show and tell vs fiction and non fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hownottobeastepmum.blogspot.com
I have read a few biographies (Gordon Ramsay at present) and get confused over the show and tell.

He tells an awful lot.

Now I have been told to show but if I am going to write a type of biography on my experiences, how do I balance show v's tell? These famous people don't.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Show vs. tell, is always a balance. It's not "always show, never tell", it's more like "show what's important so the reader can easily visualize the scene, tell when the detail is insignificant." And you're right, in nonfiction there's often more "tell" than "show".

If it's an important episode you're trying to get across to a reader, then describe it in the most clear and "visualizing" way you can.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Alleycat summed it up nicely. I can't think of the author off the top of my head, I know a sin, but the latest bio on Ben Franklin is a good example of how to mesh the show and tell into a book that dosen't become so dry you can't read past the 5th page.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I just have to psot and say that I am glad to be part of AW. It's so wonderful to come on and check out the various discussions, joining in when appropriate. :D I just started a narrative non-fiction book and have great hope for it, my new WIP. :) But primarily I write fiction. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.