PDA

View Full Version : You probably don't want to know what Harry Potter thinks might happen to himself...

dclary
07-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Interview with Daniel Radcliff over on Todayshow.com.

TODAYshow.com: With the final book coming out, do you ever get a sense of impending doom? Do you think you will survive "The Deathly Hallows"?

Daniel: I think I might die in it, but thatís just my prediction. I think so, but Iíve no idea at all; I have no inside hints.

This is what I've been saying, Potter lovers. Voldemort may be defeated... But POTTER GOES WITH HIM!

MUWAHAHAAH
HAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAH
HAH!

scarletpeaches
07-07-2007, 12:12 AM
I've got an idea what will happen, but if I say, "Yeah I knew all along," the natural reaction from others would be, "Sure Nichola. We believe you."

So what I've said from the beginning is that...

POSSIBLE SPOILER - READ ON AT YOUR OWN PERIL

Remember the phoenix feather thing (?) in the wand? Only Voldemort could use the other, similar wand. So there's a connection with Harry. I bet he's really Voldemort's son. I seem to remember reading that no person could be the missing horcrux, so unless Rowling goes back on that, I'm going for the "Harry, I am your father!" ending. To defeat Voldemort, he has to top himself. Or something.

RumpleTumbler
07-07-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm going for the "Harry, I am your father!"

How original.

scarletpeaches
07-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Me or Rowling, if I'm right?

III
07-07-2007, 12:19 AM
I don't think she'd kill Harry for no other reason than there are too many psychotic fans who would literally kill themselves or try to kill her.

scarletpeaches
07-07-2007, 12:21 AM
But she's had the final chapter written since the first book came out, so unless she was prepared to re-jig the entire plot line to save her own life...;) I mean, is it worth all that work?!

Chumplet
07-07-2007, 12:22 AM
My daughter says, "Rocks fall. Everybody dies."

ChunkyC
07-07-2007, 12:22 AM
I think Harry is going to wake up next to Suzanne Pleshette and realize the whole thing was a dream. :D

Chumplet
07-07-2007, 12:24 AM
I LOVED that ending!

RumpleTumbler
07-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Me or Rowling, if I'm right?

Rowling. I guess the question is then which came first Star Wars or Harry Potter.

maestrowork
07-07-2007, 12:59 AM
I think Harry is going to wake up next to Daniel Craig (aka 007) and says, "Whew, what a dream, snookum. Now, fix me some sausage mcmuffins."

And the world rejoices.

III
07-07-2007, 01:08 AM
But she's had the final chapter written since the first book came out, so unless she was prepared to re-jig the entire plot line to save her own life...;) I mean, is it worth all that work?!

When she wrote the first one she was flat broke, but now she's richer than Brian Boitano and David Schwimmer combined, so she might want to re-consider if the story is worth dying over.

Heck, if I were her the series would end with Harry and Voldemort sharing a Pepsi on the hood of their new GMC truck, eating Dorito's, listening to their iPods and talking about new XBox games. Cha-ching!!!

ChaosTitan
07-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Can someone PM me when the book comes out and you find out for sure? I've not read a word of the HP books (or bothered with the films), but some evil little part of me is rooting for the bespectacled one to bite it.

I love a good, angsty ending.

katiemac
07-07-2007, 07:19 AM
I think Harry is going to wake up next to Suzanne Pleshette and realize the whole thing was a dream. :D

That's how Stephen Colbert says it ends (along with Hermione actually being a dude). And he's got an advanced copy, mind you. ;)

Nakhlasmoke
07-07-2007, 09:54 AM
I love the HP story, and I'm really behind Harry dying, I think it would be the most satisfying ending.

Harry has the "power the dark lord knows not" and although Dumbledore said that was love, I'm more inclined to think that that power is ultimately self-sacrifice. Since Voldy fears death above all other things, I don't think self-sacrifice is something he understands.

Also:
Hermione will not die because she's Rowling's self-insert
Draco will turn from the DE's and he'll be the token saved Slytherin.
Snape will die *weeps* and after his death Harry will discover that he was always on their side.

Thus ends the Smoke's predictions.

Lyra Jean
07-07-2007, 10:03 AM
What about Ron?

Nakhlasmoke
07-07-2007, 10:07 AM
What about Ron?

What about him? :P

Seriously, I think there's a possibility he'll die, just to serve as a catalyst for Harry's sacrifice.

