PDA

View Full Version : British TV

zahra
07-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Come, come, people. There is UK telly beyond the Doctor. What other UK stuff are we all watching and enjoying? Is this going to be a very short thread?

I love 'The Thick of It' - absolutely hysterical political satire. The acting, the writing, the feeling that it's telling the truth - brilliant. I did want to see 'Truth Dare Kiss', by the lady who wrote 'Cutting It', but I'm always working, so I'm missing loads of telly. Who's into that new Max Beesley thing about the swordsman DJ? How's 'Rome' doing this series?

Christine N.
07-08-2007, 01:01 AM
I liked Hex, but they cancelled it.

scarletpeaches
07-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Richard & Judy.

jvc
07-08-2007, 01:28 AM
Jekyll and Hyde.

Rolling Thunder
07-08-2007, 01:46 AM
I only get to watch the older programs on PBS. Like 'Are you being served?', 'Last of the Summer Wine', 'My Hero', and 'Red Dwarf'. Oh, and various mysteries like 'Foyle's War' on Sunday nights.

Not a lot of new programs, as of yet. Maybe this fall PBS will get some new shows.

Britchik
07-08-2007, 01:48 AM
Come, come, people. There is UK telly beyond the Doctor.
There is???

In all seriousness, I've enjoyed the musical competitions they've had over the last year. I watched the Maria one and Grease is the Word and loved both. I tried to watch Joseph, but got bored with it after two live shows.

zahra
07-08-2007, 01:58 AM
There is???

In all seriousness, I've enjoyed the musical competitions they've had over the last year. I watched the Maria one and Grease is the Word and loved both. I tried to watch Joseph, but got bored with it after two live shows.
What about the dramas?

Yes, I heard Jekyll was good. I did see an episode of 'The Time of Your Life', about the woman who comes out of a coma, but only one. Stupid night job!

The BBC is doing a series of stand-alone horrors, which I'm looking forward to.

Chumplet
07-08-2007, 02:01 AM
Isn't that Robin Hood series part of the BBC stable? A friend of mine may write an episode - she's a good friend of Richard Armitage. They co-wrote a movie the BBC is planning to air.

zahra
07-08-2007, 02:18 AM
Isn't that Robin Hood series part of the BBC stable? A friend of mine may write an episode - she's a good friend of Richard Armitage. They co-wrote a movie the BBC is planning to air.
Yeah, I think R.Hood is a Tiger Aspect prod. What's the movie?

BenPanced
07-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Umm...I can't stop watching Footballers Wives.

I'm slowly drifting away from EastEnders. I've read the updates on the BBC website for so long, I know what's going to happen on the episodes that are currently running on PBS here (the whole "Kat's Zoe's Mum" is going down), and I've given up on the more current stuff.

I liked most of Smack the Pony when it played here in the US, particularly the music video parodies at the end of each episode.

Jennifer Saunders really needs to leave Absolutely Fabulous alone. That last series she did was so completely hit-and-mostly-miss, it was sad.

I'm still waiting for Catherine Tate to be funny, even though BBC America hasn't shown her stuff for about two months now and I saw three episodes.

I can't believe I sat through the entire run of Spoons when BBC America showed it.

And I missed Spaced, only because we upgraded our cable package in time for me to see the final three episodes.

Britchik
07-08-2007, 10:30 AM
What about the dramas?
Some of the dramas caught my interest for the thirty second advert, but not enough for me to watch an hour long episode. I have to admit I've been watching EastEnders purely to see when the storyline with Stacey, Max, and Bradley is all going to fall to pieces.

My lack of interest probably isn't helped by having young children in the house. Nine times out of ten, if the telly is on, it's got either Disney or Nickelodeon running! :tongue

dpaterso
07-08-2007, 11:46 AM
zahra, you don't have a VCR or Sky+? :)

I only get to watch TV in quiet early morning moments -- the stuff I've taped from the previous night, that is. My other half (diehard TV addict) hogs the remote controls and the best seat all evening. Viewing starts at 6:30 with Hollyoaks (glossy young things) followed by Emmerdale (often riotously funny), Corrie (funny sometimes), EastEnders (never funny), then into whatever drama happens comes after.

The Thick Of It - sorry, I've missed this so far.

Truth Dare Kiss - full of dislikeable characters saying and doing totally unrealistic things to each other, pretty much par for the course for Brit TV drama these days.

Talk To Me (Max Beasley's radio jock) - amazing that they could stretch a 5-minute idea into such a long boring drama. Thank goodness it's over.

Rome - 2nd series, Brutus and Cassius are marching home with their army expecting to meet and crush Octavian. Meanwhile, Octavian visits an old friend up north. :) Good scripts, charismatic performances, sometimes gritty to the point of nausea.

Jekyll & Hyde - a surprisingly fresh take on the old idea. Just a little bit silly in places what with the tech-corp shennanigans, but otherwise tries hard to entertain.

Foyle's War - still shows up occasionally on quiet nights, an always watchable clever quirky whodunnit, sometimes gives the impression of being slow-paced but that's because the old cars never seem to drive above 10mph.

Casualty - long-running BBC medical soap pretending to be drama, totally bereft of interesting ideas and realistic characters. Warning, some supposedly dramatic situations may result in unexpected gut-busting laughter.

Holby City - Casualty's big hospital cousin, just as awful.

Holby Blue - BBC cop show set in the same city as above, containing some of the most seriously flawed writing I've seen this year, and with the usual crop of unrealistic characters. First series just ended, despite poor ratings a second series is being mounted.

Blue Murder - farcical and superficial attempt at cop drama.

The Bill - long-running cop soap, comes up with good storylines now and again tho' they tend to arc over weeks or even months, but it's always there if nothing else is on. Shamelessly recycles dialogue from The Sweeney, e.g. You're nicked, you slag! You're going daaaaarn!

The Commander returns tonight for a 2-partner, I must say the trailer ad makes supercool Amanda Burton look rather frizzy around the edges.

Major moan alert, Doctor Who fans stop reading now:

Doctor Who - just ended last weekend, as with the 2 previous series the kiddie-level writing with its too-easy and often absurd solutions that just don't hold up to close inspection disappointed the hell out of me. I acknowledge some charismatic performances both from the leads and the guests, my problem lies with the writing -- often lazy, clichéd and expositional in equal measures. If the storylines were as clever as the CGI then I wouldn't have any complaints.

Did someone mention Robin Hood? Words fail me (well, nearly). Acting wasn't bad in places but overall, the series just wasn't good enough -- weak storylines, slow pacing, poor action scenes. I believe I threw the cat at the TV to register my disapproval. Most Robin of Sherwood episodes from the early '80s still beat the pants off this version (yes of course I mean Michael Praed episodes, not Jason Connery, are you insane?).

Please direct hate mail to the usual address.

-Derek

Evaine
07-08-2007, 02:22 PM
I agree with dpaterso - Robin Hood is appallingly bad! When it first came out, the makers said something about how authentic it was. I'm a historical re-enactor. I saw the first episode with a bunch of re-enactors. The costumes are terrible. Robin is using a re-curve bow! (It should be a longbow, which is a completely different shape).
I never watched another episode, but I did see the discussion about it on the living history forums, and it didn't improve.
Come back Richard Greene, all is forgiven! (He was the 1950s Robin)

Rome, on the other hand, is brilliant, and now the Doctor is gone until Christmas, it's my must see series.

I also enjoy New Tricks, which is three retired coppers - Dennis Waterman, Alun Armstrong and James Bolam, and a woman superintendant, re-opening and solving old cases. It can be very funny.

Sophia
07-08-2007, 02:46 PM
This topic got me quite riled up when I started thinking about it. Current British TV that I watch tots up to one whole programme, that being the documentary Coast, partly due to Neil Oliver and his locks blowing about. :) Blimey, there really hasn't been anything non-American in my viewing for several years now! A few comedy series have stood out; Black Books, Spaced and That Mitchell and Webb Look are the most recent, but aside from Rome, no drama. I'll probably watch the second series of Torchwood, albeit through gritted teeth.

The only guaranteed-to-be-excellent UK drama I can think of is A Touch of Frost, so I'll just hold on to the small hope that they do a few more episodes of that.

Sophia, depressed now

dpaterso
07-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Come back Richard Greene, all is forgiven! (He was the 1950s Robin)
Oh I say! That's a bit much! I caught this series in my youth and remember Robin gathering his merry men and saying, when things got really tough, "I have a plan!" (I think he said that in every episode). I'm sure Richard Curtis stole this for Baldrick's "I have a cunning plan."

I also enjoy New Tricks, which is three retired coppers - Dennis Waterman, Alun Armstrong and James Bolam, and a woman superintendant, re-opening and solving old cases. It can be very funny.
:e2smack: I should have remembered this one too. Amanda Redman. They make a good team, the seasoned veterans obviously get on well together.

-Derek

AmyBA
07-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, the only UK tv I get is whatever BBC America decides to broadcast, but I loved Coupling, The Office (the only Office, as far as I'm concerned), and Manchild. Spoons was another good one, and I liked the Catherine Tate Show. I used to be a huge fan of Changing Rooms, but I haven't seen that one in ages.

Now the only things I catch regularly are Hex and the Graham Norton Show.

jvc
07-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Rome - 2nd series, Brutus and Cassius are marching home with their army expecting to meet and crush Octavian. Meanwhile, Octavian visits an old friend up north. :) Good scripts, charismatic performances, sometimes gritty to the point of nausea.
Yep, forgot that Rome was a BBC production. Love the show, a lot of good acting and drama going on.

Did someone mention Robin Hood? Words fail me (well, nearly). Acting wasn't bad in places but overall, the series just wasn't good enough -- weak storylines, slow pacing, poor action scenes. I believe I threw the cat at the TV to register my disapproval. Most Robin of Sherwood episodes from the early '80s still beat the pants off this version (yes of course I mean Michael Praed episodes, not Jason Connery, are you insane?).

Please direct hate mail to the usual address.

-Derek
I felt the same about Robin Hood. With all the hype that went on during the lead up to that series I was really looking forward to it. And then I watched the first episode - what a let down. I thought it was badly written and badly directed, the music left something to be desired and the acting were just shallow and poor. I have to agree with Derek, the 80's series was much better than this debacle.

zahra
07-08-2007, 09:04 PM
DP, I do have a VCR (two, actually), but I have to be reasonably convinced something's worth taping.

