french acutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I have noticed that the software provided by vBulletin appears to be 'dumb' to French acutes eg. cliches, resume.

Is this the case? Or is this something that the writer is able to supply, assuming that he knows how?I would really would like to know the answer to this.

Partly a quirk of character, but I really _do_ dislike it when people don't supply these when they are a proper part of the word. For example, the current popular 'dropping' of the French acute in the word resume-as in curriculum vitae- (sorry, maddeningly I don't know how to supply it via this software) really, really gets up my goat!

alleycat

Waiting for Godot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can cut-and-paste them from another file if it's important. For example:

Cliché (I cut and pasted that from an Outlook message file I quickly brought up.)

You might be able to do it some other way, I just don't know. Most people just overlook it on a forum because they understand why they're not there.

Last edited:

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
I think the French/foreign accents being missed off words is laziness on some writers parts. On others I guess they just don't know how to do it.
They can easily make these accents via the numeric pad on their keyboards, and if they write via MS Word, there is an easy little programme that you can download from Microsoft for an accents bar to go onto your toolbar.

From the numeric keypad on everyone's keyboard.
Hold down Alt key and press corresponding numbers. Or stick Num-lock on and do the same thing, Alt plus the little numbers on your keys.
ALT + --- ALT +
à 133 --- À 0192
â 131 --- Â 0194
ä 132 --- Ä 142
æ 145 --- Æ 146
ç 135 --- Ç 128
é 130 --- É 144
è 138 --- È 0200
ê 136 --- Ê 0202
ë 137 --- Ë 0203
î 140 --- Î 0206
ï 139 --- Ï 0207
ô 147 --- Ô 0212
œ 0156 --- Œ 0140
ù 151 --- Ù 0217
û 150 --- Û 0219
ü 129 --- Ü 154

MS Word international character toolbar

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d8e70fd2-39a4-4a01-8382-dfe35bcbac03&displaylang=en

Elodie

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

The accent marks, and Unicode, and high ASCII are all supported by vBulletin; I've posted in Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, and French.

It's a matter of the user knowing her own OS well enough to enter the keyboard commands, as Elodie-Caroline says.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What, you're telling us it's no longer okay to be dumb as a box of hammers? Damn, there goes my future.

Maryn, who's long struggled with accent marks

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
You can also do things like certain foreign currency marks (British pound, for instance, if you're in the U.S.), copyright symbol, degree symbol, certain Greek letters.

caw

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
You can also find the keystrokes in your system tools under character map, on a pc.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
That's a bit time consuming when you write as many French words as I do sometimes lol ;) When you've used the Alt key with the numbers a few times, it's pretty easy to remember and quick to do.

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
My keyboard is set on French (Canada) that come with Windows and all the accents come up, no matter where I type.

Ça marche très bien!

But then, I'm not techie enough, so my comment might be moot.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
I think the French/foreign accents being missed off words is laziness on some writers parts. On others I guess they just don't know how to do it.
They can easily make these accents via the numeric pad on their keyboards, and if they write via MS Word, there is an easy little programme that you can download from Microsoft for an accents bar to go onto your toolbar.

Hold down Alt key and press corresponding numbers. Or stick Num-lock on and do the same thing, Alt plus the little numbers on your keys.
ALT + --- ALT +
à 133 --- À 0192
â 131 --- Â 0194
ä 132 --- Ä 142
æ 145 --- Æ 146
ç 135 --- Ç 128
é 130 --- É 144
è 138 --- È 0200
ê 136 --- Ê 0202
ë 137 --- Ë 0203
î 140 --- Î 0206
ï 139 --- Ï 0207
ô 147 --- Ô 0212
œ 0156 --- Œ 0140
ù 151 --- Ù 0217
û 150 --- Û 0219
ü 129 --- Ü 154

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d2-39a4-4a01-8382-dfe35bcbac03&displaylang=en

Elodie

Thanks for that. I sometimes need to write in French, and had to copy-paste all the accents.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score

ALT + --- ALT +
à 133 --- À 0192
â 131 --- Â 0194
ä 132 --- Ä 142
æ 145 --- Æ 146
ç 135 --- Ç 128
é 130 --- É 144
è 138 --- È 0200
ê 136 --- Ê 0202
ë 137 --- Ë 0203
î 140 --- Î 0206
ï 139 --- Ï 0207
ô 147 --- Ô 0212
œ 0156 --- Œ 0140
ù 151 --- Ù 0217
û 150 --- Û 0219
ü 129 --- Ü 154

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d2-39a4-4a01-8382-dfe35bcbac03&displaylang=en

Elodie

Xx|Okay, this bugs me--always has. This does not work for me. How do you do it? Is it like a control command, or do you have to do something else? Because holding down my alt and pressing the numbers, simultaneously or one-after-another, or just pressing and releasing ALT and doing the same, does nothing. Except, in MSWorksWord, I get the little ding-beep sound that you get when you can't do something. :/

I want this to work for me, because I have a character who's name starts with that "Æ" (copy-pasted from your list), another with an accented E in his name, so on and so forth. I don't like copy-pasting all the time. *proceeds to pout*

Halp? *puppy eyes*

Edit--I think I got it. Ha. Okay, nevermind. Although I can't see the numbers (numlock turns m, j,k,l,u,i,o,7,8, and 9 into the numbers XD), I think I can get it. Thanks. :tongue
|xX

Last edited:

Enraptured

Narrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoecannon.com
I could never get it to work either. Testing it out today, I figured out part of my problem - I've been using the numbers above the keys, not the keypad (I never ever use the keypad, so I tend to forget it's there). Also, you have to hit each number one by one - not all at once, as I had been assuming.

It's definitely not simple to figure out, so I don't think failure to do it should be considered laziness.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Xx|That's what I had been doing. I never thought I had a keypad, and I never knew what "numlock" was. I'm relieved I finally got it, though. XD

And now...
Ælfric Jónsson. Ha. I just have to remember the numbers, now. Very cool.

Definitely not. It seems so simple once you get it, but that little keypad versus numbers thing is harder to know than it would seem. Weird.

Anyway. Thanks for the numbers, btw, Elodie. :3
|xX

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
If I want to be completely understandable in foreign script, I do what I do when visiting a different country: stick with good-old English but use LARGE, BOLD FONTS AND TYPE...VERY...SLOW...LY.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL @ Frank. :D

One I use regularly is the ¢ symbol (alt-0162).

My keyboard is set on French (Canada) that come with Windows and all the accents come up, no matter where I type.

Ça marche très bien!

But then, I'm not techie enough, so my comment might be moot.
Exactly. It's the language you have your keyboard set to that matters.

But - if you're set to English and need other characters occasionally, the ALT-codes work like a charm.

For those still having trouble, the process is:
  • hold down the ALT key
  • type the code in sequence (one digit at a time)
  • release the alt key and the character should appear
That's basically it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.