Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
What do you think of novels and short stories inspired by the superhero concept (such as the "Wild Cards" anthology)? I've often thought the idea was great. Yet when I think about it, while I've bought novels and anthologies along these lines, I can't remember ever finishing many such stories. I didn't even get far into the first "Wild Cards" book. Is it just me? Was I having a bad day? Is it because my brain expects superheroes to be in a visual medium? (Am I rambling? :D) As I think back, most of the novels and stories that I've enjoyed have been loving parodies rather than outright tributes, but maybe I've been reading the wrong ones. Or maybe I'm missing some obvious examples because I thoguht of them as novels rather than "superhero novels."

So what novels and short stories inspired by superheroes do you recommend? Can you recommend some stories along these lines that might be inspired by comics in a broader sense? (For example, getting away from superheroes, some of Ramsey Campbell's early horror stories reminded many people of EC horror comics of the 1950s because of their grisly surprise endings. And some SF and fantasy adventures might be seen as superheroes, in a way.)

Also, what do I do with my brain? It poked me and reminded me that I had wanted to try writing stories inspired by superhero comics.
:e2poke:
Should I poke it back and remind it to work on my WIP (a fantasy novel)? Heck, I've been out of reading comic books for a while. (Not because I didn't like them but because I couldn't keep up. :))

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
My own personal take on it is this--

A character running around in Spandex and a mask works in a visual medium, whether comics or film.

However, when that same character is translated into cold prose, the whole thing comes off as a trifle ridiculous.

I think in prose you can stretch the parameters--certainly my Outlanders series owes a whole a hell of a lot to comics, from extreme characters to a cinematic style of storytelling--but in comics, categories like detective fiction and even westerns tend to suffer in comparision.

A few years back I came across a comics adaptation of Raymond Chandler's The Little Sister.

The art was good, but the entire work came off as leaden and left me with the sense that it was done to see if it could be done.

My own rule of thumb was that if you could tell the same story in comics that you could in prose, it's probably best to stick with prose.

Status
Not open for further replies.