I have to choose between what's on on Hallmark/Living/Discovery/more4 and the terrestrial stuff as all the good dramas are usually jammed up at 9 and 10 pm and my digital jobby can't change channels for Timer Record - and so often, Scrubs/Criminal Intent/House wins. I know I'm a crap patriot and should support British TV more, but when they get rid of dramas like North Square and Bodies, and put on Talk to Me....

I'll probably end up buying the good ones on DVD. Certainly intend to get 'Rome'.

The new Robin Hood sounded dire to me, too. I think everyone was piling in with 'hero' pieces in the wake of Dr Who, and that's why we got Hood and Primeval.

I wonder what the new David Morissey, 'Cape Wrath' will be like? It's written by two writers unknown to me - Joel Jenkins and Chris Denne. Apparently, it's already aired in the US under the name 'Meadowlands'.

zahra
07-08-2007, 09:15 PM
PS - Guys, PLEASE watch 'The Thick of it'. Unless you're averse to swearing. It's totally brilliant. Buried on BBC2, of course. 10pm Saturdays. I'm a thicko when it comes to political procedure etc, but I still love it, it's just so damn funny.

Anonymisty
07-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Whenever I visit my parents, I watch BBC America. I loved Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. I loved A Touch of Frost when they used to run it on public television, but I haven't seen it in a while. I just got access to Torchwood, and the first ep was very good. The first two seasons of MI-5 (Spooks originally) were excellent, but I don't use Netflix anymore so I haven't seen any more seasons.

There was also a mystery show a while back. Female lead...I think she was a coroner?...who worked for or with the police solving murders. It was played on PBS, but as soon as I discovered it, they never played it again.

As far as older British TV goes, I'll throw in a vote for The Prisoner, Monty Python and Blackadder.

Chumplet
07-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I think R.Hood is a Tiger Aspect prod. What's the movie?
A historical romance is all I've been told.

Chumplet
07-08-2007, 11:51 PM
I managed to catch one episode of Extras and I thought it was freakin' hilarious.

wyntermoon
07-08-2007, 11:51 PM
BBCAmerica here!

My guilty pleasure was Bargain Hunt (shhhh)

zahra
07-09-2007, 12:40 AM
There was also a mystery show a while back. Female lead...I think she was a coroner?...who worked for or with the police solving murders. It was played on PBS, but as soon as I discovered it, they never played it again.

That was 'Silent Witness'. I rather liked that, though people always took the piss out of Amanda Burton, the lead, for staring off into the distance in lieu of acting. Disagreed! She's a good actress.:)

zahra
07-09-2007, 12:41 AM
A historical romance is all I've been told.

Then torture her til she tells you some more.

MidnightMuse
07-09-2007, 12:52 AM
I enjoy Spooks (MI-5 here in the states) and Primeval is a new addiction. But the "new" Robin Hood was a let down for me. I got caught up in the hype and thought it'd be pretty cool - the new Robin was good looking, after all, and usually that's all it takes to get me started.

But it was a let down - I don't know from accuracy or not, but it definitely felt "wrong", and hearing from people who do know, it wasn't accurate after all.

There was a series I did like, starring Jack Hannah (i think is his name) - he was a coroner . . . I've drawn a complete blank on the name now.

dpaterso
07-09-2007, 12:53 AM
I have to choose between what's on on Hallmark/Living/Discovery/more4 and the terrestrial stuff as all the good dramas are usually jammed up at 9 and 10 pm and my digital jobby can't change channels for Timer Record - and so often, Scrubs/Criminal Intent/House wins. I know I'm a crap patriot and should support British TV more, but when they get rid of dramas like North Square and Bodies, and put on Talk to Me....
Can't say I blame you, and no need to feel unpatriotic, if they can't make something you watching like then it's your right to watch something else.

The new Robin Hood sounded dire to me, too. I think everyone was piling in with 'hero' pieces in the wake of Dr Who, and that's why we got Hood and Primeval.
I wasn't sure about Primeval at first, it seemed like a direct rip of Doctor Who, but it turned out to be clever as hell and had a bunch of interesting characters. Unlike DW they weren't jumping from different planet to different planet each week so there was more sense of focus and continuity. Worth watching if you get the chance to catch re-runs if and when.

I wonder what the new David Morissey, 'Cape Wrath' will be like? It's written by two writers unknown to me - Joel Jenkins and Chris Denne. Apparently, it's already aired in the US under the name 'Meadowlands'.
I laughed at the trailer -- they give the secret away! He actually says it in the trailer! Way to tickle curiosity.

-Derek

dpaterso
07-09-2007, 12:58 AM
There was a series I did like, starring Jack Hannah (i think is his name) - he was a coroner . . . I've drawn a complete blank on the name now.
Not sure about the series but probably John Hannah (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001314/) of Four Weddings and a Funeral and The Mummy fame?

-Derek

BenPanced
07-09-2007, 05:26 AM
The Bill - long-running cop soap, comes up with good storylines now and again tho' they tend to arc over weeks or even months, but it's always there if nothing else is on. Shamelessly recycles dialogue from The Sweeney, e.g. You're nicked, you slag! You're going daaaaarn!
The Bill - where EastEnders actors go to die...

And to shake things up a bit: Mrs. Gale, Mrs. Peel, Miss King, or Purdy? Discuss.

MidnightMuse
07-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Not sure about the series but probably John Hannah (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001314/) of Four Weddings and a Funeral and The Mummy fame?

-Derek

Yes - that's him :)

poetinahat
07-09-2007, 07:04 AM
The first season of Life on Mars just finished here. If you get a chance to watch it, it's brilliant. Detective has an accident, put into a coma. He wakes up in 1973. Fantastically done.

I'm also a fan of Midsomer Murders, but I can't help but think "What -- another secret society and multiple-murder case in a quaint village?"

Disclaimer: I still think Are You Being Served? is hysterical. Lowbrow, but appropriately over-acted and very funny.

Bmwhtly
07-09-2007, 11:22 AM
There is much more than Mr Who on British TV.

But, now that it's finished, I find the only things I'll tune in for are:

Jekyll: As someone up there said - A little silly in places but well played and, on the whole, entertaining and chilling.

New Tricks: It's like pretty much any cop show, except here the police have Actual personalities and not just story lines. Muchly Good.

And, sad to say, that's about it. Torchwood, Robin Hood, Extras, Couplng... They can all **** off.

Anonymisty
07-09-2007, 05:11 PM
That was 'Silent Witness'. I rather liked that, though people always took the piss out of Amanda Burton, the lead, for staring off into the distance in lieu of acting. Disagreed! She's a good actress.:)

Yes! Loved it, although I was only able to catch a couple of episodes on "Mystery".

MidnightMuse
07-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Rebus and McCallum - those are the two I was trying to remember!

zahra
07-09-2007, 10:53 PM
I laughed at the trailer -- they give the secret away! He actually says it in the trailer! Way to tickle curiosity.

-Derek

To be fair, I think that's the premise, not the secret. It's secret to the family, maybe, for a while. But I do think it a shame that these high-concept shows have to panic and give too much away to make sure people watch.

zahra
07-09-2007, 11:03 PM
The first season of Life on Mars just finished here. If you get a chance to watch it, it's brilliant. Detective has an accident, put into a coma. He wakes up in 1973. Fantastically done.

Life on Mars was the best TV drama series since Bodies - and I loved me some Bodies. They're doing a new series with Phil Glenister's character, Gene Hunt, coming to the 80s. I hope it lives up!

ALLWritety
07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi Every1,

What is "Little Britain" like? The DVD has come out over here and a friend said

1) I looked like one of the characters (Don't know which one and don't want to know! It is not something I want on my CV!)

2) and that it was funny and I should rent it!!

It just seemed crude and crass when i saw some of the stuff in the shop when i was last back in the UK. What is it like. Please spill the beans.
Kev

zahra
07-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi Every1,

What is "Little Britain" like? The DVD has come out over here and a friend said

1) I looked like one of the characters (Don't know which one and don't want to know! It is not something I want on my CV!)

2) and that it was funny and I should rent it!!

It just seemed crude and crass when i saw some of the stuff in the shop when i was last back in the UK. What is it like. Please spill the beans.
Kev
It IS crude and crass! The first series was very fresh and funny, but I'd stick to that if I were you. One of the characters, Vicky Pollard, the chav school-girl (chav=something like trailer-trash) struck a chord with Brits, because we've all seen a VP on the bus or hanging outside Micky D's, and the speech mannerisms are spot on, and some of the other characters, like the Prime Minister's (male) aide who's in love with the PM and gets all jealous and flouncy about him, are funny, too, but some of the others are kind of weird and you either get it or you don't. I'd say it's worth having a go. Some of it's hilarious.

zahra
07-11-2007, 10:06 PM
About 'Cape Wrath', which started last night, afraid I'm gonna have to go with a resounding 'Meh!'.

Britchik
07-11-2007, 10:39 PM
My dad loves Little Britain, though I personally don't see why. I've seen a few episodes, and other than the short bits with Anthony Head (whoo hoo!), I wasn't even remotely interested. It wasn't funny to me... But that may simply be a difference in humour style.

Bmwhtly
07-12-2007, 11:17 AM
My dad loves Little Britain, though I personally don't see why. I've seen a few episodes, and other than the short bits with Anthony Head (whoo hoo!), I wasn't even remotely interested. It wasn't funny to me... But that may simply be a difference in humour style.I Am Not Alone!

I've never thought Little Britain was funny (nor The Office, but that's another story). And I seemed to be the only one, glad to know I'm not nuts.
Well, not because of that anyway.

jvc
07-12-2007, 07:10 PM
I Am Not Alone!

I've never thought Little Britain was funny (nor The Office, but that's another story). And I seemed to be the only one, glad to know I'm not nuts.
Well, not because of that anyway.
I hate The Office, and really can't stand the Gervais guy who is in it either. I watched 'The Night at the Museum' a few weeks back, only thing I didn't like about that movie was that stupid Gervias guy from The Office who was in it as the musuem owner. [rant over]

zahra
07-16-2007, 09:29 PM
'The Thick of It' finale - best lines on TV:

"Stop looking so scared - I'm being polite, aren't I? Now get out, you hippie, or I'll personally have you as a light supper."

