PDA

View Full Version : Content to one's detriment?

michelle25
07-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure if this will be a turn-off to agents or not - in the first few chapters of my memoir I talk about what it was like working for a talent & literary agency as an intern and how I really wanted to be an artist but was just trying to learn the business. I don't want to make it seem like I'm putting down what they (the agents, assistants, etc.) do since I'm trying to appeal to them with my work. Do you think this is a dilemma? My book doesn't focus too much on this, but in the beginning it does a little which is why I'm concerned...
I have a synopsis & query letter if anyone wants to know what it's about - if interested I can post it here...thanks!

AmyBA
07-24-2007, 11:00 PM
As long as it's relevant, I don't think would be an automatic turn-off for agents. If you'd like feedback on your synopsis/query/sample chapter, please feel free to post it in our Share Your Work board (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26) (password is vista).

Sakamonda
07-25-2007, 12:49 AM
If you have produced a well-written, marketable book, literary agents could care less what it's about---even if it's about literary agents themselves. They care about whether they can sell it. Good roman-a-clefs (what your book sounds like) can sell well, even when they portray negative aspects of the publishing industry. (Think of THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, for example)

Money drives everything in the agenting business---if agents see a potential project, regardless of topic, as something that will bring them a nice commission, they'll rep it. If they don't, they won't. It's pretty much that simple. Good luck.