Look Ya'll!

Status
Not open for further replies.

runic 7

My fourth rejection letter for "The Analogies of the Living Ancient, Ki" with some good advice attached! :D

But, then I'm getting somewhere! I can do that one. I had it set up in two originally! Ooohhh! And I get to use my Illustration of 'Mother Ki and the Rainbow Child' for the second one if the first gets published . . . Cool! :grin :clover

Actually though, I'm a Mrs. :wha

Mr. Roggenbuck,

Your novel is too long for our consideration. I recommend you cut the
down novel significantly. Most publishers will be interested in
80,000-120,000 words. Alternatively you could split the novel into 2
books. If you choose to do this I recommend that you make the first
half
a completely stand-alone novel. Most publishers will be hesitant to
publisher the first book in a series from an unknown author.

Thanks for considering us,
Jacob Kier
www.permtuedpress.com

Uuuhhmm does this mean that I could retry some of the same publishers if I cut Ki into two parts?

Pthom

Others may have different advice, and maybe better, but I say do it. Re-write your story, abide by their limitations, and resubmit.

Writing Again

Re: Those pesky typos

If you follow their advice completely; make both stories stand alone: Then I would.

When you resubmit to the other markets you could make it plain that you have two novels written: or even send a query letter asking if they would wish to see only the first novel or both novels.

I remember a publisher once saying he would have passed on one mystery writers work because it did not "stand out enough" but the writer had submitted three full novels therefore the publisher figured, "He may not be a great genius but he has the determination to keep producing." He said the series turned out to be "moderately successful" and "dependable."

runic 7

Thanks guys :D

Since he's the second publisher that offered that it was the word count, I'll work with the two part novel on "Ki". I had originally done it that way anyway. Plus, I'm still working on a chapter by chapter synopsis :ack My advice, as I have learned in doing this, 'tis best and more than likely easiest to do one as you go along, not after it's written.

The first publisher who rejected "Ki" based on the word count hasn't rejected a second book "The Irony of Helena, May She rest in Peace" that I sent a query letter and synopsis in for yet, so . . . Maybe there's some hope. Ya never know.

Actually, ;) I kind of like it when professionals screw up with typos and such, let's me know that nobody is perfect. Takes a little bit of the pressure off. Ya know? :gone :ssh

:snoopy Ya'll have a good one!

runic7

dannyne330

Perhaps you've been over this on different threads, so forgive me if I missed it, but-

Why not try to cut your novel down to the desired length? How long is it anyway? Are you sure every word currently written is absotively posilutely necessary? I'm sure it's tough to part ways with your written word, but perhaps it would be easier than splitting it into two novels that stand entirely on their own.

Maybe a subplot can be completely removed from this book. Even more likely, maybe that subplot deserves a novel all to itself, to be written at a later date...after this one is on the bookshelves and people want to see more of the world you've shared with us.

Getting one book published seems hard enough; why split your efforts between 2 at the same time?

A battle fought on too many a front, is remembered as a massacre more often than naught.

Just a point to ponder.

Good luck, and Cheers!

preyer

ah, but sun tzu say, paraphrased, 'plunge your army deep into enemy territory.'

that was going to be my question, about the word count. did they read it or was it rejected based solely on its length? how are you at editing your own stuff? i always put some time between finishing and editing, it just helps me to separate my personal feelings with the words and the ruthlessness i know i'll have to employ. a 120k word book is pretty decent-sized. what does that come out to be, like 450 pages thereabouts or something near? (i'd have to sit down and do the math, which i hate.)

runic 7

Actually, I've been working on it for the last 6 or so years, I guess longer on a subconscious level. I've been editing it for around 3 years.
I have to put distance between myself and the story line for a period of time, then I can better see what needs to come out. A great deal has already come out of it.

It's a pretty involved story, covering or touching upon a great deal from prehistory to today.
The historical witness in the story has a lot of ground to cover and has to do it as unbiased to diversity and societal cultures as possible, plus give strength and a strong sense of authority to herself. She is also trying to interact with the reader.

From what I can tell through my own research, it does have a pretty diverse audience, even on the basis of controversial points of view.
People are interesting, moody critters. Things are fine in a topic that is incredibly diverse yet the same through out no matter what the cultural belief system it is found in, then totally wrong the next -- depends on what name one brings into what ever system of belief and point of view. Every cultural faction and subfaction wants to be the absolute truth of it all, yet the truth is in the core quietly waiting for the rest to fall away.
What I have learned is that no matter what cultural/ ritualistic system of belief one follows, the primary core of the topic is well understood by the majority of people. It just becomes confused when it becomes emeshed in names and varying forms of politics.

I do intend to keep working with it as I go over the division problem to see what I can come up with.
Really, I've never asked this much of myself before, and like many here, I'm learning as I go, and fully intend to see it through.

I appreciate your inputs.

runic7

Status
Not open for further replies.