"Ollie's our source? Ollie Reeder? 'Shallow-Throat'?"

"I'm gonna rip out your lungs, sun-dry them and flatten them into a wee waistcoat."

Past-It Minister: "You always do this, Jamie, it's either I love you or f*** off, no shades of grey." Terrifying Jamie: "I'm looking at about ten f****ing shades now."

'You're like John Major. But in a good way."

"You're backing him? Was the bloke from the Cilit Bang advert not available?"

And can i just go on record as saying that I would have continued to watch the distinctly 'Meh'-ish Cape Wrath, had they not killed off the best thing about it, that slab of sizzling, evil sex, Tom Hardy.

Sophia
07-26-2007, 01:19 AM
I realised that I'd completely forgotten about BBC's Hustle (http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/hustle/), which I love. It's entertaining, fairly slick and the plots have some nice twists, even if we can sometimes guess the overall shape of the plot. It also has one of the best opening title sequences and music, ever.

zahra: I recorded The Thick of It on your recommendation; sorry, but it wasn't quite my thing. I did go in expecting to like it! I'm afraid it got off to a bad start because of the hand-held camera technique - it makes me feel queasy, so I was watching the program out of the very corner of my eye, and stealing glances every now and then to see who was speaking. I thought the dialogue was clever but the characters didn't really appeal to me.

zahra
07-26-2007, 04:09 AM
Oh, dear! But you're not supposed to like the characters, they're all sociopathic, power-mad, back-stabbing monsters...But I see what you mean. It's not everyone's cup of Typhoo.

The only thing I like about Hustle is Marc Warren. Yummy.

childeroland
07-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Lovejoy
Bad Girls
Spooks
The new (to me, anyway) Geraldine McEwan/Miss Marple series
Rosemary & Thyme
Hetty Wainthropp

zahra
07-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Lovejoy
Bad Girls
Spooks
The new (to me, anyway) Geraldine McEwan/Miss Marple series
Rosemary & Thyme
Hetty Wainthropp
Haven't you left off 'Heartbeat'?:D

childeroland
07-27-2007, 05:45 AM
Never seen 'Heartbeat', as I don't know if I'd want to catch up with it at this point. Is it worth it?

Shadow_Ferret
07-27-2007, 06:25 AM
I liked Hex, but they cancelled it.

Ditto.

zahra
07-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Never seen 'Heartbeat', as I don't know if I'd want to catch up with it at this point. Is it worth it?
No, I was being snarky in the wake of your liking what I call 'Horlicks TV', ie Hetty W, Rosemary and Thyme and Lovejoy....Oh, you'll love it. Set in a cop shop in the 60s, in the English countryside. Not my cup of tea at all.;)

childeroland
07-28-2007, 01:18 AM
My tastes do run in that direction. Then again, I only manage to find what I can here and there with British TV, and I haven't gotten around to newer stuff like 'Hex' yet.

zahra
07-31-2007, 06:04 PM
OK. I'm off to pick up my copy of the Radio Times.

There'd better be something good in it.

jvc
07-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Not this week.

zahra
07-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Well, there's 'Empathy', by Steven Lightfoot, on Saturday. That might be good, though on first glance I'm thinking, 'Rip-off of "The Dead Zone".' Bit worrying that the Beeb hasn't been publicizing the hell out of it.

OK, just read the RT review of it. Yup. Crap, apparently.

Oh, well, there's always 'Gavin and Stacey' on BBC3. That's a good little comedy.

jvc
07-31-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm just scanning the TV guide now, it's hard to find anything worth watching this week that's actually made here.

Bmwhtly
07-31-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm just scanning the TV guide now, it's hard to find anything worth watching this week that's actually made here.Isn't The Ipcress File on tonight?

zahra
08-02-2007, 12:40 AM
Isn't The Ipcress File on tonight?
And there, in a nutshell...

Sigh.

Actually, I caught a few episodes about the bird who emerges from a coma and is still eighteen emotionally - not bad. But probably not one for the testicled among us.

Perks
08-02-2007, 12:59 AM
I love 'Top Gear'. I don't advocate piracy, but I do practice it for this particular show, but only because I can't get it any other way.

Forgive me.

And kiss Jeremy Clarkson for me.

And James. And Richard. Shag the Stig (he can leave his hat on) and put TopGearDog out of her lethargic misery, too. All for me.

dpaterso
08-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Actually, I caught a few episodes about the bird who emerges from a coma and is still eighteen emotionally - not bad. But probably not one for the testicled among us.
Too bloody right. The late evening slot is saturated with dysfunctional people dramas and congenitally witless cop shows like The Commander. The trick cyclist variant Wire in the Blood is on right now but I can only stand so much of this stuff, I'm hiding in the kitchen with my laptop.

-Derek

zahra
08-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Too bloody right. The late evening slot is saturated with dysfunctional people dramas and congenitally witless cop shows like The Commander. The trick cyclist variant Wire in the Blood is on right now but I can only stand so much of this stuff, I'm hiding in the kitchen with my laptop.

-Derek
There's a Brit film on 2 at 11.20 tonight (pushing it for a school night, I know), called Hell Drivers. A thriller about a haulage firm. That should pack enough testosterone for ya.

Perks
08-02-2007, 01:17 AM
This may be such old news, but there was a mini-series called The Jury done not too terribly long ago. It was so terrific, I heard about it all the way here in North Carolina.

It really was excellent.

zahra
08-02-2007, 01:20 AM
And kiss Jeremy Clarkson for me.

So very very not going to happen. I'd rather kiss a giant bedbug. And have you seen them close up?

Perks
08-02-2007, 01:33 AM
I know, but funny is better than photoshop for making a guy appealing. I love him. And I'm not ashamed to say so.

(Well, I'm a little ashamed. But it's okay.)

jvc
08-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Top Gear is a great show, but it isn't on at the moment, although they did do a one off special last week driving to the North Pole.

Perks
08-02-2007, 01:39 AM
That was amazing. And hilarious.

zahra
08-02-2007, 01:55 AM
This may be such old news, but there was a mini-series called The Jury done not too terribly long ago. It was so terrific, I heard about it all the way here in North Carolina.

It really was excellent.
Yeah, I quite liked it, but I don't think it's one of our greats. It went on a bit. If they'd condensed it down a couple of episodes...But nice performances.

Perks
08-02-2007, 02:04 AM
The guy who was the foreman (IMDB isn't being very helpful on this one) was absolutely fantastic. I'd watch anything he did -- if only I knew his name.

ETA - Michael Maloney. Whew. Had to work for that one a bit.

Bmwhtly
08-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Top Gear is a great show,Damn right it is.
It shows how good it is that I watch it religously. Despite the fact that I don't have a driving license.

although they did do a one off special last week driving to the North Pole.They Did?!
Someone please tell me they're repeating it!

Perks
08-02-2007, 04:35 PM

It was awesome. And absolutely hilarious. One of the best. You need to get your eyeballs on it.

zahra
08-02-2007, 07:24 PM
they did do a one off special last week driving to the North Pole.

Good. Hope they stay there.:) Kidding. Man TV - it's a good thing.

And the not-kissing Clarkson isn't so much about his (admittedly unprepossessing) looks, but because he has an air of a man who says things like, 'It's political correctness gone mad' on a fairly regular basis.

jvc
08-02-2007, 07:43 PM
They Did?!
You need to check the TV pages every now and again my friend, it was on last wednesday at 8pm on BBC2. I imagine they will repeat it, they normally do. I'll keep an eye out for you.

billythrilly7th
08-03-2007, 03:43 AM
I like that Benny Hill show.

zahra
08-04-2007, 01:53 AM
I like that Benny Hill show.

Now you're just trying to annoy us.:poke:

kristin724
08-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Lots of older stuff- Blake's 7, original Doctor Who, Ab Fab, Mr. Bean, Sharpe. I don't get BBC America, but this Robin Hood doesn't look worth the DVD available, either. Does Hornblower count? Or The Tudors? hehe...

ETA-Gotta love Masterpiece Theatre! I always tune in to see what will be on there!

jvc
08-05-2007, 02:18 AM
Lots of older stuff- Blake's 7, original Doctor Who, Ab Fab, Mr. Bean, Sharpe. I don't get BBC America, but this Robin Hood doesn't look worth the DVD available, either. Does Hornblower count? Or The Tudors? hehe...
I loved Sharp, always wondered how many of the books were made into films, does anyone know? Hornblower was also a great series, I'm hoping they make some more of them. Don't bother with the new Robin Hood, very badly made/directed/acted/written.

ALLWritety
08-05-2007, 11:13 AM
JVC

I loved Sharp, always wondered how many of the books were made into films, does anyone know?

I don't know but i will ask my cus. he loves those books.

I will get back to ya one i find out.
k

Bmwhtly
08-05-2007, 06:56 PM
You need to check the TV pages every now and again my friend, I don't buy a TV Guide.
Shows how many shows I care about at the moment. ... In fact, I haven't turned the TV on this week.

Ah Well.

zahra
08-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Just saw Ashley Pharoah and Matthew Graham, who are writing the new 'Life On Mars'. Actually, it's finished - they said it's being filmed right now. I hope it's good. Keeley Hawes is in it - one of the BBC Rep Company, as I call them. I find her a bit minty, but I'm still looking forward to it.

bugaloo
08-11-2007, 12:25 AM
i love some of the british comedies...like black books, the office, blackadder etc.

zahra
08-11-2007, 05:10 AM
i love some of the british comedies...like black books, the office, blackadder etc.
Black Books - fantastic stuff. Peep Show never fails to make me laugh. Green Wing was also very funny, though it sometimes disappeared up its own rectal passage.

Evaine
08-11-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm sure they based the Dylan Moran character in Black Books on one of the main booksellers in Hay-on-Wye - it was just too close to be a coincidence.

