If plants had faces, would there be vegetarians?

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
What if plants had faces and/or some way to express disconfort and distress, much like animals?

Not that I have anything against vegetarians, but I'm wondering about this. If plants somehow had a way to demonstrate they were in pain and actually had a pair of eyes to stare at us as we kill them for food, will the vegetarian movement even make sense? Would it exist?

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Every species needs food/fuel of some sort.

It just so happens that humans do not need to eat animals to survive.

Seeds, vegetables, legumes and fruits are adequate nutrition to sustain a healthy body.

Eating meat or not eating meat is a choice.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't answer that since I eat lots of things with faces.

Visualize Whirled Peas?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Every species needs food/fuel of some sort.

It just so happens that humans do not need to eat animals to survive.

Seeds, vegetables, legumes and fruits are adequate nutrition to sustain a healthy body.

Eating meat or not eating meat is a choice.

What if you were a Vegan zombie? Would you walk around saying, "Grains. GRAINS!" :D

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I guess my point is that most vegetarians I know have turned vegetarians so they don't kill animals to survive, which got me to wonder between the difference between killing an animal and killing a plant. Since plants are mostly static and show no feelings whatsoever, it's easier on the concience.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since plants are mostly static and show no feelings whatsoever, it's easier on the concience.

Oh, the evidence that they feel is there. However, it needs equipment, meters, etc. to show it. But it is there...Trust me.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Oh, the evidence that they feel is there. However, it needs equipment, meters, etc. to show it. But it is there...Trust me.

That's why I said "they don't show any feelings" instead of "they don't have any feelings". But when you kill a plant, unless you have the equipment there, there's no way of telling if it hurt or not, which is what keeps the concience happy.

(am I even spelling concience right?)

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
When I was in high school me and my friends were eating lunch. It was hamburgers. (School cafeteria you decide if it's real meat.)

Anyways one of our friends was a vegetarian and proceeded to tell us how the cow is slaughtered while we're trying to eat.

We then told her: Imagine you're a head of lettuce just enjoying the sun and photosynthesizing. When suddenly you are ripped from ground, shredded up into little pieces and stuffed into a plastic bag.

She lost her appetite.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in high school me and my friends were eating lunch. It was hamburgers. (School cafeteria you decide if it's real meat.)

Anyways one of our friends was a vegetarian and proceeded to tell us how the cow is slaughtered while we're trying to eat.

We then told her: Imagine you're a head of lettuce just enjoying the sun and photosynthesizing. When suddenly you are ripped from ground, shredded up into little pieces and stuffed into a plastic bag.

She lost her appetite.

Ha Ha! Serves her right.

Good for you, rosemerry.

Meat is not for everyone but if a person deletes meat from their diet and then craves it ... yes, craves ... perhaps it is necessary for them in some rationed amount, don't you suppose?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I'd just like to point out that the soil is subjugated to the jackboots of the roving hordes of plants that take advantage of it's good nature.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Plants do release massive amounts of stress hormones when they are injured or killed.

Just like animals. Just like people.

I try to eat fish from the sea, not from fish farms, and free-range/organic meat, and that's good enough for me. I've been eating a lot less red meat lately because of uh...global warming, but I'm not about to cut it out completely.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
But cattle flatulence is a large source of global warming. Eat a burger, save the world. ;)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's why the call it PETA.

People Eating Tasty Animals.

right, guys? uh - right?