LOTTERY by Patricia Wood

How many of you have read Lottery by Patricia Wood?

• I have not.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • I am going to.

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • I have.

Votes: 52 45.2%

• Total voters

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
This thread is for discussion of Lottery, and hopefully the opportunity to ask author and fellow AWer Patricia Wood anything we'd like to know about her writing processes and publishing experiences. Lottery was slated to come out in bookstores later this month but has already begun to make appearances in stores around the country. I just finished it yesterday and am still all atingle from it! The book is fiction, about a mentally challenged young man named Perry who wins the lottery for $12 million. I found it entertaining as well as thoughtful and educational. Lots of fun to read, and I'm not a big fiction reader. I hope you'll pick up a copy and share your thoughts about it here.
Polly

>http://www.amazon.com/dp/0399154493/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

NOTE: Be careful to avoid spoilers by not naming characters unless necessary, and by not revealing plot twists or other events. Thanks!

Last edited:

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I was asked about doing this thread and I think it is a terrific idea. Any and all questions / comments are welcome. Many have asked me about querying Lottery, about how I revised and edited it and the journey still others have been curious about the characters and plot and how I came up with the premise.
Ask away!

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Thanks Patricia Wood!

Thanks, total coolness, Orion.

I found the book inspirational as a memoirist because your (fictional) book was written in the first person and Perry had such a clear voice. I have written dry clinical reports for so many years that I am now having to re-learn to write for my memoir. I guess it's more about reaching inside and finding my own true voice. You did such a beautiful job of creating Perry's character without "telling" us anything about him. You seem very different from Perry. How did you create such a clear voice for him? Especially since he is fictional?

Tech ques: How different is the book from your first draft? I loved how in On Writing Stephen King shows some actual examples of his first drafts, then the correlating finished products. How different are yours? And just to make me feel better, how truly bad was your first draft?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I incorporated a certain amount of my academic research along with my teaching experience but ultimately it was my dramatic personality that evoked the character. I became the character. I figured out eating preferences, likes and dislikes in dress, in comfort level. What hurt his feelings. What he looked like. Favorite phrases. I think characterization is critical to an authentic experience for the reader.
I think the main difference between drafts were the narrative portions-- most became expanded into real time scenes. For the last edits with my editor I went through each chapter and determined how each drove the plot forward. If there was no reason for a scene whether for plot or characterization -- it was cut.
My first draft was not bad actually. That was the one that Paul Theroux read- When he finished it he predicted it would be my first book published.
He was right.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
what abt that shocking -----?

A surprsing twist occurred near the end of the book. Without giving spoilers, why was this in the book? Was it something you planned from the start, or was it later added for dramatic effect?

Also, one chacter was quite the farter. Was the "we've all known a farter" factor why you made him a farter - because every reader would relate?

Last edited:

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
The premise and basic plot evolved through understanding my characters and what they might do. Planning comes into the picture when examining the plot arc.
Things like proclivity for bodily functions are a part of making the characters whole and real.
I think this is often a missing part in characterization. No one has diarrhea, they don't get sick unless they are dying, no one farts, etc.
I spend a lot of time around marinas, fishermen and fuel docks -- I get LOTS of ideas on how to make characters real.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I had the pleasure of reading Lottery a couple months ago :)tongue). I read it in one sitting, pretty much walking from one room to the other with the book in hand. The reason I mention that is because it's one of those stories you remember long after you finish it. I still find myself occasionally thinking of things in the book, and whenever I happen to see a mentioned here, I think of digging back out the ARC. (Gonna buy a copy next month, though.)

Final thought: One of the most masterful things you did was letting on to the reader what everyone around Perry was really doing through his naive thoughts and ideas, without Perry ever figuring it out himself.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
How long have you been writing? And how long did it take you to write this book? After this I promise to give you a break for a while. Hours of lawn mowing ahead!