Sophia
08-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Speaking of Black Books, this is one of my favourites: Bernard's response to the rejection letter for his novel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU4S2BIqoHY

zahra
08-12-2007, 02:53 AM
I'm sure they based the Dylan Moran character in Black Books on one of the main booksellers in Hay-on-Wye - it was just too close to be a coincidence.
Does he know???

Elara, thanks for the link!

Evaine
08-12-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't think he'd care if he did!

Bmwhtly
08-14-2007, 02:58 PM
A couple of quick Top Gear points, in case y'all didin't know.

Firstly, the Polar Special is repeated on Monday night (around midnight) it's the signed version, but at least I'll get ot see it.

Secondly, the new series is due on our tellyboxes in around October.

End Message.

jvc
08-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Yep I thought the Polar special was very funny. Not as funny as the one where they went to America, but still, very funny.

Bmwhtly
08-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Yep I thought the Polar special was very funny. Not as funny as the one where they went to America, but still, very funny.You couldn't wait until after I've seen it... could ya?!

jvc
08-15-2007, 12:16 AM
You couldn't wait until after I've seen it... could ya?!
Hey, I didn't give away the part with the alien spacecraft trying to abduct Hammond, oh, oops.

zahra
09-05-2007, 12:15 AM
So in the Radio Times this week it says 'Casualty' is going to become much more gritty, political and realistic now, returning to its roots (though I don't remember it being that gritty in the first place).

I hope it does. I'd long given up watching a whole load of doctors and nurses raping each other and being framed for murder or whatever, and I actually used to like the programme.

But I remember a few years ago, they were going to return 'The Bill' to its non-soapy roots, and they were scouting for new writers to effect the change. My agent sent in my ideas and I waited with baited breath. Then they got cold feet and sacked the new producer before he could even begin. And 'The Bill' continues with its ex-Hollyoaks cast and audience. *Sigh*.

Apart from that news, (or, in spite of it) the autumn schedule for Brit TV seems limp as a dishcloth. *Sigh* again.

ChimeraCreative
09-06-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm a Canadian and I've been exposed to British television for most of my life. I remember watching a lot of comedies like Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served?, Red Dwarf, Mr. Bean,(and a favourite of ours) Chef!.

Last night I caught my first episode of Jekyll. I rather enjoyed it, I hope to see more of it next week. We're always so bloody far behind in your shows. ^_^

And Top Gear rocks our socks off. The episode when the three fellas drive from Miami to New Orleans had us in stitches. It was delightfully and devilishly hilarious. ^_^

-An

zahra
09-08-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm a Canadian and I've been exposed to British television for most of my life. I remember watching a lot of comedies like Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served?, Red Dwarf, Mr. Bean,(and a favourite of ours) Chef!.

^_^

-An

Chef!???!!!! CHEF!???!!!!

:eek:

I'm sorry, but...chef!???

I have to go and lie down now.

kristin724
09-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Not sure how many Sharpe novels are about. I'd love to read them, but I want to get the series on DVD first. I've read all the Hornblower series. Great stuff.

zahra
09-11-2007, 11:49 PM
This autumn, there's a series premiering called 'Stuart - a Life Lived Backwards' , starring my favourite sexiest man of the moment, Tom Hardy. Something to look forward to as the nights draw in...

Alexandra Little
09-12-2007, 03:59 AM
I actually only watched Doctor Who when they had Eccleston.

Robin Hood.
Rosemary and Thyme.
There was one that my mom and I were watching when we were IN London, but we couldn't find the title.
Any costume drama the BBC puts on--like North & South.

zahra
09-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Just watched the Paula Milne scripted 'The Virgin Queen' (mainly cos my man Tom Hardy's in it). Very very good, watched the whole thing in one sitting. I want more Elizabathan drama! Appetite's whetted! I shall now dig out 'A Waste of Shame'.

ghost
09-16-2007, 11:37 AM
The Black Books episode where they try to write the childrens book is beyond hilarious.

And I love the rejection letter spoof too.

I'm so looking forward to Run, Fatboy, Run.

zahra
09-23-2007, 04:11 AM
This autumn, there's a series premiering called 'Stuart - a Life Lived Backwards' , starring my favourite sexiest man of the moment, Tom Hardy. Something to look forward to as the nights draw in...

This is on tomorrow, or rather, tonight now - Sunday, 9pm, I believe, on one of the terrestrial commercials, ITV I think.

zahra
10-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Anyone watching 'Let's Get Billie Piper to Take Her Clothes Off so All the Blokes Will Watch ' 'Diary of a Call Girl'? Any good? Sounds dullsville to me, but there you go.

Sarah-Jane would never have done this...

Woof
10-12-2007, 07:15 PM
British TV is full of so many great comedies and dramas, it's impossible to list them all. Just a short list of my faves:

Comedies:

Monty Python
Fawlty Towers
Keeping Up Appearances
Are You Being Served?
To The Manor Born

Dramas, including feature productions on Masterpiece Theatre and A&E:

Cracker
The Lost Language Of Cranes
Upstairs, Downstairs
Brideshead Revisited
Pride And Prejudice
Moll Flanders
Captain Hornblower
I Claudius
Great Expectations
Oliver Twist
David Copperfield
Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights

...and my all-time fav show, which is the longest-running television series in the world, and one that I have been watching religiously for the past 17 years, Coronation Street.

Bmwhtly
10-12-2007, 07:21 PM
I did think about hunting this thread out today.

Because things have gone good recently.

Take this weekend for instance:

Tenko (yes, repeats, but still good)

QI (new shiny series)

AND

Top Gear (new, supercharged series with excellent mileage and plenty of room in the boot)

Pretty good if you ask me.

rosebud1981
10-14-2007, 05:22 PM
does anyone watch Peep Show?
this is one of the most consistently funny shows I've ever seen. pure cringey brilliance from start to end :D

valen_sinclair
10-14-2007, 09:23 PM
best british shows outside of doctor who in the last 30 years are as follows in order.

1. Red Dwarf
2. Blackadder
3. Top Gear
4. Fawlty Towers
5. Allo Allo

zahra
10-14-2007, 11:17 PM
does anyone watch Peep Show?
this is one of the most consistently funny shows I've ever seen. pure cringey brilliance from start to end :D
The only comedy show that didn't lose me after the second series. Love it.

best british shows outside of doctor who in the last 30 years are as follows in order.

1. Red Dwarf
2. Blackadder
3. Top Gear
4. Fawlty Towers
5. Allo Allo
Disagree! Will give my list as soon as I've recovered from the shock of 'Allo Allo' being on yours...:)!

valen_sinclair
10-15-2007, 11:14 AM
allo allo (at least the early stuff) is brilliant....ah the fallen madonna with the big boobies

zahra
10-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Just passing, but 'Minder' has got to be in there somewhere. 'Prime Suspect' was ground-breaking and extremely well-written and Helen Mirren was fantastic in it. 'Rising Damp' was a great sitcom. That would have to be on my list. Also 'Panorama' - excellent documentary series.

Oh, and 'Upstairs Downstairs'.

Bmwhtly
10-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Well, Spooks started a new series last night.

I wasn't going to watch it (I Lost interest in the last series halfway through), but I thought I'd give it a go.
And, I am not impressed. I realise it's bad form to comment without watching the whole episode, but watching it just annoyed me.

As a Standalone episode it was, at best, inelegant. And when you compare it to how good it Was in the first 2 series, it was downright clumsy.
I feel this series has definitely past it's peak and has now degenerated into very hollywood James Bond-ery.

Thoroughly disapointing.

zahra
10-21-2007, 04:01 PM
'Spooks' - I agree. What a shame.

I like 'Drop Dead Gorgeous', though I didn't think I would. Tight writing, really strong acting, fine cast. The first series has just ended, but the second, yippee, starts tonight on BBC3.

BenPanced
10-24-2007, 08:18 PM
So...um...when does Little Britain start being funny?

Just asking.

Bmwhtly
10-25-2007, 11:32 AM
So...um...when does Little Britain start being funny?Almost immediately after you get a lobotomy.

dpaterso
10-25-2007, 12:22 PM
But Little Britain was funny initially... then things suddenly felt overfamiliar and tired, as if they were airing the same characters too often. The bloke in the wheelchair whose mate doesn't know he can walk -- a couple of these sketches (yobs in the park, swimming pool) were timed to absolute perfection. Motormouth slag Vicky Pollard was hilarious answering questions in court. The "ladies" trying on dresses that seemed to be a perfect fit, then turning round to show the bare arse literally hanging out the wide-open back was gasping-for-breath funny. Then a sense of déjà vu crept into the show. I just can't watch it now. Audiences these days are easily jaded, and fickle.

-Derek

plaidearthworm
10-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Just received 'Black Books' from Netflix yesterday, can't wait to jump in! I've only seen the rare episode on BBC America, and it looks like snarly, cheesy fun.

zahra
10-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Black Books is SO not cheesy. It's not cosy or familiar or kind. No-one in it is handsome or pretty, and most of the characters are unhinged. Brilliant!

ALLWritety
10-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Almost immediately after you get a lobotomy.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!!

K

Sophia
10-26-2007, 01:32 PM
The top five shows is difficult to choose, as there have been a lot over the years that I look back on fondly due to their quality as well as the haze of nostalgia. Taking just SF and F, I'd have:

Star Cops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Cops) --Short series about an international space police force in the near-future. Clunky props don't take away from the plausibility of the ideas and the interesting characters. (Gets a lot of, "But that was rubbish!" reactions when I mention it, but I think people are thinking of something else!) It caught my imagination, and is still one of my favourite shows to watch.

Ultraviolet (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169501/) -- Moving, gripping and very atmospheric. I loved Susannah Harker's tense character with her underlying grief, getting on with her job, and the moment when Idris Elba discovers he is locked in a warehouse with four of the super-strong 'vampires' who are about to wake, and he holds the gun under his own chin - brilliantly done.

Red Dwarf -- Obviously.

And that's it for SF. Not even 5? Eep!

zahra
10-26-2007, 11:46 PM
[

Ultraviolet (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169501/) -- Moving, gripping and very atmospheric. I loved Susannah Harker's tense character with her underlying grief, getting on with her job, and the moment when Idris Elba discovers he is locked in a warehouse with four of the super-strong 'vampires' who are about to wake, and he holds the gun under his own chin - brilliantly done.

