CHARACTER NAMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty T

What do you guys do, think up the character and then give him/her a name or think of their name and then visualize them.

kevacho

Ty,

Sometimes a little bit of both. I've come up with the titles to novels and short stories before and written the entire book, and or story, around that. If you're stuck on names you can always peruse the phone book. Names can be important and they do evoke predisposed images, whether the writer likes it or not. A name like Charlie Puttnam, for instance, has a completely different connotation and "vibe" about it than, say for example John Ryder.

At least, that's how I see it. Albeit, I have an addled artists' brain, which in a sense could mean that this is all subjective, and in that particular case you shouldn't listen to me.:p

Just follow your gut. It won't steer you wrong.

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

"Mmmmm.... coffee! Sweet, sweet... coffee!":coffee

Greenwolf103

What I do is spend a little time with my characters. I talk with them, write out tidbits about them, see how they live their lives, let them talk on their own, etc. The name usually comes to me on its own from this.

One scene came to my head where the character's name was shouted. I only got his first name but I know that, in time, I'll get his last. I have yet to start this story, anyway; right now, I am "living with" these characters before I tell their story.

There is only one instance where I gave an unknown character her name, but the name ended up fitting.

Eowyn Eomer

I have the character visualized and then try to figure out what his or her name is based upon their personality.

mr mistook

I started to run into problems with too many of my character names starting with the same letter. Things got confusing when they were all in the same room. I had to change a few names.

As a reader, I think some names can be too distracting. For instance if the name is so exotic that you can't figure out how to pronounce it. On the other hand, if everybody in the story has common names like Jack, Dave, Ed, Sue, etc.. it can lead to some confusion. Which guy was Ed? Was that the husband or the lover?

preyer

i think that's a good point, mm.

fantasy names like llowen'yl or some crap gets tendious real fast. or like old irish names which almost seem to sound nothing like they're spelled. i never appreciated having to wrap my brain around a name every time i see it. to me, if it doesn't sound very closely to the way it's written, i don't like it. there are far too many names out there to not at least pick a good one if you can't think up one on your own.

kind of a side story: my wife and i were watching 'queen of the damned' (she liked that dumb movie-- blech) and out of nowhere she says (which is unusual because normally she has to ask permission before uttering a single word, else i won't less let her do the dishes and she'll not get any lovin' that night), 'you know, i read all the books and i always thought his name was pronounced less-tot, not less-tat.' so you see, people are crazy. that's pretty much my point here, that people will read whatever name they want to in it despite your intentions and lacking a pronounciation key.

myself, i've resorted to the phone book, sure. i've downloaded lots of name lists from all sorts of eras. there are a few names i adore, like rachel and lynne. i've stolen names, like zildijan, from the cymbol maker of rather the same name. names are difficult for me, though. like mm says, i stay away from too many really common names and i avoid almost at all cost names that begin with the same letter. that's just me, but as far as generic advice from a hack goes, i think it's not too bad. i pilfer names from old stories. i steal them from history. i'll derive 'falla' from 'fallacy' for a fantasy story. sometimes i give them a dull name and use their nickname. personally, i know a bump, biscuit, cutter, mario, and tree, just to name a few. (i've actually known two 'biscuits.' odd, that, no?) i mention that because i think nicknames are often overlooked.

my name is ryan, and i've yet to use it as a character name, lol. i don't really know why. it's a good name. not weird, just a little unusual. i wonder if any author has used their own name? is it bad luck?

a pet peeve of mine is using a girl's name for a guy. why an author would do this is beyond me.

Jamesaritchie

I don't worry much about names, except that I tend to like simple, common names.

To find them, I primarily use phone books and newspapers. One nice thing about teh internet is that you can find newspapers from pretty much every country in the world online, so finding common names for any nationality isn't too difficult.

But names just aren't high on my list of priorities. Many of my characters, in fact, are simply named after people I know.

veingloree

The character tends to come first. But unless it's fantasy iuse common names -- and even for fantasy i keep it simple and easy to pronounce.

Greenwolf103

Three points on names

I, too, get turned off by names that I can't even pronounce, not even mentally. I tried this once with a fantasy novel I read (can't remember the title right now) but the author delighted in putting this character's name EVERYWHERE. Even when a "she" could've done the job better. (I read that book mumbling, "Hasn't she ever heard of PRONOUNS??") Though I have a character in my book with a name that could've been pronounced in different ways, I kinda help the reader out with the pronunciation by offering a shortened version of his name. (I guess it helps that it's the name of a Roman god.)

If I need a name that belongs to a certain culture or has a certain nationality, I will make it a point to look one up. For example, I needed a Danish name for a minor character. I think, for such instances, it would be best to look up names for that nationality/culture/etc., to get the right name for your character.