Last edited:

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
where to find Lottery

Orion, do you know of the stores where it's been popping up? Maybe they'd be willing to send an order thru the mail. It's also possible it would come early from Amazon if pre-ordered. I pre-ordered the first season of Project Runway there a couple of years ago and that came in my mailbox prior to the official release date.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
The bookstores that have it early are the independents. If you call around it is likely you can find it. If you want it early email me ([email protected]) and I can put you in touch with a bookseller that is selling it already.
RE: Deadly - I experimented with a lot of effects that would give the atmosphere I wanted. It was trial and error mostly.
Like most of us I have written my whole life but actually started FINISHING my novels over the last 3 years. LOTTERY is my third novel and took five months from the very first words to offer of representation.
The editing (polishing) before submission took four months and the editing after the sale only took a month and a half. I credit my agent for helping me get it whipped into shape so that Putnam was confident they could publish in less than a year. (Keep in mind they bought it Dec 6, 2006 and it is on the shelf now - 8 months - which is blazingly fast).

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
BestSellers Independent bookstore in Honolulu has Lottery and is selling it.
You might call them and see if you can have one sent to you.
1001 Bishop Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
808-528-2389
email [email protected]

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
That's great to know Pat, thanks. Is there any chance of you going in and signing some? Then if we had any sent to the mainland we could actually have signed copies.

I'm asking this w/o knowing anything about what life in Hawaii is really like, especially life when residing on a boat, so if this is an impossiblity due to logistics or whatever please excuse me. As Perry would say, it would just be so cool!

I have an arc and am looking forward to the real deal.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I did sign some stock for them so it is possible to get a signed one sent. I will be doing a regular book signing at the store on August 2 at noon (downtown Honolulu).

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
email for bookstore with Lottery?

Do they have an email addy? I saw their phone number online but didn't find a web site or email.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
writing schedules

Adhering to a writing schedule is difficult because I have to go with the flow of what's happening with our sons and their various activities. This is especially frustrating now that they are home for the summer. Do you have a schedule, when do you write, and are you disciplined?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Right now there are too many distractions to be disciplined!
Hopefully things will calm down when LOTTERY is released!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
So, have we all read Lottery now? I read it about a month ago, it was a delight. Can we discuss 'spoilers' now???

I was looking for threads on "lottery" and can't find a more "appropriate" thread to put this in, but... I was at the North Point Barnes & Noble:
http://storelocator.barnesandnoble.com/storedetail.do?store=1955
last night, and didn't see "Lottery" in the usual 'new fiction' section, but it was in a nearby section called "Our Associates' Recommendations" or some such - each selection has a short handwritten note of two or three lines describing it. I thought that was neat, and Patricia would want to know...

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
OK guys I'm here! I'll check in and if you have questions for me I'm game!
Have you all done your amazon reviews? LOL

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Orion,

I have a few questions.

Did you already have an agent before you queried Lottery? If not, how did you sign on with that agent? Can you describe the process of acquiring him/her?

Without getting into specifics numbers, what kind of advance did you obtain? Was it HUGE? Average? Enough to live on?

Do you still enjoy going back and reading through your favorite parts of Lottery now that it's finished? Does it "look" different now that it's published?

Thanks!

allen

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
OK here goes. I will be brutally honest as most of this can be found out on Publishers Marketplace (advances are not a secret) if you know where to look.
1. LOTTERY got me my agent. I was taken directly out of the slush pile. I emailed a query letter and first 5 pages and I got a request for a FULL in 40 minutes. It wasn't until my agent offered that she realized my father won the Lottery and I was in a PhD program in disability. Dorian went by my short hook and the first five pages (they have not really differed from the draft to the final manuscript so you might take a look) I looked for agents who like quirky and represented a wider range of authors. I spent time reading the deals on PM to get an idea of who represented what and how many deals they made. It was also good practice for hook writing.
2. WMA is brilliant and Dorian is amazing. My advance was over a quarter of a million dollars - for north american rights (this is when having that agent is CRUCIAL). After that sale the foreign rights have been selling (12 other countries and counting) which has pushed the advance further until it is almost a half million. Remember my book has to earn out in all those countries AND in the US.(I'm not complaining but I'm still writing and my life style has NOT changed). Keep in mind with all the taxes and the SLOW payments - it is nice. It goes into the bank but it would not be enough for my husband to completely quit his job or for me to stop writing and relax.
3. I still go back and read parts as I have talks and readings and discussions with book clubs. LOTTERY is so familiar to me it is a part of me. I have never understood authors who say they don't go back and read their books. I am proud of LOTTERY- many sections are those I remember and re read- I miss these characters and it's been hard to move on to my next novel. I have only just recently created a character I am falling in love with as I did keith and perry. With that I can move on...
Thanks for asking. I hope it helps.
BTW my entire agent story process is in the early posts of my blog.