Red Dwarf -- Obviously.

And that's it for SF. Not even 5? Eep![/quote]

Idris Elba is playing a blinder in the US, isn't he? He's one of those overseas success stories that will never get written up in the Daily Mail, but he's really getting on with it.

I have to say, the reason I'm attracted to a lot of US TV is the high chance of finding black actors properly utilized, as real human people with real lives and real impact on the story, which is something Brit TV is STILL falling down on.

Sophia
10-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Idris Elba is playing a blinder in the US, isn't he? He's one of those overseas success stories that will never get written up in the Daily Mail, but he's really getting on with it.

Yup. I saw an interview with him in the back of one of the Sky magazines (I think) a few months ago, but that's about all. I'm glad he's doing so well; he comes across as a really nice bloke.

Re. your roles for black actors comment: HUGE topic/rant. :(

ALLWritety
10-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Re. your roles for black actors comment: HUGE topic/rant. :(

Then write the roles, screenplays, scripts yourselves!

Kevvers

zahra
10-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Then write the roles, screenplays, scripts yourselves!

Kevvers
Hi, Kevvers! Long time, no hear!

Yes, I always write major black characters in my script, but I don't know if you saw my post on this topic somewhere before, but a friend of mine landed a gig writing for a hit TV series, and when he wrote two lead black characters, he was told to make them white instead. The quote from the producer/script editor (I'm not sure of the rank of the person who said it) was something like: "Black actors can't act at that level." The 'can't act at that level' is verbatim.

Yeah, and if there ends up being no black talent left in the UK, it'll be because they all get pissed off with teeny, insulting roles and sod off to the US! Where somehow, those awful talentless actors suddenly start acting at a 'level' good enough to score them leads in great dramas...Hmm, funny that.

I hope that if I ever go into production in the UK, they leave my characters' ethnicity as is - I tend to write set in the London I know, peopled by blacks, Asians, Poles, Kiwis, Bulgarians, Aussies, Portuguese etc - but as a new writer, I very much doubt that unless I have a cast-iron reason for the character's black ethnicity, there will be much I can do.

ALLWritety
10-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi, Kevvers! Long time, no hear!

Yes, I always write major black characters in my script, but I don't know if you saw my post on this topic somewhere before, but a friend of mine landed a gig writing for a hit TV series, and when he wrote two lead black characters, he was told to make them white instead. The quote from the producer/script editor (I'm not sure of the rank of the person who said it) was something like: "Black actors can't act at that level." The 'can't act at that level' is verbatim.

Yeah, and if there ends up being no black talent left in the UK, it'll be because they all get pissed off with teeny, insulting roles and sod off to the US! Where somehow, those awful talentless actors suddenly start acting at a 'level' good enough to score them leads in great dramas...Hmm, funny that.

I hope that if I ever go into production in the UK, they leave my characters' ethnicity as is - I tend to write set in the London I know, peopled by blacks, Asians, Poles, Kiwis, Bulgarians, Aussies, Portuguese etc - but as a new writer, I very much doubt that unless I have a cast-iron reason for the character's black ethnicity, there won't be much I can do.

Hi,
Yeah I have been off the rader for a while. I was very demoralised and in one day had my whole identity, work and who i am was crushed. It started in the morning and finished at night. Just one day i was totally crushed. (Maybe should put this in Reject!!!) So it tooka while before i was up to posting. i did read many posts but didn't post my self.

Anyway to your commets. Very glad that you are writing roles for multi-ethnic bods. Yeah I hear you about UK TV. (yes i do remember that posting of yours before.) One of my friends told me that UK is P.C. crazy also.

This is just craziness. The UK is a multi-ethnic country now and that needs to be taken on board. "Blacks can't act at that level" smacks of the old British Empire where we thought that we were so superior than the rest of the world. I had hope that this had gone from UK but it seems that it hasn't. So sad in so many ways.

Kevvers

zahra
12-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Tom Hardy as Bill Sykes in 'Oliver Twist', starting tonight on Beeb 1!

:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::s noopy::snoopy::snoopy:

Oh, and Sophie Okenedo as Nancy, that deserves a :hooray::hooray::hooray:.

Hope Tom takes his shirt off. Sophie can keep hers on, if she likes.

zahra
12-18-2007, 10:33 PM
More Xmas telly - rather enjoying the MR James adaptations on BBC4. Tonight, I believe it's Greg Wise's turn to be terrorized by some supernatural menace. Bring it on!

HeronW
12-18-2007, 11:39 PM
'Are You Being Served' 'Waiting for God' and r.i.p. Benny Hill were my favs.

truelyana
01-12-2008, 05:53 AM
'Only fools and horses'

jst5150
01-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Inspector Morse. I cried when John Thaw died. I really did. While at RAF Fairford, I pilgrimed to Oxford three times just to feel that world.

Midsomer Murders. Mostly with Detective Troy, but the dude after him is pretty good, too.

Sherlock Holmes. The Jeremy Brett version.

Footballers Wives. But only for Zoe Lucker and only the earlier seasons. She is dirty.

And, just to get it in at the end here ...

"You'll Never Walk Alone."

NikeeGoddess
01-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Prime Suspect is the absolute best British tv has to offer imo

and last year i got hooked on
Meadowlands - only on Showtime - kind of a cross bet Twin Peaks and the Sopranos

zahra
02-12-2008, 04:03 AM
2008 so far? Oh, dear. Honest, Mistresses, Echo Beach, that godawful Fairy Tales thing - all below par, IMO. I'm reserving judgement on Ashes to Ashes until I've seen a bit more of it, but once more, my telly-watching is firmly rooted on the other side of the Atlantic.

Shame.

Hopcus
02-13-2008, 07:20 AM
I love The Mighty Boosch. It's rather strange though.

Sophia
02-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I like The Mighty Boosh, too. Surreal and funny. (And I love the nodding figures in the opening titles. The music sticks in my head for ages when I hear it. And now that I've thought of it, there it is!)

I caught some of Mistresses last night, and thought it was all right. The characters weren't as ladette-like as I had assumed they would be. The slow, meaningful conversations felt a bit contrived, as if they were all written to the same template, but it did keep me watching to see how the various relationships resolved.

zahra
02-14-2008, 03:57 AM
I love The Mighty Boosch. It's rather strange though.
D'you know what, The MB has a weird effect on me - I will watch it, thinking, 'This is just stupid, this isn't funny', just watching it to see what happens next, and then suddenly I'll burst out laughing at the thing I was just dissing, suddenly and without warning finding it hysterical. It's incredible. No other programme does that to me.

There's this one episode I kept seeing on the plane over to Florida, all last year. I saw it about three times, and then the last time, I just couldn't stop laughing! It's the one about 'the Funk', and I'm weeing myself just thinking about it, especially the 'Love Games' song!
:roll:

bluntforcetrauma
02-14-2008, 10:04 PM
I like a couple Britcoms-

Are You Being Served?
Goodnight Sweetheart

I dislike;

As Time Goes By- What are those characters living for anyway?

zahra
02-15-2008, 04:16 AM

Are You Being Served?
Goodnight Sweetheart

I dislike;

As Time Goes By- What are those characters living for anyway?ooh, that's mean! They're living for their next cup of tea, of course.

Those were all made twenty years ago, Bft! 'Green Wing', 'Black Books', 'Peep Show'... all are waiting for you... But if you like your comedies gentle...Dunno. 'My Family'?:)

bluntforcetrauma
02-15-2008, 10:13 PM
ooh, that's mean! They're living for their next cup of tea, of course.

Those were all made twenty years ago, Bft! 'Green Wing', 'Black Books', 'Peep Show'... all are waiting for you... But if you like your comedies gentle...Dunno. 'My Family'?:)

I'm only going on what measly bit of Brit programming PBS barfs at us. If I see one more program on penguins or the civil war, I'm gonna choke my television. I never watch too much tv anymore. It's all so boring. BTW- Still trying to secure a copy of My Life In Kenya. I hear it's a riveting read. :roll:

MrWrite
02-16-2008, 12:57 AM

Are You Being Served?
Goodnight Sweetheart

I dislike;

I have the complete Goodnight Sweetheart on dvd. I LOVE the show. I have most of the best sitcoms Only Fools, One foot in the grave, men behaving badly, fawlty towers, red dwarf, season 2 of Blackadder to name several. I may not live in England anymore but I don't have to miss my favourite sitcoms thanks to Barnes and Noble. My NUMBER ONE favourite store in America! :D

Bmwhtly
03-02-2008, 10:23 PM
A quick question:

When did the BBC start paying for cinema adverts?
I just saw The Bank Job. Before it, there were two BBC ads.

One for the return of Doctor Who (Martha smothered in oil mmmmmmmm) and the other, rather bizzarely, for a radio show.

The more bizzare thing was that it was audio only.

Yup. Black screen until the end when they but up the radio one logo. That strike anyone else as odd?
I won't complain too much, i happen to like the Chris Moyles show.

zahra
03-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Didn't see that. So that's where our licence money is going, huh? On that note, it's been a long while now that the ads on the BBC, albeit for other progs, not products, have started to eat into almost as much broadcasting time as on the commercial channels.

Two other things: Does anyone remember when they used to tell you where you could see the actors on stage right after the programme? "Natasha Pyne is appearing in 'Nurse, Where's My Bedpan?' at the Lyric, Hammersmith!" A lost gem in the history of broadcasting, I feel.

The other thing: Did anyone see 'Skins' last week? Absolutely brilliant writing and acting, especially from Sid and his Dad. The scene in the club was totally heart-wrenching. I nominate this as the only British must-see drama on my list so far this year.

Oh, no, one other: 'City of Vice'.

clockwork
03-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Skins has come into its own this series. I really quite disliked the first because I felt it was too heavily going for that American Pie, sex-crazed mentality. But as you say, Sid's episode was great and Maxxie's before it, with the stalker, was equally well-written.

Can't recommend much else in the way of dramas. Interested to see what "The Fixer" has to offer.

chevbrock
03-04-2008, 02:56 AM
We love "Skins" and "Shameless" after the kiddies have gone to bed.

