Driver's License Organ Donor Database

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I just had to renew my license. I asked to be an organ donor. I had to fill out a card, and on the card was a check box for this: "Will you allow your name and address to be posted on an internet database of organ donors?"

I asked the clerk if it was a government database or an open internet database, and she had no idea. WTF? List my name and address on the internet so when someone needs an organ they can come off me? (Yes, that's a bit paranoid, but still.)

Has anyone else run across this in their state?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i would imagine it's internal for matching donors with patients more easily.

but it could also be hacked by the chinese and russian and mafias, and they could show up at your door with a rusty knife and an ice-chest.

sleep with one eye open.

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you understand :)

If it is internal though, shouldn't the clerk know this? Or shouldn't it be stated on the card itself?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Not here in GA. At least, they didn't ask. Who knows what they do with my information, but I do like that I now have a driver's license that doesn't have to be renewed again until 2017.

Good for you for being an organ donor. I'm one, too. I have a few friends who are freaked out by the idea of being harvested, but I figure, what the heck? I ain't gonna be using them anymore. Hell, they could put me in the Bodies exhibit for all I care, just don't go putting me in the ground.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
If it is internal though, shouldn't the clerk know this? Or shouldn't it be stated on the card itself?

state employees typically must only demonstrate the ability to attach the velcro straps on their shoes for consideration for employment.

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
state employees typically must only demonstrate the ability to attach the velcro straps on their shoes for consideration for employment.

Honestly, I was pretty happy that this one even spoke English. She did look at me funny when she handed me the card, and fingered the crucifix around her neck. Made me wonder if she had something against it.

But I pay way too much attention to the little things people do. I love minutia.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
true story... when i went to get my texas license, the clerk asked me if i wanted to be an organ donor. i said, "sure!". she turned around, presumably to get a form, and by the time she turned back, i had ripped out my spleen and slapped it down on the counter.

man, how we all laughed...

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
Did she file it under "S" or "P" for psycho?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
curiously, she stuck it in her purse, mumbling something about a sick aunt.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spleens are not worth much though, are they?

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
If said aunt develops weird Haskins-isms, do you think they'll send you a form asking about her sudden preference for pirate hats and Poe?

jordijoy

In pursuit!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandrafoy.blogspot.com
I would never be an organ donor! Ever! Never! I have a fear of having my precious organ hi-jacked while they're still in use. Saw amovie about that type of thing years ago and it left scarred for life.

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
Don't they have to keep the organs in use, on life support, before they can be harvested anyway?

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Spleens are not worth much though, are they?
Nope. And not terribly edible, either. Not even w/ loads of spices. Liver's much better. Unless, the prior owner was a drunk.

Don't they have to keep the organs in use, on life support, before they can be harvested anyway?
Just on ice.

I'm an organ donor, too. No big deal when I renewed my license. I asked and my new license has a heart on it. That was it. Nothing to fill out. Not for me, anyway. I'd no idea it was so simple.

They entered me into the system. So, when I kick off, they keep me on life support until all the useful stuff is harvested. Then, I go the way of the urn, and that's that. Sprinkled out over the ocean, so I don't take up valuable real estate.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I just had to renew my license. I asked to be an organ donor. I had to fill out a card, and on the card was a check box for this: "Will you allow your name and address to be posted on an internet database of organ donors?"

I asked the clerk if it was a government database or an open internet database, and she had no idea. WTF? List my name and address on the internet so when someone needs an organ they can come off me? (Yes, that's a bit paranoid, but still.)

Has anyone else run across this in their state?
Considering the state is running this, they'll probably screw it up and you'll end up on a sex offender registry.

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
Considering the state is running this, they'll probably screw it up and you'll end up on a sex offender registry.

Now I'm really glad I didn't check the 'share' box. Sheesh.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've always been an organ donor but I haven't lived in TX for a very long time.

I'm glad.

WTF? was my initial reaction. Hell, no you can't. Sheesh people.

And Haskins, is Chianti better with spleen? I thought a light Bordeaux would give a better balance. Especially since I like mine sauteed in butter with shallots.