IF A PUBLISHER ASKS YOU TO SUBMIT YOUR MS IS THAT GOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty T

If a publisher asks you to submit your material by email do you think thats a good thing

SimonSays

It's a good thing if it's a legitimate publisher.

If the publisher wants you to pay them to print or wants you to buy your own books, then it is not a good thing.

But if the publisher will pay you royatlies and can get your book on bookstore shelves, and has real editors who will do more than grammar and spell check your book, then yes it is a very good thing.

La Belle Dame sans Merci26

Like SimonSays says, if it's from a legit publisher (if you're not sure, a visit to the Bewares board on this forum may save you a lot of heart ache later on) then it sounds very good. Did you previously send them a query letter, synopsis and 1st three chapters, or something of that nature? It doesn't necessarily mean you'll be accepted, but it's certainly promising. Good luck!

James D Macdonald

Can you find some of that publisher's books already on the shelf when you walk into a bookstore? (That is, have you seen them with your own eyes?)

Jamesaritchie

Who's the publisher? No matter how a publisher asks you to submit something, irt can be good or bad, depending on whether or not the publisher is or isn't legitimate.

aka eraser

My jury is temporarily hung on the question of whether Ty is really a newbie chockful of questions or a cheeky troll.

It speaks well of the board as a whole though that he's being treated as the former.

Lori Basiewicz

Been wondering the same thing myself, Eraser. And I agree that the board has been great with their responses to Ty's questions.

Risseybug

I'll say this: if this is a reputabale publisher, by all accounts, and if they're giving you a request to read after you've sent a query, maybe even a small sample, then that means....

You've written a good query. Plain and simple. Your query has piqued their interest, and they want to see more. Does it say they are going to offer you a contract? Nope. But it does say that you've gotten further than all the other people who've received form rejection letters.
So take that to heart at least.

rtilryarms

If your Mom is a Publisher and she asks you to submit a manuscript then I would just consider the source.

Ty T

Okay thanks for all your information

They are a reputable publishers. I know that for a fact but I'd rather not say who they are yet.

Yes I suppose Iam a bit of a newbie to this sort of thing, before hand all I really was concerned about was the actual writing and not anything else

Ty T

If the publishers were Random House and Bloomsbury would that be a good thing

James D Macdonald

Yes, that would be good.

Still, be mentally prepared for no further word for weeks or months, and the ultimate word to be "no."

Work on your next book.

Status
Not open for further replies.