I have to confess I'm a "Ramsay's kitchen nightmares" tragic, also. I don't know why. I just can't seem to miss a show!!

StephanieFox
03-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (a parody of 1970s British horror tv and a complete hoot)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Marenghi's_Darkplace

The Persuaders (from the early 1970s w/ Tony Curtis and Roger Moore
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Persuaders!

zahra
03-06-2008, 12:43 AM
I LOVED 'Darkplace' - really funny!

Did anyone see 'Being Human', about the vampire, werewolf and ghost who shared a flat? It's part of the one-offs on BBC...3, I think. It was surprisingly good.

A friend of mine has written a new C4 serial, called 'Harley St', which is showing later this year. The cast is a bit 'ex-soapy', but still can't wait to see it. This is the first time I've known someone go from struggling writer to selling a series, so am dead excited.

Shanster
03-17-2008, 10:58 PM
I watched the first episode of Being Human, but I didn't really get into it. The whole episode went far too slow and has successfully put me off watching the rest of the series :P

There are plenty of TV shows that I love to watch but, sadly, most are filmed in America, Australia or Japan (animes).

maxmordon
03-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Darkplace was awesome! but I am enjoying this series called Father Ted... just hysterical!

zahra
03-17-2008, 11:24 PM
I watched the first episode of Being Human, but I didn't really get into it. The whole episode went far too slow and has successfully put me off watching the rest of the series :P

There are plenty of TV shows that I love to watch but, sadly, most are filmed in America, Australia or Japan (animes).
Being Human was not a series but a one-off - the whole season is a pilot try-out thing, I reckon, and the ones that prove popular might go to series. I was impressed by W10 LD, though I know some people were annoyed by the stereotyping.

I liked Russell Tovey (the werewolf) in Being Human; in fact I like him in everything - he's fast becoming one of those actors who'll persuade me to check out anything he's in.

And I don't even fancy him.

Mr Flibble
03-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Darkplace was awesome! but I am enjoying this series called Father Ted... just hysterical!

I love my brick!

Sorry, Father Jack moment there.

maxmordon
03-18-2008, 01:11 AM
I love my brick!

Sorry, Father Jack moment there.

Feck off, gobshyte!

zahra
03-18-2008, 01:55 AM
Feck off, gobshyte!
Girls! Drink! Feck!

HAPPY ST PADDY'S DAY!

MrWrite
03-18-2008, 02:59 AM

Are You Being Served?
Goodnight Sweetheart

I dislike;

I love Goodnight Sweetheart! We have the complete series on dvd.

Mr Flibble
03-18-2008, 03:04 AM
Feck off, gobshyte!

My dog is called Feck

Not that odd when you consider my cats are Smeghead and Lister.( they even have Craig Charles autograph dedicated to them lol)

zahra
03-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Seen the noms for this year's Bafta TV awards? My boy Tom Hardy is up for Best Actor for 'Stuart, a Life Lived Backwards':) and Peter Capaldi is up for Best Comedy Performance for 'The Thick of It', which is also nommed for Best Comedy Programme. :) 'Skins' is up for Best Drama.

WannabeWriter
03-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Forgive me if anyone already mention this, since I don't feel like going through the first six pages of the thread...

I don't watch much British TV here in the US, but I do like Monty Python's Flying Circus. :)

Maui Author
03-19-2008, 07:35 AM
I love British comedy. I grew up watching Fawlty Towers (my favorite), Benny Hill, Mr. Bean, and Absolutely Fabulous. Unfortunately, I don't have the BBC on my cable where I live now so I haven't see anything recent.

JacobWorld
03-19-2008, 08:10 AM
I still watch Faulty Towers from time to time .
Irish humour is even better . Are you familiar with Father Ted ???
The best

Maui Author
03-19-2008, 08:19 AM
I have heard of Father Ted, but never seen any of the episodes. I've just added them to my netflix list.

Mr Flibble
03-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Are you familiar with Father Ted ???
The best
Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Bmwhtly
03-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Speaking of vintage British TellyFillers, ITV4 have been re-running Quatermass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_%28TV_serial%29) this week.
Really very very good!
I saw the sixties film version of Quatermass and the Pit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_and_the_Pit_%28film%29)the other week, they both hold up remarkably well.

Watching the 70's series, I can't help but wonder why TV scifi-ish drama was so much better back in the late 70's (The superb Day of the Triffids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Triffids_%28TV_series%29)springs to mind.)

WannabeWriter
03-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Mr. Bean is my other favorite. Very hilarious series, though a short one. :)

Sophia
03-20-2008, 01:38 PM
They are repeating I, Claudius on UK History at the moment. I hadn't seen it before - it's gripping, well written and very well acted.

zahra
03-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Forgive me if anyone already mention this, since I don't feel like going through the first six pages of the thread...

I don't watch much British TV here in the US, but I do like Monty Python's Flying Circus. :)
Can you guys download 4OD (Channel 4 on demand on-line)? You can get to see stuff like Skins and Torchwood just after they've aired. And tis free and legal. Somebody from the US try it and see. Can't remember the exact address but googling 'Channel Four downloads' should do it.

If you can get it, Father Ted and Black Books is on it, and in the drama part, check out 'North Square'! It's brilliant, so cross it was cancelled after one series.

zahra
04-04-2008, 01:11 AM
OK, me again.

'Ashes to Ashes' - what do we think? It definitely got better, and I don't think poor Keeley Hawes deserved the slating she got. It's just such a shame she uses an accent she believes is 'posh' when really, it's just RP, which only exists amongst actors. I don't think her acting itself was bad. Some of Gene Hunt's lines were a bit lame this time, too. But all in all, really good stuff.

Hurray for 'Gavin and Stacy', too, and I'm generally liking the 'Curse of Comedy' strand - how good was Trevor Eve (usually pretty slappable) as Hughie Green!

Sophia
04-04-2008, 02:37 AM
I didn't watch Ashes to Ashes regularly, but caught bits here and there, and the latter part of tonight's last episode. I didn't realise Keeley Hawes had got slated - I thought she was fantastic every moment she was on screen. I liked what I watched of the show a lot. I thought it was solidly entertaining, with likable characters and good acting all round.

zahra
04-04-2008, 02:58 AM
I didn't watch Ashes to Ashes regularly, but caught bits here and there, and the latter part of tonight's last episode. I didn't realise Keeley Hawes had got slated - I thought she was fantastic every moment she was on screen. I liked what I watched of the show a lot. I thought it was solidly entertaining, with likable characters and good acting all round.
The papers were really mean to her. I'm glad she's doing the next series.

Bmwhtly
04-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I've never seen Ashes to Ashes (mostly because I missed the first episode, and I'm funny about seeing a series if I missed the beginning).
But how can Anyone slate Ms Hawes? She was superb in Spooks. And in The Bank Job too, for that matter.

Sophia
04-04-2008, 12:25 PM
But how can Anyone slate Ms Hawes? She was superb in Spooks. And in The Bank Job too, for that matter.

And also in the finale of The Vicar of Dibley (as Harry's sister) :). She's one of my favourite current British actresses. Wasn't she in Tipping the Velvet, too? She has great range, I think, and is a pleasure to watch.

Bmwhtly
04-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Irish humour is even better . Are you familiar with Father Ted ???
I prefer Black Books.

"Trust me, this is what the astronauts use to keep cool"
"Is space hot?"
"Of Course! where do you think we get pineapples from?"

Marvellous!

Bmwhtly
04-04-2008, 12:54 PM
is a pleasure to watch.I Agree!
*smutty chuckle*

zahra
04-05-2008, 01:16 AM
I Agree!
*smutty chuckle*

Yes, she's a bit minty but she's grown on me (no smutty chuckle).

Have a trawl on-line around the reviews of 'A to A' - they were mean as hell to her. Poor little Keels.

Agreed on 'Black Books', too. Bernard is one of the great comedic monsters of TV. "This isn't Waterstone's, you know."

Bmwhtly
04-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Agreed on 'Black Books', too. Bernard is one of the great comedic monsters of TV. "This isn't Waterstone's, you know."Yup.
In fact, I saw Dylan Moran live (when he was touring 'like totally'). He's much better on film.

He was great in Shaun of the Dead, too.
hmmmm... do we need a 'British Cinema' thread? We'll make do here, I guess.

zahra
04-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Oh, no, how sad was 'Skins'? :cry::cry::cry: (But Cassie irritates the living freak out of me).

Mr Flibble
04-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Yup.

He was great in Shaun of the Dead, too.

A film sooo good my hubby managed to get over his zombie phobia to watch it.

And aiming for the pub! How to classify the english at a stroke.

Bmwhtly
04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
And aiming for the pub! How to classify the english at a stroke.I rather thought this summed up their Englishness:

Shaun: Are they still out there?
Ed: Yeah. What are we gonna do?
Shaun: Have a sit down?

zahra
04-21-2008, 01:04 AM
BAFTAS tonight. Am, as ever, at work, so dunno if my boy Tom (see below) walked off with a statuette, but have recorded it and if he doesn't win, I may well sulk.

Stormhawk
04-21-2008, 02:05 AM
Went out the other day, came home with all four seasons of Coupling (after only having seen the first). Couldn't resist, they were like $13 each. *drool*

Watched season two over two days, then three and four in one day (yes, we're slightly insane).

*is rather happy*

Mjollnir13
04-21-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't get BBC:cry:so I don't get to see anything recent. But the series I love is...The Young Ones!!!

Mr Flibble
04-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Would you care for one of the Peake Frean Trotsky assortment?

Mr Flibble
04-25-2008, 12:18 PM
They're remaking Blake's Seven!

*runs round room in state of excitement*

zahra
04-26-2008, 04:37 AM
I have never seen even one episode of Blake's 7, but I presume, by all the running round the room, that you liked it, so I'm very happy for you! :) I wish they'd remake 'The Tomorrow People', myself.

Snowstorm
04-26-2008, 06:09 AM
The shows I remember best on British TV was "Red Dwarf" and "Monkey Magic."

"Red Dwarf" was addicting, but "Monkey Magic" was such a riot. It was a dubbed Chinese(?) science fiction series about a half-man/half-monkey was escorting a Buddhist monk to find these sacred scrolls.