And then Ginny will marry Neville and make him get green contact lenses.

jvc
07-07-2007, 05:27 PM
One thing she should have taken into account is not to annoy her fans. If she kills off Harry, then a lot of fans will be very, very unhappy and may not want to read her next series of books. So the safe course is to keep him alive to please the fans. But that's just my view.

scarletpeaches
07-07-2007, 05:37 PM
When she wrote the first one she was flat broke, but now she's richer than Brian Boitano and David Schwimmer combined...

One thing she should have taken into account is not to annoy her fans. If she kills off Harry, then a lot of fans will be very, very unhappy and may not want to read her next series of books...

Which is why she should stay true to her original vision for Harry. It's not like she needs the money from another series of books and if she changes the ending to suit whiny fans who might cry at the death of a fictional character, well...I believe that's the wrong thing to do, let fans influence how she writes her own book.

And her house is like Fort Knox already. She's probably got more security than the queen.

jvc
07-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Which is why she should stay true to her original vision for Harry. It's not like she needs the money from another series of books and if she changes the ending to suit whiny fans who might cry at the death of a fictional character, well...I believe that's the wrong thing to do, let fans influence how she writes her own book.

And her house is like Fort Knox already. She's probably got more security than the queen.

You're right, she doesn't need the money, she's a (dollar) billionaire and has more of it than she could possibly spend. Plus she's gonna get even more from this book and the movies which have yet to be released and the all the toys and stuff. However, I would imagine that even Rowling would like to write other books which will be a success. The only way of doing that is to make sure the fans are happy so they buy those future books.

The Harry Potter books have been getting gradually darker as the series comes to an end, so she has laid the ground work to kill Harry off if she so wishes, and she may just do that (if that was her original last chapter she keeps telling people she wrote at the beginning of the first book).

Whatever happens, she has to come to terms with the fact that anything she writes in the future won't be as successful as the Potter books as they won't be 'Harry Potter'. Something the critics may jump on.

Oh and btw, although I would never kill anyone off at the end of one of my stories ;) , I'm all for killing Harry off at the end of the book :D . It would bring the series of books to a complete end, and wouldn't have the 'she has to write another Harry Potter adventure to tell us what happened after he left Hogwarts', that would happen if he didn't die.

Lyra Jean
07-07-2007, 06:00 PM
If only I had her problem. :)

scarletpeaches
07-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Overuse of adverbial dialogue tags, you mean? ;)

jvc
07-07-2007, 07:28 PM
:ROFL:

Lyra Jean
07-07-2007, 08:19 PM

No, the other one. :)

Danger Jane
07-07-2007, 10:59 PM
No, the other one. :)

Overuse of adverbial everything tags?

I think Ray's got it.

The whole "Deathly Hallows" title thing is just a ploy. The REAL title is going to be "Harry Potter and the Brokeback Hogwarts CIA."

Yep.

Christine N.
07-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Okay, I have to explain this one.more.time.

I've spent the last month re-reading books 1-5. I know, I need a life. But it's been very helpful in the prediction department.

Harry will live. He was always meant to live.

"Either will die at the hand of the other, because neither can live while the other survives."

That is the prophecy. We know Voldy marked Harry, therefore insuring it was him the prohecy was about (which is also why Harry is NOT a Horcrux.). He DOES have power the Dark Lord knows not - he had his mother's love and a heart as big as all outdoors, which was how Harry expelled Voldemort when he tried to possess him at the end of book five.

Harry and Dumbledore agree that one will die and one will live. And Jo, bless her heart, has always played it straight. There have been red herrings, clues that you didn't see until she showed them to you, but there's never been a 'gotcha' or a Deus ex Machina. Not one. It all made sense at the end of the book.

She doesn't cheat. The thing with the wands has been played out in Book four. Both know they can't use their wands at the same time against each other.

So, we're left with either Voldemort or Harry. Who the hell wants Voldemort to live on? No one, no where. It would be pandemonium, and with DD gone, we're looking at a world of darkness for all eternity. And, despite it all, these ARE children's books,which in general means a HEA ending.

Now, of course there will be loss. I'm betting on Snape and either Hagrid or one of the Weasley parents. She said there was going to be a third death, but that character got a reprieve. I think that might have been Draco, Ron or Neville. Neville has a big part to play in the finale, of that I have no doubt. Actually I have a strange feeling he and Harry together (the two boys born on the same day, about which the prophecy could have been either) defeat Voldemort.

That's the way I see it.
Oh, and one more thing - I'm pretty sure that Harry is the last remaining descendant of Godric Gryffindor. That'll make the final battle between the Heir of Slytherin and the Heir of Gryffindor.

Voldemort, Harry's father. No way, not possible, especially considering Harry looks EXACTLY like James, except for he's got Lily's eyes (which they tell me is an important plot point in the last book.)

scarletpeaches
07-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Well I for one would love it if Harry died and Voldemort lived. I'm sick of the goody-goodies always winning.