Finally, if I come across a name that I like, I'll scribble it down for later use. (Unfortunately, getting a name before a character doesn't always make the character suddenly appear all fleshed out. That takes time with sketches and such.) I also change around names that grab my interest until I find the one I want. Back to the above-mentioned character: I got his name from researching my book. I came across it as being the name of a priest. I only took out one letter of that priest's name and I had my character's name. (Hey! At least the character is a good guy!)

dub

Re: Three points on names

Baby books work great, as do telephone books (from towns in other states). I have been known to take a list of possible names and sit outside the main lounge at O'Hare airport and match faces to names, then write character development sketches based on the name and the image. The same thing works at a mall - malls will be crowded for the next couple of months, good hunting :lol .

from the swamp - dub

PixelFish

Re: Three points on names

I have several characters whose names are puns for their occupations in other languages.

I also pilfer a lot from mythology of all kinds.

cwfgal

Re: Another fun website

An anecdote about character names:

When I was writing my third novel I was approached by a non-profit group and asked if I'd be willing to participate in a fundraiser by offering to let someone's name be used for a character in my book -- no gurantees as to how big a part the character would have or if they were good or bad. I agreed and ran it by my publisher who also agreed. When the day of the auction came around I was delighted to discover that a woman I vaguely knew whose name was Andrea was determined to win my prize. The reason I was delighted was because I had over 100 pages of the novel done by then and the main character's name was none other than Andrea. Clearly this was destiny!

When the actual bidding started, a woman with dark hair and a dark complexion who looked to be of Greek descent started bidding against Andrea. It was just the two of them, back and forth, back and forth, until suddenly I heard the auctioneer say, "Sold!"

When the dust cleared, I realized there was good news and bad news. The good news was that my prize raised a very nice sum for the charity. The bad news was that it wasn't Andrea who won it. The Greek woman won it and wanted it for her daughter. Her daughter's name? Damaris Dedulonus.

Now I not only had to come up with a character for this Damaris name, I felt I couldn't keep the main character's name since it was the same as the losing bidder in the auction. How would you feel if you paid thousands of dollars to have your name used for a character in a book only to discover that the person you outbid got to be the main character without paying a cent?

I considered changing my protag's name to Damaris but I had a pretty good feel for her at this point and the name just didn't work in my mind. So I changed the main character's name and dwelled on the name Damaris for a few days to see if it would suggest a new character to me. It did and I ended up adding a character who hadn't originally been planned but who turned out to be a pivotal player. By the time I was done with the book, I couldn't have imagined Damaris's character having any other name.

Beth

preyer

damaris is a pretty good name, at least. it could have been worse. 'igimo glug' just doesn't have a good ring to it.

Mukaden

You know someone named "Igimo Glug?!?" :wha

Greenwolf103

Heh, one of my editors is named Damara.

katdad

Interesting question. I use fairly common names with a bit of variation to them.

My writing (modern private eye) is set in a very realistic mode, so I don't have goofy names or weird ones -- but not too common either.

Major characters are named with great care. My principal protagonist is "Mitchell King" so Mitch King is a pretty good name for a PI to have, hard but not too rigid.

Other principal characters, ones who will exist thru all my novel series, are "David Meierhoff" (homicide detective and Mitch's best friend), "Joseph Duggan" (homicide lieutenant, old school), and "Antonio Villarreal" or "Tony Vee" (a big muscular enforcer type.)

Small characters, I pick the names from the phone book, taking a first name from one column and mixing it with the last name from the other.

I also use ethnic names where appropriate: Tameka Willis, LaShaun Anders, Hector Gonzales, etc. I try to provide a good mix of short & long names, and variation.

None of my character names "mean" anything.

novelator

Most of the time, my character's names just show up, I hear them, or they tell me. But, here's a link to a little random name generator that I've used from time to time as well. It's based on data gathered from the US census.

www.kleimo.com/random/name.cfm

Hope this helps.

Mari

Greenwolf103

None of my character names "mean" anything.

Are all these characters American? ;)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist....)

Seriously, though. I've often wondered about something: If your character's name is obviously ethnic, say, Italian, are we obligated to show them acting in a way characteristic to their culture? For example, should Vito Marinelli start arguing with someone in Italian?

mr mistook

If your character's name is obviously ethnic, say, Italian, are we obligated to show them acting in a way characteristic to their culture?

If Vinny just came off the boat, then definitely.

If Vinny is 2nd or third generation, but living in an exclusively itallian neighborhood, then probably.

If Vinny is 5th generation, growing up in the suburbs, then no.

preyer

off-topic, but stereotypes exist for a reason-- a lot of them are real. a lot of them aren't, though, so it's good to know from some experience which ones bear out and which ones are just myth. in this case, i'd use the fact that most italians i've ever known tend to gesticulate a lot, tend to be a little loud, and say what's on their mind more often than not. i believe you need to be careful using stereotypical responses, actions, speach, etc.. i doubt anyone's going to buy luigi, the pizza place owner, saying, 'whaddya wanta onna youa pizza?' whether that stereotype is true or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.