The monkey had two sidekicks, one was a half-pig and I can't remember what the other one was. As they traveled escorting the monk, the irreverent three "animals" would get into trouble and have to fight their way out (the monk was a minor character). When the animals found themselves outnumbered, Monkey would pull a nose hair and throw it on the ground and up would spring another fighter.

For about fifteen years I could sing the theme song! What a hoot.

ALLWritety
04-26-2008, 10:01 AM
The shows I remember best on British TV was "Red Dwarf" and "Monkey Magic."

"Red Dwarf" was addicting, but "Monkey Magic" was such a riot. It was a dubbed Chinese(?) science fiction series about a half-man/half-monkey was escorting a Buddhist monk to find these sacred scrolls.

The monkey had two sidekicks, one was a half-pig and I can't remember what the other one was. As they traveled escorting the monk, the irreverent three "animals" would get into trouble and have to fight their way out (the monk was a minor character). When the animals found themselves outnumbered, Monkey would pull a nose hair and throw it on the ground and up would spring another fighter.

For about fifteen years I could sing the theme song! What a hoot.

The other Monkey sidekick was the sea/fish thing! Monkey, Pigsy, Sandy and the monk. I loved that show. My friend has just got the whole set on DVD. Really cheap if you are in the UK. Just a few qiud for each DVD.

Kev

Mr Flibble
04-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Ahh Monkey, Great Sage, equal of heaven :) There was the horse in the later series too.

And Blake's Seven was like the Brit version of Star Trek ( with a dash of Star Wars), with some rebels on a stolen spaceship and a really evil-sexy lady dictator ( pretty impressive in the Seventies) who they were trying to get rid of. One of the Seven was the best anti-hero ever.

The last episode was OMG talk about plot twist!!!!

It was awesome.

Bmwhtly
10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I believe it's time to ressurect this thread if no-one minds.

Last night the new series of Spooks started.
I haven't seen the last series (or possibly last two series) because they seemed to go all Hollywood. But this one seems to have potential! and not just because they *Spoiler in white* killed of the pretty-boy.

Also, I watched the first episode of what's possibly the only zombie TV series ever.
Since it centres around the Big Brother house, it can only be so good (since even fake big brother is knuckle-bitingly annoying). That said, I think it could be really good; especially if they fire that epileptic cameraman.

And finally, Top Gear's back on Sunday :)

qwerty
10-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Let's hear it for TOP GEAR!

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-067.gif

BBC so no adverts. Nuffin but sheer lunacy.

jvc
10-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Is Top Gear back on Sunday? I had no idea, you'd think they would advertise it a bit, but i've seen nothing, nada, zip. With that said, it is one of my fav programmes.

On Spooks. I saw last nights episode (the next one is on tonight btw just in case you thought you'd have to wait another week). It was pretty good, once it got going. They had to deal with the left-over bit from last season at the start, which slowed it down a bit too much for my liking, but it did get going in the end. That guy from Robin Hood is now the mc I think, so let's hope he does a better job in this series than he did in RH (which I didn't like).

Bmwhtly
10-28-2008, 08:19 PM
That guy from Robin Hood is now the mc I think, so let's hope he does a better job in this series than he did in RH (which I didn't like).I didn't know he was from Robin Hood (didn't watch past the pilot)

I hope he does a better job than Penry-Jones.
Not a fan.

jvc
10-28-2008, 08:22 PM
I didn't know he was from Robin Hood (didn't watch past the pilot)

I hope he does a better job than Penry-Jones.
Not a fan.

I didn't watch past the pilot either, everything about it was bad imo. He played Guy Gisborn (sp?) and the only reason I know that is because I read it in the newspaper. Although knowing Spooks, Penry-Jones (is that the guys name?) may pop back later.

Sophia
10-28-2008, 09:18 PM
He played Guy Gisborn (sp?)

Oo, Richard Armitage? Yum. :D

darkprincealain
10-28-2008, 09:45 PM

Are You Being Served?
Goodnight Sweetheart

I have a hard time with Are You Being Served? It's so funny that if I watch one, I want to watch a bunch of them. Absolutely Fabulous is good too.

Enzo
10-30-2008, 05:44 AM
I'm completely out of touch with British TV now.

Used to like comedy shows like Monty Python of course, Not the Nine O'Clock News (which gave us Rowan Atkinson), and (Stephen) Fry and (Hugh) Laurie.
European Tv also had all the cop shows, Inspector Morse, Inspector Dalgliesh, Inspector Wexford.
Here in Asia, it's all American, even The Office is the US version.

jvc
10-30-2008, 05:55 AM
Second episode of spooks was very good. Just thought I'd tell you that.

Bmwhtly
10-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Second episode of spooks was very good. Just thought I'd tell you that.It was, yes.

It made me think back to what some-one said about the first series. That Spooks was halfway between George Smiley and James Bond.
Then, as the serieses went on, it edged further away from Smiley.

But now it seems like it's heading for the right side of the ffence again.
This makes me happy. :)

mab
10-30-2008, 02:36 PM
I must admit most of our UK TV is pretty crappy...I don't like gritty (depressing) soaps, reality TV, ITV dramas or dancing/singing talent shows...and as for 'comedy' such as My Family, Little Britain or the Office...hmm, no thank you. So that means I don't watch most of whats on.

I think there is a certain brand of comedy we do quite well...Black Books, Peep Show/ Mitchell and Webb, Spaced, Green Wing, Smack the Pony, Mighty Boosh.

Most of our dramas aren't good...Shameless and Skins can be alright, they have a bit of comedy to them. I did watch Hex but really it wasn't a patch on Buffy/Angel.

I seem to find myself watching panel shows like QI, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and Have I got News for You quite a bit. And I must admit the BBC does the odd good documentary, although for the most part I think they're a waste of a license fee.

Mr Flibble
10-30-2008, 03:10 PM
I seem to find myself watching panel shows like QI, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and Have I got News for You quite a bit.

Me too - and why did NO ONE TELL ME THERE WAS A NEW SERIES OF FROST!!!!!!

I've missed at least two. Grrrr.

jvc
10-30-2008, 07:53 PM
I must admit most of our UK TV is pretty crappy...I don't like gritty (depressing) soaps, reality TV, ITV dramas or dancing/singing talent shows...and as for 'comedy' such as My Family, Little Britain or the Office...hmm, no thank you. So that means I don't watch most of whats on.

I think there is a certain brand of comedy we do quite well...Black Books, Peep Show/ Mitchell and Webb, Spaced, Green Wing, Smack the Pony, Mighty Boosh.

Most of our dramas aren't good...Shameless and Skins can be alright, they have a bit of comedy to them. I did watch Hex but really it wasn't a patch on Buffy/Angel.

I seem to find myself watching panel shows like QI, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and Have I got News for You quite a bit. And I must admit the BBC does the odd good documentary, although for the most part I think they're a waste of a license fee.

I think The Bill is okay. Some of the fve-parter story-line episodes a few months ago were very well written and I'd prefer they did more of them over the single episode stories.

I think QI is one of the best comedy shows on tv. Not only funny, but also has some good informative things on it too. I watched a new series on Dave the other day called Argumental (i think that's what it was) and it wasn't half bad either.

Me too - and why did NO ONE TELL ME THERE WAS A NEW SERIES OF FROST!!!!!!

I've missed at least two. Grrrr.
I think I heard somewhere that the next (or the current) one is going to be the last as David Jason was getting bored with it. Can anyone confirm that?

mab
10-30-2008, 08:30 PM
I think QI is one of the best comedy shows on tv. Not only funny, but also has some good informative things on it too.

Yeah...I'm always coming out with weird facts learnt from there. I think it annoys my OH when I correct his Alan Davies-like assumptions...apparently I have a misplaced faith in the infallible power of Stephen Fry. But he is our greatest national treasure ;)

Sophia
10-30-2008, 09:38 PM
I think QI is one of the best comedy shows on tv. Not only funny, but also has some good informative things on it too. I watched a new series on Dave the other day called Argumental (i think that's what it was) and it wasn't half bad either.

I love QI; Stephen Fry can do no wrong, for me. :) I like the series he's doing at the moment on America, too, although it's very rushed.

I watched Argumental - great fun. :)

I think I heard somewhere that the next (or the current) one is going to be the last as David Jason was getting bored with it. Can anyone confirm that?

I don't think he's bored. I read an article on the BBC news page a while ago that suggested his age was a factor for him - he thought he was too old to continue with it, IIRC.

Calla Lily
10-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Primeval.

BBC America is playing it now. It's growing on me.

clockwork
10-30-2008, 11:09 PM
And I must admit the BBC does the odd good documentary, although for the most part I think they're a waste of a license fee.

Yeah, they're good for investigative stuff. Panorama, Horizon etc are long-running and well respected though Channel 4 are serious competition these days. But when it comes to natural history, the Beeb is top. Quite simply no-one in the world does better natural history documentaries than they do.

jvc
11-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Watched Top Gear last night and it is still a brilliant tv show, one of the best imho.

Ageless Stranger
11-05-2008, 01:03 AM
HIGNFY.

That show is hysterical. Paul Merton and Ian Hislop make a brilliant team. I can't watch that show without cracking up all over the place. Oh and Nevermind the Buzzcocks. But I preferred Mark Lamarr as host.

jst5150
11-05-2008, 01:12 AM
English Premiere League on Fox Soccer Channel. :)

Mr Flibble
11-05-2008, 01:13 AM
HIGNFY.

Lol Tom Baker the other night was hilarious. That and QI are my two staples when I'm on a downer - cheer me up a treat.

Ageless Stranger
11-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Lol Tom Baker the other night was hilarious. That and QI are my two staples when I'm on a downer - cheer me up a treat.

Tom Baker was on? Doctor Fricken Who? Was it a new episode???

Mr Flibble
11-05-2008, 01:24 AM
Tom Baker was on? Doctor Fricken Who? Was it a new episode???

Must have been - they were waffling on about Ross and Brand. Seriously, I want to know what drugs he's on *snicker*

Ageless Stranger
11-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Must have been - they were waffling on about Ross and Brand. Seriously, I want to know what drugs he's on *snicker*

LMAO! Watched it on Catch up on demand and it was hilarious. Tom Baker has officially gone nuts.

jvc
11-10-2008, 03:40 AM
Top Gear is back and still a great show. The team was in America this week with another challenge and even though they weren't meant to be entertaining as dictated to by the US state department, they of course were.