Christine N.
07-07-2007, 11:54 PM
:tongue

I'll look for the Dark Mark over your house then.

scarletpeaches
07-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Voldemort's hawt.

Danger Jane
07-08-2007, 02:25 AM
I like guys with no noses, yeah.

Why can't they BOTH die?

Maybe Harry DOES win but then trips over Voldemort's wand and dies.

scarletpeaches
07-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Or maybe his body dies but his mind inhabits Voldemort's body.

rugcat
07-08-2007, 03:07 AM
Well, I don't think she'll kill him off. At least, I hope notĖit would be a shame and this is why:

One of the rarest accomplishments in literature is to create a series character so unique, or popular, or whatever, that they enter pop culture consciousness. The most famous of these is of course, Sherlock Holmes. On a lesser note, Nero Wolfe and James Bond and Travis Mcgee. Jeeves and Bertie Wooster. Tarzan. We all know who they are, even if weíve never read a single one of their books. Have you ever heard anyone ask, ďWhoís Harry Potter?Ē

It doesnít matter how good the books are. Itís literary immortality--characters who still prowl the streets of London or the jungles of AfricaĖor relax in the common rooms at Hogwarts. And they can only truly inhabit this literary netherworld if they never die. If they do, their story is completeĖand thatís a different thing.

Conan Doyle had to bring back Sherlock Holmes after he tried to kill him off, and Iím grateful he did. Somewhere, somehow, he lives on. And although I doubt Harry will ever reach those Holmesian heights, Iíd still like to see him live forever in that literary pantheon.

althrasher
07-08-2007, 05:53 AM
I think that he dies.
What would be left for him to do if he didn't? Maybe a few months of rounding up Death Eaters, then what? Settle down to an ordinary life? Very hard for people to do after war. Impossible for people who have lived almost half their lives being the central figure of a world-breaking conflict.
Anyway. That's MHO. And I'm not nearly as rich as JK.

Alexandra Little
07-08-2007, 07:51 AM
I give harry a 50/50 chance to die--JKR stated that two main characters died, so Moldybutt definitely and Harry 50% (can I hope that Draco gets it? Or Snape?)

Christine N.
07-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Not only that, but if he dies, no one will go to see the last movie :D

jvc
07-08-2007, 07:05 PM
I give harry a 50/50 chance to die--JKR stated that two main characters died, so Moldybutt definitely and Harry 50% (can I hope that Draco gets it? Or Snape?)
Didn't she do an interview recently where she said there'd be 3 deaths?

scarletpeaches
07-08-2007, 07:41 PM
She said there were going to be three, but she decided to give one a reprieve. So the death toll stands at two at the time of going to press.

jvc
07-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Was that in the Jonathon Ross interview (I missed it unfortunately)?

scarletpeaches
07-08-2007, 07:45 PM
I didn't watch it either; but that may have been where she originally said it and it was reported online (where I read it). I'll look for a link.

Ooh. Federer's two sets to one up.

jvc
07-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I didn't watch it either; but that may have been where she originally said it and it was reported online (where I read it). I'll look for a link.
I think she has described a lot of characters as main characters (probably up to a dozen of them so far). I would still say the main Characters are Harry, Ron and Hermoine (sp?).

Ooh. Federer's two sets to one up.
I'm watching that, it's nail biting stuff. Watched the Grand Prix earlier ( a good day for sport) and was dissapointed with Hamilton's third place, but still, he has had 9 podiums on the trot and still leads the championship.

scarletpeaches
07-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Here (http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1537716/08022006/story.jhtml) she mentions one character getting a reprieve but she doesn't specifically refer to this applying to HP7.

Accio Quote! (http://www.accio-quote.org/) <---Might be something in here.

Harry might die. (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=060626232443.lhc6qc94&show_article=1) To be honest, a lot of this speculation seems like Rowling-driven hype or deliberate teasers. Okay, there's no need to tease; your book's already sold in the millions by pre-order. Just leave the reader to decide whether it's any good or not.

scarletpeaches
07-08-2007, 07:58 PM
And I'm not a GP fan. It sends me to sleep. Same with cricket and golf.

But Rafa's 3-0 up in the fourth. VAMOS! :D

reigningcatsndogs
07-09-2007, 12:59 AM
The obvious ending: Harry walks into diner and sits in booth in middle of room. Voldy walks in, sits at counter then walks into ladies bathroom, and...fade to black. Problem solved, no one's happy.

