitted: 21st July
Response with offer: 11th September

I make that just over 7 weeks.

And now I'm going to celebrate the offer with a sprightly walk to my fridge, followed by coffee and a glazed donut.

EDITED TO ADD: Does anybody know how much sex and 'language' can go into a FINCH BOOKS novel? The guidelines state that they publish YA, but also NA, and my MC is 20. This question is for a different novel, another re-release and not the story they just offered on.

EDITED TO ADD(2): I'm happy with the boilerplate contract and I have signed the contract! Happy.

triceretops
09-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Oh, definitely. They offered on two books--one is a reprint. So, it is possible if you have the right story and it clicks with them. Now to get in touch with agent who is NO where to be found at the moment or for the past week. She might be on vacation.

Undercover
09-13-2015, 12:10 AM
I might try my one novella for reprint. If they ever get back to me on my other sub. I'm close to 9 weeks here.

Pisco Sour
09-13-2015, 02:07 AM
Hope you get the answer you want, Undercover! Good luck.

Pisco Sour
09-13-2015, 02:20 AM
Oh, darn it, I just read through this AW thread and saw mention that the FINCH BOOKS line accepts no erotic content. Did I say darn? But the Totally Bound website says that sexual content in this line should be age-appropriate. It lists their New Adult age spectrum as going up to 21 years old. But 21-year-olds do still have hot and heavy sex these days, don't they? Or have mobiles and tablets killed the urge and they do it via text messaging? Lol

muse
10-04-2015, 04:56 AM
Has anyone submitted to their crime/thriller imprint Evidence Press?

I've searched online for the name of their submissionn editor and found nada.

Can anyone help? Pretty, pretty please.

triceretops
10-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I've been in communication with them about my espionage thriller. They want it. Agent and I are reviewing the terms. Although, we think we'll let them have the werewolf book for reprint.

Senior editor--has functioned as acquisitions editor--Jamie Rose. Try either of these. I have both in my new email file.

jamie.rose@totallyentwinedgroup.com

jamie.rose@totallybound.com

Hope that helps. (Jamie is a great and fast editor, btw)

muse
10-05-2015, 04:33 PM
Thanks a million, triceretops.

SarahSmea
10-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Back in July I submitted my previously published novella to Totally Bound after my erotica publisher suddenly closed shop. I didn't think I stood much of a chance because a) the story had already been published and b) the subject matter and no HEA. To my delight, I rec'd an e-mail yesterday telling me they really enjoyed the story and would like to publish it, and to send them the syns for the sequels I'd planned to write. I'm in the process of due dilligence right now, but just wanted to share that it is possible for them to pick up previously published stories from authors not yet a part of their stable. Good, right? Now to sort through their initial paperwork. I have to say I've never seen a publisher do it this way--send you author info and book forms to fill in before you see the contract--but then I've never had anything picked up by a UK publisher before. For those who track these things:

Submitted: 21st July
Response with offer: 11th September

I make that just over 7 weeks.

And now I'm going to celebrate the offer with a sprightly walk to my fridge, followed by coffee and a glazed donut.

EDITED TO ADD: Does anybody know how much sex and 'language' can go into a FINCH BOOKS novel? The guidelines state that they publish YA, but also NA, and my MC is 20. This question is for a different novel, another re-release and not the story they just offered on.

EDITED TO ADD(2): I'm happy with the boilerplate contract and I have signed the contract! Happy.

Hi there,

In regards to your FINCH query, we will assess books on an individual basis but here are our guidelines on sexual content for this imprint;

Any sexual content should be appropriate for the characters and the storyline. Sex between a minor and an adult (real or implied) will only be considered if it is off page, contributes to the growth of the character in a positive way and has realistic consequences for the character/s.

Hope that helps. For any specific questions, please feel free to email us at submissions@totallyentwined.com

Thanks,

Sarah
Senior Editor, Totally Entwined

SarahSmea
10-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Has anyone submitted to their crime/thriller imprint Evidence Press?

I've searched online for the name of their submissionn editor and found nada.

Can anyone help? Pretty, pretty please.

Hi There,

For submissions and submission queries please feel free to email submissions@totallyentwined.com with the header Evidence Press Submission.

Thanks,

Sarah

Pisco Sour
10-29-2015, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Sarah!

muse
10-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Hi There,

For submissions and submission queries please feel free to email submissions@totallyentwined.com with the header Evidence Press Submission.

Thanks,

Sarah

Thanks for the reply, Sarah. That's exactly what I did.

SarahSmea
10-30-2015, 06:11 PM
:hi: Hi everyone, just wanted to share our latest submission call for Finch Books with you;

Finch Books

The Afterlife
Do spirits walk the Earth with the living? Is there another world that rises beyond the grave? These types of questions have forever provided intrigue and fascination, so here’s a chance to really draw your readers in and delve into the world of the unknown. Finch Books are currently acquiring books that focus on the afterlife and all that surrounds it. Be this an insight into how the afterlife affects those who are left behind here in this world, or an exploration into what happens after our life as we know it. 30,000 to 80,000 words, series and serials also welcomed. Check out our submission image (http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/sarahsmeaton/media/theafterlife_finch_zps8gxtdsya.png.html?sort=3&o=0) and get inspired. Please send your manuscript and synopsis to submissions@totallyentwined.com with the header Finch Books Submission.
For details about other genres Finch are currently acquiring please head to our publisher site (http://www.totallyentwinedgroup.com/submissions/genres/).

If you have any questions please feel free to email our submissions@ email. :)

Marisa Chenery
10-31-2015, 04:49 PM
I signed a contract yesterday with Finch Books. It's for a paranormal/werewolf/zombie YA called Werewolf Defender. I had originally self-published it. They also accepted two other books in the series that I have yet to write. So far, I've had a great experience with them. I found the contract fair. Werewolf Defender will be out for pre-order in May and the general release date is in July.