The morse code in the background when Stig drove the car last week spelled out a message about how bad Strictly Come Dancing was. Very subtle.

MrWrite
11-10-2008, 04:59 AM
English Premiere League on Fox Soccer Channel. :)

What game did you watch? I was able to watch my Spurs team play today on a live internet feed. They were also on Fox soccer on Thursday in the UEFA cup match.
Do you have a favourite English team?

Sophia
11-10-2008, 11:53 AM
The morse code in the background when Stig drove the car last week spelled out a message about how bad Strictly Come Dancing was.

Oh, interesting little bit of info, thanks for that!

(Sophia, SCD fan... :D )

Bmwhtly
11-10-2008, 12:18 PM
English Premiere LeagueYou mean the Andrex League?

Andrex, because it's soft and un-necessarily expensive :P

OK, I borrowed that from Lawrence Dallaglio.

maxmordon
11-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Last week I saw the entire series of Blackadder Goes Forth in youtube, just marvelous!

waylander
11-25-2008, 07:30 PM
There is rumoured to be a Blackadder Christmas Special this year.

Bmwhtly
11-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Did anyone watch Survivors on the BBC on Sunday night?

Did anyone watch Survivors in the Seventies?

Would anyone like to compare and contrast?

maxmordon
11-25-2008, 10:31 PM
There is rumoured to be a Blackadder Christmas Special this year.

Oh, I hope so! The Milennium Special was just great with that ending. Ever seen the previous Blackadder Christmas Special? With Ebeneezer Blackadder; the nicest man in Victorian England?

Bmwhtly
02-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Peep Show's coming back!!

A whole shiny, new series will be on the telly this year!

YAY!

message ends

kristin724
02-03-2009, 04:55 AM
I'll have to look at this thread in more detail, but off the top of my head I can think of a lot of older Brit TV that I really like:

the original Doctor Who
Blake's 7
Absolutely Fabulous
The Vicar of Dibley
Mr. Bean
Inspector Lynney
Hornblower and Sharpe, of course

Does Poirot count? I liked Columbo better though. I have More French and Saunders, Black Books, Spaced, and Mi5 in my queue, along with a lot of other period piece miniseries that usually come on Masterpiece Theater in the US. Technically, I guess The Tudors is British, well Irish produced really. I must say, however, I hate Ballykissangel!

I have to wiki now and find the British TV category for more. I just watched the Extremely Dangerous miniseries. Very good!

ALLWritety
02-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Having returned back to the UK my verdict is 95% of British TV is ABSOLUTLEY RUBBISH. There are a few really good progs but most by far is trash. IMHO. I really hope that better programs can be made soon.

Kev

jvc
02-04-2009, 03:24 AM
Having returned back to the UK my verdict is 95% of British TV is ABSOLUTLEY RUBBISH. There are a few really good progs but most by far is trash. IMHO. I really hope that better programs can be made soon.

Kev
I have to really disagree with here. It's no-where near as bad as you're making it out to be. I'd say about 92% rubbish. Very dissapointed with Demons at the moment. And it had potential.

truelyana
02-04-2009, 03:40 AM
Is anyone watching the episodes of Oz and James Drink to Britain (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hjc02) on BBC2 every tuesday at 20:00?
I'm enjoying it. :) I love their sense of adventure, and their charismatic partnership. They are great together, plus the wisdom and history of drink is a hard miss. :D

jvc
02-04-2009, 03:50 AM
Is anyone watching the episodes of Oz and James Drink to Britain (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hjc02) on BBC2 every tuesday at 20:00?
I'm enjoying it. :) I love their sense of adventure, and their charismatic partnership. They are great together, plus the wisdom and history of drink is a hard miss. :D
I keep missing it. Although I've taped tonight's episode, so will watch it tommorrow.

rosiecotton
02-04-2009, 04:36 AM
Dorky confession from a Brit living in the US - I miss University Challenge.

kristin724
02-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Some British TV I really like simply because it is different and obscure, and actually really good for being low budget and obscure. I do, however, currently hate everything on BBC America. I don't like this new reality or juvenile sf fantasy stuff that's around. I miss the classics. I think 95% of stuff on American TV is rubbish, too. Most modern TV is a downgrade imo.

truelyana
02-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Terry Pratchett is on now sharing he's experiences with Alzheimer's. This is on BBC2. I did intend on watching, but because I just got home recently I shall miss it. (Got to wake up early for work-and need a good night rest)

truelyana
02-05-2009, 01:15 AM
I keep missing it. Although I've taped tonight's episode, so will watch it tommorrow.

It's brilliant, well I certaintly think so. :)

Let me know, how you found it.

girlyswot
02-05-2009, 01:29 AM
Having returned back to the UK my verdict is 95% of British TV is ABSOLUTLEY RUBBISH.

From where? I recently returned to the UK after two years in the US and I have found British TV to be like a breath of fresh air. Real programmes, for intelligent people, without constant commercials (even on the commercial channels, the breaks are fewer and shorter than in the US). I wouldn't swap it for anything.

ALLWritety
02-05-2009, 04:36 AM
From where? I recently returned to the UK after two years in the US and I have found British TV to be like a breath of fresh air. Real programmes, for intelligent people, without constant commercials (even on the commercial channels, the breaks are fewer and shorter than in the US). I wouldn't swap it for anything.

I was in Taiwan for 10 years and the TV over there was DIRE. Of the British stuff there are a few shows like Dr Who. (I have only seen the Christmas Special!!) and a few American TV shows i like. Over all I am not impressed. Some look promising but then fail when they start. Also i only have the basic 5 channels. I don't have freeview or sky or cable etc so my choices are limited.

Kev

ALLWritety
02-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Real programmes, without constant commercials (even on the commercial channels, the breaks are fewer and shorter than in the US). I wouldn't swap it for anything.

I agree wih you here. USA is like "Break City" it seems they have a commercial every few minutes!!!!

Kev

girlyswot
02-05-2009, 03:43 PM
The thing I couldn't get over is the commercial breaks immediately after the opening credits - before the programme has even started!

zahra
01-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Unashamed bump.

The only Brit-made things I can tolerate on UK TV at the moment are Being Human, Material Girl and Law and Order UK.

I caught 'On the Buses' the other day and the main thing that struck me was that the men who laughed at Olive's looks were way uglier than she was, older and looked it, and yet were supposed to be dolly-bird-magnets! How times have changed...

I liked 'Turn of the Screw' over Xmas. I know it wasn't for the purists, but the story is written with such coyness that it was good to see the issues up out front, instead of the hints and euphemisms of the time.

Shakesbear
01-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Zahra 'On the Buses' is very old! I think it was made between '69 and '73 and times have indeed changed!

I sort of liked 'Turn of the Screw' - found it very atmospheric.

BigWords
01-24-2010, 08:56 PM
I didn't catch any of the On The Buses shows when they were on, but I'm delighted that The Sweeney (the best British cop show ever) is being broadcast again. If only police were able to act like that in real life - most of the problems we're facing could be solved (or at least made bearable) by letting police kick the shit out of criminals...

Mr Flibble
01-24-2010, 09:01 PM
but I'm delighted that The Sweeney (the best British cop show ever) is being broadcast again.

Get yer trousers on, you're nicked!

Gods I loved that show when I were a nipper.

BigWords
01-24-2010, 09:42 PM
ITV's digital channels have some brilliant shows from the 60s and 70s. Can't say that The Champions or R+H (Deceased) have held up very well, but for the most part they are watchable. More watchable than, say, the endless reality shows. I've seen "Celebrity" editions of shows where I haven't recognized a SINGLE PERSON. Those people shouldn't be on celebrity shows... (I could rant here for a few thousand words on how the debasement of famous individuals has reached a nadir, but I would get only get this post shunted off to TIO)

zahra
01-24-2010, 09:43 PM
I didn't catch any of the On The Buses shows when they were on, but I'm delighted that The Sweeney (the best British cop show ever) is being broadcast again. If only police were able to act like that in real life - most of the problems we're facing could be solved (or at least made bearable) by letting police kick the shit out of criminals...
Bet you're a 'Life on Mars' fan, then!

Actually, when I did catch a re-run of The Sweeney, all I kept thinking was, 'And that's why the police force had to be reformed'. And I thought Life on Mars did not go far enough showing how corrupt the Old Bill used to be. 'Red Riding', now - that told the truth.

BigWords
01-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Bet you're a 'Life on Mars' fan, then!

Suspect - "I want a lawyer."
Gene Hunt - " I wanna hump Britt Ekland... What are we gonna do?"

Awesome show. :D

Shakesbear
01-24-2010, 10:15 PM
I never watched The Sweeney. Did watch Ashes to Ashes - loved it! "You've been Quattro'ed!" Acting was bloody good as well. I also thought that the mystery of how and why she (can't remember names!) went back was well stretched out.

Ellefire
01-24-2010, 10:41 PM
I liked 'Turn of the Screw' over Xmas. I know it wasn't for the purists, but the story is written with such coyness that it was good to see the issues up out front, instead of the hints and euphemisms of the time.

Which version? BBC and ITV both had it on, both running at about an hour and a half.

ITV version (http://www.spring.net/karenr/mdbro/tots.html)

BBC version (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pk76h)

I preferred the BBC version, Miles was creepier and the storyline grittier.

zahra
01-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Which version? BBC and ITV both had it on, both running at about an hour and a half.

ITV version (http://www.spring.net/karenr/mdbro/tots.html)

BBC version (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pk76h)

I preferred the BBC version, Miles was creepier and the storyline grittier.
BBC, I believe. I had seen the other one before, the one where the governess went around with her mouth gaping open all the time - very annoying. I think it was supposed to denote sexuality.

Yeah, the grittier one was much better. I don't usually hold with sexing-up or modernising classics, but TOTS, the book, seems to drown in its own innuendo just because it daren't say what's really going on, rather than for literary subtlety and we don't need to play that in 2010, so on with the real story!