Deadbeat 007
07-09-2007, 02:30 AM
I don't mind what happens to Harry, but Ron's death would be devastating. :(

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Weasleys got the boot. I'm not really speculating past that, though. The release is so close, I think I can wait this time. =]

BarbJ
07-09-2007, 08:14 PM
I think Harry lives - but I also think Dumbledore returns somehow and his death was a set-up between him and Snape. Snape, of course, is revealed as one of the good guys infiltrating the baddies. (He did make the unbreakable vow with what's-her-name, Draco's mum, so killing Dumbledore was planned ahead and necessary to save the kid.)

Either Hagrid or Hagrid's brother will die, I think. Of course, it ain't my story, so how would I know? I'm hoping - oh, can't remember! - the female teacher, McConagough or something, doesn't bite it, but she already has shown a willingness to sacrifice herself.

This is fun. There are 10 million stories in The Naked City...
:Sun:

Saanen
07-10-2007, 02:12 AM
I don't think Rowling will bring Dumbledore back. There's too many of those "he's dead--but no, he's not!" forced happy endings in children's lit as it is, and Rowling seems to shy away from that kind of thing.

I'm guessing Snape dies in some heroic way, and of course Voldemort's going to die, but I can't decide who else is going to bite it. Percy? Hagrid? It won't be Harry. It might be Neville, but I'd bet he's the one Rowling gives a reprieve to. Hmm. I guess we'll just have to wait a few weeks to find out.

I think I may have to get my reserved copy at midnight this time. But then I'd have to stay up all night to read it.

Duncan J Macdonald
07-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Right after Snape is killed saving Harry from Voldemort's latest curse (Harry being consumed with grief over Ginny's death), Harry turns and grapples with Voldemort - and they both plunge through the Veil in the Ministry of Magic.

Epilogue -- Ron and Hermione marry and move to Oxbridge where Ron becomes a greengrocer, and Hermione becomes a dental hygienist.

Neville and Cho set up light housekeeping in Soho. Neville eventually becomes head Auror when Cho leaves him to become an exotic dancer.

Percy ends up becoming the Minister of Magic, outlaws magic as "Unwholesome" and sentences himself to Azkaban. He ends his days a maddened wretch confined to a prizon with no guards.

Sage
07-10-2007, 06:48 AM
I've heard many good theories on why Dumbledore may still be alive, but I don't really think he is. At a recent convention some panelists did a trial of Snape, & I quite liked the theory presented there that Dumbledore was actually already dead (Snape knows how to put a "stopper in death," which he did when DD got the ring that killed his hand; When Avada Kedavra hit DD, he didn't just keel over & die like every other example of AK, but rather acted more like an inanimate object hit with it, etc.).

My own theories:
-Voldy will assume Neville is the next generation Wormtail & try to get him to turn on Harry, Ron, & Hermione, but Neville won't.
-If Harry is a horcrux (which I don't really think he is, but it's been predicted by many), then when Voldy took his blood to get Lilly's protection, he also returned that piece of his soul. I think they specifically say in 6 that his soul is so fractured that he wouldn't notice what happens to the bits, so he probably wouldn't know that he got it back.
-Harry won't die
-Snape is as good as he could be

I can't think of any more atm, but I'm sure I will

jvc
07-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Here (http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1537716/08022006/story.jhtml) she mentions one character getting a reprieve but she doesn't specifically refer to this applying to HP7.

Accio Quote! (http://www.accio-quote.org/) <---Might be something in here.

Harry might die. (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=060626232443.lhc6qc94&show_article=1) To be honest, a lot of this speculation seems like Rowling-driven hype or deliberate teasers. Okay, there's no need to tease; your book's already sold in the millions by pre-order. Just leave the reader to decide whether it's any good or not.
Thanks SP, some intersting reads there.

And I'm not a GP fan. It sends me to sleep. Same with cricket and golf.

But Rafa's 3-0 up in the fourth. VAMOS! :D
Well, after 5 long sets, Federer won his 5th Wimbledon title in a row. That guy is goooood.

(And a big cheer goes to Jamie Murry for winning the mixed doubles Wimbledon title)

dclary
07-10-2007, 09:18 PM
By himself?

BarbJ
07-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Just heard from Amazon that the book will be delivered the date of release. This must be taking some coordination.

Christine N.
08-22-2007, 03:45 AM
Chunky just repped me and pointed out how eerily close I really was...

I didn't even realize it. Although I got it wrong with some of the deaths, and the Horcrux thing. I really didn't think he was, but then he really wasn't, because Voldy didn't KNOW he was. I was right that it wasn't on purpose.

It is kinda scary.